The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
December 16, 2017, 06:32:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne/Victoria Meetup? **Swap meet still going ahead! Mutants be damned!**  (Read 111923 times)
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

~The Black Blood Alchemist~

« on: April 11, 2008, 08:22:02 am »

Well, I am feeling jealous, as Brisbane has had a couple 'o meet ups, and us folks are still unbeknown to each other. So, is there any interest, or for that matter anyone actually residing in Victoria? And how does the idea of having a meet up sound, whether it is a full day of jam-packed activities, or just Devonshire tea (which is also jam packed, often raspberry Wink), or even a group bargain hunt.

I would love to meet some of you lot, so I can feel a little less mad for spending all my savings on broken bits and bobs while my friends are playing on their xbox..

Even if you don't want to meet, just let me know you are here!

Lonely Melbournian, over and out.

See the last page for details of current meetup.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2010, 05:02:04 am by Rowan of Rin » Logged

I'm as mad as I am, but no madder!
Live in Victoria? Check out the Victoria Meet Up Thread!
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008, 03:27:12 am »

heya!

I'm about 2 hours from Melbourne, in Ballarat. (we kick ass, we've got an 1850's theme park <3 )

Bargain hunt sounds good, it would take me a little while to get some money together though ^_^ Let me know when/if you plan something.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 03:33:45 am by Lt. Lily Shaw » Logged
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008, 05:09:12 am »

Well, organising something is all dependent on what other people want, when would be a good time for you? At the moment it just seems like the two of us, but you never know, more may come out of the woodwork...

And yes, I have very fond memories of Sovereign Hill, especially the lolly shop...Cheesy
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008, 09:48:31 am »

Well, organising something is all dependent on what other people want, when would be a good time for you? At the moment it just seems like the two of us, but you never know, more may come out of the woodwork...

And yes, I have very fond memories of Sovereign Hill, especially the lolly shop...Cheesy
oh dear, don't get me started on the lolly shop.

I have approximately..... zero money currently, and will do for some time. my main thing to be hunting for would be period match fabrics and buttons, as well as parasols, gloves, lace, and nicknacks. and i have absolutely no idea where to look.

although if you've heard of industria i'd like to check that out.

I'd love to somehow bring home an old dentist's chair. I nearly had one last year but they sent it to the tip when i couldn't get a treailer ready in time.

anyway, i've started saving. Even just hanging out wouldn't be too bad, my town or yours, ^_^
Rowan of Rin
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 01:23:05 am »

I have approximately..... zero money currently, and will do for some time. my main thing to be hunting for would be period match fabrics and buttons, as well as parasols, gloves, lace, and nicknacks. and i have absolutely no idea where to look.

I'd love to somehow bring home an old dentist's chair. I nearly had one last year but they sent it to the tip when i couldn't get a treailer ready in time.

anyway, i've started saving. Even just hanging out wouldn't be too bad, my town or yours, ^_^
Well, for gloves lace and all that, I go to the Camberwell market often, and there is a stall there that has really nice old clothes (alas, all ladies) and some even Victorian! On the new side, there is a store in Melbourne Central complex which sells all that stuff, but VERY pricey. I need to get some fabric as well, as I really need a waistcoat to go with my pocket watches, but I can't afford a new one, they are about $200!!!
But yes, looking as stuff is just as nice, but how in the world do you get from Ballarat to Melbourne, or vice versa, I have no idea!?
Lt. Lily Shaw
Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:25:07 am »

Well, for gloves lace and all that, I go to the Camberwell market often, and there is a stall there that has really nice old clothes (alas, all ladies) and some even Victorian! On the new side, there is a store in Melbourne Central complex which sells all that stuff, but VERY pricey. I need to get some fabric as well, as I really need a waistcoat to go with my pocket watches, but I can't afford a new one, they are about $200!!!
But yes, looking as stuff is just as nice, but how in the world do you get from Ballarat to Melbourne, or vice versa, I have no idea!?

there's a vline train. it runs half-hourly <3 i'm so glad of it sometimes
The Lone Cat Charmer
Officer
Australia Australia

Steam it!

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 06:00:06 pm »

Darn that store at Melbourne Central, had a lookie and they want an arm and a leg for a vest, argh, I'll find a cheaper source or make my own! (which I AM capable of doing thankee very much)

Any other Victorians round' here?
Oh and I am from Melbourne too...

Soon I shall train a cat... to sit on my head... everyday
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2008, 08:15:13 am »

ooohoohh im a victorian!

i live just south of melb (about 1h-1 1/2 hours southward)

id love to come to anything that happens altho im a bit new to scene and has no kit Sad
but you guys could help? hints, tips etc
next time im in melb il check that store out Cheesy

incognito you say? how can i burn the place down incognito?
EvilWombatQueen
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2008, 02:50:19 pm »

I'm from Melbourne too, but also a newbie here. St Kilda area.
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2008, 03:27:31 pm »

**sniggers** st. kilda ey? lol jokes Cheesy

we should go for a tea thingy at the botanical gardens some time
EvilWombatQueen
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2008, 01:26:29 am »

**sniggers** st. kilda ey? lol jokes Cheesy

we should go for a tea thingy at the botanical gardens some time

Well, steampunk gear is expensive and a girl has to earn her money some way, doesn't she?  Wink

Tea at the botanical gardens sounds like a great idea, Kuulith. We may want to wait for the weather to get a bit better though!
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2008, 02:54:51 am »

yeah the weather **sighs** vic weather can be so strange.

maybe just a romp around melb looking for/at things?
EvilWombatQueen
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2008, 03:11:54 am »

Romping always sounds good! I'm booked for this weekend, but I should be available after that.

We could go and check out Wunderkammer in Lonsdale Street. I've always meant to pop in there for a look but I've never got around to it. And maybe to the Hopetoun Tea Rooms for a spot of tea afterwards.  Cheesy
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2008, 03:22:24 am »

sounds good Cheesy

so long as there are no spiders.
EvilWombatQueen
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2008, 03:40:58 am »

Ooh, no promises there. It being a collection of medical, scientific and natural curiosities I'd probably expect not just spiders but mutant spiders at that.

I'm pretty sure we'll be safe at the Hopetoun Tea Rooms though. I've never seen a spider there.  Grin
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2008, 05:44:27 am »

Aha!

Since I am happily halfway between Melbourne and Sydney I can spend my copper coins of the realm in both places.

That said, no plans to get down your way until at least late-August, but number one on my shopping hitlist is Wunderkammer. Then the antiques arcade in Prahran, assuming that it's still there (should be).

I shall keep an eye on this thread and hope to meet you all in due course!

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
ClockworkGodess
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2008, 09:57:04 am »

I too live in the Victorian region, and if the opportunity arrived I would pounce upon a spot of tea and scones. The Clockwork brain I possess, however, is pondering about the age of one's fellow Victorians. One can assure you it would be odd catching up with someone thirty or so years older than oneself. By the Bye, I don't suppose any of you have found a source of goggles within our state border?

Check out the steampunk brain I found:
http://kevan.org/brain.cgi?kururin.
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2008, 11:22:51 am »

ahahaahah i agree. altho it wouldn't really matter i think, its the passion that brings us together. so long as nothing illeagal happens( unless it includes explosions) all should be well.
no, but im intreasted in making some, and if that pans out nicely and others like, il happily make some for others. but it all depends if i can actully do it.

other wise if some one finds a shop post it here so we can all go and get some goggles (prefrebly of diffrent types so no confusion entails at tea and scone gatherings)
EvilWombatQueen
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 11:38:49 am »

Since I am happily halfway between Melbourne and Sydney I can spend my copper coins of the realm in both places.

That said, no plans to get down your way until at least late-August, but number one on my shopping hitlist is Wunderkammer. Then the antiques arcade in Prahran, assuming that it's still there (should be).

I shall keep an eye on this thread and hope to meet you all in due course!

Maybe we should plan for a meet-up in late August then. The Chapel Street Bazaar is definitely still operational. I went there shopping a few weeks ago. Didn't buy anything but drooled a lot.

The Clockwork brain I possess, however, is pondering about the age of one's fellow Victorians. One can assure you it would be odd catching up with someone thirty or so years older than oneself. By the Bye, I don't suppose any of you have found a source of goggles within our state border?

Well, I'm a relatively ancient 34. So according to my maths if you're four years old or younger then you may be weirded out meeting me. Otherwise we should be fine.  Grin

I haven't found a bricks and mortar shop that sells goggles locally yet. I'm relying on the mighty eBay for raw goggles. International shipping can be expensive, but so far all my purchases have been under $30 so it's not too bad. I'm going to Bunnings this Friday so if I see anything there I'll let you know.
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2008, 12:58:22 pm »

good ol' bunnings lol
i remember finding some strange goggles in my dads shed, he said they where for saw dust, they whernt tribbly steampunkish at all ( complete molded clear plastic**shudders** but i liked em cause they fitted over my glasses.

btw im 18 Cheesy rofl
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2008, 01:00:36 pm »

Salutations one and all,

I too reside in Melbourne (South East at present) and think it would be awesome to meet with like minded creatures.

Late August works for me and gives me a chance to come up with a suitable outfit. If everyone participating was over 18, I'd suggest the M.O.O. bar (situated in the old Money Order Office of the GPO) - great atmosphere.

Anton's is indeed expensive, but such fantabulous gear!

I can attest to the worthiness of Wunderkammer, it is a great shop and to whomever was expressing concern over spiders... the idea is not to look at those bits and rest assured they are sealed up and very past their due date! Likewise for anyone with concerns over Anacondas and Salties. Wink

Dante Aetherson

"The only thing I am truly creative at is spelling!"
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2008, 10:54:51 pm »

The Clockwork brain I possess, however, is pondering about the age of one's fellow Victorians. One can assure you it would be odd catching up with someone thirty or so years older than oneself.

Oh, I am definitely in the senior statesman category at 37. Comfortable in the role of gentleman scientist with an accumulation of gear.  Smiley

Now if only the few silver hairs I possess formed themselves into something suave yet possibly evil, I'd be right!

Maybe we should plan for a meet-up in late August then. The Chapel Street Bazaar is definitely still operational. I went there shopping a few weeks ago. Didn't buy anything but drooled a lot.

They were a constant source of poverty for me when Mum lived in Prahran. I always seemed to come home with far less money than I started with (not that that was much to begin with).  Embarrassed

Anton's is indeed expensive, but such fantabulous gear!

I can attest to the worthiness of Wunderkammer, it is a great shop and to whomever was expressing concern over spiders... the idea is not to look at those bits and rest assured they are sealed up and very past their due date! Likewise for anyone with concerns over Anacondas and Salties. Wink

They have a stuffed crocodile ?? Oh boy. It would have to be suspended from the ceiling - just being able to  say to visitors "mind your head for the crocodile" is too much to resist.

Mr AEtherson, what is Anton's ?
Kuulith
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2008, 02:16:16 am »

i googled the M.O.O bar to have a look and WOW!
it looks awesome!

here's a review from the age epicure.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/bar-reviews/moo/2005/11/25/1132703363125.html
Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2008, 07:20:39 am »

They have a stuffed crocodile ?? Oh boy. It would have to be suspended from the ceiling - just being able to  say to visitors "mind your head for the crocodile" is too much to resist.

Mr AEtherson, what is Anton's ?

I don't think there was any stuffed ones, just whole skins. However, I must say, I do like your idea of suspending them... would you go so far as to have a placard warning said visitors?

Anton's is the name of the expensive but so very funky clothing store at Melbourne Central (mentioned by Rowan of Rin and Lt. Lily Shaw earlier in this thread) - or at least I'm assuming it is the store being discussed. They also have a store in Sydney. I don't believe they have a website - review can be found here http://undergroundmelbourne.wordpress.com/2008/01/20/antons-dapper-dreams-for-a-drab-world-level-3-melbourne-central/. Contra to the review, I believe the style is more 30's than 40's - though they do have quite a mix and much has a distinctly 'naughties' flavour.

Antons Melbourne
Shop 224, Level 3 Lonsdale St Building
Melbourne Central
Phone: 03 9663 8610
Opening Hours: normal Melbourne Central hours

Quote from: ClockworkGodess
on July 02, 2008, 09:57:04 AM
The Clockwork brain I possess, however, is pondering about the age of one's fellow Victorians. One can assure you it would be odd catching up with someone thirty or so years older than oneself.

I be a veritable ancient at 38. I also think however, it would be very odd catching up with someone 30 years younger than oneself.

Dante Aetherson
Gunner
Australia Australia

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2008, 07:28:37 am »

i googled the M.O.O bar to have a look and WOW!
it looks awesome!

It is! It is, I say! Smiley

There are two parts, one upstairs and the other downstairs. The downstairs is accessed via a fairly narrow stairwell - may be a factor for some.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... 47   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: