The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 22, 2019, 05:17:02 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian Shaving... yes, some of us still shave with a naked blade..  (Read 34659 times)
Miss Miranda K.
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2007, 03:21:37 pm »

Good day to you gentlemen. I suppose I sha'nt be surprised to see that no woman has remarked on this conversation. Interestingly enough, I used to sell and sharpen straight razors as part of my trade, yet it never occoured to me to attempt the use of one in regards to my legs. I wonder if any women on these premissis have tried...
Ultimate Antihero
« Reply #26 on: March 23, 2007, 06:42:15 am »

Good day to you gentlemen. I suppose I sha'nt be surprised to see that no woman has remarked on this conversation. Interestingly enough, I used to sell and sharpen straight razors as part of my trade, yet it never occoured to me to attempt the use of one in regards to my legs. I wonder if any women on these premissis have tried...

Miss K., I must inform you that the practice of shaving legs only came in the twenieth century, with the ascension of the safety razor. Wikipedia's article has some more information, I believe.
kyriu
Gunner
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #27 on: March 23, 2007, 11:23:14 am »

Miss K., I must inform you that the practice of shaving legs only came in the twenieth century, with the ascension of the safety razor. Wikipedia's article has some more information, I believe.

I have notice of some girls using to shave a little bit upper. It is, as always, a question of context.

Kyriu

Cultural Instigator @ Radio Zero
http://www.radiozero.pt
Vincent M. Dantes Esq.
Officer

Draftsman of the Imagination

« Reply #28 on: March 23, 2007, 12:27:35 pm »

In the interest of modern... tastes, I feel it necessary to point out that, in the 1800's, not only did women not shave their legs, they also did not pilot steam powered automatons. In Our World they can do both. We must only adhere to historical accuracy so long as it's enjoyable to do so.

Sincerely,
Vincent M. Dantes, Esquire

Gentleman of Fortune by trade, Sky Pirate by nature. Habitual liberateur of all things valuable.
Maverick inventor and Captain of the H.M.S. Amaranth.
kyriu
Gunner
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2007, 12:30:09 pm »

In the interest of modern... tastes, I feel it necessary to point out that, in the 1800's, not only did women not shave their legs, they also did not pilot steam powered automatons. In Our World they can do both. We must only adhere to historical accuracy so long as it's enjoyable to do so.

I'll second that! Oh Oh!
Ultimate Antihero
« Reply #30 on: March 23, 2007, 01:52:45 pm »

It seems you misunderstood my point. It was not custom or historical accuracy I was arguing, but the use of straight-razor for a task that was devised as an additional use for the safety razor.

P.S. To draw a suitable example: one does not use a simpler instrument for a task that only appeared with a more complex instrument design.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 02:01:08 pm by Ultimate Antihero » Logged
Miss Miranda K.
« Reply #31 on: March 23, 2007, 05:49:58 pm »

Gentlemen, I must appolgize. It was not my intent to foster debate. I meant solely to ignite philosophical and practical discourse on the matter. For more years than I have capacity to recollect, my clients have extolled the virtues of the straight razor. I must confess, and I do so hope that you not think me a baser woman for beleiving so, that I find such blades to be beautifully crafted and of elegant design.
 I submit to the fact that while the naked blade is of cunning aesthetic, it is poorly suited to the task of navigating feminine contours. Alas, should I find myself on holiday in the Congo or conducting afairs on the cliffs of Olympus Mons, my choices for maintaining my delicate appearence may be few. When left with the option of using a straight razor or my field blade, I dare say I should choose the straight razor. (The field blade being not even remotely designed for the purpose of shaving ones legs, and  it is my personal beleif that to  use for such would be most unlady-like)
 By my own admission, modern mass produced blades are quite sufficient for the afore mentioned task, but possess no visual appeal or novelty what so ever. I do have a modest understanding of Victorian custom, (I should hazzard myself a fool for imposing myself upon your company were it not so!), and seek simply to ponder what may have been. Again dear sirs, It is my sincerest hope that I have not caused scandel, and that we may all continue conversation as comrades.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 05:54:26 pm by Miss Miranda K. » Logged
Ultimate Antihero
« Reply #32 on: March 23, 2007, 06:07:48 pm »

Gentlemen, I must appolgize. It was not my intent to foster debate. I meant solely to ignite philosophical and practical discourse on the matter. For more years than I have capacity to recollect, my clients have extolled the virtues of the straight razor. I must confess, and I do so hope that you not think me a baser woman for beleiving so, that I find such blades to be beautifully crafted and of elegant design.
 I submit to the fact that while the naked blade is of cunning aesthetic, it is poorly suited to the task of navigating feminine contours. Alas, should I find myself on holiday in the Congo or conducting afairs on the cliffs of Olympus Mons, my choices for maintaining my delicate appearence may be few. When left with the option of using a straight razor or my field blade, I dare say I should choose the straight razor. (The field blade being not even remotely designed for the purpose of shaving ones legs, and  it is my personal beleif that to  use for such would be most unlady-like)
 By my own admission, modern mass produced blades are quite sufficient for the afore mentioned task, but possess no visual appeal or novelty what so ever. I do have a modest understanding of Victorian custom, (I should hazzard myself a fool for imposing myself upon your company were it not so!), and seek simply to ponder what may have been. Again dear sirs, It is my sincerest hope that I have not caused scandel, and that we may all continue conversation as comrades.

Miss K., I'm afraid I should be the one apologising.  I certainly have nothing against you, and this post of yours that I quite certainly shows you in an even more positive light. Also, I admit I can understand why you would find the elegant simplicity of a straight razor aesthetically appealing. I guess my earlier posts should have been clearer, as being the way they were, they provoked misunderstanding between me and the other members of the board. I sincerelly hope that everyone can return to a more relaxed tone of conversation and forget my ill-formulated commentary on the issue.
kyriu
Gunner
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #33 on: March 23, 2007, 07:07:49 pm »

Miss K., I'm afraid I should be the one apologising.  I certainly have nothing against you, and this post of yours that I quite certainly shows you in an even more positive light. Also, I admit I can understand why you would find the elegant simplicity of a straight razor aesthetically appealing. I guess my earlier posts should have been clearer, as being the way they were, they provoked misunderstanding between me and the other members of the board. I sincerelly hope that everyone can return to a more relaxed tone of conversation and forget my ill-formulated commentary on the issue.

In my opinion the use of s straigh razor for the task of shaving legs is, for a pratical stand, not very good. Other appliances may do a better and quicker job, I do suppose (in doubt, test and report).

The capital thing of importance is the asthetical appeal of the object and the "ritual" aspect linked to its usage. As such, and speaking of feminine use, it is linked to context i.e., to the situation where the activity of shaving becomes more than shaving. Like having someone else shaving you (so to speak).

And so spoke, I remain.
Vincent M. Dantes Esq.
Officer

Draftsman of the Imagination

« Reply #34 on: March 23, 2007, 10:40:41 pm »

It seems you misunderstood my point. It was not custom or historical accuracy I was arguing, but the use of straight-razor for a task that was devised as an additional use for the safety razor.

P.S. To draw a suitable example: one does not use a simpler instrument for a task that only appeared with a more complex instrument design.

Ah! It seems I did! My mistake!
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2007, 06:29:06 am »

So I have a straight Razor. It was for a Sweeney Todd costume I did in 2000. So I pulled it out and....gulp....tried it a few days ago....it didn't do anything! Might have something to do with the fact that I've had it for 7 years and have never sharpened it Wink

The straight Razors from this site are REALLY expensive! I read online that you can get old ones from Antique shops....and they should cost no more then 3 bucks. There are things you need to make sure of, such as a clean blade with no notches, and a truly straight blade (it said blades that are wavy shave unevenly).

I just bought this:

Its kind of a cross between a Straight and a Safety....Its on its way, and Ill report back on how much I got nicked Wink

Also, I love the clunkiness of it.....its modular aspect feels kinda Steamy to me...what do you think? I hope its heavy.

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
Baron Verndorf
Zeppelin Captain

Mad Philosopher and True Gentleman

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2007, 07:18:01 am »

In my opinion the use of s straigh razor for the task of shaving legs is, for a pratical stand, not very good. Other appliances may do a better and quicker job, I do suppose (in doubt, test and report).

The capital thing of importance is the asthetical appeal of the object and the "ritual" aspect linked to its usage. As such, and speaking of feminine use, it is linked to context i.e., to the situation where the activity of shaving becomes more than shaving. Like having someone else shaving you (so to speak).

And so spoke, I remain.

Dear me, is this what passes for a flame war on the steampunk forum!? Probably a good thing Wink

Unfortunitly, my family seems unable to grow facial hair. At all. I am able to muster a scragily, rather disgusting scruff if i leave it alone for a good couple months, but for the most part, facial hair is not a option for me Sad Alas, but i will rarely, if ever, be afforded the pleasure of a strait raizor shave Sad Ah well, i'm still young, perhaps more will come....

You may be a mad scientist, but I am a mad philosopher.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2007, 01:00:36 am »

As a past user of straight razors, safety razor/blade, disposable plastic jobs (but not the vibrating, gazillion bladed equipment  Roll Eyes ) & electric shavers...I can honestly recommend using a straight razor & a very close second, a safety razor/blade to all you gentlemen.

BaB. A must for every gentleman's morning ablution kit. Is for him to acquire a decent stropping belt (for the use with a straight razor), thus to hone the blade when needed.   

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2007, 06:15:48 pm »

Intro to "Method" Shaving, Part 1: Concepts

There are other parts to this show.
Prof. Brockworth
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Choppy Warburton rides again!

« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2007, 07:39:54 am »

Ah! Here's the shaving thread.  Had to be one somewhere.

In summary: celebrating my new bathroom, I have acquired a straight-razor; having acquired the razor, I have now acquired a face which resembles the bloodiest field of the Crimea.

It's not like riding a bicycle.  If you haven't done it in ten years, you do forget.  Smiley

Miss K, I've been a serious bicyclist since childhood.  Back when I could wield a blade without filleting my face, I had a go at using it on the old pins as well (gentlemen bicyclists being known for depilating their legs for frankly tribal reasons).  Even with that degree of skill, the knees and ankles were a bit of a horror-show (and the sheer area of flesh takes the edge off a classic blade very swiftly).

Ah!  The bleeding has stopped!  Time to dress for work...

Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #40 on: September 06, 2007, 08:25:04 am »

I was in Joshua Tree a few weeks back, near Pioneertown, and we went to an antique shop were I found some lovely Safety Razors. They didn't have any Straight Razors however Sad But I was able to pick up this beauty for 4 bucks!

Fig. A

After a prompt cleaning, some very minor derusting, and disinfecting, I placed a new razor into it and I was ready to shave shave shave...and Ive used it ever since Wink The weird thing is, though, its not at all different then using a modern razor....Its very strange how familiar it is....it also doesn't give me a particularly closer shave then a modern razor which I thought it would...very strange.

But boy I sure like using it.....you just have to be careful not to go TO fast Smiley
boss tweed
Gunner
Brazil Brazil

« Reply #41 on: September 06, 2007, 03:40:54 pm »

does anyone have a primer on how to shave correctly using a straight razor? pictures would be delightful. I have a straight razor, but I don't know how to use it correctly.  Cry

--stop--
Vienna Fahrmann
Zeppelin Admiral
Austria Austria

« Reply #42 on: September 06, 2007, 07:38:21 pm »

I don't know if this is correct, or just my perception; but I found it much easier to locate & buy old-fashioned shaving equipment (as gifts for family) in Europe.  There were a lot of traditional apothecaries & toiletry stores there (usually small) where I could get shaving things, natural bristle brushes (for shaving & head hair), & the old-fashioned women's hair accessories to hold an updo securely in place (these have a lot of small teeth, very close together & are meant to be unobtrusive, rather than decorative). 

Vienna
Pheobsky
Zeppelin Captain

A Gentleman.

« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2007, 07:48:08 pm »

I was in Joshua Tree a few weeks back, near Pioneertown, and we went to an antique shop were I found some lovely Safety Razors. They didn't have any Straight Razors however Sad But I was able to pick up this beauty for 4 bucks!

Fig. A
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
After a prompt cleaning, some very minor derusting, and disinfecting, I placed a new razor into it and I was ready to shave shave shave...and Ive used it ever since Wink The weird thing is, though, its not at all different then using a modern razor....Its very strange how familiar it is....it also doesn't give me a particularly closer shave then a modern razor which I thought it would...very strange.

But boy I sure like using it.....you just have to be careful not to go TO fast Smiley

Although I have not been shaving for terribly long (2 or so years) from the limited range of razors I have tried I found that I like this style more than any other (unfortunately mine is modern & has a plastic handle, but it is the shave not the razors astetics that I am more concerned with)

There's nothing finer than going to the 192O's for a dance!
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2007, 08:39:54 am »

does anyone have a primer on how to shave correctly using a straight razor? pictures would be delightful. I have a straight razor, but I don't know how to use it correctly.  Cry

Ive found some good videos on Youtube, just type in "Straight Razor shaving" or "How to shave with a straight razor" or just "Straight Razor"  and you should find them.
Doctor When
Zeppelin Captain

Proud to have been the first Steampunk in The Chap

« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2007, 11:49:10 am »

I'd love to use a straigh-razor, but I can't help thinking that my carefully-manicured muttonchops would quickly become "wonky" at best. I can't imagine it's an easy job to navigate around shaped whiskers with a naked blade - at least, not without substantial practice.

Not poems and rubbish - SCIENCE!
Chief Librarian
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2007, 06:24:21 am »

Ive found some good videos on Youtube, just type in "Straight Razor shaving" or "How to shave with a straight razor" or just "Straight Razor"  and you should find them.

Not only is youtube a great resource for wet shaving howtos, there is also http://badgerandblade.com/.  A forum dedicated to the subject.  They seem to really know their stuff.  Straight razors, safety razors, the proper stiffness of a lather (with pictures).

I bought a straight razor at an antique store for $6.  I need to pick up a hone and strop and the local barber said he would show me how to take care of  it.

Their's not to reason why,
Their's but to classify:
Stefan Freestate
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Impresario of His Own Life's Circus

« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2007, 10:04:32 am »

They scare the bejesus out of me, to tell the truth. Maybe I watched Angel Heart at too young an age! Grin

But I would like to learn. It can't be that difficult, can it?
 Huh

Relinquo vos liberos.
Vincent Théière
Zeppelin Captain

The skull behind the skin.

« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2007, 12:23:58 pm »

They scare the bejesus out of me, to tell the truth. Maybe I watched Angel Heart at too young an age! Grin

Huh

Well, Ben and I are about to attempt to learn, so either we'll be able to give you some pointers, or Australia will be down 2 in its Steampunk count. Tongue
Stefan Freestate
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Impresario of His Own Life's Circus

« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2007, 02:06:38 pm »

Huh

Well, Ben and I are about to attempt to learn, so either we'll be able to give you some pointers, or Australia will be down 2 in its Steampunk count. Tongue

LOLzor, old boy, lolzor Grin ... shall I await the outcome, or parttake in the bloodbath certain to ensue?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: