The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 21, 2019, 02:28:54 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chicago reenactorfest?  (Read 2365 times)
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral
United States United States

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« on: December 30, 2007, 07:51:20 pm »

There's a reenactor's convention coming up in Arlington Heights outside of Chicago, February 8-10. It's a convention aimed at more serious historical reenactors so they do frown on anyone with fantasy/Scifi costumes or weapons attending this event, but any historic attire is welcome.

The venders' rooms are a place to find sources for accurate period clothing, patterns and accoutrements. It ranges from everything from Ancient Rome to WWII reenactors. It was a lot of fun last year and we'll be there peddling our period games again.

More info:
http://reenactorfest.com/

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
tempus_fugit
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2008, 12:19:48 am »

Hm....  That might be worth checking out, if I can figure out how to get there...  I actually live in A.H., but I'll be at school...
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2008, 10:04:14 pm »

Last year was a lot of fun. They had a historic ball on Saturday night where they taught dances from various eras, and when they finished the period dances someone talked the DJ in to playing the "Time Warp" from <u>Rocky Horror Picture Show</u> so there was everything from Renaissance ladies to pirates to luftwaffe soldiers doing a pelvic thrust. Even later in the evening a Roman Centurian was sighted doing the "Safety Dance."
Auntie Antimony
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2008, 09:46:43 pm »

Need any table help?
Oh, and will you and your lovely missus be attending our party this weekend? Kiss
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 12:00:37 am »

Looks like we have it covered so far. Our problem show is going to be Feast of the Hunters' Moon which competes with the MN Renaissance fest this year.

Party?
geraldduval
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2008, 02:04:46 pm »

groomporter, are you a reenactor? I do ACW, WW1, WW2 and VN myself...
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2008, 02:56:30 pm »

Yup, I started out with a 17th century group, but now I'm a merchant selling games from the past at everything from Renaissance fairs to Fur Trade Rendezvous.
Luella Dobson
Snr. Officer

The Chicago Steampixie

misshistory
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 06:15:45 am »

Can you go and not be dressed?

I do have an authentic hippie dress from the 1970s...maybe that would be okay. XD

I'd kill to see a bunch of people from different eras doing the freaking time warp. I'd very likely laugh my intestines out.

I'm a Jazzpunk.

General for the Study and Ultimate Disregard for the Laws of Universe through Strange and Ultimately Unfathomable Means
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2008, 02:25:42 pm »

Sure, being in period clothing is NOT a requirement -just more fun ;-)  They just make it clear on the website that they don't want fantasy or sci/fi costumes. There were some teenage girls in the hotel for some sports tournament who crashed the ball in street clothes but had piled their hair on top of their heads like a 18th century formal hairdo. ;-)

I'm debating what eras I'm going to wear this year. I wore a couple different 18th century outfits last year, I may go more 17th century. I'ld like to show off my English Civil War-era buff coat but it's a bit warm for indoors.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2008, 02:43:13 pm »

Here's the schedule of events.

LIVE EVENT SCHEDULE

Friday
3:30 - 4:15 - open
4:15 - 5:00 - Gallowglass Academy (Old World Western Martial Arts)
5:00 - 6:00 - Jesse Linder (Medieval Music)
6:00 - 6:45 - Autumn Tree Productions (the Renaissance Mercenary)
6:45 - 7:30 - Knights of the Bristol Renaissance Faire (GSM Bristol)
7:30 - 8:00 - open
8:30 - Holy Grail Game Show in the Paramount Ballroom (must show RF4 wristband)

Saturday

9:45 - 10:30 - Battlefield Balladeers (Civil War Music)
10:30 - 11:30 - Tourdion (Medieval Music)
11:30 - 12:15 - 1st Royal Rgt. of Foote (The 18th C. British Soldier)
12:15 - 1:15 - Brent Van Norman (Bagpiper)
1:15 - 2:15 - Ladies' Fashion Show
2:15 - 2:45 - Col. Webb's Band (18th C. Music)
2:45 - 3:30 - General's Press Conference (Grant, Lee, Custer & co.)
3:30 - 4:15 -Jesse Linder (Medieval Music)
4:15 - 5:00 - The Roman Soldier (Presented by the Roman 14th Legion)
5:00 - 6:00 - Belly Dancing Performance
8:00 - Reenactor's Ball in the Paramount Ballroom (must show RF4 wristband or pay $5)

Sunday
9:00 - 9:45 - Battlefield Balladeers (Civil War Music)
9:45 - 10:30 - Destiny at Appomattox (Grant, Lee, Custer & co.)
10:30 - 11:30 - Knights of the Bristol Renaissance Faire (GSM Bristol)
11:30 - 12:15 - Tourdion (Medieval Music)

SEMINAR SCHEDULE

FRIDAY
ROOM A
5:00-5:45 Order of St. Michaels (Warfare through the Ages: A look at the change in army structure and tactics from Hastings to Breitenfeld)
6:00-6:45 Kevin Hershberger (Historical Filmmaking)

ROOM B
5:00-5:45 Kate Henry (Who was wearing what,18th century lace)
6:00-6:45 Deb Foley (Historical Research on the Web)

SATURDAY
ROOM A
10:00-11:00 T. Steinbach (Civil War Battlefield Medicine)
11:15-12:15 S. Quick (the Hunley Submarine)
1:00-1:45 Kevin Hershberger (Historical Filmmaking)
2:00-2:45 S. Pasker (Interacting with the Public)
3:00-3:45 Order of St. Michaels (Warfare through the Ages: A look at the change in army structure and tactics from Hastings to Breitenfeld)
4:00-4:45 T. Hanley (From Pharo to Patton: Military Carrier Pigeons)
5:00-5:45 A. Miltich (German Automatic Weapons of WW2)

ROOM B
10:00-11:00 R. Laplander (The Wooden Horse and RAF POW Escapes in WW2)
11:15-12:15 K. Bergquist (Women in Reenacting, a Roundtable Discussion)
1:00-1:45 J. Foust (Discusses the 22 Days he and his Family Spent in the Wilderness)
2:00-2:45 W. Brown (The Mounted Living History Impression)
3:00-3:45 A. Metz (The Charles Wade Costume Collection and the Janet Arnold Connection. aka: Snowshill Collection)
4:00-4:45 S. Pasker (Cut the farb! How to shave with a straight razor)
5:00-5:45 R. Petersen (Period Cooking)

SUNDAY
ROOM A
10:00-10:45 J. Rowan (Reenacting Photography)
11:00-11:45 L. Greene (History of Corsetry)

ROOM B
10:00-10:45 K. Cieszki (Textiles Through Time)
11:00-11:45 L. Van Norman (Real First Aid Information for Medical Impressions)
geraldduval
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 11:55:33 am »

The carrier pigeon and straight rzor classes sound interesting. But i swear, if i go to another event and see people dressed up as generals I'm going to eat a bullet. Yes, we know you kinda look like tom fool Jackson, no, you cant be at a gettysburg reenactment, because your died this summer.

I swear to god, the reenactors who think that ust because they can afford it they can do it give the rest of us a bad name.

[/rant]

Anyway, more on topic, i'm sorry I missed it when it was in my neck of the woods in g-burg. hopefully it'll come back to the east coast soon.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 02:23:26 pm »

There's always occasional self-made general (or prince/princess from the Renfair crowd) at any event, but even the Renaissance fair people tend to be people who want authenticity over fantasy and want educate the public at their events.

My understanding is that the one in Chicago has been so successful that people out east wanted to have one closer to them, so as far as I know the organizers plan to have the one near Gettysburg in the fall every year.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2008, 02:46:31 am »

Here are Someone else's pics of reenactorfest http://http://flickr.com/photos/michaelsbagley/sets/72157603884851186/

And here are my pics http://s19.photobucket.com/albums/b160/Groomporter/shows/RF4/

We've decided the important thing about choosing an era to reenact is not the history, but which ones have the neatest clothing styles. -It's just a shame the Nazis had so many really sharp-looking uniforms.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2009, 05:13:49 pm »

It was just announced through Facebook that Jason Salkey (Rifleman Harris from the ever-popular BBC series SHARPE) will be the first ever guest of honor at the 2010 Reenactorfest in February.
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2010, 06:11:21 pm »

We went to the Reenactorfest Convention again this year and got a few pics
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=184235&id=673048898&l=aee180a7db

Splits the Clown went with us too
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=5338&id=100000652776315&l=1e23e60ad7
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 06:43:50 pm »

Here was the local news coverage of the event on WGN TV
http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/leshock-value/2010/02/reenactor-fest-2010-watch-the-highlights.html
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2011, 04:39:39 pm »

There are only 15 more days until the Advanced Discounted Ticket offer expires for Renactorfest in Chicago. Only another few days after that until the advanced discounted room rate expires too

http://www.reenactorfest.com/

Actually it has been renamed "Military History Fest" but it is NOT just aimed at the military end of things
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2011, 03:36:07 pm »

It's Sunday morning at the Military History Fest (was "Reenactorfest") convention. http://reenactorfest.com

Sounds like near record attendance, although our sales are way off so far from previous years but we're blaming the economy for that.

Next year may be the year to consider attending. Instead of a hotel they are moving it to the Pheasant Run Resort and Spa http://pheasantrun.com in St Charles, Illinois, which has a huge convention center. It's going to include an military vehicle rally, an artillery time-line display and space for full indoor "campsites" for military units -not just booth-sized displays, and space for twice as many merchants. According to the organizer the hotel rooms are going to be cheaper as well.

They changed the name to "Military History Fest" in hopes of attracting more of the general public, rather than just historical reenactors, but there is still plenty of presentations and merchants that are just civilian-related, and they plan to keep it that way.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: