The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 18, 2019, 11:56:21 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 133797 times)
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #125 on: September 11, 2008, 03:54:24 am »

Regarding labeling, some of the specimens are labeled with their common name (such as 'Eagles Nest') and some have things like 'M-90% F-5% G-5%' written on them which could be the solution it is suspended in..And the orchid is labeled, but only says where it was collected. Thank you for the info though! I will have to show all of them to you when you come down in October!

M = methylated spirit, F = formalin, G = glycerin. Glycerin is always added to plant specimens to stop them becoming brittle. 5% formalin is correct strength, and the metho would just be out of the bottle, though it's around 94-95% nowadays.

So, are the hideous yellow things leeches, intestinal parasites or liver flukes ?  Tongue Cheesy

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #126 on: September 11, 2008, 07:43:39 am »

Thank you Cheesy
One question though - what's the stuff in the tin ? (Image DSC_0008.jpg)

I have absolutely no clue, I was hoping someone could shine some light on it (which I have done, and it sparkles Cheesy). It is very finely grained, and has a blueish purple tint to it...
Regarding labeling, some of the specimens are labeled with their common name (such as 'Eagles Nest') and some have things like 'M-90% F-5% G-5%' written on them which could be the solution it is suspended in..And the orchid is labeled, but only says where it was collected. Thank you for the info though! I will have to show all of them to you when you come down in October!

Okay Sir Rin - what is 'tactile' and how do I post?

And how do you make those pictures come up in your post when I click on 'spoiler'?

I wish I could find a cast metal handle, I have been looking all over! To answer your questions, THIS is Tactile, the board to show off all the things you have made, I am sure everyone would love to see your fantastic creation  Grin

To post 'spoilered' pictures, use a format like this
Code:
[spoiler][img]www.the place your picture is hosted on the aethernet.com[/img][/spoiler]
and it should work correctly!

I'm itching to get my hands on that blue stuff and shove it into a kiln. absolutely dying.

could it be a mineral or a metal? the only uses my feeble mind can come up with for dust would be use in ceramic glaze, since all afternoon i've been glaze-mixing. sorry for my lack of scope.

what does it look like to you? stone dust? micah? metal shavings? i can't see clearly from the picture
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #127 on: November 03, 2008, 04:11:28 pm »

Anyone still up for the aforementioned meetup at everyone's favourite market on Sunday? I will be there, and I believe Maduncle will be as well.

As an added bonus, there will be a fantastic auction at 12pm, which is right near the market, so we can go there afterwards if you want!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2008, 01:43:19 am »

Alas, I will be studying for another week of exams that Sunday.
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2008, 05:03:04 am »

so... what is the sparkly dust made of??
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2008, 02:02:56 pm »

so... what is the sparkly dust made of??
I still have no idea, it is just sitting their menacingly! I might try sticking it in the oven though. I also have aquired some more mysterious substances, I will post photos soon when I find where I put my camera...

Alas, I will be studying for another week of exams that Sunday.
Well, as soon as exams are over, I am sure we can organise another meetup, do not fret!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #131 on: November 05, 2008, 01:11:19 am »

Camberwell market this sunday people?

I intend to hit the market early in order to find a suitable case for my raygun. Therefore I will be the tall scary one wielding a nasty looking weapon as he trawls the stalls.

Also - Glenferrie Primary School same day - old tools for sale (potential gun handles).

Furthermore - stationary engine display and swap meet in Wandin this Sunday - I think it is at the historic museum farm thingy place.

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Bezier
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain between crews

« Reply #132 on: November 05, 2008, 01:20:55 am »

I don't live in Melbourne but I am going to be visiting for a few days at the end of November/start of December, and it would be most enjoyable to meet some fellow steampunks while I am there. I don't know, you lads and ladies can make your own plans but I was just thinking about that.
CaptainPhania
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Captain who bought her commission.

« Reply #133 on: November 05, 2008, 07:12:11 am »

End of november to start of December would be perfect for me.
There's a vintage fair on in Williamstown on the 22nd of November, I think. Anyone going? They've got some fantastic stalls, reasonable prices, and not enough changing rooms, but overall 's'good.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #134 on: November 06, 2008, 12:43:38 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't mind me - still trying to insert pictures into my posts.

THIS IS A TEST - somebody please tell me if they can see a picture in this post 'cos I can't!
« Last Edit: November 06, 2008, 12:45:33 pm by maduncle » Logged
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #135 on: November 06, 2008, 03:49:04 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Don't mind me - still trying to insert pictures into my posts.

THIS IS A TEST - somebody please tell me if they can see a picture in this post 'cos I can't!

Unfortunately, that is a negative  Undecided

I mean, you are using the right code (it appears), however you may have to resort to hosting you pictures on photobucket.com or the like? Perhpas if you make a post in the Engine Room, some more technical minded folk will be able to help.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #136 on: November 06, 2008, 11:47:22 pm »

My thanks Mr. of Rin.

By the by - I still plan to hit Camberwell Market for a trawl this Sunday - are you or any other Melbournites planning a similar expedition?

I now have the 'magic eye' vacuum tube for the core of my ray gun, so I need mounting bits and pieces for it.

Plus I am after an old wooden box to hold the ray gun.

Then we see what ebay thinks of it!

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #137 on: November 07, 2008, 01:25:28 am »

But of course I will be there, like every week! Do we want a meeting time? About what time do you plan to arrive? I usually am there from around 6am to 7am, so I imagine I will be there long before you Cheesy
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #138 on: November 07, 2008, 06:53:09 am »

Okay Mr. 'early bird gets the best bits' I will meet you in the covered central walkway thingy at 7am!

That's if you are not still fiddling with your organ (smutty reference to your spare goggles post). Cheesy

Anyone else is most welcome to join us in the hunt, I expect coffee will be required by 9am so we can always meet the 'late comers' then.
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2008, 12:18:53 pm »

Okay Mr. 'early bird gets the best bits' I will meet you in the covered central walkway thingy at 7am!

That's if you are not still fiddling with your organ (smutty reference to your spare goggles post). Cheesy

Anyone else is most welcome to join us in the hunt, I expect coffee will be required by 9am so we can always meet the 'late comers' then.
Sounds smashing! I wonder if it will be storming like tonight, I sure hope not, because less sellers turn up  Sad At any rate, a great chance to catch up, and of course, there is the Auction afterwards!

orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2008, 03:27:12 pm »

Salutations, greetings, and...hello.

Thought I'd poke my head in here as another Melbourne resident (well technically I'm an hour south east) but anyways...and have a look around, tip my hat (that I don't have), so just slight salute to my goggles (which I do have)...
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #141 on: November 07, 2008, 03:42:40 pm »

Salutations, greetings, and...hello.

Thought I'd poke my head in here as another Melbourne resident (well technically I'm an hour south east) but anyways...and have a look around, tip my hat (that I don't have), so just slight salute to my goggles (which I do have)...

Welcome, welcome! Always good to have more people to experiment on make friends with and discuss the finer points of steampunk!

Be sure to check back here often for when we have our next major meetup!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2008, 11:43:30 am »

Aaaah the Camberwell Market - it did not let me down!

Rowan and I enjoyed a mornings hunting and after much bewailing and gnashing of teeth I finally found a great old wooden box for the ray gun case.

The best fun was had each time I pulled the ray gun from my bag to test fit a potential box - we even got some passer by enquiries:

1/. What the hell is that?
2/. Did you make it?
3/. What is steampunk?

I tell you - we could almost run a steampunk information booth at the market!

Following jammy croissants and coffee Rowan and I then visited an Auction house to check out what was on offer - lots of nice drooly stuff but to bid would have taken all day (over 700 lots) so Mr. Rin did the smart thing and left proxy bids.

Finally - a trip to the Glenferrie Primary School found the old tool sale...

WOW!

Such an array of old brass, wood, steel (or tasteful combination thereof) tools in either well maintained or ripe for restoration condition. And cheap - we are talking loads off stuff under ten dollars. Rowan and I each bought a saw sharpening tool thingy that has the potential to be the basis of a ray gun - so Mr. Rin and I are having a 'ray gunoff' competition to see who can build the most far out steampunk scarifier from the same base component.

We shall probably post results on tactile once completed.

All in all a great morning, my thanks to you Rowan of Rin for the good company, good to chat about such amazing things as Gaudi architecture and Arts and Crafts furniture.

Comrades - don't be afraid to join us again sometime soon - I hope to make it to the market at least every six weeks or so.

Cheers all,

« Last Edit: November 09, 2008, 11:47:54 am by maduncle » Logged
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2008, 02:34:40 pm »

Indeed, it was a fantastic day all round, and I must say actually holding the good MadUncles raygun was quite an experience, it really is amazing Cheesy

The tool sale was definately the highlight, it was all I could do to stop myself from breaking the bank and buying the whole place, but I came away with a very nice set square, and the aforementioned raygun handle.

Now maduncle, I dare you to give the handle a rub, and take away that paint...what is underneath? I haven't checked yet, but I was staring all the way hope at it, and I have a sneaking suspicion....

Also, the leather gauntlets are ours! I will pick them up tommorow or Tuesday, and next time we meet we can sort something out Smiley

Once again, thanks for a great day, it really is special to be able to talk with someone about such peculiar things and be taken seriously.

Until next time good folks!
SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2008, 01:25:18 pm »

I'm In Melbourne (or there abouts) and i'm kicking myself for not gettting on the forums sooner, i might have been able to come to the gathering/s.

If you are still Missioning to Camberwell Market next sunday, i hope i can do the same, heck i might just stay awake from the night before, i'll already be in the city.

I recently completed a steampunk ghostbuster protonpack and need something new to sink my teeth into.
Antons is awesome, ( i freaked out the staff there a little. Trying on a bowler hat i stated that something was missing, after producing a pipe from my bag, the lass working there was in stitches. Pulling an Antique tie rack out of my bag was also too much for her.)

here's my pack if your intreagued(sorry its not in Tactile)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:27:24 pm by SilasHarridenMD » Logged

Proper Smashing!
orangealert
Deck Hand
Australia Australia

« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2008, 03:01:09 pm »

SilasHarridenMD, that's amazing work, brilliant in fact.

How long did it take you to complete it?
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2008, 02:57:38 am »

I'm In Melbourne (or there abouts) and i'm kicking myself for not gettting on the forums sooner, i might have been able to come to the gathering/s.

If you are still Missioning to Camberwell Market next sunday, i hope i can do the same, heck i might just stay awake from the night before, i'll already be in the city.

I recently completed a steampunk ghostbuster protonpack and need something new to sink my teeth into.
Antons is awesome, ( i freaked out the staff there a little. Trying on a bowler hat i stated that something was missing, after producing a pipe from my bag, the lass working there was in stitches. Pulling an Antique tie rack out of my bag was also too much for her.)

here's my pack if your intreagued(sorry its not in Tactile)

First off, welcome to the forum!
Second, that is a fantastic contraption, love the use of the metal steamer Smiley I always thought they looked awesome!
Thirdly, I go to the market ever week without fail, what time would you be there? I am sure we could organise to meet up!
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2008, 11:33:56 am »

Confound and blast it, I had entirely forgotten that the forums were alive again!
Looked like a nice day of hunting was missed...
Nevertheless I'm sure there are plenty of opportunities yet to come for hunts >=D

And Hello there! to anyone who has joined in!

SilasHarriden, that is looking fabulous
I see... vial? like objects (a pair of them) to the left, and some red object inside... what are they? 

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2008, 12:08:46 pm »

Very nice work Silas (and welcome!)...

... I see metal brackets that go in the shed for hanging tools, a barometer, pipe brackets, a vegetable steamer, but what are the candle lights?

Rowan - perhaps you could post a photo of our 'ray gunoff' base component and invite other Melbournians to find one ( it is a saw sharpener) and join us in our competition. I think Silas would be a contender...

I received more parts for mine in the mail today (Muyahahahaha).

Mr. seducer of felines, welcome back to the fold.

If any one is interested - we seem to be developing a critical mass of Melbournian Steampunkers. I am more than happy to host a profile of steampunk in Victoria on my blog www.austeampunk.blogspot.com if people wish to post thier details/weblinks/project photo's etc here.

...back to the lab - my steampunk communicator is still playing up (see blog).

SilasHarridenMD
Officer
Australia Australia

The best kind of Fusion... is confusion!

« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2008, 03:35:13 pm »

SilasHarriden, that is looking fabulous
I see... vial? like objects (a pair of them) to the left, and some red object inside... what are they? 

what you are seeing is jars of gelatine, the red things are dead glowsticks.

Very nice work Silas (and welcome!)...

... I see metal brackets that go in the shed for hanging tools, a barometer, pipe brackets, a vegetable steamer, but what are the candle lights?

the green glowing things are spice rack Jars, turned on there heads and screwed onto the base (an upsidedown teaspoon rack) all of the pack glows on glow sticks.
i'm pretty good at pulling things apart, but with electrical wiring, i'll leave that up 2 you maduncle.

Oh, If anyone wants an alternative place and with the subtle neuances of a locamotive, i suggest PUFFING BILLY.
its a shameless plug, i live about 5 minutes drive from it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: