The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
June 18, 2019, 08:44:51 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Walking sticks with secrets...  (Read 115048 times)
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Fellow of the Victorian Steampunk Society

« Reply #200 on: December 28, 2008, 11:59:20 pm »

You can use brass screw joints at one or two points in a stick to break it down for transit, it would depend upon how tall you are (the stick should be hip high) and where you want to store it. In my case a stick for my height is just a little too large to fit in a suitcase, so a single joint is all i required. You may require at least two joints, which is not something anyone should try as a DIY project. The Stickman in North Yorkshire (just Google that) who I get DIY supplies from, does custom work, so he could do you something very nice, particular to you, the brass Regency head set from Craft Supplies, Bradwell do a easy to fit head kit which the Stickman should be able to fit it or find something similar.

Proudly giving the entire Asylum The Finger!
Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #201 on: January 05, 2009, 10:32:06 pm »

Mr. Harrow, those all sound incredibly cool, especially the Tool Cane. Might we see pictures at some point?

Mr. Harrow, please don't deprive us any longer of pictures of your walking sticks.

Regarding the Tools Cane, how did you attach the hammer to the stick?

Dave
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #202 on: January 06, 2009, 11:34:03 pm »

Brass hose fittings, they are just the right size and you need fittings which will screw together rathervthan the bayonet and socket type. One will form a collar for the cane, the other can be ground down so it fits over the screw thread of the hammer and will be trapped when the two parts of the hammer are screwed together trapping it in place. It is this which screws to the top of the cane, onto the collar piece. Now I got a straight brass hose to hose connector and rebored it fitting it onto the top piece of the connector which improved its look cosiderably as well as the stability of the piece. Your best bet is to find a traditional hardware shop (I am blessed with one within 5 minutes walk) who sell things in ones and will let you touch and play with the various fittingsuntil you have got the arrangement you want. Its what I did.

I did consider other forms of attachment but this proved to be the simplest and the most effective.

Engineer
Zeppelin Captain

The League of Bournemouth Steampunks

« Reply #203 on: January 06, 2009, 11:46:34 pm »

Your best bet is to find a traditional hardware shop (I am blessed with one within 5 minutes walk) who sell things in ones and will let you touch and play with the various fittingsuntil you have got the arrangement you want. Its what I did.

Thanks for the info - looks like I will have to pop into Boone's in Poole highstreet this weekend (a traditional ironmonger who sells washers and such like individually ...). I picked up my brass hammer/screwdriver set, along with some other tools, from R & N Horological over the Christmas period (excellent mail order service from their website).

Dave
AllGoodIdeas
Deck Hand

Collectible walking sticks and canes

« Reply #204 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:22 am »

Hi Everybody

Great site guys! I have been reading with interest, your posts on walking sticks and canes... 
This thread has been going a long time and I have sadly missed replying to some of the earlier postings, which I was itching to do Smiley

I have a website, which sells collectible sticks and canes and also have tons of stickmaking supplies, a lot of which isn't listed (as per usual, not enough hours in the day etc. etc.. Smiley   )

Some of your ideas, have already been made commerically, which I sell and some of the others have only made it to the patent stage, I have also collected some of the more interesting patents and have a few on my blog.. with more to be added...

I make bespoke and replica walking sticks and canes commercially and have examples in a few exhibitions.

If I can help anyone in any way, let me know and time willing, I will be more than happy to...

Kind Regards
SImon

p.s. Please be kind this is my first post

www.allgoodideas.co.uk walking sticks
Collectible walking sticks and canes for the discerning customer, also stickmaking supplies.
Rain
Deck Hand

« Reply #205 on: January 07, 2009, 11:37:45 am »

Now, I've not read the entire thread, just the first and last page, so I dont know if its been mentioned, but hows about attatching a hidden pen in the cane? After all, the pen is mightier than the sword Cheesy

It's not about being different, it's about not being the same as everyone else.
AllGoodIdeas
Deck Hand

« Reply #206 on: January 07, 2009, 12:19:02 pm »

Hehehe, very good...

Someone has made a writing set cane in the past though, I have pictures somewhere, I wil try and find them, the cane was for sale on Ebay many moons ago, I tried to buy it but was sniped at the last few seconds Sad

Regards
Simon
Rain
Deck Hand

« Reply #207 on: January 07, 2009, 01:05:33 pm »

Sounds really cool. I'm thinking about doing one now, and I'm always looking for missing pens Cheesy
DrTom
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Mad Psyentist

« Reply #208 on: January 07, 2009, 03:42:07 pm »

A writing set cane does sound intriguing!  At present, I'm in the midst of repairing my blackthorn, which has no secrets other than what had happened to it to merit repair.

In the hidden-item category, I have been developing the pepper-spray cane idea ("The Pepper Cane"), but eventually gave it up as less than useful in that in order to be effective, I would need to raise the cane to eye level, then spray.  This partially removes the hidden element of the weapon and is easier to see coming than a small canister  hidden in the hand. 

One option, of course, would be to simply angle the spray so that it hits the face of someone at a certain hight/distance, but by doing so, you increase the distance between the point of origin and the target so much so that the cone of pepper spray widens out considerably, increasing the risk of both of you getting hit by your own weapon.

As such, I'm going to look for other alternatives...

"We are the music makers.
      And we are the dreamers of dreams,"
                    --A. W. E. O'Shaughnessy
AllGoodIdeas
Deck Hand

« Reply #209 on: January 07, 2009, 04:14:14 pm »

There is a patent on my website blog for a pepper spray cane

http://www.allgoodideas.co.uk/wordpress/?p=66

I like all these quirky gadget canes, if they make it into production or not Smiley

I will have to make time to put some more on...

Regards
Simon
DrTom
Snr. Officer

Mad Psyentist

« Reply #210 on: January 07, 2009, 06:10:31 pm »

There is a patent on my website blog for a pepper spray cane

http://www.allgoodideas.co.uk/wordpress/?p=66

Yup, saw that one while I was researching its potential.  Though my design was slightly different (easier for a DIY to build), it has the same problems of range and height.
AllGoodIdeas
Deck Hand

« Reply #211 on: January 13, 2009, 04:19:04 pm »

Any more thoughts on the design?
DrTom
Snr. Officer

Mad Psyentist

« Reply #212 on: January 13, 2009, 07:06:48 pm »

Any more thoughts on the design?

Alas, not really.  I'm probably not going to go the pepper-spray cane route.  I'll likely find some other convenient yet unobtrusive way to dispense it.
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #213 on: January 14, 2009, 12:26:48 am »

Pepper spray is a definite no no in the UK, although Forbidden Planet did on their website have a mock Joker gas cane produced as part of the JLA Trophy Room range, but it was way up there in cost terms with the Weta rayguns.

Now a paint ball gun is another matter....
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #214 on: January 14, 2009, 02:17:09 pm »

Pepper spray vs paintballs?  Why choose, use both instead - paintballs containing 'pepper spray', aka, a commercially available product called, amusingly, Pepperballs.  Can't tell you how legal they are in the UK, but I'd guess not at all.  markf 

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
DrTom
Snr. Officer

Mad Psyentist

« Reply #215 on: January 14, 2009, 06:04:17 pm »

Pepper spray vs paintballs?  Why choose, use both instead - paintballs containing 'pepper spray', aka, a commercially available product called, amusingly, Pepperballs.  Can't tell you how legal they are in the UK, but I'd guess not at all.  markf 

Oh!!  Now that is a brilliant solution that would solve my cane problem!  Though pepper spray is largely legal in the US, restrictions apply state-by-state.  Arizona has no restrictions whatsoever on self-defense sprays "propelled by aerosol" or some similar wording (I'll have to look it up again).  However, it *may* have restrictions as pepperballs are not quite a spray.  Might be harder to hit someone in the face with it also...

Still, it's worth looking into the feasibility of constructing a pepperball cane.
elShoggotho
« Reply #216 on: January 14, 2009, 08:25:34 pm »

Pepperbox... ball... box... ball... cane... my brain hurts.  Huh
tenkarasu
Swab

« Reply #217 on: January 14, 2009, 10:40:22 pm »

Sword canes are cool, yes, but this goes along the line of musical instruments: I saw one in a book recently that was a violin.  You took off a piece and it became the bow, and another compartment housed the strings.  I don't know what it sounded like, but it was very pretty.  Also, I was thinking about the flute, and I thought of perhaps a digeridoo?  Maybe?  Dunno; I was thinking of building one with a guitar for a friend's brother, but I dunno how long that'd take or how much.  I know guitar strings are fairly cheap, but not a clue what to build the cane itself out of.  Even so, I like the idea of these things being used for more than one purpose. 

meredith: why look, mr. vandemaar - if it isn't government man, here from the government!
madeleine: why, yes; the government has sent him, mr. croup!
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #218 on: January 15, 2009, 04:00:18 am »

I've been looking for a slim riding crop that's not too long. I've seen a reference to a Victorian madam's (dominatrix's?) walking stick with with a riding crop hidden inside. I've got a couple friends who would be interested in something similar if I can make them.

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #219 on: January 20, 2009, 01:32:31 am »

I have just aquired a nice small kitchen blowtorch, which looks amenable to a bit of workfor a blowtorch cane. Should be legal.

MWBailey
« Reply #220 on: January 20, 2009, 02:09:15 am »

I want that FLUTE CANE from the first page Cry (LOL).

Seriously, though, how about...
  • air gun; pump it up in-line bicycle-pump style
  • very miniature wax cylinder gramophone
  • seat with backrest
  • first aid kit
  • wilderness survival kit

or, if all else fails, a compartment for a manual on the art of canefighting...
MWBailey
Mr Peter Harrow, Esq
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #221 on: March 16, 2009, 02:43:35 am »

My newest gadget stick incorporates a folding pick, mattock, spade and shovel. I took a folding metal detectorists tool from Maplin, stripped it down to bare steel, brass plated it, cut down the shaft and attached it to a modified cane shaft blank. With the pick head out and shovel head down you have a gadget stick suitable for a steampunk gentleman archaeologist or collector of bonsai or other plants in the wild. Stained rosewood, with a brass ferrule in is a further addition to my collection.
icyuod2
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #222 on: March 16, 2009, 11:43:32 am »

a couple months back, i happened upon a few canes/horse whips from a local carboot sale (garage sale for those of us on this side of the globe) i paid $20 for the 4 pieces and then he threw in the old air rifle for $10.

while there not much to look at and need a little tlc, most do carry a surprise inside. Wink

the wood/brass cane is just a cane, but i was rather impressed with the use of the brass from an old horse collar.
one horse whip hides a blade, the other a 4 sided spike. dull on all sides with an incredibly deadly point.

the last is my fav. its a 1940 co2 powered bengiman franklin air rifle (200 shot bb capacity) it uses the short early co2 carts.
i've included a pic of the air rifle that was used (thrown in for an extra $10)

what about a straight razor?  multiple uses, on those long walk abouts. ya never know when ya might meet a pretty lady or have to keep the scallywags at bay.

one last idea.  crappy stalker . its basically a telescopic fishing rod (no reel, more like a pocket fisher)

this ones 10' fully extended.

used as a fishing rod or not, it does open up a world of possibilities. a close friend uses his to knock the snow of his satellite. Tongue
« Last Edit: March 16, 2009, 12:45:17 pm by icyuod2 » Logged
Stanch
Officer

[Hollow Point]

« Reply #223 on: March 16, 2009, 07:07:18 pm »

I'm sorry, brother. But I feel obligated to ask: are all those wonderful pinball machines yours?

Take four red capsules, in ten minutes, take two more. Help is on the way.
icyuod2
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #224 on: March 16, 2009, 07:22:23 pm »

yeah, that's a small portion of my pin collection. all of which are old electromechanical.

which I'm sure would be a steampunkers delight when it comes to scoring parts for those wonderfull inventions. Smiley.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 18   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: