The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 22, 2019, 06:13:50 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 134241 times)
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #250 on: December 14, 2008, 01:13:30 pm »

i guess its market 09 for me then, i was not in a travelling frame of mind sunday morning, ( i was passed out on a matress in the middle of my brothers living room! Embarrassed )

last awesome thing i found anywhere was a pair of binoculars that looks like a cigarette case
and here's a gif
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Proper Smashing!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2008, 01:40:16 am »

PS - anyone got any laboratory clamps?

Yes.

Cheesy

What sort of clamps ? Retort, burette, something else ? I see them pop up every so often in the trash/treasure markets, garage sales and so on, so keep an eye out. Or if you want to buy new ones, they are about US$5 - 8 each.

And they're HIGHLY useful for other things as well - holding odd shapes in place on the workbench and other hobby-type things.

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #252 on: December 15, 2008, 11:38:04 am »

PS - anyone got any laboratory clamps?

Yes.

Cheesy

What sort of clamps ? Retort, burette, something else ? I see them pop up every so often in the trash/treasure markets, garage sales and so on, so keep an eye out. Or if you want to buy new ones, they are about US$5 - 8 each.

And they're HIGHLY useful for other things as well - holding odd shapes in place on the workbench and other hobby-type things.

Um... well I want a clamp that can hold the neck of a flask (around 30mm dia) complete with a longish (200mm) arm on it. And I need a thingy that can then hold the arm in place on another rod (around 10mm dia) at right angles. Does that help?

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #253 on: December 16, 2008, 01:27:32 am »

Um... well I want a clamp that can hold the neck of a flask (around 30mm dia) complete with a longish (200mm) arm on it. And I need a thingy that can then hold the arm in place on another rod (around 10mm dia) at right angles. Does that help?

I'll see what I have - 200mm is a bit unusual; I think I only have one which gets used on occasion. I shall also keep an eye out for you!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #254 on: December 16, 2008, 02:44:18 am »

Thanks Prof!

I can always use one with a shorter shaft ans sleeve theshaft wit hbrass tube, the challenge is the bracket that can mount the clamp to the upright tube.

Grin
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2008, 12:28:37 pm »

Great to see there are others of this spiffing group that will be attending Euchronia.
I bought my ticket shortly after finding out about it.

I am looking forward to it, and how they transform the Trades Hall into steampunkified wonderland.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:31:20 pm by orangealert » Logged
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2008, 01:40:06 pm »

I've got a few friends interested too, had to travel with them to find a nice outfit to wear. I've finished my girlfriend's goggles for christmas so we are nearly set. Onyl I am poor until christmas eve so i won't be buying ticekts till after christmas :/ WIll peril underground still be selling them?

edit: Oh, I thought i posted on the euchronia website a question about prop weapons, and whether they will be permitted in the venue. Doesn't look like it added the comment :x
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 01:42:22 pm by Redmund Playfoot » Logged
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #257 on: December 16, 2008, 02:52:49 pm »

Confound and blast it for no money, otherwise I could be attending this spiffy little event
Besides my girl has gone interstate and she is all steampunk fashion loving...  so I ain't going to any Steampunk ball without her!

Hope you guys have tons o' fun and snap tons o' pics!  Grin

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #258 on: December 17, 2008, 10:48:11 am »

In fact  - I might suggest a new post "Euchronia in Melbourne, New Years Eve"

Perhaps the organisers (who watch this post) could start it and those who attend could post pics for us to enjoy.

If you really want to know why I am not attending, see the latest dedication post on my blog (I intend to continue to enjoy the extended honeymoon period with the love of my life)

PS - check out my new post in metaphysical...

... I found a new project Undecided
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #259 on: December 17, 2008, 04:17:10 pm »

i found your new project uncle, isnt it a little big to get on your standard trailer.
saying that... it would make the best steam lab!

check it out if your baffled by my comments!
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=12801.0
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #260 on: December 17, 2008, 10:21:34 pm »

I am sure that with the help of the Antipodean steampunk community (including those greedy newsouthwelshmen who lust after vacuum testing devices) we could roll it to my workshop from where it is perched. I mean - it is downhilll al the way according to the map.
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #261 on: December 18, 2008, 11:10:14 am »

I've got a few friends interested too, had to travel with them to find a nice outfit to wear. I've finished my girlfriend's goggles for christmas so we are nearly set. Onyl I am poor until christmas eve so i won't be buying ticekts till after christmas :/ WIll peril underground still be selling them?

edit: Oh, I thought i posted on the euchronia website a question about prop weapons, and whether they will be permitted in the venue. Doesn't look like it added the comment :x

Peril has them for sale right up til close of business NYE, but you can also come by the Lockworks and say hi to us, we're just around the corner!

Yes unfortunately the managers have said they are really down on any kind of prop weapons - I am still saying take your chances [especially if you want to take photos out the pretty front entrance - is very grand] and we will look after any "weapons" that security deem inappropriate, in the cloakroom for no charge.

Follow the Antipodean League of Temporal Voyagers on Twitter!
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #262 on: December 18, 2008, 11:12:25 am »

In fact  - I might suggest a new post "Euchronia in Melbourne, New Years Eve"

Perhaps the organisers (who watch this post) could start it and those who attend could post pics for us to enjoy.

*rustles and scuffles can be heard in the background*

... I had one around here somewhere....
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #263 on: December 18, 2008, 05:58:59 pm »

Peril has them for sale right up til close of business NYE, but you can also come by the Lockworks and say hi to us, we're just around the corner!

Yes unfortunately the managers have said they are really down on any kind of prop weapons - I am still saying take your chances [especially if you want to take photos out the pretty front entrance - is very grand] and we will look after any "weapons" that security deem inappropriate, in the cloakroom for no charge.

Now I'm worried, I wanna bring my raygun with me (it's mostly metal) as it really complements my outfit...

Why are security concerned about prop weapons?
They're not likely to fire, and if they can fire I think we should all be a little bit worried.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #264 on: December 18, 2008, 10:22:16 pm »

Oh don't blame the organisers - they would have all the scary props there if possible.

I think you will find it is the owners or managers of Trades Hall, ironic that their insurance policy was probably written in Victorian times!

Your challenge would be to make a prop that looks nothing like a weapon - perhaps concentrate on the costme and goggles (or make a wicked monogoggle like Taggerts)
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #265 on: December 19, 2008, 03:54:16 am »

Maybe I could try arguing that it's a phallic symbol and it's got a handle so I can brandish it at the locals.
wildilocks
Gunner
Australia Australia

Mme Ermyntrude Millais

« Reply #266 on: December 20, 2008, 11:58:56 pm »

Sorry not to have addressed this earlier - I finally had a moment to check up on this, and have discovered that our forums have not been working properly - no idea why, but we're running on Drupal and it has all kinds of little quirks  in the forum software that we're discovering as we go! It appears that new posts have only been visible when logged in - we've changed that, and now the post & reply should  be visible without being logged in.

This kinda explains to us partly perhaps why there's not been many posts, but we intended the forums there to be mainly Q&A for people attending, rather than a social hub [there's more than enough of those, BG is a fine one!]

Aaaaaaaanyway, I'll C&P the answer I gave there weeks and weeks ago!

>>

Greetings, fine tinkerer and proponent of all things steamy and weapon-oriented!

We've sent missives to the Powers That Be, and unfortunately the response has indeed been less than favourable, as below:

... general 'no weapons' or 'weapon-equivalent' policy ... saves us a pile of potential worries. I don't want any of your patrons getting into trouble with the law, especially on NYE in a city that's completely beside itself with the shadowy threat of 'after-hour violence'. Seriously, Victoria is not the state for it at the moment ... Sorry to disappoint your patron.

With most venues these days licensees are unbearably paranoid. I went to Global Gathering just last weekend, and I was not even allowed to enter with a parasol! Honestly, I was forced to endure hours in the horrid sun simply because they feared some drunken yob would seize my shading device and skewer people with it. An outrage, truly. It is our understanding that the venue for Euchronia will not be quite so restrictive however, and such items as canes and parasols will be perfectly permissible. But unfortunately the outlook for faux weaponry is rather grim.

Please note that we do have cloakroom facilities, and if any items of costume brought along by patrons are considered by the PTBs to be unsuitable, dangerous, &tc &tc, then they will held safely at the cloakroom free of charge.

>>

As I said before though, I think it may well not be enforced, especially if the items are very obviously fake - it's just the venue covering their ass, and everyone seems to be more paranoid than ever before right now :/

orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #267 on: December 21, 2008, 03:39:09 pm »

Thanks for the response.

I think I'll wait and see if there is any further information arising from the weapons / non-weapons situation.

That you think it might not be enforced gives me hope.

Though my raygun sort of looks weapon like it's not very weapony, it is kinda heavy though so that might spook the PtB.

Closer to NYE, I'll decided whether to come holsters empty or not.

(I would like to take it, as with something in my holster it allows me to swagger a bit more than without anything in it...random info there...)

Eh well I shall wait, watch and see.
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #268 on: December 23, 2008, 09:40:19 am »

I'm fine to come with empty holsters. I was fairly certain that they would not permit the props, I work as a security guard (used to do clubs/pubs/festivals) so I understand the reasons behind knocking them back. It's mostly because of insurance reasons, anything that resembles a weapon could frighten someone and the police may be called, then all manner of unwanted civil actions can come about, not to mention being charged with having an object that resembles a weapon. :S

But it is ok, my ruggedly handsome looks make up for the lack of phallic symbol Cheesy
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #269 on: December 23, 2008, 11:10:11 am »

Well, I'm in melbourne the night of NYE and Euchronia but I'm broke after buying some equipment, and I don't have a thing to wear until I finish sewing and modding and building, which I can't do without more of that despicable money stuff.

so... I won't see you guys there, but if anyone's doing anything between now and new years...?
Redmund Playfoot
« Reply #270 on: December 23, 2008, 02:34:16 pm »

I'll be too busy getting gear and my crew together for euchronia, but I plan on building some sort of contraption in the new year, deciding on whether I should pour my moneys into that or my new show. But If i do make somethign snazzy there'd be a party to commemorate.
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #271 on: December 23, 2008, 03:06:39 pm »

Well based on Sir Redmund Playfoot's knowledge (which makes sense now that one considers it).

I shall reconsider and find something else to carry to defend my honour with.

(Though I would argue that at such a steamy event people seeing things that would vaguely resemble weapons would go on the side of caution, rather than calling the police etc. But I still see Sir Playfoot's point with regards to insurance, police, security and maintaining a calm and ordered event.)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 03:17:26 pm by orangealert » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #272 on: December 23, 2008, 11:55:12 pm »

Ta Ta for now, Toodle Pip and Tally Ho dear ones - Iam off to Adelaide this afternoon and will return on the 29th.

There is a swap meet in Epping on Saturday the 10th (I think - I shall confirm) this promises to be a good place to start fossicking for parts for my planned exciting 2009 builds...

Meanwhile - travel safely, ejoy time withthose you love, eat too much and get the gifts you deserve.

Merry Steamsmas from Maduncle Santa!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #273 on: December 24, 2008, 12:51:05 am »

Best wishes to everyone!

I'll be away from the computer for a week or so being alternately lazy and busy around the house and working on projects.

Plus I've been cooking and brewing for two months now, and am going to work on the 'season of good swill' idea for the coming week with a house chock full of family and friends.

So, eat lots, drink lots, rest lots, take care and have fun all!

Prof B.
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #274 on: December 24, 2008, 05:07:22 am »

There is a swap meet in Epping on Saturday the 10th (I think - I shall confirm) this promises to be a good place to start fossicking for parts for my planned exciting 2009 builds...

Hark! Epping is right next to my joint! Hooray!
And yes, enjoy the festive season and New Years all you steamers, eat and drink heaps and make merry!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: