The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
November 18, 2019, 10:24:38 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian Shaving... yes, some of us still shave with a naked blade..  (Read 34869 times)
deadsweetheart
« Reply #175 on: November 19, 2009, 02:58:29 am »

well i know professional barbers have at least 3 strops with 3 different grits that have been lathered into the leather.  make sure the blade you have has been properly stropped . alot of older razors ahve rather messed up blade from bungling around in trunks and stuff before they get to teh entique store  so its better to have someone professional sharpen it before youtry it the first tiem  and than strop it afterwords.            I own 3 ,   be very wary is you have a predominant adams apple , this will vex you for awhile . make sure to use good lighting .   if all else fails and the razor cant be sharpeend cause it has a chunk missing out of it or such and if you didnt pay alot for it , it makes a very handy weapon ( just put a rubber band around it so you dont put your hand in your pocket and get a rather painful suprise)

Ive also shaved with double edge razors from the first and second world war and still use a very old gillete those to this day.     razors for them are cheap and stainless but i beleive you can still get them inthe even cheaper and rusts faster blue steel.    my grandfatehr was a very frugal man and actually used to shapen those using mineral oil and the edge of a cut crystal drinking glass, he'd roll the glass along the table while holdig the razor along the edge and the slight abrasion on the lip of the cut glass ( feels almost like acid etheced glass) would sharpen it   
Clockwerk Wolf
Snr. Officer
United States United States

He's a right looney, that one...

« Reply #176 on: November 19, 2009, 03:47:49 am »

Well I made darn sure that the blade was fully intact and sound before buying it, the only intact razor I've seen the the local shops in over a year that wasn't ridiculously priced! Would a barber really just sharpen and strop a razor on request from a walk in?

aquafortis
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #177 on: November 19, 2009, 12:39:41 pm »

A quick plug for Invisibleedge - I bought a nice Vom Cleff from him a couple of years ago and was very impressed with the standard of sharpening.

As an alternative to synthetic hones a fine Arkansas stone works well, having a nice burnishing characteristic. Etched glass is another possibility, and laboratory razors for microtome use are sometimes sharpened on a glass plate with very fine alumina powder.

For a "sharpening" strop I use a wooden block with suede glued on, and a drop of Brasso soaked in for slight abrasion, and for usual stropping I've got a plain leather strop. This needs a bit of greasy dressing every year or so, but mainly hanging it in the bathroom keeps it soft.
Mrs. Coppernut
Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

« Reply #178 on: November 19, 2009, 08:56:38 pm »

My boyfriend still shaves with an open razor... It scares the hell out of me honestly, because that is one big blade. But he handles it very well. His shaves are somehow always even and smooth.
I believe he got the blade from his father, but I'm not sure.
I do know one thing. It's way more sexy than some vibrating automatic razor  Wink

Full speed ahead Mr. Copperpants!
Preston Ashcroft
Deck Hand

« Reply #179 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:33 pm »

The blade is marked "George Butleridge, Trinity Works, Sheffield England" with what looks like black plastic or possibly bakelite scales. Theres a small amount of rust and some scratches on the blade, but its still suprisingly sharp. ... Any tips on restoring this razor to full working order?

Here's what I found about Mr Butler, so the blade could well be Victorian.

GEORGE BUTLER & CO
Trinity Works, Sheffield, England
ca. 1848-1926.

There's a lot of information about restoring vintage razors at this site: http://www.straightrazorplace.com/
deadsweetheart
« Reply #180 on: November 20, 2009, 02:16:12 am »

if anyones interested in a good deal go here for a vintage razor   http://www.greatwar.com/scripts/default.asp    type in razor in the search query.     if you order thru them you ahve to send your credit card stuff seperately for security reasons but ive ordred soe things thru them and thave good original and repro products
Jeremiah Pauers
Snr. Officer

« Reply #181 on: November 20, 2009, 07:26:51 pm »

I'm rather glad that this thread was given the Dr. Fronkenshteen treatment.  It gives me a chance to add my appreciation to it.

Back when I was lurking, I read through this thread, and it gave me the inspiration to try something new (or something old, as the case may be).  I was still happily using my Fusion and the canned gels, but after reading through the thread a couple times, I decided to give the old fashioned way a shot.  I wasn't certain if I would like shaving the old way, so I chose to go about it in small steps, and fairly cheap.  I bought one of those cakes of the Clubman soap and a boar bristle brush from Waldemart, dropped it in a mug I wasn't using, and the next morning, gave it its first test.  Even with the Fusion, the soap gave me a better feeling shave than I'd ever had before.  I was officially hooked, even before realizing how long the soap lasted.

From there, I wanted to try one of the pricier brands, so I bought a tube of the Taylor's Eton College scent cream and a wooden bowl from Amazon.  I know that scent, but for the life of me, I cannot recall from where!

After that, I decided it was time to try a proper razor.  I looked around, and found a new Merkur HD on Ebay, and got it.  That was a little while ago.  I'm still getting my technique down, and I can get my face rather smooth, but I'm still working out how to do the same for my neck.  But each go with it draws less blood (no nicks at all last time), so I'm steadily improving.

I've also bought a tube of the Proraso cream.  It's rather nice, and my lathering technique has improved quite a lot.  Eventually, I'll invest in a badger brush, but the boar bristle is still doing well for now.

"Invest" is the proper word.  I've got some other things to save up for first, but I'll eventually make the investment required to get a proper straight razor and everything necessary to care for it, even though right now the thought of one of those things near me still sends shivers down my spine.

So, all this rambling has just been to thank the thread in general for giving me the idea to try something that I may never have otherwise.  The experimentation with different products will continue, and eventually I'll find what works best for me, but you guys started it, and for that I'm grateful.

Academic Librarian's End of Semester Mantra: "A lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine."
Preston Ashcroft
Deck Hand

« Reply #182 on: November 21, 2009, 04:22:47 am »

Because of this thread, I've just purchased my first straight razor - a restored 1890's Wade & Butcher, made in Sheffield. I've been researching blades, strops, brushes, etc and finally decided to take the plunge.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 04:25:08 am by Preston Ashcroft » Logged
deadsweetheart
« Reply #183 on: November 21, 2009, 03:46:34 pm »

yknow i met a woman a long time ago however she moved to CA but she did for a short time shave her legs with a straight razor and trimmed her nether region hairs with it too. she told me she wouldve shaved everythign down ther eif it werent for the complicated curves and the fact you cant see everything directly
SaintSeptum
Snr. Officer

« Reply #184 on: November 24, 2009, 03:02:56 am »

My lovely Bride tortured me all day saturday with dangled hints about a birthday gift, so when I arrived home from work she was kind enough to let me open it early:

A lovely silver box....

And inside....
This, from what we've been able to determine, is a Wilkinson Sword "Empire" model, which began production in 1929, and all its included sundries. That thing under the razor itself is in fact a strop, as this piece of hardware seems to have been produced in that space between the invention of the safety razor, and the invention of the disposable blade.

It came with 3 blades, still sealed in their packages.... I opened the roughest-looking one, to find the blade itself wrapped in wax paper and possibly a little grease... I assume so, as there was no sign whatsoever of rust (although I did have to remove some goop with paint thinner). The blades look less like razor blades as we think of them and more like small sections of straight razor blade, so I suspect the 3 it came with may be a lifetime supply. The razor itself is pleasingly hefty, and has at least 2 joints, one rotating screw/cylinder, 2 adjustable screws and one gear (seriously), lending it the feeling of a tiny threshing machine you shave with.

the nutty part?

After cleaning it up and stropping it (on my own strop, that one needs some love)...... I got a far more comfortable shave than I ever would have dreamed.

Let's hear it for craftsmanship.  Grin

-St. Septum
« Reply #185 on: December 27, 2009, 11:20:47 am »

I just stocked up on straight razors. Unsurprisingly, the two vintage razors (straight off the fleamarket) cost me more than two new razors and a strop on ebay. I bought both. The vintage razors need a full ride to the sharpener's shop though.
Mechanic
Zeppelin Captain
Canada Canada

« Reply #186 on: December 27, 2009, 12:01:16 pm »

Having a full beard - well as full as genetics will allow, my shaving is limited to harvesting stray cheek hairs every few days and cleaning up the sideburns. I use a double edged safety razor and shaving soap. Shaving soap is getting very hard to come by probably because one cake far out-lasts a case of the whipped cream sold to men now. I have found a fairly consistent supply at the drugstore (Chemists/Boots) located near our tiny Orthodox Jewish community.

Steampunk is in the eye of the beholder, in the hands of the tinkerer and in the needle of the costumer.
tomahawk275
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #187 on: May 22, 2010, 01:26:01 am »

I now own a Wapi. Although they are not being manufactured anymore, there are still some shops that sell this brand of straight razor.
tomahawk275
Swab

Canada Canada

« Reply #188 on: May 30, 2010, 07:36:46 am »

See my straight razor...
http://www.fendrihan.com/presharpened-dovo-prima-klang-extra-hollow-ground-singing-razor-kingwood-scales-p-965.html
made in Solingen
quite pricey but I'm very satisfied since I got the closest shave possible!
Seldon
« Reply #189 on: June 09, 2010, 05:37:21 am »

I, too, am a dedicated wet-shaver. I use an older Gillette Super Speed, with a boar brush and various soaps. I see many of you have had a difficult time finding supplies and such, so I thought I'd point you to another fine forum where you can find vendors, and many many friendly fellows for advice and tips. http://www.badgerandblade.com
groomporter
Zeppelin Admiral

HMA Todd, Combined Highland Expeditionary Force

« Reply #190 on: July 23, 2010, 03:10:15 pm »

Talk about primitive shaving...
Shaving with a stone blade chipped off of a lump of obsidian

shaving with stone razorsDQ

If a person who indulges in gluttony is a glutton, and a person who commits a felony is a felon, then God is an iron.
-Spider Robinson
eruannu
Snr. Officer

« Reply #191 on: July 23, 2010, 05:43:43 pm »

Talk about primitive shaving...
Shaving with a stone blade chipped off of a lump of obsidian

that like camping is intense, do able, hardcore, and reminds me of the quote about Boudica not shaving her legs.

“I do not think there is any thrill that can go through the human heart like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything.” Nikola Tesla
Greaser350
Snr. Officer

« Reply #192 on: July 23, 2010, 07:37:51 pm »

I've been shaving with a straight razor for the past four years, currently using a modern Dovo Bismarck (the spike point version) with bone scales.  Just picked up an old gillette doube edged safety razor though (brass with some well aged gold plating) and cleaned it up a bit.  Shaving with it is much quicker than with the straight, and a comparable shave, but I came out of the endeavour with far more nicks and cuts than I would like.  I suppose it comes with practice though, just like shaving with a straight.
richmantoy
Swab

Thailand Thailand

« Reply #193 on: July 28, 2010, 11:39:26 am »

thank for detail

Bines
Gunner

« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2016, 04:36:07 am »

Here's mine.

Straight razor- King Manufacturing "Porcupine". Probably 100 years old.
Safety razor- Merkur modern production of a 1903.

Both offer a fine shave, and at a fraction of the cost of multi-bladed disposable goo heads. Really, I don't know how we were ever duped into using those janky things.

pakled
Zeppelin Captain

Minions Local 305, at your thervice!

« Reply #195 on: March 08, 2016, 03:44:29 am »

I had one from Pakistan, bought at a gun show in the 80s..never got around to actually shaving with it. Probably just a cheap knockoff...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: