The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 06, 2020, 01:58:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk'ed - Quest for an Improved Outfit  (Read 35028 times)
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2008, 11:50:32 am »

*clunk*

'scuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor..

*shoves jaw back in place*

No worries, good sir, I'll excuse you, no problem at all - it is not every day we get such nice compliments as you are dishing out.

Wow, most excellent work indeed, both on the design, as well as the crafting itself! Please do pass on my compliments to your mother.

Once more, thank you. I shall certainly pass on the compliments Smiley I will also be honest and say that the design is based on a certain fantasy movie Wink

What is the vest made of, is that genuine leather or faux leather? Reclaimed or store bought?

'Tis market bought faux leather, albeit of a fairly high quality - it doesn't scream "Fake!", as I do believe one can see.

Do you have any close-ups of the fasteners and the lining (if any)?

Not yet, but I will make them as soon as possible. With a little luck, that'll be coming wednesday, else the coming weekend.

Would you and your mom be interested in taking on a commission some day? I absolutely love the style, it is one of the best garments I've seen posted on BG yet. The whole traveler/adventurer look is just my thing, you see.. I think the style is great, but would go for some alterations myself.. Just let me know if you guys are interested! Cheesy

You're too kind, sir. In my humble opinion, there is better than this around...

As for a commission some day...I'll ask her later today. I'm sure she'll be terribly amused; I don't think she's used to such requests Wink Your chances are high, though Smiley

Oohhhh, we could turn it into a Dutch steampunk meeting.. I'll be back home in a few months..

*stops before I get over-excited*

A Dutch Steampunk meeting would be very nice. Would give me the right excuse to wear this outfit and anything I've added between now and then Wink

cogwheel
« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2008, 05:45:20 am »

(... I know I'm going to regret this... )   Wink

I actually have a degree in Fashion Design, and I am a pretty deft hand at making a pattern from a finished garment.

If your mother does not know/have the pattern she used for any part of your outfit (vest, coat, etc) I could make a pattern from the garments themselves. Of course, I would need to have them in hand for a week, but once I get the measurements and the rough pattern pieces together, I'd get it back to you in a flash.

I would - of course - make these patterns available to the lovely and oh so stylish members of this forum...

Let me know if I can be of service...
- cogwheel
Lord Jason Blackwell
Gunner
Canada Canada

so many weapons, so little carrying space

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2008, 07:48:36 am »

might i suggest hanging a compass from the front of your vest like a pocket watch in fitting with the explorer motif?

as for that i have no other thoughts as to possible suggestions.

best wishes
J Blackwell
Otto Von Pifka
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

goggles? they're here somewhere.....

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2008, 08:46:33 am »

the hat looks a bit lonely up there, definitely need some goggles!

maybe add a larger diameter key ring to your watch fob to slip over the base of one of the vest clasps?

or a clip of some sort just above the watch, on the chain, to clip between two clasps and hang the watch just inside the vest for protection?

on the pants, maybe a pair of navy blue pants with black seam stripes? (maybe even a color pinstripe in the black) kind of an ex military look.
judging by the rest of the work, your mom could fancy up the pants with her eyes closed and one hand tied behind her.

excellent costume!
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2008, 10:09:41 am »

(... I know I'm going to regret this... )   Wink

I'll help you hope the regrets are kept to a minimum Wink

I actually have a degree in Fashion Design, and I am a pretty deft hand at making a pattern from a finished garment.

If your mother does not know/have the pattern she used for any part of your outfit (vest, coat, etc) I could make a pattern from the garments themselves. Of course, I would need to have them in hand for a week, but once I get the measurements and the rough pattern pieces together, I'd get it back to you in a flash.

I would - of course - make these patterns available to the lovely and oh so stylish members of this forum...

Let me know if I can be of service...
- cogwheel

You can certainly provide a service that has sparked my interest, of that you can be sure. However, I'll have to think it through carefully. Between here and the USA, there would be a lot of guys handling my vest, at least the package it would be in, and though the chance is small, it may never arrive...Just to mention but a single nightmare scenario Wink

Plus, there would be costs. Not that I'm too concerned about those...Just something extra to take into account.

might i suggest hanging a compass from the front of your vest like a pocket watch in fitting with the explorer motif?

A good suggestion, surely Smiley

as for that i have no other thoughts as to possible suggestions.

best wishes
J Blackwell

Any and all suggestions are welcome, no matter how great or small. Even people dropping in with their best wishes make me smile Smiley

the hat looks a bit lonely up there, definitely need some goggles!

Definitely agreed Smiley I'm currently considering an offer by elShoggotho for him getting me a pair of these, buying and Steampunking a pair these or perhaps the semi-fabled Swiss army goggles.

maybe add a larger diameter key ring to your watch fob to slip over the base of one of the vest clasps?

or a clip of some sort just above the watch, on the chain, to clip between two clasps and hang the watch just inside the vest for protection?

That's exactly the kind of thing I figure I should've and could've thought up myself Embarrassed Wink Thanks for the suggestions; that certainly got some gears running Grin

on the pants, maybe a pair of navy blue pants with black seam stripes? (maybe even a color pinstripe in the black) kind of an ex military look.
judging by the rest of the work, your mom could fancy up the pants with her eyes closed and one hand tied behind her.

Sir, I'll have her read this thread as soon as I'm able...She'll be most pleased and amused Grin

Now, on to the pants...Off to search for pictures, I am. Or did you have some specific pair in mind yourself?

excellent costume!

Agreed Smiley I hope I can claim some credit for cobbling it together and inspiring the creator Wink
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 10:11:34 am by Torvald_Faust » Logged
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2008, 10:35:07 am »

I think what your steampunk persona needs next is a huge "I love mom" tattoo... Cheesy
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2008, 10:39:42 am »

Cheesy Cheesy

Hehehe, yeah, I figure he does Grin

Say, akumabito, when exactly will you be back in the Netherlands?
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2008, 10:44:53 am »

Not entirely sure when I will be back. I am waiting 'till after my son's first birthday (it would suck to miss that!). His b-day is on April 29th.. So I suppose it would be early to mid May.. I am sort of bummed I'm missing Koninginnendag though. The best time of year to go hunt for parts and general awesomeness.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2008, 11:13:17 am »

I see Smiley I also see why you're bummed; you're absolutely right as far as Koninginnendag is concerned Cheesy Anyway, would you kindly read this topic? If we'd really pursue our idea of a Dutch meet, it could apparently very easy have an international flair Cheesy
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2008, 11:44:26 am »

Aha! Count me in! Cheesy
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2008, 11:54:09 am »

I hoped and figured as much Wink

Also, perhaps I could add something to the hat? I've been thinking of adding another 'belt' in addition to the one there already is, so I can stick something behind it. For instance, perhaps something with a nice cog or perhaps an aged Ace of Spades.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2008, 02:19:30 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2008, 10:11:44 am »

My apologies for this double post (please, do read the previous post in full Smiley), but since Uncle Sam's saw it fit to give me a coupon for free shipping for some reason or another, I figured I would explore their trove of tradegoods.

I wandered across these two items:
Battle Dress Uniform (BDU) Pants in Olive Drab

GI Fingerless Wool Gloves in Black or Olive

The latter is pretty much a given to purchase, as far as I am concerned. 'Tis true, I could easily buy my own wool gloves and snip off the fingertips and sew the edges so they wouldn't fray.

However, the price, combined with the fact it's actual army gear, makes this rather pointless. Although there's something to be said for having unique gloves...

But in case I buy these gloves, I already have a plan for them Wink Hinted reference: B.M.F.M.

The real brain-tickler are the pants. They look good, are undoubtedly resistant to the rigors of me wearing them (LARP, hiking, etcetera), are a price I was planning to spend on new pants anyway and could be reused for Post-Apocalyptic (Mad Max style) events.

And that last part is the real problem, the core of why these pants tickle my brain: aren't they too modern? I have mixed feelings about that. Forum members, feel free to add your two cents about this or anything contained within the previous post.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2008, 12:05:41 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2008, 12:56:56 pm »

It is the side pockets that make them look a little on the modern side. You could easily cheat though.. order them anyway, then remove the side pockets. If you want those pockets anyway, remove the originals, find some old and small canvas bags and attach those to the pants, either by stitching, or by attaching D-rings to the pants first and clipping them on..
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2008, 01:28:04 pm »

Hmmm, I believe you're right; the few pictures I've looked at, don't include this style of pockets. But I'll need pockets somewhere...Adding canvas bags sounds like a fun trick Grin Sorta cheating, but, hey, all is fair in Steampunk Wink

I really should get off my ass and find more references to period-correct combat wear, though...
Jerreh
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2008, 09:22:44 pm »

I've been looking for a coat like that forever, any idea on where to get one?
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2008, 09:31:13 pm »

Assuming you mean the long one lined with fur...'Fraid not, Jerreh. I was at the same stand I've bought it from earlier last friday and even they didn't have any left.
Kaiya Bravery
Deck Hand

« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2008, 06:50:28 pm »

I vote for massive black [faux-leather] gloves.

Captain Kaiya "Kidsman" Bravery, HMS Latchkey
Dum spiro spero, quae sursum volo videre...
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2008, 08:06:38 pm »

Can't go wrong with US Civil War era gauntlets.. Cheesy
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2008, 10:40:15 pm »

Votes duly noted, akumabito, Kaiya Bravery Wink I'll keep looking for cool ones Smiley Those US Civil War era gauntlets look nice, but a bit too light colored for my taste.

In the mean time, I'm pouting a bit Cry I saw some cool items in this webshop and was looking forward to purchasing them, for I thought I had free shipping...Alas, not the case; only for people living in the USA Sad The 'nasty' thing is, that even if I'd find someone to ship it to in the USA, that person would make costs to get it to me...
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2008, 07:43:39 am »

Mr. cogwheel:

PLEASE do not feel in any way bad, but instead be proud of being able to draft patterns.
It is a most useful skill. I once made the (questionable) decision to wed a PhD-candidate in Theatre Design and spent much of the next few years crawling about on sheets of tracing paper with a Sharpie marker, saying "WTF??"   Smiley

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
cogwheel
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2008, 08:06:58 am »

Oh, I don't feel *bad* about it... I just figured that exposing such a talent to a creative bunch of people like there are on this forum... well... it could create a LOT of work for me!  :-)

If I could have stomached the fashion industry at all, I figure I could have made a good career for myself (judging from the quality of the other patterns I saw on a day to day basis). But I just couldn't take the industry.

To each his own, and, as the Zeppelin pilot said as the gases escaped: Zo ist das leben!

- cogwheel
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2008, 06:33:47 pm »

And now, for the intermission, "What I Bought Today", by Torvald Faust.

I visited a store with military surplus today, to see if there was anything to be bought that would be of use to me. There wasn't much, but I bought two fairly nice pairs of gloves:

As I say, they're fairly nice, especially considering what I've paid for them Wink I'm not 100% sure yet which of the two pairs I'll integrate into my Steampunk costume, but probably the latter pair, for reasons I've stated earlier.

That being said, I'm still left with the following 'acquisitions list':
  • Goggles
  • Weaponry
  • Gloves
  • A new pair of pants
  • A gadget or two
  • Gaiters

I hope to get the pair of pants next Smiley
« Last Edit: March 30, 2008, 09:16:10 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
Ampère Volt
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

Danger! High Voltage!

« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2008, 06:47:48 pm »

You look familiar, maybe I've come across you at a larp somewhere. Nice outfit, the Steamy bug should be spread more widely. I do know of a group that plays on Kederan as Steampunk chirurgijnen.  Grin

Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination.
<i>Oscar Wilde</i>
A ruffled mind makes a restless pillow.
<i>Charlotte Bronte</i>
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2008, 09:15:33 pm »

You look familiar, maybe I've come across you at a larp somewhere.

Hey, that would be cool Grin What events have you attended these last couple of months? And, what's your real name, if you're willing to give it to me?

Nice outfit, the Steamy bug should be spread more widely. I do know of a group that plays on Kederan as Steampunk chirurgijnen.  Grin

Oooh, interesting Smiley

Now, in other news, I've got myself some gaiters, courtesy of Kogwheal Grin I've still got to do some work on 'em, but after that, they'll be cooool Cheesy
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Admiral
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2008, 11:23:33 pm »

And on related matters, does anyone have the patterns for gloves? Seems it should be harder than just some fabric and twice the shape of a hand...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: