Author Topic: Zombie defense/survival  (Read 108940 times)

Hyren von Henry

• Snr. Officer
  • Yes Actually.
Re: Zombie defense/survival
« Reply #475 on: September 01, 2008, 06:33:41 pm »
I'm still willing to give it a try.

How about one of those big anti-mine flails on the front? keeps the goo off the tracks.
Est. 1990

Vancouver Air Privateer

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Privateering off HMAS Landeythan
« Reply #476 on: September 01, 2008, 06:35:44 pm »
Well, If one tank won't do...why not get a few friends with tanks as well?  ;)
"Blessed be Science and her handmaiden Steam;
They make Utopia only half a dream."

"So he pulls an alternating-current taser on me and tells me that only the Official Serbian Church of Tesla can save my polyphase intrinsic electric field, known to non-engineers as 'the soul.' "

Drake White

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Airship privateer & clockwork technologist.
« Reply #477 on: September 01, 2008, 06:41:40 pm »
What possible use is a battle cannon against zombies? It goes boom, and few zombies fall down then get up again no real point.

And a flame thrower is even more useless, instead of a hoard of shambling undead clawing at you and everything else, you have a hoard of flaming shambling undead clawing and burning you and everything else..

Hyren von Henry

• Snr. Officer
  • Yes Actually.
« Reply #478 on: September 01, 2008, 06:47:27 pm »
battle cannon goes boom = blast radius takes out more zombies per shot than other weaponry. especially if your going for a headshot, because then you need a rifle, along with the ability to shoot the thing, and you can't fire them very quick + cannon has a massive range advantage.

With regards to the fire thing = If their close enough to burn you, their close enough to bite you, so how you die is pretty irrelevant at this point. again i think that if we're going of a headshot/decapitation scenario here, fire is a much more effective weapon. (as you only need to get them a little and their whole body is destroyed, miss with your rifle? you have to take another shot.)

KhaiJBach

« Reply #479 on: September 01, 2008, 06:52:30 pm »

With regards to the fire thing = If their close enough to burn you, their close enough to bite you, so how you die is pretty irrelevant at this point. again i think that if we're going of a headshot/decapitation scenario here, fire is a much more effective weapon. (as you only need to get them a little and their whole body is destroyed, miss with your rifle? you have to take another shot.)

if only it would work like that.... I point you to this information :

How long does it take to cremate a body?

Cremating at the optimum temperature (1600 - 1800 degrees), the average weighted remains takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Several more hours may be required before the cremated remains are available to the family.

and

Napalm reaches burning temperatures of approximately 1,200 °C (2,200 °F).

so. the need is to reduce the Zombie to immobile at the very least.. thats going to take around 45 minutes to an hour. (unless you can burn all the limbs as a targeted area, then your probably looking at about 15-20 minutes)

Hyren von Henry

• Snr. Officer
  • Yes Actually.
« Reply #480 on: September 01, 2008, 07:00:45 pm »
If I remember rightly, zombies are notoriously bad at rolling around on the floor or operating fire extinguishers. I think that a large spray weapon with a secondary igniter would be the best anti-mass zombie weapon.

firstly you would douse the zombies with the combustible fuel. Then, once igniting the fuel, retreat to a safe place, or indeed, simply keep traveling away from the zombies as they burn. My theory is that since zombies A. cluster and B. have no sense of personal danger, would ignite other zombies.

I think that the main objection to flame-based weaponry comes from the assumption that there is a need to kill these zombies quickly. If you are in a situation which requires you to destroy a swarm of zombies in a very short period of time, your buggered anyway and no amount of farcing around will save you.

simply put = set fire to zombies, then move away. repeat.

For small groups and individuals, I cede that a firearm would probably be more effective.

Vancouver Air Privateer

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #481 on: September 01, 2008, 07:25:08 pm »
Well, the point isn't to melt their bones. We're not going for a nice cremation. Heck, if you can just burn the flesh and ligaments in their legs away, you've helped yourself out a lot.

Hyren von Henry

• Snr. Officer
  • Yes Actually.
« Reply #482 on: September 01, 2008, 07:27:23 pm »
exactly!

KhaiJBach

« Reply #483 on: September 01, 2008, 07:40:28 pm »
actually my point was to show how difficult that would be. check the temps I posted....

A.G.Morgan

« Reply #484 on: September 01, 2008, 07:51:22 pm »
So, personal flamethrowers are out. But flamethrower tanks are in. Regular tanks are less effective, but still nearly invulnerable to the undead.
Axes, hammers, machetes, etc. are good for last resort weapons, but modern firearms are preferable because they allow one to keep to a safer distance.
Bicycles will work for less crowded areas, but S.U.Vs and 4x4s work better for getting by swarms, and armored troop carriers beat all.
Ships, airships, or even large boats are the safest option if you can find a source of food and provisions, as you can get away from the zombies all together. (zombies might not drown, but they can't fight the currant or hagfish either).

If you live near water, even just a navigable river, get a sail boat.
If not, armor plate your automobile and add an extra fuel tank or two.
If you can't do either, stock up on guns and ammo and learn to use them.
If none of these options are available to you ... find some way to make them available? Join the navy? Get an implant that will cause you to self destruct when your heart stops beating for more than 60 seconds so you won't contribute to the undead menace yourself? Do something!

Just try to be prepared at least.

Vancouver Air Privateer

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #485 on: September 01, 2008, 08:03:02 pm »
Somebody should get an airship and pick us all up when the Zombie Uprising occours.

Then when the outbreak peters out....Steampunks will rule the world!!! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

oh, but I'm not buying the airship. Too expensive.  ;D

akumabito

• Immortal
  • ~~Blast from the past~~
« Reply #486 on: September 01, 2008, 08:04:53 pm »
...tanks would be pretty useless though. Unless you're in the military and you have nigh unlimited access to fuel, spare parts, a maintenance crew and ammo. What is the ammo capacity of an M1 or Leopard tank anyhow? 40 or 50 rounds for the main gun? What is the maximum range of these machines? How much fuel do you need to get anywhere?

For anyone not in the army, a tank would pretty much be one of the worst vehicle choices imaginable. You can have your fun for a few hours squashing zombies, fire a bunch of rounds and watch 'm explode.. then it would just become a stationary gun post as you run out of fuel, and eventually you'll run out of power to run the aiming and firing electronics so it's be a really big and really heavy paperweight after that.

Besides.. assuming you're not in the army... where would one find a tank in fully serviceable condition, with weaponry and ammo intact anyhow?

...we're talking zombies here, no separatist rebels or whatever. The armor you need just needs to be claw and bite-proof. ;)

Drake White

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Airship privateer & clockwork technologist.
« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2008, 08:32:59 pm »
...tanks would be pretty useless though. Unless you're in the military and you have nigh unlimited access to fuel, spare parts, a maintenance crew and ammo. What is the ammo capacity of an M1 or Leopard tank anyhow? 40 or 50 rounds for the main gun? What is the maximum range of these machines? How much fuel do you need to get anywhere?

For anyone not in the army, a tank would pretty much be one of the worst vehicle choices imaginable. You can have your fun for a few hours squashing zombies, fire a bunch of rounds and watch 'm explode.. then it would just become a stationary gun post as you run out of fuel, and eventually you'll run out of power to run the aiming and firing electronics so it's be a really big and really heavy paperweight after that.

Besides.. assuming you're not in the army... where would one find a tank in fully serviceable condition, with weaponry and ammo intact anyhow?

...we're talking zombies here, no separatist rebels or whatever. The armor you need just needs to be claw and bite-proof. ;)

Exactly my train of thought. Sure having a tank sitting on standby in case the gun nuts from the town over try to move in on your compound is great, zombies are people not heavy weapons, so unless the zombie hoards are wearing power armour a cannon is all bang and no buck.

Anti-personnel is what you should be aiming for, and von Henry that's what automatic weapons are for. Plus fire is more hazardous to you than them, once their on fire its not just physical danger but psychological danger, flaming zombies are far more shit scary than normal zombies. Not to mention the stench of burning human flesh, not good. And its not just you being burned you have to worry about, it their mindless and burning anything they touch burns too, cars, buildings, infrastructure, potential supplies AND your fort/keep/castle/compound/bunker.

Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth

« Reply #488 on: September 01, 2008, 08:38:43 pm »
Landmines. Discuss.

Vancouver Air Privateer

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2008, 08:46:56 pm »
Claymores definately shred their victim....but you would need a lot for a horde.

Regular kind would blow up one zombie at a time...mildly useful.

You would need MANY landmines. At least the zombies are too dumb to avoid them.

I think using other traps with triggers would be interesting...

KhaiJBach

« Reply #490 on: September 01, 2008, 08:51:01 pm »
the problem with most AP Mines is, they are designed to kill the victim from below... very good at removing legs and shredding the abdomen.. zombies in most cases will carry on just dragging themselves along with their arms... (unless they trigger another AP and that gets the brain).

a mine field could be used to slow some of them down.. but I doubt if it would stop them in any great numbers - it would actually have the capacity to hurt the living far more.

« Reply #491 on: September 01, 2008, 08:52:23 pm »
Ah, but y'see, I've got these little white pebbles, and we're in a place where no white pebbles exist naturally....

And I, as opposed to them, understand the concept of a "safe area"

Von Gast

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Gentleman Racer and Explorer
« Reply #492 on: September 01, 2008, 08:55:51 pm »
I really wouldn't bother trying to get hold of a tank. For zombie bashing a few Land Rovers with underbody armour would do.

One thing - don't just fit huge tyres. They increase the risk of breaking something and raise the overall gearing. I'd like mine to be able to push trucks out of the way thanks...

Armydillo978

• Officer
    • Exploading Goat Games
« Reply #493 on: September 01, 2008, 09:25:12 pm »
the problem with most AP Mines is, they are designed to kill the victim from below... very good at removing legs and shredding the abdomen.. zombies in most cases will carry on just dragging themselves along with their arms... (unless they trigger another AP and that gets the brain).

a mine field could be used to slow some of them down.. but I doubt if it would stop them in any great numbers - it would actually have the capacity to hurt the living far more.

Perhaps resourceful survivors could borrow a cherrypicker and strap claymores (or your personal choice of AP mine) to traffic signal poles or lamp posts.  That way you'd get a bit of elevation and wider spread pattern.
----------------------
"Sometimes you roll the dice and come up with craps."

Hyren von Henry

• Snr. Officer
  • Yes Actually.
« Reply #494 on: September 01, 2008, 09:48:41 pm »
I'm sorry, you all stamped on my tank idea and now want to use claymore mines? where are we getting these mines from!? (rant)

Anti-personnel is what you should be aiming for, and von Henry that's what automatic weapons are for.

We're going off destruction of head/ brain right? In my somewhat limited experience of fully automatic weaponry (the more accurate rifles i'm used too are all bolt action) are horrendously inaccurate and usually underpowered. I.E the zombies now have allot of little holes in, yet are still coming for you.

A high powered, accurate rifle is the only sure way of achieving the desired bullet/death ratio, yet is slow to reload, and at best only good at 200yrds (after that, wind, earth curvature, thermals, rain, grass, lunar pull whatever cause too much interference, No doubt trained snipers can do allot better, with their shiny gizmos and years of experience)

best will in the world, your not going to kill the horde before it gets you, and shooting, running off, and shooting again will take forever (if your carrying enough bullets). No my friends, a big, burny solution is the only way forward.

Plus fire is more hazardous to you than them, once their on fire its not just physical danger but psychological danger, flaming zombies are far more shit scary than normal zombies.

No its not. I can operate a fire-extinguisher. + I'd take a somewhat grim satisfaction in seeing this evil horde that has eaten my nearest and dearest burn.

And its not just you being burned you have to worry about, it their mindless and burning anything they touch burns too, cars, buildings, infrastructure, potential supplies AND your fort/keep/castle/compound/bunker.

Again, theres the assumption that you need to have a last stand or something. as soon as i set them alight, I'm going to leave. as i said above, If i let them get close enough to burn me, they can bite me. I'm not going to pose in front of them as they shamble in flames towards me, I'm going to scarper.

Churchwarden

• Officer
  • Right then, shall we?
    • DKB
« Reply #495 on: September 02, 2008, 01:47:08 am »
Hyren, to each their own,  but I think you may want to take a breath and remember that survival is about defense, going over the top with big explosions, gas powered super vehicles, and top of the line projectiles will more than likely do more harm than good, as most of these devices take a great deal of time and training to master, and in some cases, more than one person to operate. Most people assume zombie survival equates to the best way to destroy them, and in some ways it does, but avoiding them takes less resources and put us all in less risk.

(try and remember before you get heated, it is all in fun)

Sean Patrick O-Byrne

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Belligerent Hairy-Bloke and Improper Philospher
« Reply #496 on: September 02, 2008, 01:53:50 am »
On tanks: Aside from the logistical problems, their main gun is not designed to kill the dead. What kills a man when not hit directly is the impact of the explosion, that is to say: preasure(Spelling?). The sudden shock of the explosion shuts down the organs in the core, as the body can't take the sudden change. It also makes the brain bounce around some, compress, but unless there is actual physical damage the zombie will survive.*

On mines of any sort: Mines are not designed to kill. Mines blow off a leg or two, they maim and cripple. The proper function of a mine is to send a countries soldiers home broken and useless. They now take hours and dollars of care by the state and their families. Enough amputies come back from a war, and a country loses the will to fight that war. Zombies do not have this problem. They loos a leg, or two, or their entire body except for arms and shoulders, and they'll still come after you. I would argue that they are in fact more dangerous when they crawl, as they are harder to see and more likely to sneak up on you if you're out of cover.

On fire, again...: A torch applied to the ligiments of a reanimated corpse would prove effective in a timely fashion. However, concentrated heat on all parts of a zombies body is unrealistic. It will take time. If time is not a problem, then yes, you can burn zombies to 'death.' However, if time is not a problem, I would argue that the fuel used to power your giant flamethrowers would see better use. Fueling generators, vehicles, for cooking, et cetera.

Fancy weapons sound like a lot of fun but can be difficult and dangerous and, above all, difficult to find. If you're own your own (not ideal, but in the zombocalypse, what is?) there are going to be a thousand things to be doing before you even consider reclaiming the world from the dead. If you're with a group, there will only be a few hundred other problems. I'd move that modern firearms, rifles specifically, would be the the most efficient weapon. However, it is unlikely one would be taking on an entire cities worth of a zombie horde without a fair number of mates, well trained, with a ridiculous sum of amunition.

~Sean

*I take this from World War Z, and my own rememberings when I used to be interested in modern weapons.

Edit: Damnit, Churchwarden, this is a serious issue! Zombies!
Well I've worked among the spitters and I've breathed the oily smoke
I've shovelled up the gypsum and it neigh 'on makes you choke
I've stood knee deep cyanide, got sick with a caustic burn
Been working rough, I've seen enough, to make your stomach turn

www.doctorsteel.com

Hyren von Henry

• Snr. Officer
  • Yes Actually.
« Reply #497 on: September 02, 2008, 09:18:21 am »
Hyren, to each their own,  but I think you may want to take a breath and remember that survival is about defense, going over the top with big explosions, gas powered super vehicles, and top of the line projectiles will more than likely do more harm than good, as most of these devices take a great deal of time and training to master, and in some cases, more than one person to operate. Most people assume zombie survival equates to the best way to destroy them, and in some ways it does, but avoiding them takes less resources and put us all in less risk.

(try and remember before you get heated, it is all in fun)

I am SO building a gas powered super vehicle, I shall call it a Zeppelin  and it shall rain fire down upon the undead armies!

If you wan't to survive, then a pistol and a shotgun are best, considering that you wont want to engage the zombie at distance and would rather sneak away.

Important Question  Can Zombies starve?

If not, and we need to re-take the world, then my gleeful band of areo-pyronauts will be just the ticket.

« Reply #498 on: September 02, 2008, 09:25:37 am »
Max Brooks' Shamblers don't seem to, 24 days' runners did.

And:

If you've going to have a zeppelin and can make beer, I want to be on your side when the world ends. I'll bring the knives.

Hyren von Henry

• Snr. Officer
  • Yes Actually.
« Reply #499 on: September 02, 2008, 09:28:38 am »
I have a home-brew kit. It works wonders.