The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 26, 2019, 09:07:44 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Free Port City of Salvage  (Read 27522 times)
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #125 on: March 24, 2007, 07:02:33 pm »

Lazaras passed his walking stick through a loop of fabric sewn into his pants for just such an occasion before starting up the same rope Adrianna used. Once on deck he unsheathed his cane and made his way to the pilot's house, robbers probably wouldn't know it, but that was where he kept his more valuable possessions hidden of course, but desperate people can be quite resourceful and are likely to know more tricks to airship smuggling than he.

Pistol drawn in his right hand, and cane gripped as one would a club in his left he rapped three times on the wheelhouse door and waited. In response there were three raps followed by an audible click as the lock disengaged. Looking over those that'd taken refuge he handed the nearest figure, a slip of a woman that was married to the ship's cook and nodded. "Shoot anyone that opens this door save for myself, Adrianna, or anyone in Salvage's employ." She nodded once before he closed the door and waited till he heard it lock before turning to the surrounding chaos. In truth the looters had started to lose heart, but there were the occasional ones that were either desperate, or resourceful. It was these he had to worry about, and, unfortunately for him, none were willing to engage him in close quarters, instead throwing things such as harpoons, knives, and the like, or just shooting.

One such person he saw  hiding behind several upended barrels draw bead on Adrianna. Even as he shouted Lazaras hurled his cane at the man, a thing he must have practiced for it flew true to its target weighted end first, striking the man in the rear. Supprized more than hurt the man's aim was thrown off, barely missing the envelope as he fired.

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #126 on: March 24, 2007, 11:19:06 pm »

Grey's thoughts flickered back and forth between her options: find the mask to combat the smoke, or keep total control of the balloon. She figured, at least, she could hold out breathing for a few more minutes, so when her lungs failed her, then she could worry about that. Presumably, The Vigilant Eye had received her transmission, so she could expect some sort of help soon. If not, she would have to sort out this mess herself, which was no big feat, just a little nerve-wracking.

Looking around, there were no other ships at this altitude, so it should have been simple enough for Grey to move out of the smoke then. Through wisps of the thinning veil, she could see Salvage, and so reversed the Blue's direction. Upon the change of direction, she could see in the distance a ship, perhaps a dirigible, moving towards her, likely The Vigilant Eye. She thought to increase speed, but the situation was still too unstable.

Suddenly, everything grew dark, and the clamor from below hushed. A menacing shadow covered the sky. Grey had seen it before, but never this close up. She stared in awe. The ship's size was beyond imagination, yet there it was before her. That astounding man's voice boomed across the sky.

On his command, the other ships had moved, and by moved that meant, ascended. Before she could react, ships began to rise around her. "Ishmael, you bastard," she half-muttered, half-coughed. Left with no other choice, she increased the balloons speed as much as she could, hoping to dart out from the mess before her path was blocked. When it seemed she was home-free, there was a devastating CRUNCH to starboard, and Grey was thrown to the side. The balloon spun around.

She pulled herself back to the dash as quickly as she could, only to find that the starboard wing was now unresponsive. "Damn it..." Steering was still possible with a single wing, but would be exponentially more difficult.

So this was it. She was down to the wire, with nothing left to do but throw caution to the wind and accelerate that balloon as if it had never accelerated before. There was a hiss of a leak in the envelope and fuel was beginning to run low. Grey steered the balloon to a direction that resembled out, and flew...

So I like to get high off the dust on the 170-year-old books in the library. What of it?
Proud Member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #127 on: March 25, 2007, 12:52:13 am »

Abord Leviathan Ishamel surveys the chaos below. He see one airship, damaged, but still flying with more speed than should be possible, heading for a gap in the  cluster of airships all jockeying for space. He presses a button and speaks into a speaking tube.
"Rhakoum!. launch your courier airship. I believe that damaged vessel is of P.I.R.A.T.E.S. If that captain breaks clear go alongside and offer our aid and haven in our repair docks.  You should have ample power to keep both vessels aloft, need be. I will attenpt to contact her by tightbeam."

Far  aft,  the courier ship launches and begins to weave its way towards the stricken airship.

Ihsmael  strkes his whiskers in wonderment at the piloting skill of whoever is trying to take a crippled ship through such a gap.
"Daring, and skill, good traits for a pilot. Would that I had  few more of that ilk.."
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 02:02:19 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #128 on: March 25, 2007, 01:19:45 am »

Ishmael calls unto him Ismet and tells him to ready a cohort of sappers and their equipment aboard two supply vessels, and a squadron of Marines in an armed patrol vessel.
 "We will need to clear the dock area of debris and make them safe enough for ships to dock. I know not as to the state of Salvage's engineering or security staff, and as such I will make ready to is them as need be. I believe that ten of the steam walkers will suffice to clear the docks. Have Captain Smallhythe command the Marines. He has diplomacy as well as  military skills. Do not launch until I have said"

Ismet salaams and rushes aft.

Ishmael turns to his helm staff
'Prepare to wear ship. It may be expediant to stand Leviathan off a league or so from the Port. Make ready and await my word"

MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #129 on: March 25, 2007, 01:43:18 am »

Octavius grew restless, having waited for quite some time, he opened his portable communications apparatus, pushing a button, it whirred into life again. "Captain Grey, I hope you have fared well. It was quite the ordeal, and, whenever possible, I request a rendezvous, so I may board the ship with my items."

Walking up the piers, he continued onward...Pier 2...Pier 3....Pier 4......Pier 5....Pier 6....He could still see the Leviathan, even at this distance it was enormous. He stopped to admire the ship, and could just make out the slightest hint of a ship moving quickly away. "I wonder what that was? Ah well, I'm sure they are fine." Continuing, he saw Pier 7.

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #130 on: March 25, 2007, 01:57:17 am »

Francis looked through his telescope looking for the Vaporous Blue in the jumble of Ships ahead. He saw the familiar balloon. It seemed to be damaged, something wrong with the wing, but it seemed to be fine, because it was going at a much faster speed then it should have been able to. And she was heading out.

He looked back at the Leviathan to see a ship leaving the docks. It seemed to be heading towards the Vaporous Blue, but one couldn't be sure because many of the ships were jumbled in that relative area.

This was good, as he would not be able to go and help her, seeing he would not be able to get to her in all those ships.

He though perhaps it would be good to be there for if she got out into open air. From their he would have been able to help. Perhaps pick up her and the balloon. He went outside.
A crewman was waiting for him. "Yes sir?"
"Begin to steer the ship towards the Vaporous Blue again, but slowly, as not to run anything."
"Yes sir! Anything else?"
"That will be all thank you."

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #131 on: March 25, 2007, 02:05:58 am »

Paracletus had ceased heading downward once he had heard his Master's voice. He began to ascend, avoiding the still useless lifts.
He knew his Master would not himself land, but had no doubt that some of the Leviathan's crew would no doubt make portfall.
 He knew that he would be able, through them to communicate with Ishmael, and pass on word of his find.
"By the nice devils of Ashram, the day does get better!" he laughed to himself.  Continuing upward he could juts make out the dock areas. Pier 7 seemd to be intact,as good a spot as any.
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #132 on: March 25, 2007, 05:29:15 am »

"There is no way I can make it out of this," Grey muttered. "There is no way! But if I do..." She grinned to herself madly. "I am going to drink so much I'll forget this even happened!"

Normally, Grey was not a fan of alcohol, but the chances of her surviving what she was about to do were so slim, it seemed like a reasonable promise. The Vaporous Blue zoomed past the other ships at lightning speed, each close call more harrowing than the rest. A voice crackled across the radio, but was too caught up in other transmissions to be understandable. Luckily, the end appeared to be in sight.

That is, the end was in sight, and happened to be between two large ships at slighty lower altitude, that were likely to strike each other, the Blue be damned. The exit began to disappear, but still Grey forced the balloon towards it. She thought to herself, amused, how much this seemed like the climax of some parlor room adventure tale, only less embellished. Closer and closer to the exit now... and she was struck on the port side.

The balloon was forced into the zeppelin at starboard, and ricocheted off that, spinning uncontrollably. Grey once again was thrown to the floor, where she remained, making her peace with the world, praying to whatever sort of God there may be for salvation. Things crashed down around her, and she had the distinct sensation of falling...

After a minute or so, the Blue stopped spinning. Amazed that she was still alive, Grey feebly stood, and looked outside.

Open skies.

She laughed, then quieted down, then laughed more loudly. In a million years, she would never have guessed she was that good of a pilot. It was either that, or she was exceptionally lucky. (Likely the latter.) The interior of the gondola was a wreck, and she doubted the exterior had fared much better, but by Jove! She was alive!

Alive and still sinking, rather quickly. No time for celebration yet. She noticed, now above her somewhat, two ships approaching. One was The Vigilant Eye, and the other was... well it was coming from what must have been the direction of the Leviathan. She turned the transmitter back on, hoping it was still working, and spoke in a rattled voice.

"This is..." she laughed. "I can't believe it, but this is Captain Grey, of the Vaporous Blue. I am doing my damnedest to stay in the air here, so if one of you would like to lend a hand, that would be great."

She collapsed to her knees, breathing heavily and laughing. Looks like she would be going for that drink after all.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #133 on: March 25, 2007, 05:45:34 am »

The reciever crackled, then settled down as the frequency aligned..
"My dear Captain Grey, I hight Rakhoum, from Leviathan. I am requested by my Master, to ask if you would accept my assistance. I can bear your ship to Leviathan, where my Master would offer you hospitality. He is in alliance with your Council, and offers a safe haven and full refit of your ship. He feels that as he may have had some small part in the damaging of it,  repairs and refit are a small recompense.
 You will find he is not what he was, as he has had a  true vision of his destiny, and it lays not with the Councils. What say you, and if yes, be ready to accept my grapples to bear teh weight fo your vessel. This is Swiftsure, and she can easily bear you up"
Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #134 on: March 25, 2007, 07:48:53 am »

For lack of anywhere better, Grey secured the grapples on the ship's open windows, then watched as they approached the Leviathan. However immense the ship had appeared before, that was nothing compared to its size up close. As they entered the docking bay, the ship seemed to swallow them whole. The ship's interior was nothing less then stunning. From the size of it, and its facilities, the Leviathan could be a city itself.

When the Vaporous Blue was finally deposited on a stable surface (at this point it could barely support itself at all), Grey flung the gondola's door open, and stumbled out, covered in cuts, bruises, and soot. Her clothing was ripped in several places from being thrown around, and really the only thing still in place were her goggles, which were crooked as well.

She limped around the wreck of a balloon, inspecting it. The tip of the port side wing had been bent, but the starboard wing, if it could still be called that, was a broken mess of metal that barely clung to the side of the ship. The gondola itself was blackened from the smoke, and rather shoddy-looking overall. Grey crawled back inside the ship to use the radio; at least that still worked.

She supposed she was on the right channel. "Mr. Granville, come in dear." Her voice at this point, sounded rather deranged, frankly. "Mr. Granville? Just wanted to tell you that I may not see you again for a little while. I'm currently aboard the Leviathan, and let's just say, well the Vaporous Blue is not in the condition you last saw it in. No worries though, the good Captain Ishmael has offered to fix everything. In any case, if you need me, you know at least where I am."

Grey stumbled out of the ship again, waving at the dock attendants. She laughed, "Maybe I'm asking too much of you gentlemen, but I don't suppose you could spare a good glass of brandy, could you?"
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #135 on: March 25, 2007, 12:49:00 pm »

Sir Miller watched as the ship from the Leviathan came and picked up the balloon. And began to take it back to the Leviathan. Well that seemed to be taken care of now didn't it. Ah well, I'm sure one of these other ships may be in need of at least some aid. Francis called to a deck hand. "I would like to send a transmission out on all frequencies saying we will give aid to those in need." The deckhand looked confused not exactly sure what to do. "Never mind then, go get me a bottle of brandy, will you, chef knows where the good stuff is." This the deck hand understood. "Yes sir!!".

Francis walked towards the transmitter. He turned it on, waiting for the crackling to get out. 'This is Sir Francis Miller, captain of the airship The Vigilant Eye. I am offering my assistance to those in need of it. Anyone who needs would you kindly respond.' That should do it, He thought to himself...
Now wheres my brandy?
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #136 on: March 25, 2007, 01:04:23 pm »

Octavius sat near Pier 7, having left his crates at Pier 1 for the time being, the portable comm whirred, and he could just make out his captain's voice..

"Mr. Granville, come in dear." He opened the box, and heard the message: "Mr. Granville? Just wanted to tell you that I may not see you again for a little while. I'm currently aboard the Leviathan, and let's just say, well the Vaporous Blue is not in the condition you last saw it in. No worries though, the good Captain Ishmael has offered to fix everything. In any case, if you need me, you know at least where I am."

Sighing in relief, he knew Ishamael would take good care of the fine vessel, and his captain. Relaxed, he walked along to Pier 8...It seemed a little chaotic over there, some shady looking types were near a ship, and the crew seemed to have some problems with those hoodlums. Tapping his pipe on his shoe, the contents fell out of the bowl and onto the floor. He place it in his pocket, and started forward cautiously.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 01:08:17 pm by MrFats » Logged
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

nickottens
« Reply #137 on: March 25, 2007, 01:48:16 pm »

Ottens sat on the Observation Deck, overseeing Port Authourities and merchants and privateers alike bustling about the Dockyards, apprehending thug, making repairs, cleaning up waste and wreckage.  Holding a glass of scotch in his one hand, he watched as the sun slowly sank down below the horizon of the sea.  Hues of violet and crimson flowed over the waters, colouring the Port City itself in a glooming shade of blue.  Lamps on deck brought illumination to dusk, and all vessels in the air, great and small, brightened as tiny little lights all about flared up.

The careful footsteps of a valet approached from behind, silently delivering the intelligence dossier he had requested, as well as a telegram that had evidently arrived from his associate.  Apparently the Argonautica was less than a day out of Port now, and he felt relieved that Fantômas would soon be able to join him.  Preliminary plans had been attached but the awkward quality of picture telegraph made the whole thing appear nothing but oddly confusing.  Ottens dismissed the sketches and opted to await Fantômas' arrival the next day to overlook his design proposals.

While the smaller craft from Leviathan were docking at the anchors of Pier 7  (and his First Lieutenant was still awaiting their arrival to request a meeting with this "Ishmael"),  Ottens focussed his attention on the dossier that the valet had brought him.  Unfortunately the file was very thin and, as it turned out, only composed of a few pages.  He opened the file and started reading . . .

REPORT ON THE "LEAGUE OF ISHMAEL"

Ordered Reported on March 23

Intelligence Division of the
O.B.S.C.U.R.E.

NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Exploring a past that never was. SMOKING LOUNGE: Steam- and dieselpunk community.
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

A Most Improper Victorian Lady

« Reply #138 on: March 25, 2007, 01:52:16 pm »

Adrianna whipped around and delivered a shot straight to the man's chest. The resulting wound would be fatal without medical attention.

"Thank you, Mr. Fawkes. I do believe I owe you my life, " she said in an amused voice. "Shall we clear the ship of these mongrels? Once everything is attended to, we can conduct our business meeting."
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #139 on: March 25, 2007, 02:39:32 pm »

Spotting some crew members, he asked "Who does this ship belong to?" The crew members look round to see who addressed them. "Mr. Lazaras." Octavius walked around the exterior, admiring the vessel. "A fine ship the gent has chosen for himself." Turning, he spotted a hoodlum making his way toward the ship. Removing his weapon, he squeezed the trigger. The gun hissed, gears turned, and steam shot at the nefarious individual. Unable to see, and most likely severely burned, the shady character fell to the floor.

Continuing towards the crew, "Where is Mr. Lazaras?" The crew members stammered "In-inside, he had some business he had to attend to." "As always, I should have assumed. Well then, there don't seem to be that many robbers left out here. Why don't you all attend to the ship? These individuals that wish to continue to attemp to rob this ship shall be warded off by me."

As a robber ran forward, he squeezed the trigger again, steam shot into the person's face. Addressing the small crowd left "Now, whoever wishes to continue to advance, shall receive similar injuries at that poor sould laying on the floor before you. I would suggest you all return from whence you came, lest you suffer the same fate."
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #140 on: March 25, 2007, 02:55:30 pm »

After retrieving his cane he gave her a slight smile, "Steer clear of the pilot house. Several of the crew's family members are holed up there and they'll shoot unless its me." He turned his attention from Adrianna to the railing of the ship, more specifically to a group of looters that had just boarded. He smiled slightly as he approached, "Might I ask what you're doing on my ship?"

Out of the small group a lank soot colored fellow stepped forward and drew a gun, "We're taking your ship." Lazaras's eyes narrowed but he made no move against the man. "See, you're going to tell your crew to let us come along, and when we get where we're going...." The man advanced on Lazaras, gun at the ready.

"Whatever you say." Lazaras looked about for something, anything that could grab the man's attention.

For his part, however, the man simply sneered, "Yea, whatever I say. What if I say you die?" He raised his gun.

"Then," Lazaras stated in a somewhat shakey voice, "you will join me."

"That so?"

Lazaras's attention was now wholey on the gun pointed at his face. "Without me I doubt you and the bunch you came with will get far."

"Hm, mebbe...but this is Salvage and I can always find other people." He was now a little past arm's length from Lazaras. "What do you say to that Mr. Rich and Useless?"

"Well first," Lazaras's eyes locked with his attacker, "I'd say that you need to learn not to threaten somebody with the safety still on." He brought his cane up  with as much force as he could put behind it with one arm, striking his attacker in the groin, sending him to the deck curled around himself. Lazaras slowly bent down to take the pistol away from the prone figure and flipped the safety leaver. "Now then,," He looked at those that had silently advanced with the now fallen man, "Anyone else care to have a go, or do you want to do the sensible thing and get off my ship?" Apparently common sense won out as the half dozen or so of them scattered. Granted they probably could have overwhelmed Lazaras, but its unlikely the y would have done so without at least one or two of their number being shot, and nobody likes being shot.

Turning his attention from the scattered hoods Lazaras spotted Octavius and smiled. "Sorry for the mess, good help and all that."
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #141 on: March 25, 2007, 03:02:48 pm »

Wiping the sweat from his brow, Octavius lowered his weapon, the gears stopping, the barrel stopped steaming. "Ah, I could see. Your unfortunate crew knew not how to fend off those ghastly folk. Admirable, however. For an amateur crew they stuck to the ship quite well. They shall serve you greatly when they become more experienced. Now, are there any repairs required? I can be of assistance for the time being, as my captain is inside the Leviathan, due to extensive repair on her vessel."

"Ah, Miss Hazard! How good to see you once more. I see you're also quite the expert shot, as I spotted some of the unfortunate fellows who met with their end at the barrel of your weapon."

"Now, as I stated, how can I be of assistance?" Walking toward them, he ensured his weapon was no longer producing steam, and holstered it."
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #142 on: March 25, 2007, 03:05:49 pm »

Lazaras looked at the other man a moment and shook his head, "It seems like the looters are moving on to less well defended targets so really all that should be left is to see what's broken and to keep anyone else off till the locals get everything fixed." He leaned on his cane and walked around. "I don't suppose it would be a good idea to lend a hand to a few of the less well organized crews?"
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #143 on: March 25, 2007, 03:12:42 pm »

"Yes, I do suppose you're right, I just have not spotted any. Ishamael is sending in ground assistance for all who need it. There are a great many, but he seems to have everything else handled. If you are not in need, I shall continue onward, as there are a few things I was curious about."

Smiling, Octavius pulled out his pipe once more, packing it gently, and lighting his smoke. Taking a few puffs, he started toward the door, wondering if there was a small workshop around the city, where he could continue work on his inventions.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #144 on: March 25, 2007, 03:22:07 pm »

Lazaras bowed slightly as the man walked away and limped back to the pilot house and rapped on the door three times. "Its safe now, they're gone." the door unlocked and slowly opened, allowing the half dozen people that were hiding there out. "Hazel," the woman he had handed the gun to earlier stopped, "Go find Rodney and tell him we have wounded up here." The elderly woman nodded, gathered up her skirts, and started across the ship.

With that done Lazaras started walking around the perimeter of the deck. What wounds there were seemed generally either superficial, or fatal, and felt his own usefulness will be in making sure no new uninvited guests show.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #145 on: March 25, 2007, 03:28:27 pm »

Exiting the vessel, Octavius searched for a person to ask about a workshop to use. Approaching a gentleman, he asked about a workshop. Nodding, he pointed in a specific direction. Octavius thanked him, and walked onward toward the  workshop. Spotting it, hey entered. It was completely empty, with all the tools he would need, for now. Feeling his side, he remembered the bag of items he had taken from the crates at the pier. Emptying some of the contents onto a table, he put on his pair of magnifying spectacles, and went to work.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 04:00:30 pm by MrFats » Logged
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #146 on: March 25, 2007, 05:38:35 pm »

She supposed she was on the right channel. "Mr. Granville, come in dear." Her voice at this point, sounded rather deranged, frankly. "Mr. Granville? Just wanted to tell you that I may not see you again for a little while. I'm currently aboard the Leviathan, and let's just say, well the Vaporous Blue is not in the condition you last saw it in. No worries though, the good Captain Ishmael has offered to fix everything. In any case, if you need me, you know at least where I am."

Grey stumbled out of the ship again, waving at the dock attendants. She laughed, "Maybe I'm asking too much of you gentlemen, but I don't suppose you could spare a good glass of brandy, could you?"
  Rakhoum hastens to Grey's side, and welcomes her abord Leviathan, complimenting her on her piloting skill.
"even I ,as senior pilot for Ishmael, would have had trouble breaking free as you did. well done" He removes his elather flying helmet and goggles, and Grey is surprised to see a bald, dark man, with a great white grin . He bows, and says " my master has arranged accomodations and dinner, and would like to meet with you shortly."  I will guide you myself,, to your quarters. But first... he raises a hand and a leieried servant appears as if by magic, bearing a silver tray with a decanter. 'Your brandy, Captian Grey, and I think you will find it is not merely good, but excellent"

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #147 on: March 25, 2007, 05:43:07 pm »

Several ships from Leviathan work their way to the docks of Salvage, Two are supply and supprt ships for engieers, who begin to unload heavy equipment to begin the task of clearing and making serrviceable once again, the broken docks fo Salvage. The other ship, a rather nasty looking patrol raider, bristling with arms, disgorges a cohort of combat ready LOI Marines, who take up positions around the engineers growing base camp, and then begin organize security details.
The engineers unload and fire up great steam-walkers, and begin the work at hand.

Luminous Grey
Gunner

The sky outside is...

« Reply #148 on: March 25, 2007, 08:31:50 pm »

Not that Grey knew much on the subject, but it seemed an odd way to serve brandy. Nevertheless, the quality could not be denied. She took a sip and coughed a little. "This is rather strong isn't it? Good flavor though."

She studied the other pilot's face. He was an impressive looking man, cheerful seeming. She set her glass a down a moment and tugged on his sleeve. "So what do you think? Do I look completely awful? Before we go I should get some stuff out of there, before the deflating envelope swallows it."

She hurried back to the ship again, rummaging through the chest. She found a spare change of clothing and, now that she didn't need it, the gas mask. Also inside was her steam shot, the one Mr. Granville had given her. In a panic, she looked to her side, pleased to find that, surprisingly, the portable Tesla cannon was still secured in its holster. She gathered a few other personal items and ran back out to meet her escort.

The man, Rakhoum, was fascinating. From the sound of it, he had been through many adventures in his time as a pilot. She remembered that he had complimented her flying skills, and laughed. "About what you said before... I don't know if I'm actually good at flying, or just extremely reckless. About these accomodations..."

The ship's decor was astoundingly dignified, and in places, extravagent. Grey was surprised, but supposed, this was to be expected, given everything else that was amazing about the ship. The room she was brought to was stately, but comfortable. Rakhoum left her so that she could freshen up. She finished off the brandy, feeling more relaxed now, and slightly tipsy. In a large mirror in the corner, she could see the state she was in. She washed up as much as she could, and changed her clothing. The were still cuts on her face and on her hands, and a noticeable bruise above her left eye, but she looked at least slightly more decent.

She sat back in a chair and began to doze off. Ishmael could call for her when he was ready.

(Now moving to LoI thread until I leave the Leviathan)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #149 on: March 25, 2007, 08:47:47 pm »

Some time later, after Captain Grey is rested and refreshed, a knock at her door is heard. She opens it and it is Rhakoum, who asks if she would accompany him to meet his Master.
"My Master would meet with you, and like as not will have news on your airship"
he leads her off, down the richly panelled and carpted halls untill they come to Ishmaels salon. The double doors swing open. Rhakoum bows, and Captain Grey is ushered in.
 "Ah my dear Captain Grey, may I offer you refreshemt, tea, perhaps, or something stronger?"
"I must compliment you on your piloting skill, few of mine, save perhaps Rhakoum could have escaped as you did. But then to the matters at hand. I have word on your vessel, the ah " he considers some papers" "Vaporous Blue" . I'm afraid you have some rather major structural damage. It can be repaired, but that will take time, much time, and I fear we have little of that. To that end, I am prepared to offer you a ship of mine. If you would but give Rhakoum the specifications you requires, I believe we can find, or have re-fitted, something to suit your needs. At any rate I fear you will be my guest for a while yet. I have a matter to attend to, but would you do me the honour of dining with me tomorrow evening?  Now, I have someone for you to meet"
Ishamel pulls a bell cord and in from a side door enters a young lady, in the uniform of a League pilot.
"this is Captain Permelia Throckmorton, a very fine pilot in her own right. She will be your guide and companion while aboard Leviathan. She commands Merlin, an armed dispatch vessel. And now, if you ladies will excuse me"

Permelia and Grey leave the room.

Ishmael picks up a speaking tube.
"Ismet, have a patrol raider readied with an armed squadron of Marines. Also send me four of the Elites, armed for shipboard, and send me Lieutenant Louca, I have instructions, and a particular task for him alone.   I have a meeting with Ottens aboard his "Peril". Once I am away, arm Leviathan, do I not return safely within the time allotted, remove his ships from the equation. I will have an Insponder with me in any case, keep the channel alive, and monitor it as your life. I go to ready myself, send along Louca"

Ishmael goes to prepare, wondering what Ottens will wish to discuss, His own intelligence staff have suspected OBSCURE has been "inquiring" into their master, it will remain to be seen if the false trails set in place long ago have succeeded..

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: