The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 13, 2020, 02:20:05 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk'ed - Quest for an Improved Outfit  (Read 35040 times)
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2008, 09:56:31 am »

Awesome job so far...

Thanks Smiley

About the goggles, I have an old pair of motorcycle riding goggles that look like that, that I'm gonna be using, So great find.

Hmmm, agreed, good sir. I was quite happy to have found them, esspecially for the price they were.

About a gun, I'm gonna go a bit far out, and say to go to disney, or someplace with those wooden guns...and re-make it...(I'll be doind that to one.)

Like this:

I will keep it in mind...But I do think the mailman will hand me a solution sometime soon Grin

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2008, 06:41:34 pm »

Here we, that is to say, I at the very least, are or am again! Feast your eyes upon the lovely brass goggle frames I have as of today:

I will leave them as they are for the moment. Not only do I need to pilfer some leather, dark brown or black, for the straps, my gazing upon them may reveal to me a way to make them more unique and more Steampunk. Suggestions are very much welcome.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #77 on: November 06, 2008, 07:07:31 pm »

Long time, no see, good old topic...But, well, here we are again with a fresh, tangible and meaningfull update Smiley

First some overview photos, with, amongst other things my new pants, then I shall divulge some details, thoughts and other musings Smiley

Well then, on to the details, thoughts and other musings...First of all, to kick in an open door, I'm not done just yet. First and foremost, I am not satisfied yet. I need, or at the very least could use, more 'greeble'. More little knick-knacks, gadgets, that sort of thing. Most of all, I still need to finish the goggles from the previous post.

But, that what is 'griefing' me the most at the moment, are my gaiters:

I do not think they are not nice. I got them with the help of Kogwheal and I do not regret that one bit. It is just that they are a pain to put on...and I am not even sure I am wearing them correctly Huh Is there someone out there who knows these better than I and could tell me if I laced them correctly?

Right then, other thoughts and musings...I like my hat and I will like it even more once I am done; I am going to add a leather band with one of these attached:

Seems rather apropiate to me Wink

One of the major new components I have added, is the blunderbuss, of course Smiley I will modify it, at the very least, so it has a strap; makes carrying it around a lot easier Wink

And, well, beyond that, I will see what I come across Smiley
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #78 on: November 06, 2008, 07:39:11 pm »

Dude! It's eerie how much your style matches my personal ideas for a SP outfit.. Seriously, quit reading my mind and stealing all my ideas! Tongue

*puts on tin-foil hat to block the mind rays*

Grin

good show though.. Just a few weeks ago i was thinking about going to a second hand shop and get a long leather coat and cut off the sleeves! I still want to do that.. and rig up a DIY tattoo gun to write some random stuff on the leather (either that or use a soldering iron to do the writing)

Good thing I'm working ona whole 'nother bunch of ideas, and those should be save as long as I keep wearing my tin-foil hat Tongue
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #79 on: November 06, 2008, 07:51:47 pm »

Well, great minds do think alike, good sir Wink I can assure you that I have not been reading your mind...Though I am sure it would make for interesting literature Wink

Thanks for the compliment, by-the-by Smiley I quite like where I am going with this Cheesy
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #80 on: November 06, 2008, 07:55:18 pm »

Thanks for the compliment, by-the-by Smiley I quite like where I am going with this Cheesy

Yup, it's a great style... and I should know!! Grin
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #81 on: November 06, 2008, 08:10:57 pm »

Well, since it apparently resembles yours, yes, you should know Wink Now you are in the Netherlands, I may be able to see it sometime in real-life Smiley
Silas P. Morgan
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #82 on: November 06, 2008, 10:13:12 pm »

At WWII Impressions, they show a way of lacing up gaiters/leggings... I lace mine almost the same way.. just without the twist over the hook...
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/images/armymenslegging1.JPG

Outta fairness... here is their home page (This is the company that I bought my reproduction boots from....)
http://www.wwiiimpressions.com/index.asp
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #83 on: November 06, 2008, 10:19:46 pm »

An interesting way of lacing them...'Tis rather unfortunate that I do not think this will work for mine Wink
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #84 on: November 06, 2008, 10:38:01 pm »

Here we, that is to say, I at the very least, are or am again!

Whoa...
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #85 on: November 06, 2008, 11:02:31 pm »

Heh. Allright, point made. But, well, I tend to repeat such things, as you can clearly see Wink

Oh, and to be a bit more meaningfull in this post...Who feels I should return to wearing the fur lined coat from the first post? I am not quite sure, myself. The lack of sleeves will make it easier to have some 'bracers' with gadgets in them, but the other coat may look nicer...
« Last Edit: November 07, 2008, 11:23:58 am by Torvald_Faust » Logged
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2009, 02:00:56 pm »

Started long ago, my first pair of goggles are finally done Grin

I know, good folks, it is about time Wink

As I do believe I have stated before, these are based on the almost ubiquitous Swiss army goggles. Once meant to be used in (sub)arctic conditions, they shall now adorn my head Grin

Materials that were used...
The strap that goes around the back of my head is real leather, which I cut myself. There are two brass or copper (not quite sure) D rings and two metal...'things' to fasten the D rings to the leather strap. Then there is the brown elastic band to connect the strap and the eyecups. Not quite 'period correct', but damn handy, ladies and gentlemen Wink The glasses and the padding of the eye cups are of the original pair; unmodified. Lastly, the eye cups themselves are in fact the original ones, with the paint removed.

Most of the above can be surmised from my previous posts and/or the photonic recordings, but I figured I would surmise it all for you Smiley

Any comments or critiques? I would love to hear them Smiley

At any rate, next up is probably a small addition to my hat Smiley

To close off this post, a few extra photonic recordings, of the munition used as props in this 'goggle shoot':

Der Tinkermann
Zeppelin Captain
Netherlands Netherlands

keeper of scapegoats,sitting ducks,and black sheep

brosiman
« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2009, 02:35:27 pm »

Very nicely made!I'm sure they look very good on you(photo's?  Wink ) .
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2009, 02:39:58 pm »

Very nicely made!

Thank you Smiley I am proud to say that I did 90 percent of it - the last 10 percent is for my mother, who did the sewing for the side straps with her sewing machine. That left the sewing for the nose bridge; I have done that part by hand.

I'm sure they look very good on you(photo's?  Wink ) .

I forgot to mention that bit...Yes, photonic recordings of me with them will follow posthaste. Simply not quite sure when Wink
Nex
Snr. Officer
Scotland Scotland

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2009, 02:58:17 pm »

I love them. Actually I recently ordered a pair of "swiss goggles" that look very similar to yours pre-paint removal, so it'll be interesting to see if they are the same.

About the elastic fabric you've used it is most certainly period correct.
In 1820, Thomas Hancock patented elastic fastenings for gloves, suspenders, shoes and stockings.
I think it's safe to say that even if you were being a die hard traditionalist you could accept that. Cheesy

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2009, 03:04:06 pm »

I love them.

Thanks Grin I am sure the goggles do not mind more than one admirer Cheesy

Actually I recently ordered a pair of "swiss goggles" that look very similar to yours pre-paint removal, so it'll be interesting to see if they are the same.

Once you have them, I would suggest trying to remove a small speck of paint somewhere on the inside of the eyecups; then you can see what they are made out of, without ruining it Smiley

About the elastic fabric you've used it is most certainly period correct.
In 1820, Thomas Hancock patented elastic fastenings for gloves, suspenders, shoes and stockings.
I think it's safe to say that even if you were being a die hard traditionalist you could accept that. Cheesy

Well, what do you know...What a nice bonus Grin Wink
Paul 8v
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2009, 12:05:31 am »

Sir, where did you get that wonderfull blunderbuss from? Nothing quite says bang like a blunderbuss! Outfit's looking really good by the way
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2009, 12:18:59 am »

Sir, where did you get that wonderfull blunderbuss from? Nothing quite says bang like a blunderbuss!

I am afraid I do not know where it comes from originally, good sir. I got this one from Marktplaats.nl; a Dutch version of eBay, of sorts Smiley

Outfit's looking really good by the way

Thank you Smiley I think I will agree - in my humble eyes it is coming along swimmingly Grin
silastic armor fiend
Snr. Officer

mercenary, privateer and part-time tinkerer

« Reply #93 on: February 12, 2009, 10:10:06 pm »

hey i just wanted to say that your outfit looks really good. i was also wondering if you would mind if i made a vest like the one you have pictured here. i dont need you to send me anything, it can be made with an existing vest. i just thought it would be best to get your permission (or rather your mothers  Wink)

in this town of sleepy hollow, smiling like you do
in this town of sleepy hollow, could be me and you
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #94 on: February 13, 2009, 08:11:10 am »

hey i just wanted to say that your outfit looks really good.

Thank you Smiley

i was also wondering if you would mind if i made a vest like the one you have pictured here. i dont need you to send me anything, it can be made with an existing vest. i just thought it would be best to get your permission (or rather your mothers  Wink)

I can not deny you permission - that would just be silly, as I myself 'borrowed' the design heavily from the movie "Eragon" Wink But thanks for asking and good luck creating it Smiley
silastic armor fiend
Snr. Officer

mercenary, privateer and part-time tinkerer

« Reply #95 on: February 13, 2009, 09:18:52 pm »

I can not deny you permission - that would just be silly, as I myself 'borrowed' the design heavily from the movie "Eragon" Wink But thanks for asking and good luck creating it Smiley

thanks a lot. i dont plan on making it exactly the same, im just kinda using it as an idea.
kommander
Officer

« Reply #96 on: February 14, 2009, 11:15:44 am »

You outfit is coming along quite nicely. Did you ever manage to work out your gaiter problems? From what I could see it looks like you were stuffing too much pant leg down into them.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #97 on: February 15, 2009, 02:50:27 pm »

thanks a lot. i dont plan on making it exactly the same, im just kinda using it as an idea.

You're welcome Smiley Please keep me posted - but not in this thread Wink

You outfit is coming along quite nicely.

Thank you Smiley The next few additions will probably be (minor) details, such as an extra leather band for my hat Smiley

Did you ever manage to work out your gaiter problems? From what I could see it looks like you were stuffing too much pant leg down into them.

I didn't/don't see that as a problem and, actually, my gaiters are behaving as I want 'em to Smiley
Doctor Whom
Deck Hand
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #98 on: February 16, 2009, 06:00:32 pm »

I had a thought about your gaiters, for ease-of-wear. You could lace them up to fit as you want them, then unpick the opposite seam and sew in a zip. You could then fly-front the zip to conceal it if you wanted, though if you used a shiny brass zip you might not even need to bother hiding it!
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #99 on: February 16, 2009, 06:03:41 pm »

That's...actually pretty smart, sir Grin I'll give it some thought Smiley
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: