The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 14, 2019, 08:47:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 134434 times)
alfa1
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2008, 11:51:04 am »

Well, that was a ton of fun! Great to meet you all...

Circumstances were not propitious.
I had planned to attend, but it was not to be.     
Did anyone take photos?
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2008, 12:22:05 pm »

Well, that was a ton of fun! Great to meet you all...

Indeed, it was both a lot of fun and great to meet Rowan of Rin, The Lone Cat Charmer and Horse Brass. Shame to have missed you Mad Uncle, perhaps next time.

I managed to pick up a couple of small items (an old carpenters square with some brass bits and an old pair of medical forceps).

My feet are tired from all the walking and my brain exhausted from so conversation and a day spent marvelling at old stuff. A day well spent, thinks I.

You can count me in on a makers day. As I said earlier, I'm bound to have some project that I can bring along.

Circumstances were not propitious.
I had planned to attend, but it was not to be.     
Did anyone take photos?

Salutations alfa1, Sad to hear circumstances were not favourable for your attendance. Yes, some photo's were taken, I shall post some momentarily.

(edit) and here they are (drum roll)

<br><p> From the left: Horse Brass, Rowan of Rin and The Lone Cat Charmer. Unfortunately Mad Uncle was unable to stay long enough for me to meet him and as I managed to be on the right side of the camera Wink

Here is a close up:

Cheers,

« Last Edit: August 24, 2008, 01:37:15 pm by Dante Aetherson » Logged

Dante Aetherson

"The only thing I am truly creative at is spelling!"
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2008, 01:33:09 pm »

Well...

... if meeting you good folk was the inspiration I needed this evening to finally get the IDE drive mounted and operating in my PC build, and fit the brass press button and fit the lamp holders for the LED chaser...

...then I am up for a build day for sure! Sorry I missed meeting the rest of you but I am sure we will catch up again. I shall continue to hord all things old and brassy ('cept my mum) in preperation for a trade and build session.

Rowan of Rin - you know what colour bottles I like...

...hooray! Grin

'...within interventions distance of the embassy...
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2008, 02:16:22 pm »

... as I managed to be on the right side of the camera Wink

Not all of the time you weren't.  Smiley

It was a good day out, and I would say more, but I am literally falling asleep at the keyb oard.
I shall do my best to be in any future meetups.

"Not without my hat." - Scott Anger, The Dame was Loaded
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #104 on: August 25, 2008, 07:20:20 am »

Well, that was a ton of fun! Great to meet you all, and realise you aren't so alone in this wide world!

Unfortunately Wunderkammer was closed, but we stared in the window and I did notice TWO STUFFED OWLS, hint hint Prof?!

We will probably have it in October so it can coincide with the Prof's journey to Melbourne, so that gives us a bit of time to plan it all out.

Aiieeeee! <Sharp stabbing pains in the wallet!>

The long weekend (Heh! - the first weekend in October) I will be bush, so it looks like I will pop down on the weekend of the 11th/12th October. There's currently no reason on the calendar to miss that one. Back to look in the workshop for something to bring along (currently restoring an old set of demonstration fluorescence tubes).

Sounds like excellent fun was had by all. Yay!

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #105 on: August 25, 2008, 11:16:29 am »

Very enjoyable day indeed, good ol' morning hunts are great... next time we should meet even earlier!  Cheesy
And what the deuce.. I barely looked at the camera in those photos...

The long weekend (Heh! - the first weekend in October) I will be bush, so it looks like I will pop down on the weekend of the 11th/12th October. There's currently no reason on the calendar to miss that one.
Now its my turn to aiyee... the time around 11th/12th is most undoubtedly one of the most busiest times for me! Uni folios and designs all to be curated and edited and whatnot, though if the 11th/12th are the days to be then I will not mind missing out!
The busy times are also around my birthday (16th Oct) >_<

Good stuff the meeting was again!

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #106 on: August 28, 2008, 07:41:43 am »

And a good day was had by all Lips sealed

I scored a few goodies (but someone got there early and bought that box of brass clock faces and mechanisms I tried to buy later!).

I got a small piece of luggage, a small imperial vernier caliper, a barometer (that stinks of tobacco smoke) and a 1938 copy of Popular Science (rocket ships!). The barometer has already given up its brass rim for my communicator.

'Twas great to meet (sir) Rowan of Rin and the Lone Charmer of Felines - my apologies for losing you in the fray but the good doctor (Who) called and I could not knock back a set of coming episodes.

So - who else made it and where did you all go?

...huzzah!
...Donna Noble has left the Library T_T I cannot wait till Sunday, please oh please tell me what happens :p
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #107 on: August 28, 2008, 07:47:20 am »

oh, and sorry i missed you guys!! I didn't forget, but i had not the cash nor the good health to come foraging with you.

hopefully next time, yus? and then have some milky green tea. on ice. don't knock it <3
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« Reply #108 on: August 28, 2008, 11:28:57 am »

oh, and sorry i missed you guys!! I didn't forget, but i had not the cash nor the good health to come foraging with you.

hopefully next time, yus? and then have some milky green tea. on ice. don't knock it <3
Milky green tea?! Who ever heard of such nonsense Cheesy
We would be most pleased if you attending the next meeting!

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #109 on: August 29, 2008, 06:10:33 am »

...Donna Noble has left the Library T_T I cannot wait till Sunday, please oh please tell me what happens :p

[/quote]

Well... sufficed to say if I told you what happens next, that would be 'spoilers'.

BUT the second episode ROCKS with some very sad bits and some very funny bits.

listen out for,

... there is someone alive  - or there is someone alive and they are drying their hair

... and where did you get these handcuffs? 

Also - I think the library set has to be one of the steampunkiest I have seen so far in the current series, all that wood panelling and milky glass doorswith art deco lettering.

...maduncle has left the library...
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #110 on: August 29, 2008, 07:17:49 am »

But have you been saved ?

The way some of that ties into the series finale is wonderful. I cannot wait to see what master Moffett gets up to after taking over from Russel T Davies....
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #111 on: August 29, 2008, 12:31:56 pm »

This reminds me, I am unlikely to see this Sundays episode ::sobs::

Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #112 on: August 30, 2008, 06:43:11 am »

Well... sufficed to say if I told you what happens next, that would be 'spoilers'.

BUT the second episode ROCKS with some very sad bits and some very funny bits.

listen out for,

... there is someone alive  - or there is someone alive and they are drying their hair

... and where did you get these handcuffs? 

Also - I think the library set has to be one of the steampunkiest I have seen so far in the current series, all that wood panelling and milky glass doorswith art deco lettering.

ah, and the most exciting part is that the library is real!
although if i remember correctly it was condemned, or vacant, or some such umpardonable crime Sad
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #113 on: August 30, 2008, 06:46:35 am »

it is really, really good. it's bubble tea i think, but the place where i get it doesn't call it that, and they have no pearls. which is good because i hate them <3 you must try it. and the vegetarian tea garden where i get it, in ballarat. they have mock duck, mock duck i tell you! it is wheat protein but crispy and wonderful, and actually tastes like duck <3
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #114 on: August 30, 2008, 08:01:54 am »

it is really, really good. it's bubble tea i think, but the place where i get it doesn't call it that, and they have no pearls. which is good because i hate them <3 you must try it. and the vegetarian tea garden where i get it, in ballarat. they have mock duck, mock duck i tell you! it is wheat protein but crispy and wonderful, and actually tastes like duck <3
Oh, you are the first person I have met that like bubble tea but hates the pearls as well!
*high five*
But mock duck, why not eat normal duck Huh Unless you are vegetarian, but then how do you know what real duck tastes like Wink
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #115 on: August 30, 2008, 03:38:10 pm »

Argh duck is so good! Cover me with it!... wait a minute... mock duck? Blasphemy!
No pearl love?
I shall be outrageous and say that I love the stuff... but ONLY in balanced quantities! Nothing beats a good tea:pearl ratio!

Now! With all this talk of food and mock duck (bah) I will scout my pantry for delectable delicacies to devour Tongue
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 06:47:09 am by The Lone Cat Charmer » Logged
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #116 on: August 31, 2008, 04:51:08 am »

Oh, you are the first person I have met that like bubble tea but hates the pearls as well!
*high five*
But mock duck, why not eat normal duck Huh Unless you are vegetarian, but then how do you know what real duck tastes like Wink
well, i eat mock duck because good, fresh real duck is hard to find here. also because the restaurant is vegetarian, so... mock duck. I really like it there and i can go there with friends who are vegetarian. Even though I'm not.

and yes! pearls on occasion are okayyyyy.... but definitely not my preference. I just don't understand why you'd put them in tea, they feel like eating snot :p
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #117 on: August 31, 2008, 04:53:17 am »

Argh duck is so good! Cover me with it!... wait a minute... mock duck? Blasphemy!
No pearl love?
I shall be outrageous and say that I love the stuff... but ONLY in balanced quantities! Nothing beats a good tea:pearl ratio!

Now! With all this talk of food and mock duck (bah) I will scout my pantry for delectable delicacies to devour.   

ah, mock duck is not all that bad, you should come down and try it :p although not quite as good as real duck, it's still crispy and tasty <3

haha you'll have to show me what the right tea:pearl ratio is. perhaps i just tend to get given too many of the horrible little things *ergh face*
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #118 on: September 07, 2008, 09:03:43 am »

Greetings fellow Australian punkers of steam,

Why does the maduncle look like this Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Because his casemod is on the front page of Jake VonSlatt's Steampunk Workshop website! Shocked

That's one small step for the maduncle - one GIANT leap for Australian Steampunk-kind.

Now - if you have thingies you have built or are building, please email pics and stories to me and I will gladly add them to my blog on all things steampunk in Australia.

... back to the drawing board...

BTW - what is this pearly tea-ish substance you speak of - will I find it in T2 (not the Arnie type but the nice smelling shop type).
Horse Brass
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

« Reply #119 on: September 07, 2008, 05:26:30 pm »

That is an impressive piece of work maduncle, I wish more PCs moved away from the standard box look! (Says the guy who hasn't even touched the generic black box on his desk.  Smiley )
The bit I really admire in creations like that is the imagination to make the leap from the materials to a totally different design.

A couple of weeks ago, I promised Rowan some links to working steam, but with crunch time at work this is the first time I've had a chance to follow up on that. I thought they might be of more general interest.

First up are the iron horses I waste too much time chasing.  Grin

I imagine everyone knows about Puffing Billy. http://www.puffingbilly.com.au/
There are other tourist railways running broad gauge Victorian Railways trains.
In Mornington, the 2-8-0 branchline loco K163 runs a few Sundays a month. http://www.morningtonrailway.org.au/
The Victorian Goldfields Railway http://www.vgr.com.au/ runs between Castlemaine and Maldon. At the moment they have K160, J515 and J541 in steam.
Out on the mainline, Steamrail http://www.steamrail.com.au/ runs trips all over the state. Their next trips will be $10 shuttles between Camberwell and Mitcham with K153 and K190 on the 21st. The afternoon trips were packed to standing room when I went last year, but the morning trips might be a nice end to a look around the market. (I'll be in Brisbane that weekend myself.)

For other steam engines, including traction engines, the National Steam Centre http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mstec/nsc.htm has all sorts of things, and a big Rally in March. At the Rally there is everything from toy steam engines to traction engines to big stationary engines.
The big traction engine rally is in Echuca http://www.echucasteamrally.com.au/. And of course there's also the paddle steamers up there. I've only managed to get up there once so far.

And now I should take my messed up sleeping patterns back to bed.
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #120 on: September 08, 2008, 01:06:21 pm »

Love the steam train updates horsebrass,

My personal fave ('cos I work in Seymour) is the Seymour Railway Heritage Centre (www.srhc.org.au) as they have the COOLEST carriages - such as the 'State Car No. 4' and the 'Yarra'. We held a work 'christmas in July' dinner in the dining cars in the sidings in Seymour and had ghost tours of the old carriages at night - heaps of fun. Some of those old carriages are very vernian - full of secret cupboards with big bakelite knobs, heavy cloth covered cables and loads of brass gauges.

I am keeping an eye on a property in Mernda near me. it was sold recently and it has a huge field out the back with rows of old steam rollers and stationary engines. I keep hoping to see a garage sale sign out the front!
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #121 on: September 08, 2008, 01:32:28 pm »

Holy steaming pistons Maduncle Shocked That is quite the object of beauty, and has me drooling where I sit! You must post this up in Tactile posthaste, or there will be hell to pay Wink

Thanks for the links Horse Brass, I can't wait for the steam rallies! In the meantime I might take a ride with Steamrail, it does sound rather an idyllic way to end a market hunt. And speaking of markets, I thought I might post some pictures of what I purchased just yesterday at the market (I went a bit overboard Smiley):

First, my favourite:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

potential ray gun handle? (bakelite):

A whole lot 'o leather:

Old satchel built like a tank (1cm thick leather Shocked):

A pair of awesome drawers to put some of the stuff I buy into Tongue (only one pictured obviously!)

Two really cool found ink bottles Smiley

You can find more pictures HERE especially of the contents of all those tiny little bottles!

Anyone want to meet at the market next week? I will be there every week without fail from now on, so if you are planning on coming, give me a shout!
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #122 on: September 08, 2008, 11:01:37 pm »

I don't think that was overboard. Very nice score on the specimen collection!

One question though - what's the stuff in the tin ? (Image DSC_0008.jpg)

How well are they labeled ? I can identify a couple of them (the scorpion is Lychas marmoreus, the orchid looks like a chiloglottis, but could well be another related genus of <something>glottis).

Well done in that lot! (I have GOT to get to these markets....)
maduncle
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Indubitably...

@maduncle
« Reply #123 on: September 10, 2008, 02:25:04 am »

Holy steaming pistons Maduncle Shocked That is quite the object of beauty, and has me drooling where I sit! You must post this up in Tactile posthaste, or there will be hell to pay Wink

Okay Sir Rin - what is 'tactile' and how do I post?

And how do you make those pictures come up in your post when I click on 'spoiler'?

Like the raygun handle - found something quite similar the other day in cast metal.

Toodle pip

Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2008, 02:42:57 am »

Thank you Cheesy
One question though - what's the stuff in the tin ? (Image DSC_0008.jpg)

I have absolutely no clue, I was hoping someone could shine some light on it (which I have done, and it sparkles Cheesy). It is very finely grained, and has a blueish purple tint to it...
Regarding labeling, some of the specimens are labeled with their common name (such as 'Eagles Nest') and some have things like 'M-90% F-5% G-5%' written on them which could be the solution it is suspended in..And the orchid is labeled, but only says where it was collected. Thank you for the info though! I will have to show all of them to you when you come down in October!

Okay Sir Rin - what is 'tactile' and how do I post?

And how do you make those pictures come up in your post when I click on 'spoiler'?

I wish I could find a cast metal handle, I have been looking all over! To answer your questions, THIS is Tactile, the board to show off all the things you have made, I am sure everyone would love to see your fantastic creation  Grin

To post 'spoilered' pictures, use a format like this
Code:
[spoiler][img]www.the place your picture is hosted on the aethernet.com[/img][/spoiler]
and it should work correctly!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: