The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 22, 2019, 01:45:29 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 133856 times)
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2008, 07:33:53 am »

i think (my maths sucks) im only 20 yrs younger. is that strange?

i think i might take a few friends up and do recce on the place Tongue

incognito you say? how can i burn the place down incognito?
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2008, 07:53:15 am »

i think (my maths sucks) im only 20 yrs younger. is that strange?

i think i might take a few friends up and do recce on the place Tongue

While it astounds me that I'm old enough that there are people 20 years younger than myself, I do not find the idea of conversing with such folk strange!

Have fun on the recon - M.O.O. is one of my favorite bars. That said, I've not tried the food, suspect it might be a tad pricey.

Dante Aetherson

"The only thing I am truly creative at is spelling!"
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2008, 09:22:20 am »

yeah il just have a main and dessert probs.
most flash restarunts are pricey
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2008, 12:15:44 am »

They have a stuffed crocodile ?? Oh boy. It would have to be suspended from the ceiling - just being able to  say to visitors "mind your head for the crocodile" is too much to resist.

Mr AEtherson, what is Anton's ?

I don't think there was any stuffed ones, just whole skins. However, I must say, I do like your idea of suspending them... would you go so far as to have a placard warning said visitors?

Anton's is the name of the expensive but so very funky clothing store at Melbourne Central (mentioned by Rowan of Rin and Lt. Lily Shaw earlier in this thread) - or at least I'm assuming it is the store being discussed.

No placard would be necessary - I like the thought of mentioning the crocodile in a casual, off-hand manner.  Grin

Anton's sounds interesting and doesn't appear to be too far from Wunderkammer (or Downies, but they aren't steampunk...)

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2008, 02:27:33 am »

No placard would be necessary - I like the thought of mentioning the crocodile in a casual, off-hand manner.  Grin

Chuckles. I do like the idea.

Anton's sounds interesting and doesn't appear to be too far from Wunderkammer (or Downies, but they aren't steampunk...)

Yes, they are relatively close to each other. There is also City Hatters which is 'Under the Clocks' at Flinders St Station... a bit of a walk for some perhaps, but I think worth a visit.

Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2008, 02:56:44 am »

oooho i think iv been there. i got a fedora
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2008, 06:28:39 am »

Yes, they are relatively close to each other. There is also City Hatters which is 'Under the Clocks' at Flinders St Station... a bit of a walk for some perhaps, but I think worth a visit.

Walking is not a problem, until laden down with merchandise...
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2008, 07:42:26 am »

Walking is not a problem, until laden down with merchandise...

Perhaps someone could build a clockwork assistant to follow along behind and carry acquisitions.
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2008, 04:02:53 pm »

oooh a good idea. and maybe some chairs so we can ride to and fro, it wouldn't do to appear sweaty and flustered from all the walking etc.
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2008, 08:26:24 am »

Huzzah! There is activity!
I say I am very much pleased about this, Rowan started this thread bout' 2-3 months ago, and months gap between the last post (mine) and now its got some activity going on! Smiley
Woo!

And just a little heads up: those heading into Melbourne CBD, there is a watchmaker on Russell street on the side nearer to Flinder's street, he has pocket watches and services them for a good price.

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2008, 12:52:03 pm »

lol
il have a looksie for this cloak maker when i head up to melb. which could be god knows when. Sad
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #36 on: July 15, 2008, 01:09:20 pm »

oooh a good idea. and maybe some chairs so we can ride to and fro, it wouldn't do to appear sweaty and flustered from all the walking etc.

...and call it a tram? Wink

Huzzah! There is activity!
I say I am very much pleased about this, Rowan started this thread bout' 2-3 months ago, and months gap between the last post (mine) and now its got some activity going on! Smiley
Woo!

And just a little heads up: those heading into Melbourne CBD, there is a watchmaker on Russell street on the side nearer to Flinder's street, he has pocket watches and services them for a good price.

Woot - sounds like there is the better part of a day just wondering through the local shops! So, are we going to set a date?

The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #37 on: July 16, 2008, 03:49:14 pm »

Someone suggested late August or something... I'm a pathetic organiser so I'm not too eager to organise a time, plus Uni starts next Monday for me, so I will expect some stormy weather ahead!
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2008, 06:53:46 am »

Someone suggested late August or something... I'm a pathetic organiser so I'm not too eager to organise a time, plus Uni starts next Monday for me, so I will expect some stormy weather ahead!
well, i'm in if someone clues me in on time.

me= Ballarat. close enough for a day trip to Melb <3
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2008, 07:01:37 am »

oh, wait... I mean I'm up for anything that doesn't involve spending money. Some of you may also be similarly challenged? I don't know.

although going for a bit of a marketplace droolfest would be fun XD I don't fancy sitting in a swish cafe/restaurant twiddling my thumbs while everyone else eats :p

also in case anyone cares I'm female, 20 and a ceramics student <3 hello
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2008, 11:42:53 am »

Wow, not  sure how this got past my top of the art radar systems, but it is fantastic to have such interest!

Now, I have a cunning plan... Perhaps if we organise this to fall on a Sunday, we could start the day by foraging in the Camberwell Market, which is a tinker's dream, lots of knickknacks and doo-das, and close to the city. Having it on a weekend also deals with most jobs ad school, excepting part-time work and the like. Wunderkammer looks AMAZING, I have no idea how I have failed to notice it before, must be that faulty radar again Angry

If this meeting goes well, we could maybe organise some other activities for a later date, such as a day where we all get together and work on projects, and get help from all the people there. Goggles making session, rayguns, lamps, whatever we like Cheesy How does that sound?

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2008, 01:44:15 am »

Wow, not  sure how this got past my top of the art radar systems, but it is fantastic to have such interest!

Now, I have a cunning plan... Perhaps if we organise this to fall on a Sunday, we could start the day by foraging in the Camberwell Market, which is a tinker's dream, lots of knickknacks and doo-das, and close to the city. Having it on a weekend also deals with most jobs ad school, excepting part-time work and the like. Wunderkammer looks AMAZING, I have no idea how I have failed to notice it before, must be that faulty radar again Angry

If this meeting goes well, we could maybe organise some other activities for a later date, such as a day where we all get together and work on projects, and get help from all the people there. Goggles making session, rayguns, lamps, whatever we like Cheesy How does that sound?

pretty darn awesome
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2008, 01:59:24 am »

Well, Sundays around the end of August are the 24th and the 31st, how does either of those dates sound? Keep in mind it doesn't have to be a Sunday, I was just suggesting that to coincide with he Camberwell market, but on second thoughts some other places of interest might be closed on a Sunday..
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2008, 12:08:17 pm »

Hey a Melbourne steampunk mob, or gaggle, or whatever the collective noun is for a group of enthusiasts!

I am currently in Diamond Creek, but probably lookingto buy a place further out (so I can build a workshop). I have found a few good sources for bits around Victoria and I am planning a hunting trip with a mate of mine next Sunday to a shop in Castlemaine called 'the Restorers Barn' - it has masses of great parts (rows of brass bits!!!). Anyone else been there?

If you have stuff of yours on the web, point me in the right direction - meanwhile, here's my blog. I am in the middle of a wierd PC build...

www.austeampunk.blogspot.com

Possible meeting places for fellow scroungers should include some of the trash and treasure markets - Camberwell is still good on a Sunday morning...

Cheers all - I feel so much better now I found more tinkerers

...the maduncle...

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2008, 12:40:50 pm »

Welcome to the forum maduncle! I also am mighty glad to find some fellow tinkers! I haven't been to Castlemaine in a while, but last time I was there, I remember going to an incredibly overpriced antiques shop. Where is this Restorers Barn, I might pop in next time I am up that way!
Camberwell is great, and there is one seller in particular who has really cool stuff, and he is a great guy, really funny. I bought an old tin container filled with vacuum tubes, and lots of old chemistry equipment off him for next to nothing, and he had a toy steam engine one morning, I went to get some money out, got back, and he had sold it Cry I still haven't gotten over that loss..
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2008, 02:11:41 am »

I may be heading down to Melbourne on the last weekend of August, so if anything is happening that weekend, count me in. I'm at about a 70% chance of making it at the moment.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2008, 07:03:13 am »

Fellow tinkerers,

The Restorers Barn is in Moyston Street in Castlemaine, see weblink for address (they don't have a website up yet). I will take some photos next Sunday of the place and put them on my blog.

To the Restorers barn - http://www.restorersbarn.com.au/

Sadly I will be traveling to Adelaide on the 31st August, otherwise I would gladly join fellow brass hunters at Camberwell that day. Meanwhile - I will attempt to list my stock of parts and post soon, so as we might trade.

Cheers,

...maduncle... (at 42 years old I consider myself maduncle to all steampunk enthusiasts, hey I was tapping brass when you were all tapping the teat!)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2008, 07:42:06 am »

Prof, when will you find out for sure if you are coming down? I would love it if you could attend! Depending on everyone, it may not be on the 31st, we still need to bounce those dates with the others.

Can't wait for the photos, a new source of bits and bobs is invaluable! Also, I would love to trade stock, I have ridiculous amounts of stuff  here at the moment, but one can never have enough, as you all understand Smiley
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2008, 12:40:03 pm »

Aaaaah - some trading.

I have a good stock of brass threaded small pipe fittings that always come in handy (elbows, thread reducers, end caps, tee's, etc) but thread size always determines need. Along with that, a motley collection of things that looked good at the time I bought them, including brass pressure gauges (my favorite things). PLUS - scraps of brass tube, treaded rod, lenses, brass nuts, brass bolts, etc.

Someone just needs to tell this old luddite how to post pictures in a thread!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2008, 03:47:11 pm »

Oh, that all sounds promising, especially pressure gauges (also hits all the right places with me) and lenses. Brass tube is always handy to have around I have found, as well as copper.

Now, posting pictures: You have to upload them onto a photosharing website such as Photobucket (follow their instructions for how to do that). When your picture is up, just paste the url between image tags which look like this [ img ] Your picture url here [ /img ] (without spaces).

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: