The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 03, 2020, 11:31:24 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Post Pictures of Your Home  (Read 58763 times)
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #100 on: April 08, 2008, 07:31:12 am »

What a difference light can make.... those pictures are awesome. Nice warm feel to them.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2008, 09:51:57 am »

Orlando, your fire place is wonderful.  Grin

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Thaif
Snr. Officer
Finland Finland

A Chaotic Good Deadpan Snarker.

« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2008, 11:11:24 am »

Most homey feel it has. Sad & envious I am for not having proper decorations in my own apartment.

Well, perhaps in time. Oh, and a spiffin' fireplace.

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away. -Henry David Thoreau

A Shameless Plug.
Doctor Trakov
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Admiral of the 14th Belogravian Airship Navy

« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2008, 06:00:32 pm »

hereaftermouse

Doctor Trakov

That is a lovely property.  When was it built ?
There is no magnolia in flower yet up in this wild northern place.

Orlando.

It was built in around 1910, I think. It is by no means the largest or grandest property on my street, and thankfully, most of the houses are pre-1920's and very large, built for the very rich of Hull.
Correus
« Reply #104 on: April 15, 2008, 04:16:02 pm »

Greetings fellow travelers of the Æther ~

Orlando has asked me to post a few pics of my house.  Here are some of the attic I am planning on “Steampunking”.  These should let you know what I have to work with.

There will be a hookah area, a library area, and a lounging area. 

I do have several items to go in here, but due to the remod most is in storage.  However, last Friday night I purchased an absolutely wonderful/comfortable leather wingback chair for the attic.  I really don't care for the color (Dk. Blue), but it is still a great find.

Here are some links if you'd like to see the whole story.

Attic 1

Attic 2

Attic 3

Let me know your thoughts and ideas.  I just hope I can live up to the standard set by
Vincent!
Orlando
« Reply #105 on: April 15, 2008, 04:50:05 pm »

Thanks Correus Mad Gadgeteer.

Lot of work in it - one of the pleasures of living in an older house, of course. Grin
If you'd like to post a few of the rest of the house, I'm sure they'd be most greatfully received.
It doesn't need to be Steampunk to appear here - we're "Off Topic"!

Orlando.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2008, 03:00:41 pm by Orlando » Logged
Mich
Officer

« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2008, 02:21:45 pm »

WOW! Everyone's pics a fab!
This is my downstairs ( which isn't at all Steamy), but I am going to make my office more so, and will post pics when it is done:
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #107 on: April 18, 2008, 09:11:15 pm »

Mad Gadgeteer, nice attic you have there (but its haunted by "orbs"  Wink ).

A small proper fire place would look great in there.  Grin

Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #108 on: April 22, 2008, 02:42:47 pm »

My appartment isn't the largest around so I try to keep it light, however I'd love to add more steam on the go.
I love pink  Grin

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

...and that is indeed a radio controlled Dalek Thay, yes  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008, 02:44:49 pm by Ampère Volt » Logged
Mr Greenwood
Gunner
South Africa South Africa

Pilot of the SAS Defamation

« Reply #109 on: April 22, 2008, 03:19:46 pm »

Hehe, spot the Harry Potter books.

The Golden Rule: Thou shalt haveth parts left over after reassembly.
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #110 on: April 22, 2008, 03:27:47 pm »

Ehm, yes I also have the LOTR books and HP and LOTR chess set, notice on the right the time-thingee from Hermione  Roll Eyes
On top of those are the three Philip Pullman books... you know from the Golden Compass movie.
There's some vintage telescope and binoculars in a leather case Tongue
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2008, 03:05:39 am »

Here you go... Quick pics..

Living Room:

Dining Room:

Master bedroom

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Orlando
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2008, 03:25:47 am »

I thought that naughty cat was going to have the TV over !

Oh Harold, you almost had me clapping my hands at the monitor to scare him/her off.  Wink

Orlando.
JingleJoe
Zeppelin Overlord

The Green Dungeon Alchemist

« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2008, 03:23:12 pm »

After seeing all your houses I just can't wait to move out of this place!
I need a job first though, anyone hiring a mad scientist to build you mad things for your houses for money?

Green Dungeon Alchemist Laboratories
Providing weird sound contraptions and time machines since 2064.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2008, 04:40:40 pm »

I thought that naughty cat was going to have the TV over !

Oh Harold, you almost had me clapping my hands at the monitor to scare him/her off.  Wink

Orlando.

The TV is anchored , and Luna has been gently discouraged from standing on it.  With 3 cats in residnece, its hard to get a photo that doesn;t have a cat in it..

Cheers
Harold
Orlando
« Reply #115 on: May 07, 2008, 04:27:03 am »

The TV is anchored , and Luna has been gently discouraged from standing on it.  With 3 cats in residnece, its hard to get a photo that doesn;t have a cat in it..

From James Boswell's, Life of (Samuel) Johnson,

I never shall forget the indulgence with which he treated Hodge, his cat: for whom he himself used to go out and buy oysters, lest the servants having that trouble should take a dislike to the poor creature. I am, unluckily, one of those who have an antipathy to a cat, so that I am uneasy when in the room with one; and I own, I frequently suffered a good deal from the presence of this same Hodge. I recollect him one day scrambling up Dr. Johnson's breast, apparently with much satisfaction, while my friend smiling and half-whistling, rubbed down his back, and pulled him by the tail; and when I observed he was a fine cat, saying,
'Why yes, Sir, but I have had cats whom I liked better than this;'
and then as if perceiving Hodge to be out of countenance, adding,
'but he is a very fine cat, a very fine cat indeed.'

This reminds me of the ludicrous account which he gave Mr. Langton, of the despicable state of a young Gentleman of good family.
'Sir, when I heard of him last, he was running about town shooting cats.'
And then in a sort of kindly reverie, he bethought himself of his own favourite cat, and said,
'But Hodge shan't be shot; no, no, Hodge shall not be shot.'

It's all very tasteful, Harold, and I think that's the nicest computer desk I've ever seen (I'm assuming that is a keyboard drawer).

I was looking through some very early posts on the Forum recently, and I came across your comments to a gentleman who had given himself "arc-eye" while welding because he was a little the worse for the drink and you told him that it would have been grounds for dismissal (on the railways, I should think).  Now then, a friend of mine was a fireman in the last days of steam in Britain and he tells me stories about those days....

When he first started on the railways, he was with a driver hauling freight (a goods train) and they stopped for water and signal box messages somewhere and Bill left the cab to do his job.  He comes back, they set off again, and Bill gets a sweat on shovelling the black stuff.
As soon as Bill gets back in his seat, the driver lifts the lid on the toolbox between the seats and lifts out a pint of beer in a pub glass.
He says to Bill, "There's one in there for you , son."
Bill: "Where did that come from ?"
Driver: "The boozer next to the signal box.  You know when I tooted the cock-crow when we were approaching - that's the signal for the landlady - she doesn't hang around though so we put the money in the empty glasses and then when the train goes back the next driver will do the same - swap empty glasses for full ones."

Orlando.
Great Bizarro
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #116 on: May 07, 2008, 10:59:04 pm »

I gots me a house boat

"No matter where you go, there you are"
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2008, 08:35:24 pm »

With a roof terras no less!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #118 on: May 09, 2008, 01:35:16 am »

It's all very tasteful, Harold, and I think that's the nicest computer desk I've ever seen (I'm assuming that is a keyboard drawer).

Orlando.

Thanks, that is indeed a keyboard drawer.. The space on the left was made for a tower style PC, but now holds a subwoofer and my networing gear (router, cable modem), as well as the AC mains power distribution bars.
 The desk itself is solid oak, and was built at the same time we had the rest of the wood furniture in the house built. At the time we were looking for furniture, we couldn't find anything we liked, but came across a fellow who had a cabinetmakers shop. It ended up being far better quality, hand made, good heavy oak, and in the ned was actually cheaper than the big-box retail stores.

Love the story,  I've heard a few similar. Those were the days, for sure. Only thing I have ever found a bit odd (at least to my eye) is why, in the days of steam, British locos didn't really have large headlamps, as we did here in NA, but only those small oil lamps,  used as train-type or route indicator markers. Must have been a bit hard for the drivers at night, to say the least.

Cheers
Harold
Professor Fzz
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #119 on: May 09, 2008, 02:30:00 am »

Only thing I have ever found a bit odd (at least to my eye) is why, in the days of steam, British locos didn't really have large headlamps, as we did here in NA, but only those small oil lamps,  used as train-type or route indicator markers. Must have been a bit hard for the drivers at night, to say the least.

I've always assumed it was because it's much less wild here, so it's unlikely anything large enough to be seen from a speeding train in time to stop would actually get on the track in the first place.  Unless it's another train.  And then you're more likely to see the signal light or the tail light of another train if you don't have a bright light spoiling your night vision.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something. -  Thomas H. Huxley
Gwendolyn
Gunner

Philosophical Adventurer

« Reply #120 on: May 09, 2008, 02:34:47 am »

I am in that strange stage of life when there is a bit of question as to where "home" is. However:

Here is a bit of the house I grew up in and which I am still an occasional resident of, during one of my costume-making sessions.

Here I am in my "room" in New York, where I attended secondary school. That yellow thing you can see on the right-hand side is the edge of a privacy screen I built out of old closet doors, which separated my futon from the rest of the strange yet charming room that served as a den, hallway, study, bedroom and dining room.

And here is my dorm room, which is nice enough but which I will be thankful to move out of. Next year, and hopefully for the rest of my studies, I will be living in a non-university flat with friends.

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #121 on: May 09, 2008, 02:41:34 am »

Only thing I have ever found a bit odd (at least to my eye) is why, in the days of steam, British locos didn't really have large headlamps, as we did here in NA, but only those small oil lamps,  used as train-type or route indicator markers. Must have been a bit hard for the drivers at night, to say the least.

I've always assumed it was because it's much less wild here, so it's unlikely anything large enough to be seen from a speeding train in time to stop would actually get on the track in the first place.  Unless it's another train.  And then you're more likely to see the signal light or the tail light of another train if you don't have a bright light spoiling your night vision.

That make's sense. There are stretches out here where I wouldn't want to run without lots of light out front(our current locos have a dual beam headlight, and two spotlights mounted lower down, on either side of the frame, these are called ditch lights). These throw a pretty good beam. As far as wild, well,  I know that hitting a moose (it happens) can ruin your day at work, as it were...

Cheers
Harold
Orlando
« Reply #122 on: May 09, 2008, 04:30:01 am »

And here is my dorm room, which is nice enough but which I will be thankful to move out of. Next year, and hopefully for the rest of my studies, I will be living in a non-university flat with friends.

Welcome Ma'am,

I see from your post in the Introduce Yourself thread that you are studying in Edinburgh and struggling with Scottish accents,
so here's an old Scottish joke....

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney ?

Orlando.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 04:34:37 am by Orlando » Logged
greenguzzi
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #123 on: May 09, 2008, 04:52:28 am »

Boom boom!

(groan!)
Gwendolyn
Gunner

Philosophical Adventurer

« Reply #124 on: May 09, 2008, 07:17:33 am »

Welcome Ma'am,

I see from your post in the Introduce Yourself thread that you are studying in Edinburgh and struggling with Scottish accents,
so here's an old Scottish joke....

What's the difference between Bing Crosby and Walt Disney ?

Orlando.

Ahh, that was brilliant.  Grin
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: