The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
July 21, 2018, 03:11:50 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Steampunk Collective  (Read 8434 times)
Emperor
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Divine Wind

« on: January 31, 2008, 03:00:32 am »

This is an idea I raised last year but illness intervened before I could do anything about it,

The concept is straightforward: We often have little projects and ideas crop up that need a variety of skills and it'd be handy to have a thread where people could post what they can do so anyone looking for something specific can skim through and fire off a PM to people who might be able to help. Obviously this is that thread Wink

So if you are an artist, writer, prop maker, 3D modeller maker, programmer, musician, model, etc. and you could in theory be interested then throw in your name and details and if you work in a visual medium and have a gallery we can look at (DeviantArt is always a popular option) then add that in too. Basically anything that can help, for example: if you are an artist can you turn your hand to sequential art or larger pieces? Can you turn your hand to different styles?

I now throw the floor open to you.

Emps

if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Steampunk Collective thread
Emperor
Snr. Officer

Divine Wind

« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 03:08:12 am »

And I may as well start (despite not having anything dazzling to offer Wink ):

• Writer - I can turn my hand to both prose as well as more scripted mediums, largely comic form but the principles extend to video, etc.
  • Proofing - I've got a good eye for looking over both art and text.
  • Brainstorming - I'm pretty handy at hammering out ideas and kicking them around with other people until something interesting falls out.
  • Web fu - I know HTML as well as PHP and MySQL and so can wrangle web applications. I doubt I have the time for anything bespoke but at a push can modify existing packages.
  • Photographer - nothing special but I have had my photos in a book (and on the cover) - it was a book my uncle wrote but still...

I have a lot on and will probably have already thrown my hat into the ring on anything here that I want contribute to but that is what I'm bringing to the table.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 04:16:45 am by Emperor » Logged
Wenzdai
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 03:49:13 am »

Im interested..im nothing special.. but heres what i can do

DJ- Im a dj at a local radio station (KSCU) So if your a band looking to get promoted in the bay area..
 Photographer- been Doing photogtaphy since i was 11. I shoot film and digital
DreddPirateBob
Officer

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2008, 11:01:06 am »

Artist, illustrator, concepts etc

bit of low level 2d animation (gifs basically)

Writing, but not much professionally for years and i am not really much good to tell the truth.

oh and Second Life, but theres enough of us types on here to be redunt. thought it worth mentioning though Smiley
Dr.VladimirKryptoïd
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:13:36 pm »

I can't do much :

-I can translate french into english and vice versa
-I can create dark ambiant soundtracks ( did it for a few fallout mods ) 

-I can write a little bit but am not a native speaker so...well no, forget about it.
Fortigurn
Zeppelin Captain
Taiwan Taiwan

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2008, 12:32:31 pm »

*  Technical writer and editor:  I write technical specification documentation, installation manuals and user guides, release notes, sales/marketing documentation, and edit management documentation.  I also do some editing work for a patent, copyright, and trademark attorney, and have edited a Master's thesis in my spare time.  I'm useful for editing work and writing tutorials and guides.

*  Information professional:  This is my professional vocation.  I know how to find information, how to look, where to look, and have access to professional information databases.  I know how to use the Internet properly for finding information, which most people don't.  I have built up my own personal electronic library of facsimile editions of hundreds of works, including the 15th century alchemical works of Theophrastus Paracelsus (part of my very large collection of alchemical texts from the 15th-19th centuries), William Lilly's 16th century works on astrology (part of my very large collection of Renaissance astrological texts), and an extraordinarily large collection of theological texts from the 15th century to the 19th century (largely on prophecy).

*  Photographer and Photoshop dabbler:  See Here

My eyes!  The goggles - they do nothing!

Steampunk@Redbubble

Brushes:

500ml

Obsidian Daw
Dr Veleck Madlove
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Professor of Steam Theory

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 11:05:54 pm »

I know I am digging this up but this seems like a good idea.  I know that if we combined efforts on projects, a I wash your back you wash mine, we can achieve much more than trying to gather many individuals on our own.

Jack of all Trades -  I know a little about alot.  Web development, scripting, writing, internet radio and podcasting, and many more things.

Director - I tend to be one to organize people together and get things moving. 

Other than that there are many things I can do such as conceptualize and help refine ideas. 

Currently working on the Aethercast www.madloveandco.com and Of Brass and Iron. 

Magnus
Gunner

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008, 01:25:47 am »

lets see, shall we now, i will probably update this when i am more awake, but for now.  i should note, i dont have any great experience applying the following to steampunk, however i hope to remedy this soon

electronics: i can design basic circuits and can build just about anything really.

model builder: have been making scale and wargame models for at least 7 years now, i can kitbash almost anything given good parts and am not half bad at scratch building,  my painting skills are not great but i can get decent results

prop making: have a little experience with it, however to me it is just an easier version of scale modeling

jewellery making: have a decent amount of experience with it, mostly chain maille but some mixed media experience too.

web mastering: well, i have experience with several content management systems, along with kompozer

i know a little about a lot of other subjects too, most of my hobbies tend to draw on skills from each other
von Brasswood
Zeppelin Captain
Norway Norway

Master of Graphical Marvel

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008, 01:36:48 am »

Photography - preferrably digital, but I do it all
Web development - design/xhtml/css preferrably, and simple PHP, as well as Wordpress tinkering
Illustrations and drawings - I can quickly or less quickly whip up illustrations, but don't count on me having time to make them great. Preferrably vector, as I don't have a tablet (for now..)
Translations - Most Nordic languages (Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, even some Icelandic) into English, and vice versa.
Writing - Poetry and fiction, as well as factional texts. I've touched upon several genres, and can help in general writing as well as idea-flicking.

"Steam punk is like a top hat: You can watch it from different angles and enjoy different things about it, and there are no single hat that fits everyones head."
- vonB
CinnamonAndSpite
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008, 03:09:54 am »

Photography - I've been doing it since 7th Grade... I love to have adventure days where I wander around photographing what I find to be interesting. I don't feel I'm exceptionally skilled at it, but I've got a 'good eye'.

Painting/Drawing/Sketching - I do it, I have a style entirely of my own, I'm not on the top of the best artists ever, but I am quirky and slightly abstract.

Photo-Manipulation - I'm pretty good at it. I used to do it to Role Playing portraits for my own characters, and its grown into full blown Digital Art for me. I'm of a middle of the road talent, but still! I've been doing it a while.

Writing - Mostly creative, I struggle in editorial and technical writing, but my creative writing is wordy and generally considered pretty nice. At least by my text-based RP buddies. I'm not so hot at sitting down and writing a book, but short stories, and PAINFULLY bad poetry are something I can do.

Teaching - I have a basic knowledge of a bit of alot of things. I've always loved Ancient History, Mythology, Culture (I'm a frustrated Anthropologist). I'm sure there are people on this forum that are GREATLY more specialized than I am, but think of me as a Jane-of-All-Trades of History, Archeology, Mythology, etc. I'm also a dynamite researcher/assistant, I'll rabidly chase down facts and present them to you if I don't know myself.

WebJunk - I have a good knowledge how to write html. That's about all!

Textile - I can sew, but mostly I modify things I find in the thrift store to my liking. I've experimented with dyes, re-sewing, materials, tailoring, you name it. I am NOT very good at it, despite having done it for years, a good patchwork quilt is about the peak of my talent. I was an awesome seamstress assistant, but I would be glad to help anyone with advice on textiles.

Makeup/Skincare/Haircare - I've always been that one girl everyone went to for makeovers, so I'm pretty good at giving advice on how to dye hair, what colors work well, how bleach works, the difference between doing it yourself and getting it done at a salon... I'm also quite good at basic teaching of how to maintain your skin (ladies as well as men!!!), from home-made to the expensive stuff. Also, I'm not a make-up artist professionally by any means, but having been in the Theatre for so long, and being 'that one girl', I've got much much much experience in application of make up, and have tested alot of different makeup. So I'm good for makeup-tips and brands as well.

I can also Cook (Americanized Finnish, Mexican, and Southern style are my current strong-points. I'm working on being able to make a mean Curry, and Fried Rice.), Have a good basic knowledge of herbalism/holistics, am a bit of a Movie Buff, Worked backstage in a handfull of Films and a TON of Theatre, Have lived and traveled America muchly (and London a little bit), Have a general academic fascination with the Occult, am a really amateur psychologist, and am part of a little, tiny, slightly lazy Paranormal Investigation group (just investigation, no cleansing or exorcising, its more of a project of a few cynics and some equipment.)

Links:

My DA Art Gallery - http://cinnamonandspite.deviantart.com/
My DA 'Stock' Art Gallery - http://spitestock.deviantart.com/
My tiny-tiny 'advice column' LJ community for coolstuff and such - http://community.livejournal.com/auntiewicked/profile
My now slightly defunct Role Play Message Board - http://sordiddetails.proboards31.com/index.cgi
PSI Investigations Message Board - http://cinnamonspite.proboards81.com/index.cgi
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 03:16:15 am by CinnamonAndSpite » Logged
Atlas Rune
Officer

I can do science, me!

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008, 03:34:16 am »

Graphic Design Artist- Not the best, but I know my way around photoshop.
Photographer- Although I seem to be best with a disposable camera and a good hike in the woods, I love photography.
Web Design- I can't build scripts from scratch, but give me an existing script or web page, and I can do a lot with it.
Game map designer- Preferably on a Source game, but I can learn mapping programs quick.

Just please don't force me to write...

"For an optimist the glass is half full, for a pessimist it's half empty, and for an engineer is twice bigger than necessary."
Luella Dobson
Snr. Officer

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008, 07:31:07 am »

Drawing/Art- I'm actually in college for graphic design right now.

I work mostly with non-digital mediums but I'm learning photoshop.

my style is based in shoujo anime style, but I'm currently trying to pull away from it; too many people do anime style for me to be happy with it now. and there are so many negative connotations that go along with it...XD

I'm not too familiar with a comic format, and I should be working on Poseidon's Fury right now, but life is getting in the way and I'm having to leave less important stuff in the dust. D:

still, I'm catching up.

My DeviantART:
http://ladyadokenai.deviantart.com/

Writing- I'm not an awful writer, as long as it's a subject I find interesting and have a bit of creative freedom to expand on the subject.

Photography- I live in Chicago, so if you want some photos of a certain area, I can probably get them for you. Smiley my Flickr account has my Chicago photos: http://www.flickr.com/people/23072476@N02/

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
JoMiD Cornea
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008, 12:36:40 pm »

Yeah, I'm up for it.

Photographer.
IT Trainer.
TEFL.
Live Adventure Designer (many many moons ago!).

Moral Support.
Kitten Brigadier
Silent Majority
Zeppelin Captain

I follow rule #9

ninjaelvie
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2008, 05:52:05 pm »

Graphic Artist

Editing skills (The proof reading kind)

Mind of many ideas and few put into play

Mediocre Photographer

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should, and let go of what you can't change. Kiss slowly, play hard, love deeply, forgive quickly, take chances, give everything, and have no regrets. Life is too short to be anything but HAPPY.

-{{xxoo}}<3
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 06:15:29 pm »

Tho at this point, I am a beginner, I am getting into leather crafting, and just received my first commission, tool belt and pouches for a carpenter friend. My focus will be initially, belts, cases and pouches, baldrics, and such, I intend to move towards Cordwainery, shoe and boot making.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you must not be very funny."
Sgt Alistair King
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2008, 06:17:28 pm »

Welder, mechanic and Lawyer

Don't tell me this is another experiment crossing lines that man was not meant to cross..
CinnamonAndSpite
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2008, 01:32:22 am »

... What an awesome combination!
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2008, 02:04:08 am »

Mr. Beeman,

If you have interests in the shoe-and-bootmaker's craft, I cannot recommend this book highly enough:
The Make-It-Yourself Shoe Book" by Christine Lewis Clark:

http://www.amazon.com/Make-Yourself-Shoe-Book-equipment/dp/0394733037/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204160319&sr=1-1

Not a traditional Cobbler's handbook but a wealth of information for the non-traditionalist, even at its current outrageous out-of-print price.

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD
Zeppelin Captain

The clockwork crusader of truth

« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2008, 02:34:57 am »

Well, Lets do the list, shall we?

Engineer[ing student]- currently a junior at Georgia Tech, Mechanical Engineering

Musician- Bassist primarily, but also play guitar, ukulele, piano, and a few other instruments of my own invention. see  here

Jeweler- I've been apprenticing for about 7 months under my mother, who is a master jeweler, so I can get just about anything done.

Fractal Artist- see here

Supplier- I have a LOT of clock parts and pieces, and I may be soon coming into a large quantity of watch movements and parts. see here. I have about 6 more movements I haven't taken apart yet as well.

Wire Artist- I don't claim to be good, but it keeps my hands busy when I'm bored. see here.

Idea man- I pride myself in my creativity and am more than happy to come up with ideas for a way to do something. I can either generate ideas, or evaluate them for plausibility.

I think thats about all I'm good for, and I'm probably not even all that good for what I've stated, but I'm glad to offer. Shoot me an e-mail if my services are required.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."
Sgt Alistair King
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2008, 02:46:04 am »

... What an awesome combination!

Thank you, I like that better than "unfocused"  Cheesy
michaelbeeman
Zeppelin Captain

Covered in bees!

« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2008, 09:16:14 am »

Ah, Good Captain, I thank you for the recommendation. Upon even a cursory exam, I determined the information was worth the expense and have ordered the very same. Thanks again.  Smiley
elShoggotho
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2008, 05:19:37 pm »

Photography, drawing (half-decent, enough for someone else to get the idea), musician (unoriginal, playing other people's works and singing), some basic soldering and the perusal of a dremel.
mythdude
Officer

« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2008, 06:11:56 pm »

When i looked at the thread subject, I thought that it would have something to do with communism...thus i was a bit surprised when it was about artists...good idea for a thread though, it is interesting to read what everybody's incredible skills are.

Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief.
Sigmund Freud
von Brasswood
Zeppelin Captain
Norway Norway

Master of Graphical Marvel

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2008, 07:08:49 pm »

Haha, socialized medicine and collective efforts!? Damn commies!

Wink
kallandar
Deck Hand

« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 06:16:34 am »

I too am a Jack of All Trades, strongest in the areas of singing, writing (mainly fiction), and drawing. I am a wicked hand at editing (in many senses of the word) as well
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: