The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 13, 2019, 09:20:39 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 133727 times)
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #150 on: November 11, 2008, 03:46:35 pm »

Just out of curiosity, what's so special about Camberwell Market?

I live near the Mornington Peninsula which has its fair share of antique markets, and was just curious what's so amazing about it?

Should power up the engines on my airship and aim north-west-ish for Camberwell (whenever it's on)?
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 05:08:02 pm by orangealert » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #151 on: November 11, 2008, 11:10:54 pm »

Hmmmmm...

Rowan - we have some educating to do - get the BIG stick.

Camberwell market is where all those antique market stall holders go to buy the goods you see at inflated prices in thier stores. It is an open air trash and treasure market run by the local Rotary.

It is an institution. I can remember going there in the early 90's.

If you get there around 5:00am you will see the professional buyers walking out with all the good stuff (ie - genuine antigues/design icons).

Between 6 and 7 is a good time to start. There are many stalls and many many old bits and bobs for building steampunk stuff. And once the regular stall holders get to know you and what you are after (like Mr. Rin who is known on sight) then they may hold items aside to show you and give you first option.

Therefore I recommend you set your blimp speed to maximum preambulation early one sunrise and make haste to the market. The market is on every Sunday.

As for Mr. 'Glowstick' Silas - I thought I detected a hint of the hills about you (a kind of furry feeling).

I have lived in Tecoma, Sherbrooke and Monbulk myself. Can you tell me what happened to the second hand junk shop in Upwey - he had a small industrial section that was always good for bits. And many many years ago Ruby's was a junk shop too - before it became a great place for live music.

Cheers all,

...the maduncle...
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 11:12:41 pm by maduncle » Logged

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #152 on: November 12, 2008, 07:23:49 am »

Asides from what maduncle has pointed out, my aunt (well...actually she's my cousin removed however many times) lives right around the corner from the Market, so it's always good for me. Speaking of which, I finish my exams tomorrow, so I'm up for an expedition any Sunday from now on!
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #153 on: November 12, 2008, 08:01:03 am »

First off,

Sorry Rowan i completly missed your post, Embarrassed i thought it was my own.
I've never been to the market so i have no clue where to be at. hopefully i will be dragging like minded individuals along though next sunday,as i just found out i'm working till 5am on the saturday night.

and to Orangealert, It look me about 1 years worth of collecting, waiting for the right chair to steal(the back of the pack is a chair back) and about three days to drill all together.
The very last day before halloween i got off a bus, blew into a salvation army store and there was a 6 dollar barometer! I also had to sew a steampunk ghostbusters icon together.

Now. MadUncle, Thank god you remember the awesome junk shop that preceded rubys, no one else i know does. i thought i was going a little mad. Ruby's has fallen prey to greed in times of late and is in no way as good as it used to be.
As for the awesome junk shop in Upwey (or like my second home for years) The owner tom moved to Queensland. It is at the moment an empty shop. (if only i had the money to open a steampunk store... oh i can dream)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 08:09:45 am by SilasHarridenMD » Logged

Proper Smashing!
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #154 on: November 12, 2008, 10:57:46 am »

End of november to start of December would be perfect for me.
There's a vintage fair on in Williamstown on the 22nd of November, I think. Anyone going? They've got some fantastic stalls, reasonable prices, and not enough changing rooms, but overall 's'good.

I think people here seemed to have missed Cap'n Phania's little heads up about this vintage fair. Could be interesting, and Williamstown is pleasant place to be, I would propose a quick inspection followed by fresh fish and chips, they are bloomin' nice down there. Though vintage fairs do sound somewhat pricey-ish, perhaps. But I think it'll be nice to check out no? 

Looks like there is a nice amassing of interest in the Camberwell market, when is the next little hunt? I am now free from the demanding nature of that institution some call... 'University' *shudder*... so it should be all cool from now.

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #155 on: November 12, 2008, 02:00:40 pm »

Right then! Camberwell...this Sunday (16)? Or if that is too soon, the week after (23)? This will just be an informal get-together and hunt for Stuff, and we can discuss larger plans for the future, Maduncle and I discussed the possibility of a Build Day where everyone brought along their trinkets and bits and bobs, and we all helped each other out with making various instruments of death and dispair!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2008, 12:28:48 am »

Unfortunately I won't make it back to the market for quite a few weeks.

The Sundays are rapidly filling up with christmas functions, running a stall at the Whittlesea Swap Meet on the 6th, and some volunteer firefighter training prior to the season - so I may have done my dash on Sunday treasure hunts for the year.

But I will be there in spirit and yes Rowan we shall organise a build day somewhere.

(PS - got a new lead on a warehouse of junk in Porepunkah near Bright. It's an old tobacco shed with over 30 themed rooms of second hand stuff).
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2008, 12:42:00 am »

Unfortunately I won't make it back to the market for quite a few weeks.

The Sundays are rapidly filling up with christmas functions, running a stall at the Whittlesea Swap Meet on the 6th, and some volunteer firefighter training prior to the season - so I may have done my dash on Sunday treasure hunts for the year.

But I will be there in spirit and yes Rowan we shall organise a build day somewhere.

(PS - got a new lead on a warehouse of junk in Porepunkah near Bright. It's an old tobacco shed with over 30 themed rooms of second hand stuff).
Terrible shame, but I eagerly await out next meeting!

Also, warehouses of junk sounds right up my alley! You will have to get pictures!
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2008, 06:45:44 am »

Right then! Camberwell...this Sunday (16)? Or if that is too soon, the week after (23)? This will just be an informal get-together and hunt for Stuff, and we can discuss larger plans for the future, Maduncle and I discussed the possibility of a Build Day where everyone brought along their trinkets and bits and bobs, and we all helped each other out with making various instruments of death and dispair!
As lovely as a build day sounds, I am terrible at building! Could it be a build/draw/be-jealous-of-everyone-else's-talents day? I can certainly design steampunk weapons, and most of the time I can get the pieces, but I never build them.
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2008, 01:40:58 pm »

A meeting would be good, I'd certainly like to meet others now that I've discovered some tangibility to all this.
Though not this weekend, I'm going/taking my brother to the Digital Lifestyle and eGames expo at Jeff's Shed and don't particuraly want to drive to Camberwell then to Melbourne and back down to the Peninsula.

A build day...hmm, I currently only have ideas and nothing to actually show for it (except a quick sketch, which isn't a sketch at all, just something to remind myself of stuff).
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #160 on: November 14, 2008, 11:51:20 am »

A build day would be loads of un - and no reason to envy other peoples talents as we all have talents of one form or another to share.

http://picasaweb.google.com/madunclecliff/AntipodeanSteampunkAdventures?authkey=keeJHA90EdU#5255778455252329378

Another attempt at posting an image I have now hosted on Picasa Web - I am such a luddite!

Funny - given I am building a steampunk PC (Which now WORKS!!!)

Also - check out brass Goggles main page for the totally amazing steampunk space helmet Herr Doktor has built. It is also somewhere here on the forum!

Cheers all,

... the maduncle...

(Planning to hit Camberwell market around 4.30am one Sunday soon)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:35:44 pm by maduncle » Logged
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #161 on: November 15, 2008, 12:41:16 pm »

Fellow tinkerers,

I have been approached by a freelance journalist who writes for the Good Weekend.

Kath wishes to do a story on Steampunk and wants to feature my builds and other peoples builds.

So - anyone else game enough to put up thier stuff? I have emailled Kath and said I will be in it and ask around at the same time.

One small step for steam, one giant leap for steamkind!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #162 on: November 15, 2008, 02:19:09 pm »

Fellow tinkerers,

I have been approached by a freelance journalist who writes for the Good Weekend.

Kath wishes to do a story on Steampunk and wants to feature my builds and other peoples builds.

So - anyone else game enough to put up thier stuff? I have emailled Kath and said I will be in it and ask around at the same time.

Wow, that is incredible! I haven't really got anything yet to show unfortunately (though that raygun is on it's way, just doing the handle today Wink).

Same deal as always everyone, I am at the market tommorow, but next week or the week after seems to suit everyones, so fine by me!
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #163 on: November 15, 2008, 11:55:04 pm »

Fellow tinkerers,

I'll be looking out for it, and in the meantime, informing all my family that we are getting somewhere.
And no, I'm not game to put up any of my own builds...there are a few joint builds, but I'm not sure they're good enough.
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #164 on: November 16, 2008, 04:40:41 am »

On another topic, I would like to know if anyone would be willing to meet me on sunday, 30th of november while I am visiting Melbourne. I would have to stick to the main city area.
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #165 on: November 16, 2008, 06:19:51 am »

On another topic, I would like to know if anyone would be willing to meet me on sunday, 30th of november while I am visiting Melbourne. I would have to stick to the main city area.
Possibly...the CBD is my old haunt. I'll be more certain closer to the date; things crop up.
There are plenty of sites in the CBD you might be interested in, so it's not really that much of a restriction.
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #166 on: November 16, 2008, 11:19:26 am »

Mad Uncle, I would love to put something up for the article, the only thing i have finished is my backpack, but there is acouple of things on the boil, like for instance a steam powered broom stick!

keep us updated on the article.
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #167 on: November 17, 2008, 02:56:26 pm »

On another topic, anyone thinking of going to http://www.euchronia.com/ "Euchronia is a steampunk / neo-Victorian Year's End Ball taking place in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on the last day of the calendar year of 2008."?
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #168 on: November 18, 2008, 12:56:54 am »

Alas, Euchronia is 18+ due to alcohol, and I don't know where my fake imitation Canadian driver's license is. You will have to take pictures.
eatingmyowntail
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #169 on: November 18, 2008, 03:37:36 am »

Greetings all Victorian neo-Victorians. First time poster, short time lurker.
On another topic, anyone thinking of going to http://www.euchronia.com/ "Euchronia is a steampunk / neo-Victorian Year's End Ball taking place in Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on the last day of the calendar year of 2008."?

I'm coming down from Sydney to enjoy new years at Euchronia (anything to avoid Sydney at new years). The closest thing to a steam punk related event in Sydney was an industrial club with a steam theme. I'm  bringing a passel of goth/steam punks along as well so look forward to seeing you all there. Smiley

Remember "sticky side down".
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #170 on: November 18, 2008, 03:37:58 am »

Alas, Euchronia is 18+ due to alcohol.

Drat! I thought it was 18+ for other reasons!  Cheesy

I'm not sure where I'll be this new year's, but i could get down to Melbourne for the MUCS vs Rest of the World cricket match as well...

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #171 on: November 19, 2008, 01:37:46 am »

Well now...

euchronia does look interesting - and they have a league we can all join to receive a fob watch. I had been thinking about getting a more 'organised' group going in Melbourne but it looks like someone else has beaten me to it.

I was thinking more along coordinating a steampunk event/exhibition for next years Melbourne Fringe Festival - a showcase of builds, an evening event, couple of speakers on the genre etc etc - any interest out there?
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #172 on: November 19, 2008, 04:18:52 am »

Sounds Awesome, If you need some graphic Design work to get it on its way, i'll be happy to lend a hand!
(hope i'm not being too presumptuous here) i reckon that we should all post a name for a proposed exhibition, brain storm it a little)

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #173 on: November 19, 2008, 04:39:04 am »

Oh, I am all for spreading the love throughout Melbourne, we seem to have quite a community happening here, and the response we got in regards to the Maduncle's raygun was fantastic!

I will have a bit of a think today, and come up with some ideas..

Also, Euchronia does indead look interesting, but I am not sure I am one for balls, but I shall see..
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #174 on: November 19, 2008, 12:37:00 pm »

I'm putting this forward for a name for an exhibition, a collective group, what ever you like!

I think it works...?
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: