The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2014, 09:03:42 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Official Facebook page: Brass Goggles

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Sex Diary of a Victorian Gentleman  (Read 4091 times)
Brass Rabbit
« on: February 23, 2008, 12:52:35 am »

I just happened to stumble upon this very interesting, albeit poorly designed, website that provides free excerpts from a turn-of-the-century book called My Secret Life, a biographical account of the sexual kind penned by a man simply known as "Walter."

http://www.my-secret-life.com/

I haven't actually read the book yet, as I just discovered it, but I think it looks very interesting.

I should add that this is NSFW and definitely rated R.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2008, 03:14:43 am by Brass Rabbit » Logged
Franklin Wrayburn
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Misanthrope

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 02:20:50 am »

That was... err... *loosens collar* well... *cough* interesting, I suppose.

The brass behemoth did turn and stare at me and I at It before It turned and lumbered away with a creak. In It's eyes there was almost seen a dulled intelligence, trapped behind servitude and great agony, and always will I ponder what sentience, if any, exists behind the eyes of clockwork automata.
Luella Dobson
Zeppelin Admiral

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 10:30:10 pm »

I assume this sort of thing is not for a lady's eyes?

fuck it, I'm curious.

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 10:34:09 pm »

Well with language like that you´re hardly a lady.  Wink

In space, no one can hear you steam.
Luella Dobson
Zeppelin Admiral

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:36:16 pm »

SHHH. I'm reading about the nursemaid.  Cheesy
Sean Patrick O-Byrne
Immortal
Canada Canada

Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2008, 12:46:04 am »

She's a steam pixie now, falling under unsavory and, ah, unnamed influences...

Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com
Prof. A. Morphous
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2008, 02:14:35 am »

M. Rabbit,

Thanks for posting such a scintillating/scandalous link.  Embarrassed

M. Dobson,

I applaud your sense of curiosity and your reckless language (I had to chuckle).

As a general comment this work has come up before here:

http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=2753.0

and some other similar links were brought up at the time if anyone is interested.

-Prof. A. Morphous  Grin

"All of my comments are random thoughts, meant to help, praise or suggest a path of travel. All should be pondered, and disregarded as you see fit."

I feel like punching a penguin in the face today. -Ella Kremper
cybele13
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2008, 03:26:52 am »

A friend got a hold of a copy of this book when we were in college. A small group of us ladies would gather round a bottle, read bits of it aloud, and giggle A LOT.

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!"  ~ Theodore Roosevelt
CinnamonAndSpite
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2008, 07:24:38 am »

I just LOVE the almost... mechanical tone to his writing. It really is quite bawdy and facinating.
Albrecht
Zeppelin Overlord
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2008, 10:23:53 am »

I must say, I do find the language quite un-gentlemanly.
Does anyone know if something like this has ever been published from a female point of view. Would be quite interesting to compare emotions, impressions and memories described in such a work with this one.

CinnamonAndSpite
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2008, 01:23:19 pm »

Does anyone know if something like this has ever been published from a female point of view. Would be quite interesting to compare emotions, impressions and memories described in such a work with this one.

Unfortunately, alot of times the double standard of sexual behaviors make many ladies take pause out telling of their adventures, and when they do, they are... considered to be a quite undesirable type of woman after. Sadly.
cybele13
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2008, 08:26:35 pm »

Isn't Justine written from the woman's point of view? But, of course, it wasn't really a woman who wrote it...

Not sure if anything that old is out there...unless you find the unapologetic memoir of a Five Points madame or something.

Ooohh! Wait a sec...wasn't there an infamous brothel keeper from Washington D.C. from the Reconstruction era or something? I also know there was a series of photographs taken of women who worked in several brothels in New Orleans, but I think those are much later...
polyphemus
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 12:49:00 am »

And if there isn't anything someone (or perhaps a consortium) better start writing double quick!

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Captain K. D. McKee
Gunner

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 04:49:32 am »

The log of the Skippers Wife is an interesting read.  Can't Recall who wrote it of the top of my head.  Its a bit later period, but there is a lot of frank sexual whiting from a womans perspective.  As well as an interesting look at the life of a woman on a cargo schooner in the early 1900's.   I highly recommend it.
Speranza
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008, 08:40:08 am »

I haven't come across anything exactly like a female version of this memoir in my readings, but I have  found one piece that may give a bit of insight on female Victorian sexuality. The piece is called "Hygiene and Physiology of Women" or the Mosher Report for short. It consists of a small group of women's answers to a questionnaire created by Dr. Clelia Mosher in the 1890's. About 50% of the questions are related to sex. The report is unpublished and dwells somewhere in the Stanford archives, but a revised, published version exists under the title The Mosher Report: Sexual Attitudes of 45 Victorian Women. I've only read excerpts from secondary sources citing this piece and can't testify to the nature of the entire document(whether it consist of mostly statistics, for instance), but the snippets I have read are quite interesting and very honest. Very tame compared to My Secret Life, I'm sure Smiley
Albrecht
Zeppelin Overlord
Germany Germany

Commanding Officer LZ-X1 Württemberg

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2008, 02:57:01 pm »

Well, thank you both. Let's see if I can find details on the aetherweb.
(And as a side note: I've got a Staatsexamen in anthropology and psychology, so there's an actual non-voyeuristic interest there) Wink
Bajaro
Gunner
Philippines Philippines

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 04:12:49 pm »

Well, "Night in a Moorish Harem" was about a British sailor who, ah, spent a night in a Pasha's harem. The whole book consisted of the women reviving the said sailor's vigor by relating lewd stories of their lives before residing in the Harem.

Quite a sensation, this book was, when I was still in highschool.
Fortigurn
Zeppelin Captain
Taiwan Taiwan

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »

I had to stop.  I couldn't read any more, and I felt like I needed to scrub my brain out with steel wool and disinfectant.  Not only is his language appalling, it's clear he was a serial molester and rapist.  I was hoping it would be an ethical and sociological reflection, rather than a triumphant collection of personal gloatings over his many sexual conquests.

My eyes!  The goggles - they do nothing!

Steampunk@Redbubble

Brushes:

500ml

Obsidian Daw
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: