The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 22, 2014, 03:21:53 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official Facebook page: Brass Goggles

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk'ed - Quest for an Improved Outfit  (Read 27182 times)
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

Persistent pilfering privateer

« on: March 01, 2008, 05:17:40 pm »

Before I start, my apologies for the small(ish) pun in the title...But I just couldn't pass up that opportunity Wink

Now, ladies and gentlemen, moving on. Fresh photonic recordings of the outfit I'm looking to Steampunk are under the spoiler tag:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Am I happy with the outfit? Certainly. Is it Steampunk enough for my liking? Nope, not quite. So, I'll be adding some things the coming days/weeks/months/years:
  • Goggles
  • Weaponry
  • Gloves
  • A new pair of pants
  • A gadget or two
  • Gaiters

I suppose we can all agree that the above doesn't warrant a thread of and by itself - this thread serves well for stating things such as the above.

However, I would like to open the floor for suggestions Grin
If you've got suggestions, please keep in mind that though I won't mind investing in new gear, I won't break the bank on it. As far as clothing and props are concerned, I'm very much a Fantasy oriented LARPer; I'll be wearing this only a few weekends in the year.

Also, suggestions that'll come with links to pictures, stores, etc., I'll value even more Wink

In addition to the suggestions I hope to receive, I'll be tracking my progress here.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2010, 11:49:46 am by Torvald_Faust » Logged

sparrowlight
Snr. Officer

First Officer aboard the good Airship Aurelia

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2008, 05:46:11 pm »

Your costume looks fantastic already, esp. the hat and the coat.

A few suggestions:
1. Weaponry?  Perhaps you can add a gunbelt or carry some knives.
2. The vest is great, but it could use some embellishment if you are so inclined.
3. I'm not sure if spats would work over your current boots, which look a little bulky.  Also, I think of spats as a more "gentlemanly" accessory, and your costume is more ruffian (which I mean in a positive light, please understand) than gentleman...but that's just my opinion.

Good luck with it!

I shall defy his fury.
[Mme. de Stael]
theMadTinker
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Why do they always obfuscate the screws?

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2008, 05:54:46 pm »

Technically I believe that what we're referring to most often when we say "spats" are actually gaiters.  Spats were certainly more of a gentlemanly accessory, designed to keep muck from the street off of one's shoes, while gaiters are more utilitarian, being designed to keep the muck out of your boots as you dash across no-man's land.  This is why you'll find gaiters at mil-surp stores; sometimes great big boxes full of them.

It's not a skirt, it's a kilt; and ye ken why it's called a kilt?  Because I kilt everyone who called it a skirt.

You won't get far trying to argue semantics with an English major.

The Urban Phantasy Blog
sparrowlight
Snr. Officer

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2008, 05:59:03 pm »

Ah, thank you sir, for the insights on spats v. gaiters.  I do agree that this costume could use gaiters (as a utilitarian piece) rather than spats.
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2008, 06:24:47 pm »

Your costume looks fantastic already, esp. the hat and the coat.

Thank you, sir Smiley Quite happy with the both of them, myself. Both are store bought, with slight customization...Just the way I like my costuming.

1. Weaponry?  Perhaps you can add a gunbelt or carry some knives.

That's pretty much a given; there will be such things. Currently the first pieces of my first raygun are littering my desk; I hope it won't be too long before the pile of bits reaches critical mass and is suitable for spawning a gun Smiley

2. The vest is great, but it could use some embellishment if you are so inclined.

Halfway agreed. As it is now, it's still semi-suitable for a Fantasy setting and I don't want to 'destroy' it by adding anything permanently, truth to be told.

Good luck with it!

Thank you, sir! With a forum like this one and gentlemen like you to back me up, I'm quite confident I'll succeed.

Technically I believe that what we're referring to most often when we say "spats" are actually gaiters.  Spats were certainly more of a gentlemanly accessory, designed to keep muck from the street off of one's shoes, while gaiters are more utilitarian, being designed to keep the muck out of your boots as you dash across no-man's land.  This is why you'll find gaiters at mil-surp stores; sometimes great big boxes full of them.

Gaiters it is, then...If I make/buy them well, they'll even be useful in more than one way, as they'll disguise the rather modern lacing of my boots. Which are genuine Dutch army boots, if anyone is interested Smiley

To continue on the subject of making them...Would modifying the spats patterns in one of the issues of Steampunk Magazine result in something suitably and properly 'gaitery'? I'm currently researching them for a bit, but I wouldn't mind fasttracking the answer to this question Wink
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 06:28:09 pm by Torvald_Faust » Logged
skribb
Snr. Officer
American Samoa American Samoa

The Antithesis of Normal

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2008, 06:42:41 pm »

Nice outfit. Personally, something that is always steamy is trinkets. Keys, watches, compass, that sort of thing.

But all the clocks in the city,
Began to whirr and chime.
O, let not Time deceive you,
You cannot conquer Time!
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2008, 06:47:57 pm »

One thing that'll help, I feel, is better pants with more pockets, where one can assume such trinkets are held. Then again, a 'amulet' made out of a key or two and a gear may help.

Currently my noggin' is stewing on where to leave a pocket watch and/or compass in such a way it's obvious I have them Grin
Tinkerboy
Snr. Officer
Denmark Denmark

steamorama.

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2008, 06:49:53 pm »

It's a brilliant basic outfit, that you can customize by hanging keys and stuff(as "skribb" mentioned) on.

ok, here we go. i didnt knew a tinkergirl before i chose my usename. true story.
Ramiel
Snr. Officer

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2008, 07:13:20 pm »

Wow I was developing an ALMOST identical costume for me... Shocked

Ok, Like it was mentioned before I suggest gaiters (leather gaiters if you can), and maybe a linen shirt with a standing collar, and a pair of gauntlests too...
And it would be cool if you could use a "consistent" color with your clothes (all shades of brown and tan for example...), and some distressing will help with the "adventurer", lived look Wink

Also I NEED to know where did you take that vest!
Do you have a pattern or something?

You can see my art HERE
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2008, 07:21:42 pm »

It's a brilliant basic outfit, that you can customize by hanging keys and stuff(as "skribb" mentioned) on.

Thank you Smiley

Great minds think alike...?

Ok, Like it was mentioned before I suggest gaiters (leather gaiters if you can)

The leather is already on my shopping list Wink

and maybe a linen shirt with a standing collar

Who knows Smiley I think I may be able to pull something like that from my normal clothes.

and a pair of gauntlests too...

Like the ones a pilot of the era would wear, for instance, I suppose?

And it would be cool if you could use a "consistent" color with your clothes (all shades of brown and tan for example...), and some distressing will help with the "adventurer", lived look Wink

Roger and wilco!

Everything in those photo's, except for the hat, the boots and the coat, is custom made and a one-off, made by my mother. I don't know if she used a pattern for the vest and if she has, if she still has it, but I'll inquire.
sparrowlight
Snr. Officer

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2008, 07:27:05 pm »

I agree that a visible chain from which to hold a compass would be splendid...though if you don't want to change your vest (perfectly understandable), then perhaps the chain could hang out of a pocket.

And not that it is relevant to the discussion at hand, but to clarify: I am not in fact a gentleman, but rather a lady.  Wink
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008, 07:33:07 pm by sparrowlight » Logged
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2008, 07:31:33 pm »

I agree that a visible chain from which to hold a compass would be splendid...though if you don't want to change your vest (perfectly understandable), then perhaps the chain could hang out a pocket.

As it is now, I've got few pockets Wink So, I really find myself wondering where I'd leave the chain...

And not that it is relevant to the discussion at hand, but to clarify: I am not in fact a gentleman, but rather a lady.  Wink

Duly noted Smiley
Ramiel
Snr. Officer

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2008, 11:17:49 pm »

Thank you Smiley

Great minds think alike...?

Ok, Like it was mentioned before I suggest gaiters (leather gaiters if you can)

The leather is already on my shopping list Wink

and maybe a linen shirt with a standing collar

Who knows Smiley I think I may be able to pull something like that from my normal clothes.

and a pair of gauntlests too...

Like the ones a pilot of the era would wear, for instance, I suppose?

Roger and wilco!

Everything in those photo's, except for the hat, the boots and the coat, is custom made and a one-off, made by my mother. I don't know if she used a pattern for the vest and if she has, if she still has it, but I'll inquire.

Yes about the gauntlets, and if you (or your mother) could provide me a pattern (or some help) for that kind of vest I will be in your debt! Smiley

but, again, that's a really cool outfit. It really captures (for me) the spirit of the adventure and exploration! Wink
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2008, 11:23:26 pm »

Yes about the gauntlets

Hmmm...The good thing about those is that if I choose wisely, they'll be usable for much more than just Steampunk Grin

and if you (or your mother) could provide me a pattern (or some help) for that kind of vest I will be in your debt! Smiley

I'll see what can be arranged.

And I'll see how you can repay the debt.

Wink

but, again, that's a really cool outfit. It really captures (for me) the spirit of the adventure and exploration! Wink

Thanks a lot, sir Grin That's high praise!
Yvarg
Officer

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2008, 12:32:44 am »

I must know, where did you find the long-ish coat? Or was that fashioned by your mother as well? The whole ensemble looks great! I totally agree with whoever suggested the visible pocketwatch chain. Needs a bit more brass.  Smiley
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2008, 12:43:33 am »

I must know, where did you find the long-ish coat? Or was that fashioned by your mother as well?

Though my mom can work costuming magic, I bought the coat on the market, a few months back. We've customized it somewhat, though.

The whole ensemble looks great!

Thanks, most kind, sir Smiley

I totally agree with whoever suggested the visible pocketwatch chain. Needs a bit more brass.  Smiley

Agreed, entirely. Though I've said it before, I'll say it again: just got to figure out where I'll leave it.
kommander
Officer

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008, 06:57:01 am »

I would ditch the black boots in favor of some brown ones. Black leather just seems to scream post WWII for some reason. As far as gaiters go you might want to look into WWII style US leggings. 
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2008, 10:32:00 am »

I would ditch the black boots in favor of some brown ones. Black leather just seems to scream post WWII for some reason.

With my experience acquiring boots, that would be exactly the kind of investment that's too expensive for something I won't wear much. Then again, who knows what I'll run into in the future Smiley

As far as gaiters go you might want to look into WWII style US leggings. 

You mean these things?

In the mean time, I got some ideas.

First, for the gloves I may go for "Oliver Twist" gloves:

Though leather gauntlets would be smashing, they'd also hinder me when I'd try to, say, pull the trigger of my raygun, or manipulate some small engine parts.

Also, I got an idea for an suitably militaristic/adventurer item: a copper/brass-and-gears dog-tag Smiley
« Last Edit: March 02, 2008, 11:15:04 am by Torvald_Faust » Logged
mythdude
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2008, 06:07:09 pm »

I would suggest these gaiters
http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=BWGAITER&ST=2

I really want a pair...but they wouldn't work with my boots. 

Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief.
Sigmund Freud
akumabito
Goggleologist
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2008, 06:27:46 pm »

Ooohhh... the coat's sourced on the market you say... most interesting indeed! Where'd you find that vest? It is all sorts of awesome!

akumabito
Goggleologist
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2008, 06:29:57 pm »

For dogtags, may I suggest using these Cheesy
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2008, 11:46:49 pm »

I would suggest these gaiters
http://www.armynavydeals.com/asp/products_details.asp?SKU=BWGAITER&ST=2

I really want a pair...but they wouldn't work with my boots. 

Those are quite nice...Thanks for the suggestion!

Ooohhh... the coat's sourced on the market you say... most interesting indeed!

Aye. Just saw it laying there one day. Bought it virtually without thinking about it any further Grin

Where'd you find that vest? It is all sorts of awesome!

Thank you for the compliment Grin I, however, quite regret to inform you that I didn't find it - I designed it and my mother made it. May sound silly, but I can't help it - my mom is good at making costumes Grin

For dogtags, may I suggest using these Cheesy

Shocked

I really like those, I really do! However, for me, they'd be too expensive. The costs of the items themselves are okay; I'd probably spend that much on raw materials if I'd do it myself. However, the shipping costs pretty much double the total costs for me; $30 for shipping...I doubt that if they'd be send through regular mail, it would be that much. I'd have to find a 'shipping partner' if I'd actually buy those Smiley
Miss.E.Thunderchild
Gunner
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2008, 07:46:16 am »

Hmmm - a suggestion for the dogtags - what about if you got rectangular tags lifke those engraved at a pet shop and then bought the fittings at a craft shop?  Those look like fairly standard keyring fittings to me...

This thread is facinating - please post pictures when you're complete!

Kindest regards,
Euphrosina
Torvald_Faust
Zeppelin Overlord
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2008, 10:07:48 am »

Hmmm - a suggestion for the dogtags - what about if you got rectangular tags lifke those engraved at a pet shop and then bought the fittings at a craft shop?  Those look like fairly standard keyring fittings to me...

Now, there's a nice suggestions...I wouldn't have thought of that; glad you did Wink I think I shall visit the nearest petshop posthaste!

This thread is facinating - please post pictures when you're complete!

Only when I'm complete? Heh, madame, that shall take a good while...I'm afraid I won't be able to keep myself posting a picture every time I get or make a new item. If they're of particular complexity, such as a nice new raygun, I shall probably make a seperate thread in the apropiate forum, such as Tactile.

Glad to be fascinating - means I did not craft this thread for nothing Smiley

Now, as a sidenote unrelated to all of the above, I have had an ephaniy of sorts. I have a bit lying on my desk that may not end up in the raygun I will be building, as it may not fit with the rest of the bits I shall use for the raygun. I am, however, one hundred percent sure it would fit really well in a Steampunk-style plasmasword/lightsaber Grin
« Last Edit: March 03, 2008, 10:41:51 am by Torvald_Faust » Logged
akumabito
Goggleologist
Netherlands Netherlands

Mundus Patria Nostra!

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2008, 11:15:16 am »

Thank you for the compliment Grin I, however, quite regret to inform you that I didn't find it - I designed it and my mother made it. May sound silly, but I can't help it - my mom is good at making costumes Grin

*clunk*

'scuse me while I pick my jaw off the floor..

*shoves jaw back in place*

Wow, most excellent work indeed, both on the design, as well as the crafting itself! Please do pass on my compliments to your mother. What is the vest made of, is that genuine leather or faux leather? Reclaimed or store bought? Do you have any close-ups of the fasteners and the lining (if any)?

Would you and your mom be interested in taking on a commission some day? I absolutely love the style, it is one of the best garments I've seen posted on BG yet. The whole traveler/adventurer look is just my thing, you see.. I think the style is great, but would go for some alterations myself.. Just let me know if you guys are interested! Cheesy

Oohhhh, we could turn it into a Dutch steampunk meeting.. I'll be back home in a few months..

*stops before I get over-excited*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: