The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 24, 2020, 09:37:57 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 140316 times)
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #350 on: January 12, 2009, 12:06:25 pm »

Well, that was a nice way to put a few more faces to forum names.

I didn't get a photo of everybody, but here are a few people to beware of around markets!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Not sure when I'll be allowed out in public again. I shall see.
I doubt I'll be able to make the Fryerstown fair. I'll definitely look into the Restorers Barn next time I'm chasing steam trains out of Castlemaine. http://www.vgr.com.au/
(Which reminds me I really need to make some goggles that will keep the soot out of my eyes before the next steam season.)

I always find out about these things too late. 

You should have run into me on the train last week, instead of today.  Smiley

"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #351 on: January 12, 2009, 01:07:44 pm »

What an awesome time i had, and it was great to meet all of you, as Mr Rin stated earlier.. thank goodness we are not alone!

And I caught sight of a dashing young fellow with goggles around his neck, but was far too timid to greet him.
so...

i had goggles hanging around my neck at some point, but i wouldnt describe me as dashing... it probably was catcharmer you were seeing!

i've always wanted to know what the back of my head looks like.  Tongue

Uncle, I'm begining work on that A4 landscape label (PM me what you want on it)

and i'm madly writing down idea's for the Exhibit.

Cheery Bye!

Proper Smashing!
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #352 on: January 12, 2009, 02:49:58 pm »

gah, curses for opting for weekend only shifts! oh well, I'm all for helping out on an exhibition! pming now!
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #353 on: January 13, 2009, 02:27:56 am »

Driving home tonight I saw the most amazing old deep red lether(?? - probably vinyl) wingback chair by the side of the road for hard garbage.

Location - Springvale Road Nunawadding, just north of Whitehorse Road on the west (city) side - sort of between the ambulance station and the chinese resteraunt.

No room at home (sadly) but someone should grab it quick (like - tonight!)
Shocked I think I saw that too during my little car ride to Springvale!... someone grab it! I can't, sick and car-less (or careless for that matter)

It was indeed quite nice to be semi-acquainted with a good group of Steamers (though unable to stay long and alas, I believe everyone dispersed when I was free again [round' 12.30...])
I think meeting up again can be possible, some of us (TRY) to make the market on a regular basis... so yea =P

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
Ms. Ella Gunn
Officer
Australia Australia

Located deep in Halysscyon.

Trapiki
« Reply #354 on: January 13, 2009, 08:11:57 am »

UPDATE on local stuff:

Driving home tonight I saw the most amazing old deep red lether(?? - probably vinyl) wingback chair by the side of the road for hard garbage.

Location - Springvale Road Nunawadding, just north of Whitehorse Road on the west (city) side - sort of between the ambulance station and the chinese resteraunt.

No room at home (sadly) but someone should grab it quick (like - tonight!)

Oh if only I lived down there I would drag my father out of bed in the dead of night to go and get it. I would kill for one.  Cheesy

Alas, I will track another down.

-Ms. Ella Gunn

Tempus est Volatilis
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #355 on: January 13, 2009, 12:38:12 pm »

For all those on Sunday (and the good Prof. Blakehurst from Canberra) who chipped in to send elShoggotho a care package...

Brown paper packages tied up with string - these are a few of our favorite things!

The suitcase fits neatly into an Australia Post box which I bought today. Total cost to post is large so it will be going sea freight, takes about 12 weeks to get there but it is 1/2 the price of air freight.

Thanks again fellow tinkerers - I am sure it will be well received.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #356 on: January 13, 2009, 12:42:12 pm »

Looks bloody brilliant, I am glad I could help (even if I only donated a few items). I hope old 'shoggo enjoys it, I am sure any of us would Cheesy

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #357 on: January 13, 2009, 12:45:32 pm »

Yes, it looks grand. I'm sure Shoggo will enjoy receiving it, even if it does take a wee while to get there!

Dante Aetherson

"The only thing I am truly creative at is spelling!"
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #358 on: January 13, 2009, 09:48:42 pm »

Lovely!

Good work all, and thanks to MadUncle for organising this!

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #359 on: January 16, 2009, 02:34:26 am »

Comrades,

Just got back from posting off the care package...

Silas HarridenMD did a fantastic job on the label for the school case lid. I printed it out on the colour copier, steeped some very strong English Breakfast tea in a bowl, sponged tea over the print to give it an antique look and then used the sponge to pull at the edges of the label, to further the aged look.

Never tried this before - and it worked a treat. The label was stuck on the case lid with spray adhesive and rubbed down.

End result - it looked like it had been there 100 years. Grin

Might use the same trick for the raygun box - then post it in the 'how to' thread.

PS - have used a coffee stain before but the risk is it will always reek of coffee. Tea gives a nicer smell to paper.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #360 on: January 16, 2009, 02:36:15 am »

Pics please!

Once again, thank you for organising this Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #361 on: January 16, 2009, 09:58:09 am »

Pics please!

Once again, thank you for organising this Smiley

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=13410.0

There are the pics - I started a 'how to' for you Rowan.
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #362 on: January 16, 2009, 02:38:09 pm »

Nice aging there MadUncle, maybe i should start a how to.. make old documents on your computer.

Is there going to be a meet up this Sunday, the 18th, i seem to remember that the Castlemain visit is next weekend, so is anyone going this Sunday, i'll be there, looking for a pirate chest!
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #363 on: January 17, 2009, 08:27:41 am »

darn, so nobody's going to be at camberwell market on the 25th???

bollocks!

I'll be there with my man anyway, both of us dressed steamy, so if anyone else is missing out on the other trip and going to camberwell instead, let me know!!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #364 on: January 17, 2009, 12:50:53 pm »

Castlemaine?

Hmmm...

Well - on Saturday 24th the good lady wife and I are going to have a look at a Victorian cottage for sale in Lancefield, we will then travel on to Castlemaine for lunch and a browse.

Anyone planning to be there on Saturday?

(PM me)
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #365 on: January 18, 2009, 05:59:43 am »

Well, i went...

here's what i got,

i'm working on both the 24th and 25th of this month, so no trips anywhere for me! Cry

Cheers
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #366 on: January 18, 2009, 06:42:33 am »

Well, i went...

here's what i got,

i'm working on both the 24th and 25th of this month, so no trips anywhere for me! Cry

Cheers

Nice finds there sir! I particularly like the valve thingy with the curly bit. Good stuff.

alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #367 on: January 18, 2009, 09:52:05 am »

Had a very brief visit to Pipeworks market (Campbellfield) today.   Bigger than Camberwell, but far more of the new stuff compared to the used stuff.    Having said that, its worth a look if you're in the area.

Next weekend I'll visit the Laverton market. 

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #368 on: January 18, 2009, 11:45:01 am »

Had a very brief visit to Pipeworks market (Campbellfield) today.   Bigger than Camberwell, but far more of the new stuff compared to the used stuff.    Having said that, its worth a look if you're in the area.

You found stuff at pipeworks?

I spent 35 seconds there once before I ran screaming from the premises - what did I miss?
alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #369 on: January 18, 2009, 03:29:44 pm »

You found stuff at pipeworks?
I spent 35 seconds there once before I ran screaming from the premises - what did I miss?

Because I was only there on a spur of the moment thing during my lunch break, I only spent about 35 seconds there myself, but around the back there was a 'trash and treasure'  section.    A big shed that seemed to be the 'used' section.     If I was to return (and I may do next weekend*) then its probably the only area I would investigate further.

*Laverton on saturday, Pipeworks on sunday.   Kill me if I dont find something worth buying in that lot.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #370 on: January 18, 2009, 11:43:23 pm »

Had a very brief visit to Pipeworks market (Campbellfield) today.   Bigger than Camberwell, but far more of the new stuff compared to the used stuff.    Having said that, its worth a look if you're in the area.

Good lord, I was there too on Sunday. I have always driven past the thing and wondered if there was anything worthwhile there.

The most interesting thing I saw was a scary looking meat grinder. Driven by an electric motor attached to a big drive wheel.
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #371 on: January 21, 2009, 03:14:47 pm »

Bah humbug - we were planning to go up to the Antiques Fair on Sunday (I'm working Saturday) but I have discovered I have to attend a meeting on Sunday I can't get out of, so looks like Monday would be the only day and I have a feeling it will have been well picked over by then, so looks like no fun hunting for us this weekend at all. Whaa.

Follow the Antipodean League of Temporal Voyagers on Twitter!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #372 on: January 21, 2009, 09:01:45 pm »

Bah humbug - we were planning to go up to the Antiques Fair on Sunday (I'm working Saturday) but I have discovered I have to attend a meeting on Sunday I can't get out of, so looks like Monday would be the only day and I have a feeling it will have been well picked over by then, so looks like no fun hunting for us this weekend at all. Whaa.

Early planning phase - but how about 8th Feb Camberwell market (we could plan to meet up every 2nd Sunday of the month...)
elShoggotho
« Reply #373 on: January 21, 2009, 09:17:40 pm »

Package arrived. There's no grinning smiley big enough for my grin... well, worth a try...
Grin YAY! Grin
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #374 on: January 22, 2009, 01:56:44 am »

My lordy lord that was fast!

I posted it on Friday 16th January by sea freight and was told it would be up to twelve weeks.

Must have got snuck onto a superfast steamship of sorts.

Anyway - great photo's and it brings a warmth to the cockles of my heart.

Grin
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 [15] 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: