The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2019, 08:48:34 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 134436 times)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2008, 12:43:25 pm »

Excellent!

Graphic design for poster art most welcome, we will need a name for an exhibition too so let us put on our thinking helmets.

Might want to think about a society name too (rather than join the league) if we could acronym with S.T.E.A.M. that might work.

Society for Technical Expermentation with Anacronistic Mechanisms?

PS - Rowan, if I email you some photos of the now finished ray gun, can you post them on this thread for me?

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2008, 12:50:28 pm »

We are both posting at the same time Silas!

Ahah!

'Steampodean' - I do like the sound of that, good start.

Words like 'antipodean' certainly lend themselves to our corner of the globe. Perhaps to the non initiated the wordplay may fall flat though,

perhaps - 'antipodean steam' ?
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2008, 01:04:36 pm »

Love the graphic Silas, definately a great start!

(Maduncle, sure thing! But I will raise you one, you start a topic about your finished raygun in Tactile, and I will post the pictures as the next comment down! How does that sound? Also, I cannot wait to see what it looks like finished!)

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2008, 02:03:52 pm »

Cheers Guys!

this is just a rough, so i'll muck around with it a bit more,
on another note.
I have just put up my latest steam attempt on tactile at
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=12263.0
tell me what you think.

cheers

Proper Smashing!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #179 on: November 20, 2008, 12:12:24 am »

Nice work Master Silas!

If I may be so bold, may I suggest that the background map image fade in from the left, so that New Holland is more highlighted than the rest of the map ? Africa and the new world are in green whilst poor New Holland is outlined in yellow, so it's intrinsically not as obvious, even though the  eye is led to it after the word Steampodian. Perhaps the left of the background image could then be filled with a steamy/gear/engine sort of image.

Now to make a steam powered foot!!  Cheesy

And happy to add in to the community - I'm feeling rather lonely up this neck of the woods.  Undecided

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2008, 01:52:43 am »

Okay - here is the new thread on the finished ray gun (in tactile called 'finished my first ray gun') with a link to the photos on my blog - do your wizardry Mr. Rin

http://brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=12277.0

As for our first display/exhibition - how about calling it 'steampunked' in light of the impending modifications to Mr. Lightyear. It seems that we makers 'steampunk' everyday items and create new ones from old. I also wonder about a
sci- fi convention or comic convention as an appropriate forum - or is that a bit too trekkie?

Oh my god I have just been inspired - I am going to 'steampunk' the USS Enterprise!!!

...(very)maduncle...

SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2008, 04:09:01 am »

Nice work Master Silas!

If I may be so bold, may I suggest that the background map image fade in from the left, so that New Holland is more highlighted than the rest of the map ? Africa and the new world are in green whilst poor New Holland is outlined in yellow, so it's intrinsically not as obvious, even though the  eye is led to it after the word Steampodian. Perhaps the left of the background image could then be filled with a steamy/gear/engine sort of image.
i will have a go at that yeh cheers,

MadUncle, i'm loving that RAY!
The steampunked idea i like, and i'll have a go at a logo.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #182 on: November 20, 2008, 11:50:01 am »

Glad you like the ray gun Silas - I am feeling like a proud steamdad!

As for the name for our exhibition...

'Steampunked - re-imagining everyday items in a steampunk world'

Huh
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #183 on: November 20, 2008, 02:34:58 pm »

sounds good to me, i'll get on with a logo concept
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #184 on: November 20, 2008, 02:53:58 pm »

Oh and if any one is going to be at Camperwell market this Sunday, i may wash up there, after a night out on the town.
So if you see a chunky blond haired guy wearing a brown shirt, red waist coat strange looking brown Tie and a pocketwatch. That will be me, and dont hesitate to shout out to me, "Hey buzz lightyear" Wink

maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #185 on: November 21, 2008, 02:15:47 am »

Camperwell market

Huh

"Camperwell"

I think you might end up at the wrong market - but hey there might chunky blondes there...

...to infinity and beyond...
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #186 on: November 21, 2008, 10:01:58 am »

wow pure class and awesome spelling on my part, but in my defence, lack of sleep can do that to a man!
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #187 on: November 22, 2008, 11:22:06 pm »

Just returned from Camberwell market.

It wasn't all that interesting to be honest, I think I'll stick to looking around the places down the Mornington Peninsula.

I have spoken to people (in the antiques business) who have said it's an institution, but then they've also said that it's not what it was.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #188 on: November 23, 2008, 12:18:51 am »

Well, I agree with orangealert, today was a bit empty (seeing as most people expected rain). I picked up a mantelpiece clock case and (broken) movement, and four sets of Art Nouveau door handles and escutcheons. Also picked up two huge vintage light globes, for a future project. Still, I got to talk to this nutty guy about clocks for an hour, and that was great! Apparently we have a Horological Society hiding away somewhere in Melbourne, which has classes, and books and all kinds of goodies!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #189 on: November 23, 2008, 12:44:30 pm »

Sorry to hear Cambeerwell market was a bit of a washout gentlemen - it can vary with the weather.

Meanwhile - I revisited an old antiques shed in Badgers Creek (just out of Healesville) on Saturday...

Amazing! This place is old, cold, dark and squelchy underfoot in some places, but I was gobsmacked by:

- the table covered in old electrical test equipment in wooden boxes.
- the other table covered in old brass pressure gauges.
- the array of old desks, tables, cupboards and other assorted furniture.
- the selection of old valve radio parts.
- and much more.

If you are ever out in the Yarra Valley it is worth a visit. My wife and I actually went there looking for an old ladder to hang from the ceiling in the kitchen - and they had several.

..Ta ra...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #190 on: November 24, 2008, 03:58:28 am »

That sounds like Steaven (Steampunk heaven Wink)! I think I might accidentally take the wrong turnoff and end up in Badgers Creek in the near future Cheesy
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #191 on: November 24, 2008, 05:26:54 am »

Well, I have said it twice already and I shall say it one more time. I am going to Melbourne this Friday and staying for a couple of days. Any time on the coming sunday would be preferrable. Let's make some actual plans, if anybody doesn't want to snob me ):
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #192 on: November 24, 2008, 11:55:22 am »

Dear Bezier - fellow punker of steam and tinkerer of all things slighty skewiff..

My small diary is brimming with Christmas functions, alac and alas I will not be able to find the time to meet you this weekend good sir

Rest assured a trip to the Camberwell market and a stroll around whilst yelling 'free goggles' at the top of your lungs will undoubtedly unearth Mr. Rin from a pile of steamy parts somewhere.

Until we meet...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #193 on: November 24, 2008, 01:07:34 pm »

No need for that! I will happily accompany our guest of honour Bezier around the market, if he so wishes! We could take it from there...Thoughts?
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #194 on: November 24, 2008, 01:25:14 pm »

Ah... I am going to be staying right in the middle of the city pretty much, and whever I find you will have to be within walking distance or at least not too expensive on a tram or whatever. I'm not overly familiar with how it all works.

(Where I come from, we don't have trams. The governer has a horse and cart, but he whips anyone who goes near.)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #195 on: November 24, 2008, 02:09:28 pm »

Ah... I am going to be staying right in the middle of the city pretty much, and whever I find you will have to be within walking distance or at least not too expensive on a tram or whatever. I'm not overly familiar with how it all works.

(Where I come from, we don't have trams. The governer has a horse and cart, but he whips anyone who goes near.)
Cheesy
Well, I can come and pick you up, and we can get an all day transport ticket (trains, bus, tram etc.) for a mere $2.50 (hooray for Sundays)! Then it is only a few train stops till the Market, and we can have some fun around there, then head back to the city if you want! How does that sound?
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #196 on: November 24, 2008, 02:21:15 pm »

Sounds good but unfortunately I will not have an enormous amount of time as we will be leaving Melbourne mid afternoon on the sunday. How early do you like to get up? Tongue
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #197 on: November 24, 2008, 02:30:39 pm »

Sounds good but unfortunately I will not have an enormous amount of time as we will be leaving Melbourne mid afternoon on the sunday. How early do you like to get up? Tongue
Well, funnily enough, I will be at the market form about 6.30am Cheesy But never fear, I will come and meet you in the city at whatever time you want, and we can return, and meet another member there (Lone Cat Charmer), and anyone else I can rope into coming! What time do you need to be back? And where are you staying?
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #198 on: November 24, 2008, 11:53:33 pm »

Well I am thinking that 10AM would be a good time to meet. Any earlier and my companions (family, don't worry they will leave us be) will become annoyed.

And it would be great to meet some other Steampunks, if that is at all possible Cheesy Thank you very much.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #199 on: November 24, 2008, 11:56:32 pm »

Well I am thinking that 10AM would be a good time to meet. Any earlier and my companions (family, don't worry they will leave us be) will become annoyed.

And it would be great to meet some other Steampunks, if that is at all possible Cheesy Thank you very much.
Well, that is all set then! May I enquire as to where you are staying, or the nearest landmark from where we can meet?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: