The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 16, 2019, 10:47:18 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 134152 times)
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #275 on: December 24, 2008, 10:40:12 pm »

On another topic, anyone thinking of going to http://www.euchronia.com/ "Euchronia is a steampunk / neo-Victorian Year's End Ball taking place in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on the last day of the calendar year of 2008."?

Salutations one and all... a very belated response here!

I shall be attending the ball! I still have a lot of work to do on my outfit due to some serious procrastination, but I'm very excited about the prospect of seeing loads of people steaming it up. Hopefully I can pull something suitably steamy together... I suspect the horse and carriage mob will be having a very busy evening. hehe

Dante Aetherson

"The only thing I am truly creative at is spelling!"
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #276 on: December 26, 2008, 01:50:02 am »

I'm going to go to the Ball -just not enter. I shall watch at the doors for a bit and marvel at everyone's attire and curse 1991.
But for those who are also elsewhere and occupied, have a safe holiday.
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #277 on: December 26, 2008, 08:55:17 am »

I'm going to go to the Ball -just not enter. I shall watch at the doors for a bit and marvel at everyone's attire and curse 1991.

Why that is a splendid idea! I might just rock up steamy and all and simply not enter!

Also, I am not too certain if anyone has noticed, but I must announce a congrats to Mr Rowan of Rin for his promotion to MOD!
*shakes hands and letting off fireworks*
Thanks for being a lively and madman of a contributor to the world of BG! XD

Happy holidays all

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #278 on: December 26, 2008, 03:36:17 pm »

Hmmm...won't that be a little bit creepy?
Hanging out watching and staring at everyone in the steamy-magnificence?
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #279 on: December 27, 2008, 05:45:41 am »

I would venture to say it's most likely got more to do with being under the age of 18 than any creepiness, orangealert!

Actually, as there's been significant interest from the age-challenged and we're really sad we can't make it all-ages, we're rather tempted to offer a free carriage ride to any of you chaps and lasses who'd like to come but unfortunately can't be let past the gates - would have to be a little past 8pm, as that's the only time the carriage is likely to be free and there won't be people entering much between 8-9 as that's when the League pre-event is on and doors don't open officially til 9. We'd also need to confirm it withe carriage driver, so - would there be interest from many of you? We'd be making it a condition that you'll need to show ID to the driver and you actually *have* to be under 18 to be eligible for a free ride, and a maximum of 6 persons.

Follow the Antipodean League of Temporal Voyagers on Twitter!
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #280 on: December 27, 2008, 12:50:28 pm »

Ah..whoops, didn't realise they were less than 18.
That's far less creepy.

I've decided on a side not (regarding my quandary regarding my raygun), that after a practical test of walking around with it for a couple of hours today there are a few flaws.

It being made out of metal makes it heavy, so heavy that despite being on my belt (and the belt being tight)...it slowly pulls my pants down (not very dapper). Additionally as one of my holsters isn't tethered when walking along it whacks against my thigh (possibly adding to the less than gentlemanly pants descent). And secondly as I'll be returning home on the train with other revellers post New Years I don't want to be tackled by the police (or anyone else come to think of it).

So returning to the drawing board and hopping for some inspiration spurrs me on in time for NYE.

CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #281 on: December 28, 2008, 01:23:28 am »

I would venture to say it's most likely got more to do with being under the age of 18 than any creepiness, orangealert!

Actually, as there's been significant interest from the age-challenged and we're really sad we can't make it all-ages, we're rather tempted to offer a free carriage ride to any of you chaps and lasses who'd like to come but unfortunately can't be let past the gates - would have to be a little past 8pm, as that's the only time the carriage is likely to be free and there won't be people entering much between 8-9 as that's when the League pre-event is on and doors don't open officially til 9. We'd also need to confirm it withe carriage driver, so - would there be interest from many of you? We'd be making it a condition that you'll need to show ID to the driver and you actually *have* to be under 18 to be eligible for a free ride, and a maximum of 6 persons.
Oh, thank-you for this offer - a most generous gesture! I am definitely interested. It would be the perfect opportunity for an under 18 yet still steampunk New Year's Eve.
(And no, orangearlert, watching people from the shadows is not creepy, if you are also dressed up...or at least dressed.)
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #282 on: December 28, 2008, 10:57:48 am »

Whilst the carriage ride is definitely quite an offer, what would happen if you are over 18 (I'm 19 actually)... but still not entering the gates of Euchronia? I assume no free ride, so what is my fee IF I do take up the offer?
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #283 on: December 29, 2008, 03:02:40 am »

Whilst the carriage ride is definitely quite an offer, what would happen if you are over 18 (I'm 19 actually)... but still not entering the gates of Euchronia? I assume no free ride, so what is my fee IF I do take up the offer?
I wanted to ask this too.
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #284 on: December 29, 2008, 04:42:12 am »

I too live right near epping, but unfortuneately I start work on the 10th so again I miss out on the markets! still, only a few days to go till Euchronia!
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #285 on: December 30, 2008, 01:52:19 am »

Ah! ... now there's a question I wasn't expecting! The cost to us, with 6 people per carriage for a 30 minute joyride, is just under $20, so I guess that would be a nice round sum. We're wearing a little bit of cost for this because of the requirements of the carriage company and our need to have people picked up before the League event, so any recoup on the $ spent is most welcome! If you'd be keen for a carriage ride, the carriage will be dropping people off at around 8, and we could take a group of you out then. If you are keen, you'll need to see our gal on the door with your ID if under 18, or $20 if you're in the above situation, we'll compile a list of names which will be given to the driver. First in best dressed (though I'm sure you'd all be best dressed, regardless!) and you can give your name here, I'll check in before the event tomorrow too Smiley
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #286 on: December 30, 2008, 11:44:48 am »

oh also - little bit of a change of plans, will have to be about 8.30 rather than 8 - the horses have to come up quite a hill on their ride up to Lygon St and the driver wants to give them a bit of a breather before starting the joyrides. But we are still go Smiley
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #287 on: December 30, 2008, 03:54:37 pm »

Hurrah!
Less than 24 hours till Euchronia!

The poor horses, it is a fairly steep hill, plus I imagine while they are accustomened to noise and what not, New Years Eve must be particularly trying for them.
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #288 on: January 01, 2009, 03:35:36 am »

Hurrah!
Less than 24 hours till Euchronia!

The poor horses, it is a fairly steep hill, plus I imagine while they are accustomed to noise and what not, New Years Eve must be particularly trying for them.

It was a great night, I had a lot of fun. Massive Kudos to Wildilocks and friends for a massive effort and a well executed event! The outfits were *AWESOME*

I did feel a bit sorry for the horses as they pulled off from outside the Library, but they seemed to settle in nicely once they got us moving.

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #289 on: January 01, 2009, 07:31:30 am »

Glad to hear Euchronia was such a hit - I look forward to getting more involved with the league on other projects...

During the meanwhile... I think the next Camberwell Market is the 11th January - am I correct Rowan?

Otherwise some good swap meets are coming up soon, such as Epping on the 1st Feb, and Yarra Glen soon.

Or - we can arrange an afternoon tea somewhere, I think it is high time (well, high tea time that is).

A sunday after a market visit would be lovely.

cheers all

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #290 on: January 01, 2009, 08:25:29 am »

I'm going to go to the Ball -just not enter. I shall watch at the doors for a bit and marvel at everyones attire and curse 1991.

It was lovely to meet you yesterday evening CaptainPhania. My friend Serendipity Swan was rather taken with the idea that you had gone to so much effort to get dressed up for the sole purpose of "watching at the doors for a bit". I hope you got to go for a ride?

Glad to hear Euchronia was such a hit - I look forward to getting more involved with the league on other projects...

During the meanwhile... I think the next Camberwell Market is the 11th January - am I correct Rowan?

Otherwise some good swap meets are coming up soon, such as Epping on the 1st Feb, and Yarra Glen soon.

Or - we can arrange an afternoon tea somewhere, I think it is high time (well, high tea time that is).

A sunday after a market visit would be lovely.

cheers all

I'm well overdue to attend another meet.  I shall do my best to attend the next one. I got lots of ideas from all the outfits last night and am keen to hunt for bits and bobs. I had hoped Camberwell Market would be running this Sunday. Shame.

Dante
« Last Edit: January 01, 2009, 08:29:43 am by Dante Aetherson » Logged
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #291 on: January 01, 2009, 10:25:37 am »

Good to hear Euchronia was awesome, reckon they'll have one next year?

Ah, I was unable to make the "door watching" yesterday evening! In fact Mr Rowan and I were to be there actually (all dressed and dashingly handsome of course!) unfortunately, due to some unforeseen circumstances, we were unable to be there.

Ach, no worries I guess

09' looks promising and even though the question was aimed at Rowan, I believe the market restarts on the 4th of Jan, quite soon actually!

How are our January timetables looking?
I am not busy at all after the 8th of January.
Rosalie
Gunner

« Reply #292 on: January 01, 2009, 10:31:46 am »

I'm well overdue to attend another meet.  I shall do my best to attend the next one. I got lots of ideas from all the outfits last night and am keen to hunt for bits and bobs.

I second this, my goodness - I've never been to a steampunk meet before so I was blown away. I think I'll have to come out of hiding now and try and meet more people into the fashion.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #293 on: January 01, 2009, 11:51:13 am »

Just checked the Camberwell Market website http://www.sundaymarket.com.au/home_set.htm and it IS on this coming sunday the 4th.

I won't be able to make this one as I am in the middle of deck building at home (plus I have fire brigade station duty on the first Sunday of every month) BUT I plan to be there on the 11th if anyone else want's to meet up.

As for other steampunk activities - I am talking to the organisers of Euchronia and founders of the league about the chance of curating an exhibition later in the year, if I can get this off the ground and make it part of Fringe Festival then we might have some real fun creating steampunk settings and dioramas (I am thinking along the lines of a steampunk museum...)

Hmmm...
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #294 on: January 01, 2009, 12:17:14 pm »

Yeah I was astonished at the amount of steam attire at Euchronia, it's good to see that it can have a solid interest around these parts. I'm looking at saving up to turn a small boat into an airship, (as in a giant balloon, not particularly able to fly) just to have around as an accomplishment/film prop. If we have an exhibiton it would be more of a drive to create such a thing.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #295 on: January 01, 2009, 01:41:32 pm »

Euchronia sounded great fun, I hope to come next year if it is happening again!

I am up for a Sunday meet on the 11th, for sure!

A steampunk exhibition sounds fantastic, a great way to meet new people and show off our things Smiley

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
OmegaMorningstar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

steampunkerie
« Reply #296 on: January 01, 2009, 05:04:42 pm »

Euchronia was indeed full of utter fabulousness! I had a heck of a lot of fun.

I was hugely impressed at the effort everyone had gone to, so so many beautiful things! How very grateful I am to Cass & Jeremy for working so hard to make it happen for us all.

For locals wanting to keep in touch.. I run the Australian Steampunks group on Facebook, and also the aus_steampunk community on livejournal, and as of today - melbournesteam on lj too..

I think we really have a chance to build on the momentum that we have got right this minute.. I for one am keen to take advantage of it!!

CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #297 on: January 02, 2009, 10:11:38 am »

I am up for a Sunday meet on the 11th, for sure!

A steampunk exhibition sounds fantastic, a great way to meet new people and show off our things Smiley
I should be back from my Christmas travels by the 10th (Russian Christmas, if that clause didn't make sense), so I'd be up for a meet on the 11th.
Ooh, an exhibition sounds interesting...I'll have to start a few projects.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #298 on: January 02, 2009, 10:33:41 am »

Excellent - we have a few for a get together on the 11th!

I bought a brand new waist-coat (on special) today and I steampunked my cufflinks with some little gear wheels, so I shall dress the part (or partially dress the part) for the market on the 11th.

I am on the hunt for parts for my next few builds - so I need to trawl the stalls.

I will be aiming for a seven am start, to get the goodies early. I imagine Rowan will be there at that time, but others can nominate a time to meet and we will find you (ve have vays...)

Huzzah - our little band of intrepid antipodean steampunk engineers, tinkerers and explorers shall unite!
OmegaMorningstar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

steampunkerie
« Reply #299 on: January 02, 2009, 11:48:43 am »

Oh dash and bother.. I will be away on the 11th Jan.. So, my stalwart companions, you must promise to make another date with alacrity, at this meetup.. yes??

the market looks smashing, I will definitely have to check it out soon..
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: