The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 06, 2020, 12:49:55 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk'ed - Quest for an Improved Outfit  (Read 35027 times)
buffpixie
Officer

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2008, 11:30:01 pm »

And on related matters, does anyone have the patterns for gloves? Seems it should be harder than just some fabric and twice the shape of a hand...

try this: http://www.glove.org/myfirstgloves.php
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2008, 11:33:09 pm »

Seems like a good source Smiley Thanks!

Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #52 on: March 31, 2008, 12:48:30 am »

My name is Manon and I haven't been to any larps recently, I've quit the high fantasy settings, is really not for me. Just active at Lextalionis a Vampire Live organized by Evolution Events.
In the past years I have been to Vortex, Summoning, lots of larps organized by Cauldron... and Lextalionis where I get to act out my straight faced stiff upperlip Victorianesque alter-ego, lol. It's hard to not laugh when you're scaring the bejeebus out of fledglings who think the world of themselves  Grin I have been conversing with an acquintance about Steampunk like larp he was going to start-up. This has been at least a year ago, and I'm getting the bright idea of setting up day events myself with some help. It's not something to attempt alone, so not by myself  Cheesy I'm playing with the idea of murder mystery's. I absolutely think Hercule Poirot is fabulous and some stories happen in a confined space, which lead me to believe this is feasable.

I have a lot of patterns for men and women, no gloves though. They can be quite tricky, I tend to get nice leather gloves when their at sale at the local leather shop or when visiting a Horse related fair.

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #53 on: March 31, 2008, 08:25:59 am »

My name is Manon and I haven't been to any larps recently, I've quit the high fantasy settings, is really not for me. Just active at Lextalionis a Vampire Live organized by Evolution Events.

'Manon' rings a small bell...And, Lextalionis, eh? If you've been to the last one, you probably have seen me there; I was one of the NPC Ghouls for most of the event Smiley

In the past years I have been to Vortex, Summoning, lots of larps organized by Cauldron... and Lextalionis where I get to act out my straight faced stiff upperlip Victorianesque alter-ego, lol. It's hard to not laugh when you're scaring the bejeebus out of fledglings who think the world of themselves  Grin

Haven't been to any of those, so if we do know each other's face, it must've been Lex Smiley As for not laughing, as it doesn't fit with certain characters...I've been there Wink It's indeed hard Cheesy

I have been conversing with an acquintance about Steampunk like larp he was going to start-up. This has been at least a year ago, and I'm getting the bright idea of setting up day events myself with some help. It's not something to attempt alone, so not by myself  Cheesy I'm playing with the idea of murder mystery's. I absolutely think Hercule Poirot is fabulous and some stories happen in a confined space, which lead me to believe this is feasable.

Seems Steampunk LARPs are spreading...I know of atleast two other groups of people who are planning one Grin

I have a lot of patterns for men and women, no gloves though. They can be quite tricky, I tend to get nice leather gloves when their at sale at the local leather shop or when visiting a Horse related fair.

Hollar if you find any red leather gloves Wink That's what I need right now, for a mostly un-Steampunk reason...
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #54 on: March 31, 2008, 08:37:40 am »

You'll find me in the Dramatis Personae, look for Isobel Fraser Lovat Grin I do have some red faux leather I'm not using you can have, it's about a meter (if I can locate it in my stash).
I wasn't there last 2 times, last year I took my shop to a Horse & Carriage fair and this year life got in the way Wink But I'm intending on being there the next time, all spruced up.
My friend, Jenni, who plays Regina Hvidt will hopefully come next time as well.

I need a ghoul, when being interim Elysium Keeper I got assigned two of them, which was great fun. It's so much fun telling people what to do  Grin
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #55 on: March 31, 2008, 08:52:27 am »

You'll find me in the Dramatis Personae, look for Isobel Fraser Lovat Grin

Found you Smiley

I do have some red faux leather I'm not using you can have, it's about a meter (if I can locate it in my stash).

Though I'll gladly accept it, as I can always use more stuff, I already have some red faux leather Smiley

I wasn't there last 2 times, last year I took my shop to a Horse & Carriage fair and this year life got in the way Wink But I'm intending on being there the next time, all spruced up.

Hmmm...Well, maybe I just have a face that people easily think they've seen before Wink

My friend, Jenni, who plays Regina Hvidt will hopefully come next time as well.

The more, the merrier. Though 'merrier' may not apply to Vampires Wink

I need a ghoul, when being interim Elysium Keeper I got assigned two of them, which was great fun. It's so much fun telling people what to do  Grin

Heh, I can imagin Grin Perhaps I'll get a taste of that next time Smiley
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #56 on: March 31, 2008, 08:59:37 am »

Hehehe  Grin Jenni has been there before, she's Regina Hvidt in the dramatis personae and a close friend of the Prince  Wink

My love is flying over in May and we'll work on a character for him, then contact Sna or Rénee and get the ball rolling!
So who's ghoul have you been? Were you security, house hold management or other?  Grin

You are building a proper character for next event? Fun!

Oooh Steamy larps, you will keep me posted right!  Tongue
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #57 on: March 31, 2008, 09:09:38 am »

Hehehe  Grin Jenni has been there before, she's Regina Hvidt in the dramatis personae and a close friend of the Prince  Wink

Yeah, saw her, too Smiley The Prince is a nice piece of work...

My love is flying over in May and we'll work on a character for him, then contact Sna or Rénee and get the ball rolling!

Fun Smiley Any idea who and what he'll be?

So who's ghoul have you been? Were you security, house hold management or other?  Grin

Officially house hold management, IT department; IC I had made available all the network infrastructure Smiley As the event progressed, it went to 'other' Wink

You are building a proper character for next event? Fun!

Yes and no. I'll probably be a NPC again, but Sna told me that I could write a character, which I've done and I may be able to play him Smiley

Oooh Steamy larps, you will keep me posted right!  Tongue

The first group of people is me, plus a few friends Smiley Ofcourse I'll keep people posted Wink You can keep yourself posted about the second group here Smiley
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #58 on: March 31, 2008, 10:13:00 am »

Hahaha, ja Olga is fun as the Prince. I was being a bit silly one night and did a persiflage (what's the English for that one Tongue ) of the Prince and her close following in the OC room. I call her the winding down doll  Cheesy Apparently it was quite striking since I was asked to do it several times after, lol.

Put the link into my faves.

He'll be awesome, we have had some ideas he's got some experience so with a good written up background for the SL to sink their teeth in so to say Tongue I can already see the smirk on Sna's face and the wringing of hands  Wink we'll give him some information to play with. I like long extensive backgrounds and basically I know that Sna will grand you anything he knows you can pull off.

That's enough information, hehehe  Lips sealed

I heard there was a lot of action last time, guess that means making myself a Victorian 1890's or early Edwardian active outfit I can actually move in  Cheesy well as long as the Elydium isn't a ball of course, that would be completely inappropiate. Have a lovely Nerf shotgun that needs modding. I've been seriously planning a hunting outfit, it's the spats that'll take most of the effort, I do have the cutest buttons. You should check out http://www.grootmoedersknoopendoos.nl/

So tell me more about your character  Cheesy
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #59 on: March 31, 2008, 10:32:20 am »

Hahaha, ja Olga is fun as the Prince. I was being a bit silly one night and did a persiflage (what's the English for that one Tongue ) of the Prince and her close following in the OC room. I call her the winding down doll  Cheesy Apparently it was quite striking since I was asked to do it several times after, lol.

That would be 'imitation' Wink You gotta show it to me, sometime Cheesy

'S odd, talking like this, half a interweb away from where I usually discuss Exodus and Lextalionis Wink

He'll be awesome, we have had some ideas he's got some experience so with a good written up background for the SL to sink their teeth in so to say Tongue I can already see the smirk on Sna's face and the wringing of hands  Wink we'll give him some information to play with. I like long extensive backgrounds and basically I know that Sna will grand you anything he knows you can pull off.

That's enough information, hehehe  Lips sealed

Agreed Wink I'm sure he'll do fine Smiley

I heard there was a lot of action last time, guess that means making myself a Victorian 1890's or early Edwardian active outfit I can actually move in  Cheesy well as long as the Elydium isn't a ball of course, that would be completely inappropiate. Have a lovely Nerf shotgun that needs modding. I've been seriously planning a hunting outfit, it's the spats that'll take most of the effort, I do have the cutest buttons. You should check out http://www.grootmoedersknoopendoos.nl/

There was indeed a lot of action Grin Better yet, Ghouls saved the day Cheesy And thanks for the link Smiley

So tell me more about your character  Cheesy

His name is Jericho Irfin, of Clan Tremere. And that's all I'll say in public Tongue PM me if you want to try and wrangle more info from me Wink
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #60 on: March 31, 2008, 10:57:23 am »

Another fake blood  Grin What's with you people, don't you know the only true blood  Grin

I heard some Ghoul ordered a taxi cab....  Shocked

I don't think imitation would cover the essence, it's more aimed in the direction of spitting image (if you know those by any chance). With Julian, Olga and Kaas as the Ventrue Trinity of Dorestad.

Exodus, ah, yes I thought about it, but the rule system and hierarchy put me off. Going there just because I have this great costume in mind, is a bit silly  Tongue

I'm sure I'll learn more about you when you are introduced, and I get along fine with your Primogen  Grin

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #61 on: March 31, 2008, 11:03:19 am »

Another fake blood  Grin What's with you people, don't you know the only true blood  Grin

We have true enough blood to sire with Tongue Grin

I heard some Ghoul ordered a taxi cab....  Shocked

Ayup, that's true.

Actually, and few people know this, there were two taxi cabs ordered. One is the one you heard about, who drove to the front door. The other one, which you haven't heard about, was by me. I was smart and asked the cabby to not drive up the lane to the house and wait at the road; his charge would be with him soon Cool It was for Wietse's Tremere, btw Wink

I don't think imitation would cover the essence, it's more aimed in the direction of spitting image (if you know those by any chance). With Julian, Olga and Kaas as the Ventrue Trinity of Dorestad.

Point Smiley

Exodus, ah, yes I thought about it, but the rule system and hierarchy put me off. Going there just because I have this great costume in mind, is a bit silly  Tongue

The more silly, the merrier Grin Just NPC, as I do Wink

I'm sure I'll learn more about you when you are introduced, and I get along fine with your Primogen  Grin

You'll learn more, but perhaps not enough Wink
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #62 on: March 31, 2008, 11:18:13 am »

Ha, if necessary I am sure I can persuade you to tell me more  Wink but I'm not the nosey type, and there's enough to keep me occupied as is.
Also I cannot imagine Mr. Peel having a taxi cab driven in front of the place, he has too much wit for that!

Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2008, 11:22:35 am »

Ha, if necessary I am sure I can persuade you to tell me more  Wink but I'm not the nosey type, and there's enough to keep me occupied as is.

I have no doubts you could Wink

Also I cannot imagine Mr. Peel having a taxi cab driven in front of the place, he has too much wit for that!

Though I don't doubt that statement, m'lady, I have to rectify something: that was my (Ghoul's) wit, as he only and simply asked me to call a cab Wink
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #64 on: March 31, 2008, 12:16:29 pm »

Cheesy Good show! Hope he rewarded you appropiately, like with an acknowledging nod  Grin
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #65 on: March 31, 2008, 12:28:39 pm »

That he did...Complimented me on a fine job Smiley
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2008, 12:13:40 pm »

My apologies for my absence, ladies and gentlemen. But, I've been out...adventuring. However, through trials all at once dire, perilous, joyful and adventurous, with a tinge of sorrow, I have returned! With bounty...

Out of the Abyss of Re Alli Ve, onto the Aether Web: yours truly with some more Photographs of equipment, nay, accouterments; Work In Progress Brass Goggles:

As one can see, they are the 'standard' Swiss Army goggles. Even though the eBay auction I got them through claimed these were Swedish Wink To my joy, the eyecups are indeed of metal and indeed brass or copper.

The first task I've set before myself, is neat disassembly of the goggles. I want to remove the black paint from the eyecups, or perhaps cover them with (fake) leather. Furthermore, I will replace the elastic straps with leather ones.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2008, 12:16:05 pm »

Hey TF! Long time no see! We missed you around here man! Good to have you back!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 12:28:38 pm by akumabito » Logged
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2008, 12:21:38 pm »

The dreaded Real Live got it's filthy tentacles on me, a grasp I think we have all felt at one point or another and a grasp we shall, indeed, feel again.

I would almost let it get me to get such a nice warm "Welcome home!" Wink
Abraxas
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Dept. of Works: Mistakes? We don't make mistakes.

« Reply #69 on: June 12, 2008, 03:21:36 am »

ah, my favorite goggles.
I have others, but I love how comfortable, simple, and easy to see through these ones are. I've taken to wearing my swiss goggles nearly every sunny day, regardless of the rest of my outfit. I'm sure you'll enjoy them. I just found and followed this thread and must thank you for the great ideas and links, your ensemble is most stimulating.

My new etsy shop : Vintage eyewear and goggles, more to come soon!

<A HREF="http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5902076">Vintage Eyewear and Goggles</A>
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #70 on: June 12, 2008, 10:36:03 am »

ah, my favorite goggles.

Hopefully, they will be my soon be my preferred eye protection, too Wink

I have others, but I love how comfortable, simple, and easy to see through these ones are. I've taken to wearing my swiss goggles nearly every sunny day, regardless of the rest of my outfit. I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

Thanks for your 'testimonial', good sir Wink Smiley I am not sure if I will be wearing them regularly - I am planning to modify them extensively and though some of the more rebellious gentlemen amongst us may call me a coward for it, but I intend to keep a low profile in public, most of the time, ladies and gentlemen Wink

I just found and followed this thread and must thank you for the great ideas and links, your ensemble is most stimulating.

You are quite welcome for the aforementioned Smiley I have always wanted to keep track of a project like this in a 'public' place like this. And, so far, it has been an enjoyable experience Smiley
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #71 on: June 20, 2008, 09:52:36 pm »

Here we are, one pair of disassembled goggles:

Now they are ready for the next stage Smiley I was afraid the disassembling would cost me blood, sweat and tears, but luckily, in the end, it only cost me a bit of sweat.

It came into pieces quite nicely and all I will be worrying about when I will be assembling it again is the little 'nubs' that hold the glass; I am afraid they will break off when I bend them back.

Ah, well, I will cross that bridge when I get there Wink If everything else fails, there is careful application of glue Grin

One will also notice I kept the elastic nose bridge where it is right now. I did that on purpose; I may simply repaint it and not bother to replace it, as a elastic nose bridge is, ofcourse, quite handy. The head band, though, will be replaced by something leather.
Abraxas
Snr. Officer

Dept. of Works: Mistakes? We don't make mistakes.

« Reply #72 on: June 20, 2008, 11:20:56 pm »

hmmm..those appear to be a more modern interpretation of the vintage swiss army goggles I have...lacking the brass-coloured metal, but the rubberized pads look eminently more comfortable than my near-bare-metal frames. Perhaps if I got a newer pair like those and cannibalized them to make swiss franken-goggles!
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2008, 12:13:30 am »

hmmm..those appear to be a more modern interpretation of the vintage swiss army goggles I have...lacking the brass-coloured metal

Could be that they are more modern, yes Smiley But even if they are, I think their shape is definitely Steampunk Smiley And, I hope they're even more Steampunk when I'm done with 'em. For starters, I will proove they do not lack brass Wink The frames are metal and that metal is brass Smiley 'All' I have to do is to remove the paint or whatever it is, exactly.

but the rubberized pads look eminently more comfortable than my near-bare-metal frames. Perhaps if I got a newer pair like those and cannibalized them to make swiss franken-goggles!

Heh, yeah, those rubberized pads or foam or what ever they may be exactly, are quite nice Smiley I probably will not be modifying those bits in any way.
InquisitorLordKain
Snr. Officer

The Inquisition Has Arrived, Behold The Apocalypse

« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2008, 03:19:13 am »

Awesome job so far...

About the goggles, I have an old pair of motorcycle riding goggles that look like that, that I'm gonna be using, So great find.

About a gun, I'm gonna go a bit far out, and say to go to disney, or someplace with those wooden guns...and re-make it...(I'll be doind that to one.)

Like this:

The Inquisition has cometh, behold The Apocalypse as she purges these lands with unholy cannonfire!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: