The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
March 04, 2021, 04:55:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steamgoth?  (Read 17867 times)
MonsieurBaggyTrousers
Gunner
United States United States

Conceiver of the Ill-Conceived

« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2008, 01:13:03 pm »

It's certainly been talked about; however, I'm of the opinion that Steampunk neatly incorporates the horrific and the tragic (mad scientists and poets with TB aplenty!) and as such no such variant as "Steamgoth" is necessary.

I'm a fag, I'm a Jew, how do you do?
That's Mr. Anarchist to you!
You think your scene's dead?
 Mine got killed by some dimwit's triumph of the will!
AlexanderTheArcane
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Mage for hire: Demons excorcised. Shit blown up.

« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2008, 02:17:08 pm »

Dear sir Baggy, I began typing a polite rebuttal, but then I realized; no, there's not much difference, is there?

I was going to say that steamgoth uses a greater amount of materials in the vein of vinyl and etcetra, whereas vinyl generally isn't very steamy by our perspective, but why not? If someone who considers herself steamgoth can pull it off, why not us, right?

It just seems to me that, if anything, steamgoth is steampunk, but with, of course, black as a central colour theme. I'm not trying to minimalize steamgoth, of course not, and God knows there have been Victorian Goths for ages.

"I'll show you a wonder!" - Walter O'Dim
Chief Engineer of The Aurelia
theMadTinker
Snr. Officer

Why do they always obfuscate the screws?

« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2008, 09:20:53 pm »

The beauty of steampunk to me is that it's rather nebulous and can't be cornered so easily as other subcultures have been in the past.  You've got folks like HAC (hope you don't mind me puttin g a few words in your mouth, good sir) or my father (who I suppose is vaguely aware of steampunk, but fits the label without doing anything different than he normally does) to whom the label is just something to put on their lives without altering much in the way of their behavior alongside people who are coming over to the subculture from other places.  There's also just such a variety of steampunks, pretty much there are as many variations of steampunk as there are people who use the label for themselves; tinkerers, writers, people interested in the fashion, anything else you could possibly imagine.  Or, to condense all this, yes, there is such a thing as steamgoth, just like there is victoriental steampunk, steamdustrial (did I just make that one up?  I think I did...), steam lolita, you-get-the-point-punk.

I came to steampunk, as I think I have said before, from goth/industrial, but I've always been a steampunk in my heart, I just didn't have the vocabulary previously.  That said, I still apply a bit of industrial fashion in my day-to-day, I usually have an OD military shirt and steel-toed boots, but I've also got my trusty UK and topper, and I'm just as prepared as the next man to throw on the goggles, especially in the name of breaking sh--I mean science.

It's not a skirt, it's a kilt; and ye ken why it's called a kilt?  Because I kilt everyone who called it a skirt.

You won't get far trying to argue semantics with an English major.

The Urban Phantasy Blog
lilibat
Rogue Ætherlord

gamer geek goth girl

lilibat
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2008, 10:09:54 pm »

I primarily self identify as a goth ,(and a gamer but that's a different issue), I most likely always will. I say Steamgoth because my Steampunk attire is also perfectly goth as well. It's not separate, it's more just sort of a different flavour, one that tends towards black rather than brown and includes some traditional gothic elements like bats... for instance.

Albrecht
Zeppelin Captain
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2008, 10:00:26 am »

I'm a cybersteamgoth. So at least one of those abominations exists. And I'm feeling quite well. Grin

Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2008, 12:10:00 pm »

Surely steamgoth is essentially the same as romantic goth? The transition from steampunk to romatic goth is a smooth one, though... while I don't personally feel the need to label any intermediate stage (as I'm not sure I see one), your view may differ.
InsanityBites
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 01:19:27 pm »

I don't see an intermediate stage, either, though I'm fairly sure romatic goth wouldn't involve gears or goggles.
Zastrozzi
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 01:49:53 pm »

For some reason I always associate the 'Steamgoth' idea with Old West Steampunk of the dust-and-death variety. 

(Wanders off humming...)  #moonchild.. lower me down...#
Miss Bismuth
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2008, 03:29:31 pm »

Greetings just a newbie here, but I do have years of experience in the Goth scene. Goth has to do with music and many clubs have merged industrial and goth music styles together. Before it was called goth, it was punk or deathrock.  The "Goth Scene" has many flavors, the Neo-Victorians, gypsies, rivet heads, fetishists, gutter punk and medieval to name a few. Have seen plenty of goggles, ala Mad Max and Burning Man helped popularize that look, at least in California. So I think that steampunk can be another style for many goths to adapt.

Might Van Helsing be a merging of the two genres?
arcane
Snr. Officer

Steamcrunk. WHAT?

« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2008, 03:43:54 pm »

Sounds sort of Fields of The Nephilim-y

Zastrozzi
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2008, 03:57:07 pm »

Sounds sort of Fields of The Nephilim-y

Now THAT'S what I'm talking about.
dr490nw4rri0r
Officer
Canada Canada

Are we evolving? No. We're starting to learn again

« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2008, 10:11:31 pm »

XD I love their look, but Fields of the nephilim is overrated. their music is kind of drawn out and boring.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
David Godfrey Esq.
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Its probably best not to ask really...

« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 12:04:01 am »

I suppose it depends on the particular steampunk look you're going for. Plonk a Victorian Goth in a study with Von Slatt's computer equipment, and you'll pretty much turn them into a steamgoth. Those influenced by the wild-west style certainly seem to fit into the fashion judging by the Fields of the Neph photo.

I like to think of the steamier end of steampunk (the "Airship mechanic" outfits spring to mind) being what you wear "on the job" as it where, whereas the Victorian/Romantic Goth look is what you might wear if you were at the Reform Club with Phineas Fogg.

Alternatively many other aspects of goth fashion (cybers and fetishists perhaps) would lend themselves nicely to the post-apocalyptic variant of steampunk.

Reunite Gondwanaland!
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 02:04:40 am »

This is in no way intended as a slight slight to anyone, and I apologize in advance if anyone takes it as such, but the thread title makes me think of Miss Cinnamon's 'LOLGoth" thread -

I imagine a "motivational" poster - "I say, old man, I am so SteamGoth that my morning constitutional consists solely of brass clockwork bats..."

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
chironex
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

The typing jellyfish monster

« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2008, 04:02:05 am »

Steamgoth?

You mean,

like this?

Or this?

Edit: I'm not quite happy with Deneghras hat, in any version of the figure, but...

Orkses is never beaten in battle. If we wins we wins and if we dies we dies fightin' so it don't count as beat. Even if we runs away it means we can always come back for anuvver go, see!

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!
Zastrozzi
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2008, 12:41:39 pm »

XD I love their look, but Fields of the nephilim is overrated. their music is kind of drawn out and boring.

You do need to be in the right mood for it, that's for sure.  They produced one or two gems in their time, and they have to be thanked for getting me into Dead Can Dance...
BaronessAgustinaBrock
Gunner

« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2008, 07:42:09 am »

Personally, I think that Steampunk and Goth (as I believe may people meant to say already) are umbrella terms. I came to Steampunk from Gothic Lolita. Gothic Lolita too, has many different categories, and I certainly do not believe it to be true that Marie Antoinette or Alice are icons of the fashion. Sweet Lolita, I agree is deeply rooted within the aesthetics of Rococo, but Gothic Lolita is a lot darker dwelling within the realm of the Victorian. Therefore, such allegations about Lolita, would be quite eronious, in my opinion. My point is, however, that all these subcultures are extremely versatile.

Steamgoth? Definitely possible, I would probably consider myself as such. My outfits are on the darker side of the Steampunk spectrum. This of course, is mostly due to the fact, that I choose to wear black clothes, and vinyl. As Miss Lilibat stated, a Steampunk outfit such as her, which I've seen and loved, is still legitamely Goth and Steampunk as well. Goth and Steampunk are not irreconcilable, they can blend together perfectly well, without losing the essence of either subculture. To me, it does not make sense to claim that Steamgoth is not possible, because the cultures most certainly do converge. There can not be true Goth without Victorian elegance and grace, just as Steampunk could not be witout the same.

As a side note, Steampunk Lolita, haha is definitely possible, and I myself have been working on an outfit, which I hope to finish soon.
Flynn MacCallister
Zeppelin Overlord
Australia Australia

Mad SCIENTIST!

« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2008, 08:17:40 am »

I don't see an intermediate stage, either, though I'm fairly sure romatic goth wouldn't involve gears or goggles.

Aye, and my feeling is that as soon as you take romantic goth and add gears or goggles, you have slipped into steampunk... *shrugs*

Steamgoth?

You mean,

like this?

Or this?

Edit: I'm not quite happy with Deneghras hat, in any version of the figure, but...

Eew, Cryx....

Long live the King!
cybele13
Snr. Officer

« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2008, 04:02:42 pm »

Aye, and my feeling is that as soon as you take romantic goth and add gears or goggles, you have slipped into steampunk... *shrugs*

I think you only have to replace the black and jewel-tones with earthy colors and you can make the transition. I'm a long-time goth and think I bridge the tiny gap to steampunk quite well.

I personally enjoy the SP aesthetic, but I don't believe gears, goggles, and rayguns work for me, so I don't employ them.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!"  ~ Theodore Roosevelt
Capt. Michael Bedlam
Snr. Officer

Captain of the SS Morpheus

« Reply #44 on: May 12, 2008, 04:19:01 pm »

Speaking as someone who was not goth before joining Steampunk, I fully believe that Steamgoth is possible.  Indeed, I myself was more influenced in my attempted look by Dracula and the Lovecraft mythos than by Wells or Verne.  It seems that the best way to accomplish it is by dressing Vicky, but with only black and white colours.  And a little bit of red.

Also, I feel like the Steamgoths should be descended from a tribe of German barbarians.  Ok, I'll stop.

Carpe Deim
MonsieurBaggyTrousers
Gunner

« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2008, 04:23:18 pm »

So would <a href="http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/6111/kaiserwilhelmep0.jpg">this gent</a> be considered a Steamgoth, sir?
Capt. Michael Bedlam
Snr. Officer

Captain of the SS Morpheus

« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2008, 04:25:44 pm »

So would <a href="http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/6111/kaiserwilhelmep0.jpg">this gent</a> be considered a Steamgoth, sir?

Of course.  He has a large coat, a huge belt, spikes, and several chainlike objects.  Not to mention the scowl on his face...
MonsieurBaggyTrousers
Gunner

« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2008, 04:32:41 pm »

Not to mention that, as the Kaiser of Germany, he was quite a Prussian bad-ass.
AlexanderTheArcane
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

Mage for hire: Demons excorcised. Shit blown up.

« Reply #48 on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:11 pm »

Speaking as someone who was not goth before joining Steampunk, I fully believe that Steamgoth is possible.  Indeed, I myself was more influenced in my attempted look by Dracula and the Lovecraft mythos than by Wells or Verne.  It seems that the best way to accomplish it is by dressing Vicky, but with only black and white colours.  And a little bit of red.

Also, I feel like the Steamgoths should be descended from a tribe of German barbarians.  Ok, I'll stop.

I can see it now. Gear-axes a-la Warhammer 40K, the "bear-pelt-and-goggles" look, roasting dripping haunches of air-kraken over a blazing fire... quaffing...

GODDAMN. WE NEED SOME STEAMBARIANS.
Clockwerk Wolf
Snr. Officer

He's a right looney, that one...

« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2008, 11:27:32 am »

I can see it now. Gear-axes a-la Warhammer 40K, the "bear-pelt-and-goggles" look, roasting dripping haunches of air-kraken over a blazing fire... quaffing...

GODDAMN. WE NEED SOME STEAMBARIANS.

Sign me up sir! Just let me grab my broadsword and steam-powered automatic crossbow and by Crom we'll be drinking from Stygian skulls by nightfall!!!

I'm a Robert E. Howard fan. Can't you tell?  Grin
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:29:53 am by Clockwerk Wolf » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: