The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 20, 2019, 09:34:41 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Free Port City of Salvage  (Read 26846 times)
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2007, 02:30:10 am »

Sir Miller waited patiently beside the transmitter. Waiting. He began to pace again. Wondering what was going on within all that chaos when with a crackle, the transmitter came to life.

'Captain Grey... of the Vaporous Blue. I am caught in the air... space above the docks and having trouble... escaping. I am trying to... fly out of the smo... ke right now, but any assistanc'

The voice faded, no doubtedly caught in some of the many other transmissions being sent.
But that was all he needed. He already knew the Vaporous Blue, Captained by Miss Grey. He went out to the deck and began searching the skys for the familiar balloon. Though he had only seen it once in a Council meeting, he had quite a good memory, which came in handy.

The familiar winged balloon caught his eye. It was caught in smoke, but ascending above the hecktic airships trying to get out, or in, it was hard to tell. He signalled toward his First Officer.
"Yes sir?"
"Set course for the balloon, I believe she is in need of assistance."
"Sir?" Of course, the First Officer was unaware of the situation.
"Just do it."
"Yes Sir!" And went into a salute. He went off towards the controls.
Sir Miller picked back up his telescope and began watching the chaos ahead.

"Peace cannot be kept by force, it can only be achieved by understanding."

-Albert Einstein
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2007, 02:40:27 am »

Far below the destruction, Paracletus makes plans. His earrings, when combined will form a one way Insponder, tuned to Leviathan.
In the hems of his robes are sewn 500 metres of spider-line, thin, flexible, yet able to support his weight many times over. His ornate belt and buckle can be re-assembled onto an alpinists desecnder, and the clasps for his cape can be used as carabiners.
 Paracletus, removes his earrings, assembles them and records a short message describing his situation. He presses a stud, the Inspnder glows, and the one-time, one-way message is sent.
 Paracletus knows fire goes up, so he prepares to go down. Ensuring he has the mysterious cylider safely tucked away next to his body,
he readies himself, and steps out of his room. He soflty calls out to the spirits of his ancestors for guidance, and sets off down the corridor.
  He knows his Master will be here, and knowing the speed of Leviathan , knows it will not be long.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 03:08:04 am by HAC » Logged

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Andy_W
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2007, 10:22:42 am »

MR Ottens a representative of 'The 100' will call on you shortly.
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

A Most Improper Victorian Lady

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2007, 12:39:51 pm »

Colonel Hazard, having shot one burglar, noticed her climbing comrade on the deck and rushed over to find out what was wrong.

"Are you injured, Mr. Fawkes?"

He let out a small moan, sitting up, and explained that he had a bad leg.

"Is there anything I can do?"
MrFats
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2007, 12:56:25 pm »

Octavius, member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S. Location:  second deck, en route to Pier 1

"Halfway....there.....al.....almost....there.....come on, I know I can make it!" Octavius thought, surprised his legs could move, let alone still carry him anywhere further than a few feet. The clockwork stomped behind him, chasing him through the deck. Octavius could see no one, and continued to run, aware of the fate that would await him, should he choose to stop again. "My steam shot would take too long to use again...and I do not think....it would work as effectively..... I....must...reach the end.....I have to make sure.....everyone is safe...." Octavius panted, tripping over something on the floor. It glistened, but Octavius refused to stop, and continued to run, unable to even think of looking back.

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #105 on: March 23, 2007, 02:12:27 pm »

Lazaras shook his head, "No, it'll pass." He struggled back to his feet, barely getting missed by gunfire, "just find whoever's shooting at us." He pulled a small pistol from his coat pocket. "I'll be fine," as if to emphasize the point he shot one of the would-be thieves in the leg. "might as well be considering."

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #106 on: March 23, 2007, 02:57:07 pm »

Octavius Gransville, member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S. Location: second deck, en route to Pier 1

Octavius hears the faint crack of gunshots, he spins round, only to remember the clockwork behind him, now almost upon him. In the distance, he can barely make out two figures. "I...m...may not...escape....this one" he thought, jogging, as he no longer had the energy to run. "No more....inventions...I....I thought I had one more....I think, I might?...For now...I shall continue....until I can move my legs...no longer...". His chest felt as if it his heart would burst, his lungs ached with every breath, his legs no longer had any feeling in them.

The alternative, however, did not seem like such a good option either. Now halfway across the deck, Octavius struggled to continue, driven only be adrenaline, his own desire to live, his concern for his captain, and those he knew were in the city. Turning the knob on his gun, thinking out loud. "It will...take longer to...hit maximum...this time....and I do not know....if I can hold....out till then...but who...are those people......in the distance?....I...hope...they...can assist me...." Octavius, barely able to collect his thoughts, moved toward the figures in the distance, now growing larger with each step.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 03:38:53 am by MrFats » Logged
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #107 on: March 24, 2007, 03:30:55 am »

Francis Miller, member of P.I.R.A.T.E.S., location: Airspace outside of Salvage

The deck was hustle of activity. Every crewman now at there posts for the task they were about to try. Francis looked out his office window. The ships were getting much closer. The Vigilant Eye began to rise of the crowd of ships. He thought about what they were going to try to do, and shuddered. So many things could go wrong.

To keep his mind occupied he began sharpening his blade.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #108 on: March 24, 2007, 04:41:38 am »

Over the sounds of the chaos that is the docks of Salvage, a new ominous sound is heard. From the west, the sound of something approaching rapidly is heard. The sound of great propellers and powerful engines, the roar of exhaust from red-hot stacks.  A great dark speck rapidly prows larger... larger.
Out of the clouds emerges a sight that strikes the struggling crowds silent. A ship approaches, although the word ship does not do justice to what the captains of stricken airship now can see. It is Leviathan, slowing and swinging around to stand off from Salvage.   Her sides dwarf the docks, her hull shows docking ports to rival those, now burning, on Salvage. Her mighty props alone dwarf the airships milling around trying to flee the fires. She is a rival in size to Salvage itself.
One airship captain panics, and heads his vesselltowards the mighty air behemoth , firing her 6 pounder. The shells have no effect on Leviathan, Suddenly; the 6 pounder ceases its bark, silenced by one swift strike of a Tesla gun. The gunner leaps back astonished as his weapon's barrel melts before him.
  Out of the air, a voice as the voice of gods sounds...

"I am Ishmael, and this is Leviathan. To the fire crew of Salvage, stand off two score of yards from the flames, I will attend to them in 30 seconds"

The fire crews stand astonished, and after some indecision, they and the others on the dock run...

Thirty seconds passes... The mighty hull turrets of Leviathan swing around and track to the fires. Then... they Fire...
 Panic breaks out on the docks; Ship captains try to swing their ships away from what must most certainly be death from above... But no shells land. Above the fires, parachutes open and large glittering shells descend slowly... As if by magic, the flames appear to be sucked into them, after a few seconds, the flames are out, and the shells fall, now dull, to the ground'
 The voice speaks again...
“The fires are extinguished by the power of re-phlogistination.  Know that you must exercise caution as the heat remains in that whcih was burning.
  Prepare for my ships to land. We mean no harm, but my crew will  land heavy equipment with the end of clearing the docks. Airship captains that require aid raise a blue flag at your forepeak, and I will send a lighter to assist. Should you be in need of medical assistance, raise also a red pennant, under the blue. Aid will be forthcoming. All airships stand off 500 yards from Leviathan. Venture closer without consent at your peril"

The great ship stands off, docking ports on her sides open and support vessels can be seen readied to land.

The docks had fallen silent, but now sounds of voices raise themselves at the wonders they have seen... They waiting and wondering begins….
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #109 on: March 24, 2007, 05:17:16 am »

Octavius, hearing the noise, becomes temporarily distracted by it. Apparently, so was the clockwork, as it began to chase the giant ship.

He knew who this ship belong to, he knew the man who called it his own. He could barely whisper, but he managed to do so.
"Ishmael!" Almost two-thirds of the way to the pier, he could now see clearly, what appeared to be Lazaras, and a young woman. Judging by her looks, she matched the description one of his men had given after he gave her the membership to Brass Goggles. "Col. Adrianna Hazard! Mr. Lazarus!" he croaked, barely able to get both names to pass his lips.

Moving forward, he walked, watching the clockwork stomping toward the behemoth of a vessel. His captain should be in no harm now, as Ishmael had probably taken care of the fire, and was proceeding with rescue and aid for the people on the pier. He had heard of this man, but once from Master. It was said that he studied with the likes of Nemo and Moriarty. Indeed, a well respected and powerful man, if there ever was. Moving forward, he continued toward Lazaras and Col. Hazard.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #110 on: March 24, 2007, 05:47:53 am »

Lazaras was too dumbstruck by the sheer size of the Leviathan to do more than gape open mouthed at the sight. He had thought his own ship was a respectably sized vessel but this....it was simply something he could not  wrap his young mind around.
Ottens
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

nickottens
« Reply #111 on: March 24, 2007, 01:16:23 pm »

Ottens, Elder of the OBSCURE.  Location: on board the Peril, moored at Salvage

Evidently this gentlemen Fawks, or "Lazares" as he had insisted on being called, had not, as Ottens had feared, been shot in the leg, but rather it appeared that he was in somewhat ill condition, and although of course Ottens had offered the use of the Peril's hospital, "Lazares" had guaranteed him that no medical attention was required.  So while the insurgence had been put to an end, Port Authourities were seeing after the ever-raging fire.  But then a most turbulant noise was heard from the skies above, and Ottens could not believe his eyes when he spotted the source of this sound:  for hovering high above them in the air was a ship, an actual ship, so grand in size that it made even the Peril appear small, yet even further up in the skies there hang the balloon that supported the unimaginable weight of the vessel.  Ottens had never seen anything quite like it, and it imposed dread and terror onto all that perceived its magnificence.  Then as if the gods spoke from the heavens above came the heavy voice . . . I am Ishmael, and this is Leviathan. To the fire crew of Salvage, stand off two score of yards from the flames, I will attend to them in 30 seconds  and with that the fires were extinguished as if by the touch of angels. 

"Col. Adrianna Hazard! Mr. Lazarus!"  A short, yet broad, olive-skinned man wearing a dark pea coat and hat approached them, hardly able to mutter the words.  His face and hands were covered in dirt, and as he neared he brought an odour of machinery and mechanics with him.  "Mr. Lazarus!"  he called out again, but the latter merely gazed in awe at the contraption that hang above them.  Auxilary craft poured out of its side, and a small armada composed of what appeared to be a transport vessel, and several fighters, drafted by the presence of their mother ship, set out to dock. 

Ottens quickly regained his senses and immediately ordered his captain for the bridge to make preparations should this Leviathan carry hostile intent, before attending to the working man that had came near them.  "Your name, please, young man?"  Ottens demanded, upon which he learned that the chap went by the name of  "Octavius, Octavius Granville, Sir . . . I should wish to speak with Colonel Hazard and Mr. Lazarus,"  the former of which had noted his presence and now moved toward them.

"Colonel Hazard, eh?"  Ottens remarked in surprise which caused a firm  "That's right,"  from the lady.  Raising his eyebrow, Ottens said:  "Well, I'll leave you at it then,"  heading for his First Lieutenant, ordering him to meet whoever disembarked from the approaching craft and request audience on his behalf with the owner of this Leviathan.

NEVER WAS MAGAZINE: Exploring a past that never was. SMOKING LOUNGE: Steam- and dieselpunk community.
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #112 on: March 24, 2007, 01:37:42 pm »

After a moment of awe caused by the sight of Leviathan, the ship of Ishmael and her council's ally, Adrianna brought her focus back to the matters at hand. After holstering her weapon, she strode over to Octavius and introduced herself.

"It is a pleasure to finally meet you, Mr. Granville, and I must thank you for the lovely membership card you made me. Now, what business do you have here today?"
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #113 on: March 24, 2007, 01:49:26 pm »

Octavius walked towards them, slowly, his legs quite tired from all the running. "Well ma'am, I was looking for some parts for further inventions, the sound was just loud enough for me to hear, even in the scrapyard. Being the curious sort, I decided to check it out. It took far longer for me to get here than I had initially thought. Then, of course, there was that beastly clockwork chasing me...The membership card, Miss Hazard, was necessary. You had payed Mr. Lazaras, so of course, I am required to make one. Mr. Lazaras...Mr. Lazaras!! Oh my, he appears to be in quite a bit of shock."

Walking around, he sees the boxes of items he had asked the gentleman to bring to the pier before all the chaos. They seemed fine, but he would check the contents later. For now, he waited for word from his captain. Finally able to relax, Octavius collapsed on the floor, his face dirty, unable to move.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #114 on: March 24, 2007, 01:53:27 pm »

"Wha...?" He blinked and looked about. Fire stopped, good. No more shooting, that's good too. His ship?

!

He turned towards Octavius and Adrianna and spoke in urgent tones, "I really must apologize, but I need to check my ship." He made his way towards the gangway(If the thing was lowered he'll be headed out, if not he'll simply wait).
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #115 on: March 24, 2007, 02:33:59 pm »

"I suppose that I should see to my ship as well, if only to check up on my crew, " said Colonel Hazard as she turned to Mr. Ottens. "Thank you for suffering our prescence, but I must take my leave now. I hope your ship remains safe and that none of your crew has been injured in the robery attempt. Good day."

She walked swiftly over to the gangway, meeting Lazaras on the way.

"What pier are you docked at? We may be heading in the same direction, and after the safety of both our ships has been established, we can have that meeting you arranged."   
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #116 on: March 24, 2007, 02:44:05 pm »

"Pier 8, anchor 12, you?" He hurried as fast as his injured leg would allow as he stuffed the pistol he'd been using in his pants pocket.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #117 on: March 24, 2007, 03:02:48 pm »

Octavius watched Miss Hazard and Mr. Lazaras walk off into the distance. Relieved that most people were all right, he waited for contact from his captain. Standing up, he checked the contents of the two crates. Everything was in order, and, had not been harmed by the fire. "What a relief, now I can work on a few items, when I get back on the ship."
Sitting atop one of the crates, he waited, finally able to relax.
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #118 on: March 24, 2007, 03:03:31 pm »

"Pier 4, anchor 27," replied Adrianna as they disembarked from the ship. "It will take but a moment for me to check in upon my crew. I'm sure they handled the emergency well."

The pair walked along the docks and came to pier four. Adrianna had to slow her pace somewhat, because even in heels she walked quickly, and did not wish to outpace her company. At anchor 27, a medium sized airship was just re-docking. The three balloons that held it aloft were full and billowing, held in place by strong netting. The wooden gondola, shaped in the fashion of a boat, was about 35 meters long and 15 across, with sandbags hanging over the sides to provide stability. It was fantastic looking, if a bit worn, and truly seemed to be the vessel of a pirate.

A scrawny, dissheveled looking young man came over to the side and prepared the gangway for boarding while Adrianna tied the ship to the dock with firm knots.

"Please come aboard, Mr. Fawkes."

Upon reaching the deck of the ship, the two were met by the man who had lowered the gangway. He greeted Adrianna and asked who she had in tow.

"This is Julian Fawkes, Henry." She wandered over to the other three crew members who were performing the usual checks on the ships systems. They looked somewhat tired and even a little nervous, but with a bit of joking, they were at ease once again.  All four of them were street rats Adrianna had convinced to join her on the airship, and they had become a very good crew over the months. She said she would be off, and that they had free time until her return, then motioned for Lazaras to follow her off the ship.

Having disembarked, they made their way over to pier eight.  
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #119 on: March 24, 2007, 03:17:23 pm »

Octavius, never a patient man (his Master often scolded him for such things), hopped off the carts and began sifting through them, opening the box in his pocket, he turned a few knobs, and the needles on the gauges flicked this way and that, finally resting on a few numbers. Octavius waited for a voice, curious who he was listening in on.
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #120 on: March 24, 2007, 03:19:00 pm »

The scene that greeted Adriana at Pier eight was far different. Lazaras's crew was freshly hired and, in the cases of the less critical jobs, literally gotten fresh off the street.  They were doing an admirable job of keeping the looters at bay, but it was clear they lacked the experience Adrianna's crew had. With a soft sigh Lazaras turned to his companion, "...you know, for the money I paid to hire this lot you'd think I'd have gotten better results. Guess good help really i-"

His words got cut off by the sound of somebody falling off the deck, and having the misfortune of landing at his feet. "If you wouldn't mind I would appreciate your experience miss."
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #121 on: March 24, 2007, 03:30:19 pm »

Octavius thought to himself "I wonder who this is? Their voice sounds quite familiar..hm..Oh!"  He awaited an answer, sitting on the crate once more.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 01:37:18 am by MrFats » Logged
Col. Adrianna Hazard
Officer
Canada Canada

« Reply #122 on: March 24, 2007, 03:50:02 pm »

"Certainly, Mr. Fawkes, I would be glad to help."

Colonel Hazard had been surveying the situation. They gangway was up to prevent easy entry but the robbers, being resourceful, had found other ways up. Adrianna went over to the nearest docking rope, tested the knot, and swung onto it. She shimmied up the rope and pulled herself into the gondola, announcing loudly to the crew:

"I am a friend of your Captain, and here to help."

Having ensured she would not be mistaken for a robber, though that was technically her profession, she drew her weapon. A sure shot after her army years, Adrianna quickly picked off a few deliquents with non-lethal force.
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #123 on: March 24, 2007, 03:54:15 pm »

"I'm sure Miss Hazard can take care of any problems that arise, I'm sure the damage is not severe" he thought, walking up and down the walkways, fiddling with the tools at his side. "The transmission was probably not heard, or they have it taken care of." Pulling out a pipe, he packed it, lit the smoke, and began to puff away (A rather bad habit acquired from his Master)
Mr. Shank
Gunner

*In deep thought*

« Reply #124 on: March 24, 2007, 06:16:32 pm »

The hustle and bustle of activity stopped on deck. Francis looked up from his chair. Had he been asleep? He went out to see what was the problem. And then... He heard it. The whirring of engines. The sound of a ship... a very large one at that. He stepped outside and looked at his crew. All standing around like a bunch of idiots, figures. He went to his first officer. "What seems to be the problem?". The first officer pointed to the sky. Francis looked up to see the huge, gargantuan ship. He knew what this was. There was only one ship that could ever be this big.

Leviathan.

He heard the voice. "I am Ishmael, and this is Leviathan. To the fire crew of Salvage, stand off two score of yards from the flames, I will attend to them in 30 seconds...". He looked at the sheer size of the ship. Huge, rivaling a floating city.

Francis looked away and realized The Vigilant Eye was still moving. They were still set on the course that was above all the other airships. But with the arrival of Leviathan, all had moved upward. And now, The Vigilant Eye was now on a direct collision course!!

He began to yell.
"To work you fools!!" Whacking members of the crew across the head with his cane. "To work!! Stop the ship, hard to port!!"
The crew slowly went out of there daze and got to work turning and slowing down. "Faster you IDIOTS!!!"
Sir Miller went to his office and slammed the door.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: