The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
August 12, 2020, 10:53:39 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Natural History of the Air Kraken  (Read 33503 times)
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #75 on: October 19, 2009, 10:28:20 pm »

*Equips "research vessel" for air kraken "studies"*
Eddie Chaos
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #76 on: October 21, 2009, 07:48:47 am »

it truly is a wonderfull sight to see an Air Kraken attempt to mate with a windmill, that is how i lost the majority of my windmills but the memory is worth it

von Corax
Squire of the Lambda Calculus
Board Moderator
Immortal
Canada Canada

Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax

« Reply #77 on: October 21, 2009, 08:59:00 am »

it truly is a wonderfull sight to see an Air Kraken attempt to mate with a windmill, that is how i lost the majority of my windmills but the memory is worth it

One tried that with one of the Institute's airships a while back. The pilot happened to be running the stern thruster at the time.

Cogs, I am so bloody sick of calamari!

By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5838 km from Reading
greatestescaper
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

« Reply #78 on: January 19, 2010, 03:21:15 am »

I am currently writing a memoir of a recent capture of an air kraken.  The beast was nearly the length of nearly 50 meters.  A crewman aboard the ship suggested that, although dangerous, we should attempt capture during lightning storms.  His reasoning being that the flashes of lightning will help confuse the beast out of being camouflaged.  The two beasts captured in the past 8 months can attest to that.  We also employ the use of harpoons that amplify bolts of lightning in order to stun the beast.  Unfortunately our first capture was a failure.  The kraken was not successfully stunned and I nearly lost my ship in the onslaught that followed.  However, as the saying goes practice makes perfect and we did succeed in our second attempt.  I hope that within the week I will have posted my story.

"Your reality, sir, is lies and balderdash and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever." -Baron Munchausen
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2010, 08:59:40 pm »

First it was Brazil, now the air kraken are descending over Norway:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1246491/Was-mysterious-jellyfish-sky-caused-space-satellite-reflecting-Northern-Lights.html#ixzz0duNbhicF

Resurrectionist and freelance surgeon.
markf
Goggleologist

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2010, 10:01:19 pm »

So now they are both warm and cold adapted. Not good. markf

US ARMY-WORKING HARDER, NOT SMARTER. Steampunk Smart Car & Office Cubicle, Levitating Mossarium, Dive Pocket Watch; 1915 Wilson Goggles/Swing-Arm Monocular; Boiling Tube Lamp; Pocket Watch/Cell Phone; Air Kraken Augmentotron. http://sites.google.com/site/steampunkretrofuturedesignsmd
steamtastic
Snr. Officer
England England

"It starts with S and ends in PUNK..."

« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2010, 07:37:59 pm »

nothing but a harmless sky squid.

Each Man is in his Spectre's power
Until the arrival of that hour
When his Humanity awake -William Blake
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2010, 03:17:39 pm »

Flying Squid!
"To escape predators in the ocean, these cephalopods will speed away by shooting a jet of water. But can squid use that behavior to take to the air and control their trajectories?"

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=can-squid-fly

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2010, 03:31:57 pm »

Whoa, how cool is that!? Grin

Never heard of flying squid before..
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2010, 06:29:15 pm »

Because squids just weren´t scary enough to begin with.
akumabito
Immortal
Netherlands Netherlands

~~Blast from the past~~

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2010, 06:46:25 pm »

Because squids just weren´t scary enough to begin with.

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a... uhhmmm.... AAAAAARRRGGGHH!!!! *runs in terror, arms flailing wildly*
Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2010, 06:49:16 pm »

Just imagine standing on the deck of a boat looking out over the sea, when suddenly a squid comes flying towards you and wraps it´s tentacles around your head. Later a different creature will burst out of your chest and terrorize your crewmates, but that´s a different story.
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2010, 07:17:14 pm »

:3

please take a lil peek at the bottom note Cheesy
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 07:19:29 pm by PockyNightmare » Logged

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2010, 08:28:58 pm »

"Sign up to leave feedback"? Or the "fictional world" thing?
PockyNightmare
Snr. Officer
Germany Germany

i´m the terror of the skies but a danger to myself

http://twitter.com/PockyN
« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2010, 08:40:35 pm »

the fictional world thingy of course!
Mr Addams
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2010, 01:58:30 pm »

Flying Squid are the evolutionary missing link between the marine squid and the Air kraken.

Atterton
Time Traveler

Only The Shadow knows

« Reply #91 on: August 27, 2010, 08:33:16 pm »

Coming soon on DVD, it´s Air Kraken: The Movie.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=16327
saspac
Deck Hand

« Reply #92 on: October 03, 2010, 09:01:58 pm »

While on a specimen collecting voyage in the Orient we stayed with a charming French family (well some of them have to be) in Cochinchina. A chance mention by one of them led to a field trip to investigate the 'Vietnamese Kite Eating Squid'. Measuring up to 1 foot in length these areal herbivores normally feed on tree leaves, especially during the autumn which is their spawning time. We spent a week observing their nature and discovered an barren outcrop where they would listlessly rest, apparently chewing the soil before leaping back into the air with vim and vigour!
Subsequent capture and dissection of pre and post 'feeding' showed a secondary stomach where the rock was broken down by means of a powerful acid. Our host's son was something of an amateur geologist and recognised the rocks as nodules of haematite, the acid reacting with it to produce a lighter than air gas presumably Cavendishes Hydrogen.
I would not presume to suggest that these 'Vietnamese Kite Eating Squid' are related to the Air Kraken in any way but perhaps this requirement for metal to produce hydrogen for boyancy would explain the attack of airships?
I hope this sharing of knowledge may assist in it's own small way,
Saspac

Addendum:
I realise that I have not explained the name, rarely the squid will drift into more populated areas, in this region of the Orient kite flying is a popular pass time and the squid are known to graze on the kites! Sadly the autumnal breeding season also coincides with a magnificent night-time festival where large box kites containing flaming torches are flown to protect cities and villages from, well my best translation was Hungry Ghosts. Sadly the foolish creatures are attracted by the light, the warmth and the food and can cause some most horrendous injuries to the populous as they fly into the flames and vigorously explode!

St.Andrews Steam Powered Albatross Company
Supplying all your inter-airship multipassenger conveyancing needs
                                                                                            Est 1862
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2010, 04:39:12 am »

Given the temperatures at higher altatudes it only makes sense.

Anyone else happen to have radio problems around these beasts?

Cheapie Theatre
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #94 on: November 23, 2010, 12:50:46 pm »

Anyone else happen to have radio problems around these beasts?

Me and my crew did whilst hunting one of the buggers responsible for a series of wrecks which clogged up the shipping lanes for weeks afterwards. But if I'm honest the fact we were following advice and only closed with it during an electrical storm, and our use of electric harpoons may have had something to do with the radio disturbances.

I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."
Lazaras
Zeppelin Admiral

Have Wierd; Will Travel.

« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2010, 07:21:43 am »

A delightfully enthralling read. Nothing really to report.... Wait I do have a few bits and pieces from a few hundred years from now explaining about the revivification fo the then extinct air krakken by a Ishmail Vanderfwaffen or something of that nature... I'm terribly muddied on how to get the phonetics right on germanic sounding names.

Postscript: Bugger... just realized this wasn't my first post. Now i"m going to have to go back and get my time belt a retuning. Hate the idea of walking in on myself.

Though that has happened, from multiple perspectives, already... Apologies. Bit off subject.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 07:32:32 am by Lazaras » Logged
Jedediah Solomon
Snr. Officer
Canada Canada

If all else fails, get a larger hammer

« Reply #96 on: November 18, 2011, 01:14:35 pm »

Sorry,  but I feel very much like the proverbial "fish out of water" here, and I may seem quite naive, but what, pray tell is or are "Air Kraken"?

Adventure awaits
Inflatable Friend
Zeppelin Admiral
Italy Italy

« Reply #97 on: November 18, 2011, 01:56:04 pm »

What is an air kraken?

The bane of commercial flight, that's what it is!

Ahem..

They're a fictional (or so they would have you believe) beastie, the exact nature of which is open to much debate. Some say they're giant floating jellyfish, others say that they're a race of squid that leapt from the oceans countless years ago and now live off of bird life and the occasional aeronaut.

Regardless of what the air kraken is, it's as feared and talked about as the great kraken of the deep.
Madasasteamfish
A clanger waiting to be dropped......
Rogue Ætherlord

09madasafish
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2011, 06:28:42 pm »

"What is an Air Kraken"

Ye GODS MAN! Have you never seen the public information film 'Air Kraken: The Terror of the Skies'. As Mr. Friend said they are a strange species of high altitude dwelling cephalopod who have proven a serious danger to Air traffic due to their habit of attacking Airships. Unfortunately no examples as yet have been captured intact and alive, before being studied properly by sciencey boffin chappies (those idiots in Friends Of The Air Kraken (FOTAK) have seen to that). As such most of our knowledge is anecdotal, coming largely from accounts by airmen of attacks by the foul beasts, and the analysis of the bits that have been preserved and brought back to civilization.

Strangely they taste remarkably like chicken.
VampirateMace
Zeppelin Captain

Mein Hexapod

« Reply #99 on: November 18, 2011, 07:50:51 pm »

I'd like to point out a possible flaw in the classification of the AirKraken... reveiwing the accounts and images, I believe there must be more than one species of AirKraken, and if this is the case, each one deserves it's own unique classification.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: