The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 20, 2019, 07:03:26 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian Shaving... yes, some of us still shave with a naked blade..  (Read 34650 times)
Sir Nazin Von Drala
Snr. Officer
United States United States

« Reply #150 on: August 26, 2008, 11:14:12 pm »

After reading all the talk on these forums of the joys a straight blade I have taken the plunge and purchased off ebay a vintage razor. There is a chap not 2 miles from my home that I can take it to for sharpening. My question is thus, what strop is recommended by the Gentlemen on this board?

The razor in question
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #151 on: August 28, 2008, 11:16:24 am »

Only $10?

And a sharpener in close proximity?

You lucky...

Still, that's a good score. I must watch Ebay more closely in future.
Sir Nazin Von Drala
Snr. Officer

« Reply #152 on: August 28, 2008, 07:05:04 pm »

I just looked for razors that were ending soon with no bids, I figured that those were the ones collectors didn't want and but would work for a daily shaver Smiley
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #153 on: August 28, 2008, 07:15:04 pm »

After reading all the talk on these forums of the joys a straight blade I have taken the plunge and purchased off ebay a vintage razor. There is a chap not 2 miles from my home that I can take it to for sharpening. My question is thus, what strop is recommended by the Gentlemen on this board?

The razor in question

If its that old, it will need a proper honing, not stropping, to bring the edge up to shaving quality..  If you've never shaved with a straight before,be aware that the learning curve is very steep,
and you will probably give yourself a few really good cuts along the way.
I can't stress the value of good lathering techniques, and proper skin stretching when using a straight....The chin and upper lips are tricky bits..
Good luck..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #154 on: September 04, 2008, 10:21:31 pm »

This arrived from the UK today...
Edwin Jagger Chatsworth safety razor in gold and horn..
I can't wait to try it out tomorrow...

Cheers
Harold
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #155 on: October 30, 2008, 04:39:49 am »

Update...
It keeps on getting better... Penhaligons...

Cheers
Harold

Alptraum
« Reply #156 on: October 30, 2008, 11:17:00 pm »

I don't shave yet - a little too young, but getting there fast- i am frequently reminded by friends and even a German teacher to shave. the idea of a cut-throat is very appealing. i live in London - does anyone know of a place where i can buy all of the necessary gear?
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #157 on: October 31, 2008, 12:45:04 am »

I don't shave yet - a little too young, but getting there fast. i live in London - does anyone know of a place where i can buy all of the necessary gear?

Great heavens, Laddie! You live in London.

Someone in London take him by the hand - Edwin Jagger, Trufitt and Hall, George Trumpter, Taylors of Bond Street... All beckon to make a devastating attack on your wallet.  Shocked

I'm on the other side of the planet and they do enough damage to my wallet, so I don't see why you should escape!!  Grin

There is no god and Dawkins is his prophet.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #158 on: October 31, 2008, 12:53:05 am »

I don't shave yet - a little too young, but getting there fast- i am frequently reminded by friends and even a German teacher to shave. the idea of a cut-throat is very appealing. i live in London - does anyone know of a place where i can buy all of the necessary gear?
Do NOT start with a straight razor, learn the basics of prep, and lathering, and learn with a nice safety razor.. A straight, requires a deft hand and some technique.
Plenty of time to graduate to a straight razor (and then you'll need to learn honing and stropping to keep it sharp and shave ready)

Cheers
Harold (and yes, I do have and can use a straight, was taught many years ago my granfather, who raised me)
« Reply #159 on: October 31, 2008, 07:34:18 pm »

Well, if all's gone well (which it probably has) I've got a straight razor on the way. I paid the princely sum of ten whole pounds.

Rather proud of myself...
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2008, 07:10:24 pm »

Here we go, then.

I'm told it was made in the 1930s. The etching obvious on the blade in the picture reads "The Hamburg Ring", and below that "Extra Hollow Ground" Indeed, the grind is remarkably deep. Etched into the shank on hte same side is the word "Carlton".

On the shank on hte other side are the words "Forged and real hollow ground in Germany".

The steel is obviously carbon steel, and the scales are apparently plastic, of some sort. This'll need a good honing and stropping before it's ready to use, and no mistake. Those things, and some quality shaving soap (I want sandalwood! Cool) are on my shopping list.

Not too bad for a tenner, eh?

On a side note: I went into Liverpool today, looking for some shaving soap or cream. I was saddened to note that none was obvious in Lewis's. So I tried Boots, but all they had was foams and gels from hte bottom of a Saudi oil well. I am disappointed.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2008, 07:24:03 pm »

Truefitt & Hill (UK) will do online sales... I'd suggest their Gratfton  or Trafalgar, but any of their creams or soaps are good.. A badger hair brush will work betetr at lathering than a boar bristle one..

Cheers
Harold
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2008, 07:28:19 pm »

Excellent.

Any recommendations on hones and strops?
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2008, 07:31:42 pm »

Let me see if I can find anything that would be local to you in the UK...

Cheers
Harold
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2008, 07:41:18 pm »

Excellent.

Any recommendations on hones and strops?

The beloved is going to look up the details as to where he got his when he gets home tonight.

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2008, 10:55:28 pm »

The "Executive Shaving Company"
http://www.executive-shaving.co.uk/shaving/straight-razors/straight-razors.php

Lists a 12K Chinese hone that should be pretty good for £34.99,as well as combo hones by Salter and some stropping pastes..

I'll keep looking

Cheers
Harold
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2008, 10:58:01 pm »

Lists a 12K Chinese hone that should be pretty good for £34.99,as well as combo hones by Salter and some stropping pastes..

I'll keep looking

Cheers
Harold

Excellent; thank-you. 12k'll be good enough, will it? Obviously, at that high grit, it'll hardly chew the metal off, but I assume it'll be sufficient to hone the razor to stroppin' sharp?

Strop, need a strop. They sell strops on Amazon...
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2008, 11:28:47 pm »

I'll keep looking

Cheers
Harold

Excellent; thank-you. 12k'll be good enough, will it? Obviously, at that high grit, it'll hardly chew the metal off, but I assume it'll be sufficient to hone the razor to stroppin' sharp?

Strop, need a strop. They sell strops on Amazon...

12K is the most common hone, and will do a very good job... Now if you are a fanatic a 30K Shapton, would be the ticket.

Cheers
Harold
Alexander Edmund Clough
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2008, 11:53:25 pm »

Can I also recommend an Alum block for post shave soothing?

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/ - does a honing service. Very reasonable price and apparently very good.

He also sells Belgian "coticule" bout stones for honing - apparently good, but pricey.

http://www.theinvisibleedge.co.uk/belgiancoticule.html

And he does a starter kit of decent soap, soap dish, decent badger brush, strop maintenance paste and an alum block.

I got my strop from the Executive Shaving Company (that HAC posted a link to) - look under "Tools and Accessories" - Mine is the large Dovo hanging strop
« Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 11:58:28 pm by Alexander Edmund Clough » Logged
Prof Eumides Blakehurst
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

Scientist by Training, Mad by Practice.

« Reply #169 on: November 05, 2008, 04:16:29 am »

The steel is obviously carbon steel, and the scales are apparently plastic, of some sort.

Probably celluloid scales.

This'll need a good honing and stropping before it's ready to use, and no mistake. Those things, and some quality shaving soap (I want sandalwood! Cool)

I've been eyeing this off for my next purchase - George Trumper Sandlewood soap...
« Reply #170 on: November 05, 2008, 04:52:50 pm »

I got some Taylor's sandalwood soap today. And a strop.

And I made 4 little knives, that I can sell and get a hone with.

A useful straight razor can only be days away.
Mister Griffiths
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #171 on: March 10, 2009, 07:45:47 pm »

My boss recently found an old straight razor in his attic and slipped it in my direction, as he knows I like that kind of thing (bless him!)

I'd got no idea how to go about using such a thing, so I did a little gentle research and discovered the existance of the strop.....so I thought i'd have a quick go at making one, using an old leather tool belt from work, some wooden dowel and some cordage. Sharpened the little chappie up on a fine whetstone (no idea what grit, its from my grandfathers shed and has no markings, but its smooth to the touch so I imagine it's pretty high), had a go at the strop, and it seems to shave rather nicely, after the initial nick or two!

Very satisfying indeed Smiley

"Me, lie? Never! The truth is far too much fun...."

"Tea, Science, and a better past"
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2009, 07:00:24 pm »

BoingBoing informs us of a source of straight razors and its honing service:
madaspen.

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
clockwork creation
Zeppelin Admiral

Rapscallion Smile

« Reply #173 on: March 24, 2009, 01:52:40 am »

i saw two safety razors in an antique shop recently, depending on price il be buying them on thursday

I am a freak in control not a control freak
Clockwerk Wolf
Snr. Officer

He's a right looney, that one...

« Reply #174 on: November 18, 2009, 11:22:35 pm »

I just purchased a straight razor from a local antique shop today, as I've always wanted to shave using one and my electric thingamajig isn't cutting it anymore. The blade is marked "George Butleridge, Trinity Works, Sheffield England" with what looks like black plastic or possibly bakelite scales. Theres a small amount of rust and some scratches on the blade, but its still suprisingly sharp. It actually came with a rather bedraggled case bearing the name of one "P.J. Smith, Jewler, Cumberland, MD". Any tips on restoring this razor to full working order?

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: