The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 13, 2019, 05:12:56 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 134115 times)
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #325 on: January 10, 2009, 08:07:16 am »

REDBULLS FOR HARRIDEN!!!
Oh and i've never been to the camberwell market and have no clue as to get there so if you here of a steam enthusiast being killed by a train (how ironic) you'll know what happened to me!
Just be careful how many redbulls you drink or you could well wind up dead.
(Friend: You know if you drink four cans of redbull in a row you could die?
Me: How many have you had?
Friend: Three and a half. *swigs*)
Anyway, the market is quite small, but fairly easy to find, especially if you're going by train.
I look foward to seeing you all there tomorrow!
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #326 on: January 10, 2009, 09:11:05 am »

Cry work work.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #327 on: January 10, 2009, 11:03:44 am »

Excellent!

So fart as I can tell - Rowan, myself and several otyher early risers will be at the market (top end of the covered walkway) at seven am tomorrow, with mor arriving around 10am.

The market is easy to find from the Camberwell station - just walk down Bourke Road to the first set of lights, turn left and walk up to the first street on the right, walk down that street and you will be in the market.

I shall be recognisable in green fedora adorned with goggles, white shirt, grey waistcoat adorned with gearwheel badge and large grin as I trawl the stalls.

Toodle pip

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #328 on: January 10, 2009, 11:26:13 am »

It looks like I'll be able to make it also, enjoying my last day of freedom before I go back to work.
I'll get there as early as I can. (But no earlier!) No idea what time that will be. I want a few bits and pieces to finish something off, but I'm not actually sure what I want. I'm sure you're familiar with that one.  Smiley

"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #329 on: January 10, 2009, 02:10:18 pm »

I will most probably wearing a navy waistcoat with pinstripe pants.

Hope to see you all there!

If for some reason you you get lost or something similar, I am contactable on
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #330 on: January 10, 2009, 02:40:51 pm »

I'll be there at some stage too... all depends on what time I drag my proverbial out of bed... Looks at the clock... Somehow I don't think I'll be there by 7. *chuckles*

Dante Aetherson

"The only thing I am truly creative at is spelling!"
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #331 on: January 10, 2009, 02:43:17 pm »

Blimey, so late already!
Yea, I'll be there at 9am (if I get my 8am train)

I just realised that this notification is sorta useless now... being so late

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #332 on: January 10, 2009, 03:52:59 pm »

Well good luck to all you early risers and I hope there will be another large meeting of peoples in the future.

Good hunting!

Or should that be good luck hunting...

No I prefer the image of a bunch of steampunkers terrorising Camberwell market because of a freak of reality and physics has made their rayguns a reality...
« Last Edit: January 10, 2009, 04:02:26 pm by orangealert » Logged
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #333 on: January 10, 2009, 11:00:14 pm »

Well, while you're all meeting up at Camberwell, I've been waiting for a train here at Richmond for over 45 minutes.
Oh, here it comes at last. *sigh*
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #334 on: January 11, 2009, 03:43:09 am »

Well, I made it to the market at around 10am, inappropriately dressed due to my wardrobe being in Ballarat, and was completely unaware of the meetup plans. So I missed you all unfortunately, although I spotted some AMAZING things!

And I caught sight of a dashing young fellow with goggles around his neck, but was far too timid to greet him.
so...

next time?
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #335 on: January 11, 2009, 08:08:30 am »

Well, I made it to the market at around 10am, inappropriately dressed due to my wardrobe being in Ballarat, and was completely unaware of the meetup plans. So I missed you all unfortunately, although I spotted some AMAZING things!

And I caught sight of a dashing young fellow with goggles around his neck, but was far too timid to greet him.
so...

next time?

Oh Lily, we were all there around that time!

Coffee just after ten saw the following in attendance (I think I have you all - please scream out if I missed you):

Rowan of Rin
Dante Aetherson (and four lovely friends)
Wildilocks (and Jeremy)
Silas Harriden
Captain Phania
Robo Von Bismark (with amazing ray gun and monogoggle)
Horse Brass
The Lone Cat Charmer (momentarily)
Alfa1 (an early starter browsing somewhere)
and myself!

Although - my goggles were on my hat, not around my neck! You must have been mistaken.

Next time - please SMS me (0448 324 309) as others did, and we will be sure to find you.

Meanwhile - I have wrapped over 20 small parcels in brown paper and string and written notes on them all for the 'elShoggotho care package'.

Now I have to get it weighed Huh

During the meanwhile - plans for an exhibition of sorts were discussed as part of Melbourne Fringe, in league with the league.

If you are interested in exhibiting, display dressing, attending as a volunteer supervisor for a shift, helping out in other ways... PM me and once I have critical mass (around 20 offers of help should do it) I will start a new thread on "Melbourne exhibition  - work in progress".

What a great day at the market!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 08:10:33 am by maduncle » Logged
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #336 on: January 11, 2009, 09:22:38 am »

so...

next time?

Oh Lily, we were all there around that time!

Coffee just after ten saw the following in attendance (I think I have you all - please scream out if I missed you):

Rowan of Rin
Dante Aetherson (and four lovely friends)
Wildilocks (and Jeremy)
Silas Harriden
Captain Phania
Robo Von Bismark (with amazing ray gun and monogoggle)
Horse Brass
The Lone Cat Charmer (momentarily)
and myself!

Although - my goggles were on my hat, not around my neck! You must have been mistaken.

Next time - please SMS me (0448 324 309) as others did, and we will be sure to find you.

hahaha, there must have been more than one dashing gentleman at the market.
The young man I spotted, I suspect, was The Lone Cat Charmer, but I'm not sure :p a belated hello to you!

we need a steampunk handshake, like the masons... so you can just walk up to people and say... "And what if I were to shake your hand like this...?" and then proceed to make shadow puppets of cthulhu. Or the air kraken.

in any case, I didn't want to spoil your aesthetic, i was dressed appallingly :p Next time, though! I shall pack a steampunk travel kit.

would anyone object to me bringing an asian ball-jointed doll to a gathering? the freak the hell out of some people so I thought i'd ask.

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #337 on: January 11, 2009, 01:03:38 pm »

Well, that was lots of fun, I must say, it is great knowing there are people out there who don't think you are completely mad (or know you are, but don't care Wink). Lovely meeting you all, I really hope we can make this exhibition a reality, and take many other peoples imaginations hostage, and soon we will be an unstoppable force!

Cliff: Dante's friends were the most lovely MsSerendipitySwan, and her two children Miss Alexandra, Master Lawson. Smiley
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #338 on: January 11, 2009, 02:37:17 pm »

Well, today was wonderful fun! Was great to meet all of you we had not met before (especially Cliff), and remeet those who I had far too little time to converse with (or even remember correctly in some cases :/) at Euchronia!

We had some lovely finds even in the last hour of the markets, Jeremy scored some of the nicest and cheapest Pince Nez around and a hip flask, I scored a lovely gold mechanical pencil and a few random things such as stereoscope views, a hand mirror, a mother of pearl spoon, wall mirror and some side tables; and up at the Camberwell Antiques Centre some fantastic printed publications we'll most likely scan and put on the ALTV blog, more steroscope views, and some lovely Victorian clothing, a delightful lace silk dress and a long petticoat. Oh and an Andrews Sisters 78, but that's more Swing than Steampunk (though I do think the two are not mutually exclusive!)

All up highly successful day and we look forward to plotting the furthering of Steampunk with all of you, especially the planning of the potential Fringe exhibit!

Follow the Antipodean League of Temporal Voyagers on Twitter!
alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #339 on: January 11, 2009, 08:56:03 pm »

Actually by that time I was home asleep in bed.
12 hour night shift work means that I needed to get a good days sleep.
But it was good to meet you, and yes I did get that big old brass pressure gauge.

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #340 on: January 11, 2009, 11:25:18 pm »

Actually by that time I was home asleep in bed.
12 hour night shift work means that I needed to get a good days sleep.
But it was good to meet you, and yes I did get that big old brass pressure gauge.

Glad you got the pressure gauge, but I think Rowan pipped you with the one he got (identical to yours) for five bucks!

Also - if you PM me your blog address I can do a shout out from mine.
Robo Von Bismark
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #341 on: January 11, 2009, 11:38:55 pm »

And thanks to both Maduncle and Rowan of Rin for showing me where the "good stuff" is at the Camberwell market. And who to avoid for being $$$$$.
flyladyhawke
Swab

Australia Australia

« Reply #342 on: January 12, 2009, 03:45:17 am »

I always find out about these things too late. 

Hopefully, there will be another soon...    Smiley
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #343 on: January 12, 2009, 05:18:08 am »

Actually, we picked up a flyer for an antiques fair out at Fryerstown (near Castlemaine, googlemaps) It's on for 3 days Sat 24th - Mon 26th Jan - anyone interested in a daytrip possibly? Apparently it's not very close to a train line though so need vehicles.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #344 on: January 12, 2009, 06:05:18 am »

Actually, we picked up a flyer for an antiques fair out at Fryerstown (near Castlemaine, googlemaps) It's on for 3 days Sat 24th - Mon 26th Jan - anyone interested in a daytrip possibly? Apparently it's not very close to a train line though so need vehicles.

I will be there on the Saturday, if this goes ahead, give me a yell, and we can meet up Smiley
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #345 on: January 12, 2009, 08:13:22 am »

Also, I thought I'd mention that i scored at the camberwell market.
A set of scales accurate to a 100th of a gram. guess how much i paid for them... go on, guess!!!

large blurry image, i apologise. but this find is the absolute awesome, this is the thing i was worried most about finding for my studio, it's such a luxury to have one <3

okay i'll stop now :p

I also spotted a WW2 gas mask, several aviators hats, and some valves, as well as old medicine bottles i'd have liked to own, however instead I came back with some cheap but ill-fitting clothes, and some awesome red shoes.
and played spot the celebrity with my almost stepmum, who appears not to watch tv either. man i love her <3
I came out of that market wanting to do it all again tomorrow, so if you guys are meeting up again, count me in!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 11:09:58 am by Lt. Lily Shaw » Logged
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #346 on: January 12, 2009, 08:32:41 am »

It was very nice to meet those who attended yesterday, and I'm sorry we missed you, Miss Shaw! It was especially delightful to meet the young Miss Alexandra and Master Lawson.
I scored a beige military-styled jacket for $30, which is a little bit big, but will get a lot of use anyway. My mother and I have also got our collective eyes on a chair we spotted.
I'm going to be busy with a project for a while (not to mention homework and getting my wisdom teeth out), but I'll let you know if I'm heading to Camberwell any time soon for parts.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #347 on: January 12, 2009, 11:43:49 am »

Gosh I feel like a proud dad (so should you for starting all this Rowan) - having intoduced so many people to the market! Everyone comes away with something cool.

UPDATE on local stuff:

Driving home tonight I saw the most amazing old deep red lether(?? - probably vinyl) wingback chair by the side of the road for hard garbage.

Location - Springvale Road Nunawadding, just north of Whitehorse Road on the west (city) side - sort of between the ambulance station and the chinese resteraunt.

No room at home (sadly) but someone should grab it quick (like - tonight!)

Sadly - I won't make the Castlemaine gig but I THOROUGHLY recommend the Restoroers Barn as a source of a huge range of stuff - you cannot go to Castlemaine without going there!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #348 on: January 12, 2009, 11:47:16 am »

Gosh I feel like a proud dad (so should you for starting all this Rowan) - having intoduced so many people to the market! Everyone comes away with something cool.

UPDATE on local stuff:

Driving home tonight I saw the most amazing old deep red lether(?? - probably vinyl) wingback chair by the side of the road for hard garbage.

Location - Springvale Road Nunawadding, just north of Whitehorse Road on the west (city) side - sort of between the ambulance station and the chinese resteraunt.

No room at home (sadly) but someone should grab it quick (like - tonight!)

Sadly - I won't make the Castlemaine gig but I THOROUGHLY recommend the Restoroers Barn as a source of a huge range of stuff - you cannot go to Castlemaine without going there!
Oh, I do feel proud, I still cannot believe there are so many of us! A few months ago, I thought I was all alone, and now all of a sudden I have a new (steampunk) family!

Re: Restorers Barn, of course I will go, that was half the incentive to go at all Cheesy I have high hopes for it Smiley
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #349 on: January 12, 2009, 12:02:41 pm »

Well, that was lots of fun, I must say, it is great knowing there are people out there who don't think you are completely mad (or know you are, but don't care Wink). Lovely meeting you all, I really hope we can make this exhibition a reality, and take many other peoples imaginations hostage, and soon we will be an unstoppable force!

Cliff: Dante's friends were the most lovely MsSerendipitySwan, and her two children Miss Alexandra, Master Lawson. Smiley

It was a lot of fun. The expo sounds like serious fun too.

Cliff, Ms Swan was also accompanied by our friend the dashing Mister Rob (doesn't post here, yet! )

Wildilocks: Sorry about not following up on the movie. By the time it occurred to me that I hadn't hung around long enough to find out if it was playing, I'd lost you in the crowd. I did look it up when I got home, but it didn't appear to be playing. Perhaps we could organise a meetup when it comes out on DVD? (City of Embers for those who don't know).

I think it would be good to do the market meet again, in the near future.

Cheers!

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: