The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 19, 2019, 03:33:40 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking sticks with secrets...  (Read 115067 times)
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #325 on: August 13, 2010, 07:57:07 pm »

...flag-pole walking stick! Someone make one, quick!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #326 on: August 13, 2010, 09:44:32 pm »

You can buy tapered'blank' shafts from www.thestickman.co.uk plus a lot of other things like ferrules, collars, handles, screw connectors etc.

Very useful site, thanks!

the length is generally measured from your wrist bone to the ground when standing straight

Also very helpful!
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #327 on: August 13, 2010, 10:20:03 pm »

My other supplier is www.craft-supplies.co.uk, good for regency, duck and compass brass handles and knobs, ferrules and screw connectors. The ball compass head, you can remove the compass and use it as a container. On of the first mods I did was alter one to become a detachable  dice cup, with a set of D20 game dice in it, and a pencil in a hole drilled into the shaft lined with brass tube, everthing you need for a RPG and a modern spin on a classic gadget stick.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Camera Obscura
Officer
United States United States

Latin: Camera = “room” - Obscura = “dark"

« Reply #328 on: August 13, 2010, 10:30:25 pm »

I must admit to not reading all the pages and this might have been mentioned. I have seen pictures of late 19th century canes (would need to be post introduction of dry plates) that have a built in camera. Think it might have been a stereo camera. I would sooo much like to have one for our detective camera collection but we could not afford it.

We did find a cane that converted to a camera tripod which was mentioned earlier in the thread. It was rather unassuming visually and did not catch our fancy.

----------------------------------------------------------------
“The illiterate of the future will be the person ignorant of the use of the camera as well as of the pen.”
      Maholy-Nagy, Vision in Motion, 1947
Mister Griffiths
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #329 on: August 16, 2010, 06:57:29 pm »

I have a question.

What is a normal size  (Length and diameter) of a walking stick?
The ones i have seen are all tapered. How do you make them like that? On a lathe or is there another way.

If you feel like tapering a stick yourself, you can do so with the judicious application of a device called a 'stail engine'. Orignally used to produce stails for rakes and shovels (hence the name), the operate very much like a large pencil sharpener, and the two adjusting sides can be twiddled around to produce a very smoothly tapering cane.

These devices can be found on ebay from time to time, or you can make one yourself using a modified spokeshave iron, a block of dense wood and a drill bit. Oh, and some practice. LOTS of practice!

Mister G

"Me, lie? Never! The truth is far too much fun...."

"Tea, Science, and a better past"
Major Dan Badger
Deck Hand

"Is this about his pot plants?"

« Reply #330 on: August 16, 2010, 09:11:23 pm »

I recently damaged my knee in an accident on a Bi-Wheel Non-Motorised Roving Machine, a BiCycle, and Friends could not fathom why I was so happy. The reason is this; I now have a legitimate use for a walking stick. I'd dance for Joy but, as aforementioned... Wink

On the Subject of Sword-Sticks, does any gentleman or woman with any legal knowledge know if there is a loophole we can exploit in order to be able to carry them without intent to cause harm? For example, as a fashion accessory, similar to a hair pin or other object?

Major Dan

Major Dan Badger
Inventor, Explorer, Extrodinaire
Recipient of the Golden Cog for Outstanding Bravery and Valour
Endeavour Cull
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #331 on: August 16, 2010, 09:19:07 pm »

I have a question.

The ones i have seen are all tapered. How do you make them like that? On a lathe or is there another way.

If you feel like tapering a stick yourself, you can do so with the judicious application of a device called a 'stail engine'. Orignally used to produce stails for rakes and shovels (hence the name), the operate very much like a large pencil sharpener, and the two adjusting sides can be twiddled around to produce a very smoothly tapering cane.

These devices can be found on ebay from time to time, or you can make one yourself using a modified spokeshave iron, a block of dense wood and a drill bit. Oh, and some practice. LOTS of practice!

Mister G

Thanks! Never heard of that piece of equipment nor can find anything on building one myself and the working of it is not all to clear to me.
Mister Griffiths
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #332 on: August 16, 2010, 09:26:53 pm »

I have a question.

Mister G

Thanks! Never heard of that piece of equipment nor can find anything on building one myself and the working of it is not all to clear to me.

I believe I have some plans kicking around somewhere, if i can dig them out at some point I will pass them on to anybody who's interested. PM, anybody who is!

Mister G
amakusa
Swab

« Reply #333 on: August 17, 2010, 06:27:34 pm »

I recently damaged my knee in an accident on a Bi-Wheel Non-Motorised Roving Machine, a BiCycle, and Friends could not fathom why I was so happy. The reason is this; I now have a legitimate use for a walking stick. I'd dance for Joy but, as aforementioned... Wink

On the Subject of Sword-Sticks, does any gentleman or woman with any legal knowledge know if there is a loophole we can exploit in order to be able to carry them without intent to cause harm? For example, as a fashion accessory, similar to a hair pin or other object?

Major Dan

In most places it would probably be a don't ask, don't tell policy unless you like in Arizona, USA where it is now legal to carry a conceled weapon as long as you are 21 or older
Prof. Postrophe
Officer

« Reply #334 on: September 14, 2010, 06:52:31 am »

I have a question.

Mister G

I believe I have some plans kicking around somewhere, if i can dig them out at some point I will pass them on to anybody who's interested. PM, anybody who is!

Mister G

Forgive me, all... but am I wrong, or has the question of normal diameter not as yet been addressed?
To my experience, walking sticks are almost invariantly in the range of an inch in greatest diameter, varying by one fourth of an inch either way.. am I incorrect in this?
(I sincerely hope so, as I have a current project that will absolutely require a larger bore..)

*Mechanical and electro-magnetic noises in the background, rising...*
"...However, one must keep in mind that eternal caveat of the engineering sciences..."
*sound of metal bending, then bursting glass and arcing discharge, followed by general crashing tumult...
...which finally ends with the sound of a magneto-dynamo sputtering to silence..*

"...'To The Limits Of The Device.'.."
Mister Griffiths
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #335 on: September 14, 2010, 10:40:22 am »

All of my sticks end up slightly under an inch in greatest diameter, but that is purely because those are the proportions most pleasing to me! Once length is ascertained, you can judge the diameter by eye, and if you need a slightly wider stick for cunning gadgetry, well, there is nothing to stop you!

One word of advice, though....if you are planning to use commercially available fittings (heads, joiners, ferrules etc) it is wise to make the stick to match their diameters, otherwise you can end up with odd looking steps in the design. Of course, nothing is stopping you making your own fittings......Smiley
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #336 on: September 14, 2010, 03:08:10 pm »

My walking stick is keeping its secret - its location.  I lost track of it during a move some years ago, I am not even sure when.  I am hoping that it will turn up one day, and I will remember having placed it carefully there - "someplace safe" - all those years ago.

It was just the right length, a satisfying weight of silver in the hand, with my great-great-grandfather's initials on the top - his address, at the time, on the side of the head.

I know it was probably stolen, but I keep hoping.

Cheers

Chas.

Captain Sir Charles A. Lyerly, O.B.T.
Soldier of Fortune and Gentleman Adventurer
wire: captain_lyerly, at wire office "Yahoo dot Qom"

"You'd think he'd learn."
"Heh! De best minions neffer do!"
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #337 on: September 14, 2010, 03:17:41 pm »

if you check out The Stickman's site (above) you will see he does two different diameters depending upon the wood, elm can be of a lesser diameter than ash because it stronger.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #338 on: September 14, 2010, 08:38:49 pm »

I am currently working on making my second walking staff.  The first one I made from Cedar, and it turned out really nice.  For the second one I cut a young BlackJack tree.  I'm not sure how it will end up, since BlackJack trees are a general pain in the butt.  The trees spontaneously die, always have lots of low-hanging dead limbs, and their wood is hard as a rock.  They're a type of oak though, so they should be failry strong once dried.  The tree I chose was about 2.5 inches in diameter at it's widest and about 1" at the top.  It has a lot of bends in it too.  Gives it sort of a mystic/wizardy feel.  Bark has been stripped from most of the wood (Using my grandfather's old draw knife I might add) and it is currently drying on my workbench.  I should be able to sand and maybe apply the first coat of varnish this coming weekend.  Depending on how it looks and feels I may burn some symbols or runes into it somewhere. 

I guess this doesn't really count as having a secret, but still thought I'd post it.
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #339 on: September 15, 2010, 07:16:21 pm »

Major Dan

The real problem is not the blade, in fact in most places you can still legally carry a sword, as long as it's visible (you may indeed get stopped and asked questions, but it is legal).  The problem with sword canes is that the blade is concealed.  That is legal... almost nowhere.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because
rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell
Lord Wraste
Zeppelin Overlord

I'm so sneaky even I don't know what I'm up to.

« Reply #340 on: September 15, 2010, 07:21:38 pm »

Major Dan

The real problem is not the blade, in fact in most places you can still legally carry a sword, as long as it's visible (you may indeed get stopped and asked questions, but it is legal).  The problem with sword canes is that the blade is concealed.  That is legal... almost nowhere.
As a note, Major Dan is in the UK. They have DRASTICALLY different laws and views about carrying blades there than they do here in the US.

In the UK (last I checked) you couldn't walk around with a blade over a certain length unless you were a card carrying member of a reenactment or acting troupe.

Gets a bit sticky (pun intended Wink) when you then conceal said blade. Smiley
SolarCenturion
Snr. Officer

Stand a little less between me and the sun

« Reply #341 on: September 15, 2010, 11:01:33 pm »

I suppose in some ways the U.S. is still the Wild West.  There is a law still on the books in the State of Maryland that states that if you are traveling more than one mile from you home, you MUST take a sword with you.

In the State of Virginia, anyone of legal age can carry a gun, as long as it's visible... and getting a license to carry concealed is not very difficult.
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #342 on: September 16, 2010, 01:33:53 pm »

As a note, Major Dan is in the UK. They have DRASTICALLY different laws and views about carrying blades there than they do here in the US.

In the UK (last I checked) you couldn't walk around with a blade over a certain length unless you were a card carrying member of a reenactment or acting troupe.

[/quote]

Carrying a knife over a certain length which is not part of religious raiment or profession related will get you a fine and or prison term. I think you can get away with folding pocket knife under 3". I don't think they like disguised knives much.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #343 on: September 16, 2010, 02:18:53 pm »

The real problem is not the blade, in fact in most places you can still legally carry a sword, as long as it's visible (you may indeed get stopped and asked questions, but it is legal).  The problem with sword canes is that the blade is concealed.  That is legal... almost nowhere.

Carrying a knife over a certain length which is not part of religious raiment or profession related will get you a fine and or prison term. I think you can get away with folding pocket knife under 3". I don't think they like disguised knives much.
[/quote]

Quote from: Britishblades.com Law FAQ
Section 141 of The Criminal justice Act 1988 and The Criminal justice Act 1988 (Offensive Weapons) Order 1988  makes it an offence to manufacture, sell or hire or offer for sale or hire, or expose or have in possession for the purpose of sale or hire or lend or give to any person any of the following weapons [7]:

* Balisong or butterfly knife
    * Knuckleduster
    * Telescopic truncheon
    * Push dagger
    * Shuriken, shaken, or death star
    * Handclaw
    * Footclaw
    * Manrikgusari or kusari (rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at each end to a hard weight or hand grip)
    * Swordstick
    * Hollow kubotan (cylindrical container containing a number of sharp spikes)
    * Blowpipe or blowgun
    * Kusari gama (rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a sickle)
    * Kyoketsu shoge (rope, cord, wire or chain fastened at one end to a hooked knife)
    * Belt buckle knife
    * Disguised knife (added to the list by the 2002 amendment)
    * Stealth knife (added to the list by the 2004 amendment)

All your questions, answered here...
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 02:30:47 pm by Sir Nikolas Vendigroth » Logged
Just call me Rob
Zeppelin Admiral

Captain: RD Susurrus

« Reply #344 on: September 16, 2010, 04:13:52 pm »

Row 5 is great.
We have a law banning the sale of the Death Star.  Grin

Be vewy vewy quiet, I'm hunting aiw kwacken.
DrArclight
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #345 on: September 16, 2010, 04:23:36 pm »

I wonder if "Swordstick" might be interpreted as a wooden sword?  It's a stick that's also a stick.   Grin
Clym Angus
Zeppelin Admiral

Lord of Misrule

« Reply #346 on: September 16, 2010, 06:23:11 pm »

I wonder if "Swordstick" might be interpreted as a wooden sword?  It's a stick that's also a stick.   Grin

Technically as soon as you t**t someone over the head with it, it's an offensive weapon.
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #347 on: September 16, 2010, 07:54:23 pm »

Row 5 is great.
We have a law banning the sale of the Death Star.  Grin

Got to be sure about these things, I guess  Grin
Captain Lyerly
Zeppelin Overlord
Ukraine Ukraine

At the helm of the Frumious Bandersnatch

« Reply #348 on: September 16, 2010, 11:33:36 pm »

Is there... such a thing... as an INoffensive weapon?

Hmmmm...

Cheers

Chas.
DreamHazard
Demoted Temporal Cheat
Steam Aficionado

Gravatar

Xander Wood

« Reply #349 on: September 17, 2010, 12:02:59 am »

Is there... such a thing... as an INoffensive weapon?

Hmmmm...

Cheers

Chas.

display or practise weapons, foils, longbows, anything for target practise, staves (unless actively used against a person)

yeah, there's a fair few "inoffensive" weapons.

and taking into consideration that you don't need a weapon to kill someone, and you could probably kill someone with literally any object you find, there's little point bickering over these laws as some people do.

I mean, I'd probably do more damage with the cane, without adding a sword in there too

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: