The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
October 21, 2019, 05:58:15 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian Shaving... yes, some of us still shave with a naked blade..  (Read 34784 times)
anomalie
« Reply #100 on: January 13, 2008, 09:13:49 pm »

Curious: is pubic shaving (for men or women) even possible with a straight or safety razor?

Sorry if that's an out-of-bounds question for some.
Jemima Annabelle Clough
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

When you're tired of tea, you're tired of life

« Reply #101 on: January 13, 2008, 10:38:20 pm »

Definitely possible with a safety razor, although depending on length you might want to trim first.

Probably possible with a straight razor, although the handle might make it awkward, and I'm not sure I'm brave enough to try.

And my apologies also if this is out-of-bounds for anyone.

Remember: Stressed backwards spells desserts
---
Fellow of the RS
Botanist and sometime adventurer
Wife of A E Clough
---
Flame throwing priestess of the really hot fire
aquafortis
Officer

« Reply #102 on: January 13, 2008, 11:23:12 pm »

sidestepping the previous two posts with a certain amount of fear...

... I can vouch for the sharpening skills of Invisible Edge - i bought a very fine Vom Cleff razor from him a few months ago and it worked extremely well.

For honing i usually use a Smiths arkansas stone, it leaves a very smooth and extremely sharp edge.
Prof. Brockworth
Snr. Officer

Choppy Warburton rides again!

« Reply #103 on: January 14, 2008, 12:16:35 am »

Curious: is pubic shaving (for men or women) even possible with a straight or safety razor?

You will need to pull the skin taut; the flibbly quality of that part of the body could cause the blade to snag otherwise.  I can't say I'd be the first to try it...

Recovering from pennyfarthing bruises...
Alexander Edmund Clough
« Reply #104 on: January 14, 2008, 12:54:14 am »

You will need to pull the skin taut; the flibbly quality of that part of the body could cause the blade to snag otherwise.  I can't say I'd be the first to try it...

No-one is getting a straight razor near my parts, I thank you very much!  Shocked
Mr Mockett
« Reply #105 on: January 17, 2008, 08:39:07 pm »

To put this back onto a DIY track, I just posted this to Instructables:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Razor-and-Shaving-Brush-Stand/

You can make your own razor and brush stand out of a clothes hanger. 
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #106 on: January 17, 2008, 08:49:12 pm »

Victorian Shaving.

Will I be doing this again?

YES.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

P.S. Fortunately, the cuts healed quickly thanks to the Alum block.
You might have missed Rule # 1 of DE Safety Razor shaving - NO PRESSURE! - let the weight of the razor do the work. Also, you will need to learn the correct angle. Hold the razor so that the top is against your face, and then change the angle until the blade just touches. From what I have rad, Parkers give a fairly agressive shave, you might want to look at something like a Merkur Progress adjustable, and work upwards from its mildest settings..
Also, different DE blade brands shave differently.. You might wnat to try getting a sample pack from one of the shave goods suppliers.  Feather baldes are killer sharp..

Cheers
Harold

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
nicorahiah
« Reply #107 on: January 17, 2008, 11:39:18 pm »

I've allways wanted to try it...

until i saw Sweeney Todd D:
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2008, 12:07:03 am »

To put this back onto a DIY track, I just posted this to Instructables:  http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-Your-Own-Razor-and-Shaving-Brush-Stand/

You can make your own razor and brush stand out of a clothes hanger. 

If I put something like that on the bathroom counter, my wife would cause me severe bodily harm..  Grin  (and it will most likely rust like anything..) I use a  plastic brush holder from Crabtree and Evelyn. DE razor stays in the medicine cabinet, along with the straight. Soap and shaving scuttle are in the vanity cabinet below the sink.

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: January 18, 2008, 12:31:56 am by HAC » Logged
Mr Mockett
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2008, 03:39:47 pm »

People never actually read the instructable before commenting.  The last step is finishing.  I left it unfinished for the picture, but the last step is most likely painting.  I used an enamel primer and then clear acrylic overcoat.

And I do hope by "something like that" you mean a razor and brush holder in general.  It is not an ugly piece, believe it or not, once painted.
Phineas Grey
Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Student of the Difference Engine Sciences

« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2008, 09:37:45 am »

I have a question, what does Henckel scale refer too? Also, what are the advantages/disadvantages of wedge and hollow ground  blades?

Yours,
Phineas Grey

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society."
  -- Mark Twain
Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2008, 11:20:53 am »

Hollow-ground blades can be made sharper for less effort, but go dull quicker.
Flat-ground blades take more time to sharped, but hold the edge practically forever.

There's a good halfway point; a half-hollow ground blade. The hollow grind isn't as deep as it would normally be.

Edited to say: I got an old (at least 25 years old, almost certainly more) Gillette DE yesterday, want me to post pictures?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008, 11:22:55 am by Sir Nikolas of Vendigroth » Logged
Phineas Grey
Officer
New Zealand New Zealand

Student of the Difference Engine Sciences

« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2008, 11:29:01 am »

Please do. Really, pictures should be posted automatically.  Smiley

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2008, 06:41:38 pm »

People never actually read the instructable before commenting.  The last step is finishing.  I left it unfinished for the picture, but the last step is most likely painting.  I used an enamel primer and then clear acrylic overcoat.

And I do hope by "something like that" you mean a razor and brush holder in general.  It is not an ugly piece, believe it or not, once painted.
That's not quite true, I did see the bit on "finishing"..  Regardless, it still would not meet approval from the "Dept. of War and Finance" for use in the bathroom.  The Edwin Jagger stands don't even measure up to house  rules of decor...My razors must live out of sight in the medicine cabinet, and the bowl I use for lathering ended up being a Denby, and even then, the colour had to be just right.
Cheers
Harold

HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2008, 06:43:48 pm »

Hollow-ground blades can be made sharper for less effort, but go dull quicker.
Flat-ground blades take more time to sharped, but hold the edge practically forever.

There's a good halfway point; a half-hollow ground blade. The hollow grind isn't as deep as it would normally be.

Edited to say: I got an old (at least 25 years old, almost certainly more) Gillette DE yesterday, want me to post pictures?

There might be a date code on the bottom of the top plate. Usually its a letter-number combo. Here's a link to a decent resource..
http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

Curently one of the nicest shaving DE's I have is my 1939 British Gillette Tech.

Cheers
Harold
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2008, 06:50:56 pm »

There is no serial number. Stamped into the bottom of the head is the Gillette trade mark, and "made in england"
It's in 4 parts, and to change the blade you've actually got to unscrew the head, take off the blade-guard, switch blades then put it all back together (5 parts, including the blade)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2008, 07:04:36 pm »

Sounds a lot like a Tech.. Pics would help date it, though..
Cheers
Harold
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2008, 08:09:01 pm »

There might be a date code on the bottom of the top plate. Usually its a letter-number combo. Here's a link to a decent resource..
http://www.geocities.com/safetyrazors/gil_ser2.htm

Curently one of the nicest shaving DE's I have is my 1939 British Gillette Tech.

Cheers
Harold

I am getting the legend:-

Sorry, this GeoCities site is currently unavailable.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
« Reply #118 on: August 14, 2008, 09:00:42 pm »

Epic thread necro!

I've reached a conclusion!

Hollow-ground razors are a load of tosh! A flat grind using the same dimensions (width and thickness) could take an edge equal to that of the hollow-ground razor and hold it for longer!

In fact, the only advantage a hollow grind has ovr a flat grind is that it's easier to sharpen. Nothing more.

Harold, may I ask a favour?
Alexander Edmund Clough
« Reply #119 on: August 14, 2008, 11:16:15 pm »

Epic thread necro!

Hollow-ground razors are a load of tosh! A flat grind using the same dimensions (width and thickness) could take an edge equal to that of the hollow-ground razor and hold it for longer!

In fact, the only advantage a hollow grind has ovr a flat grind is that it's easier to sharpen. Nothing more.

You know old chap, I do believe you might just be right!
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #120 on: August 14, 2008, 11:18:39 pm »

Epic thread necro!

Sure.. if I can help. ask away..  BTW.. There are GEM safety razors that use a single edge blade, They are great shavers, once you get the technique right (you need to keep the head flat to the face).

Cheers
Harold
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:21:11 pm by HAC » Logged
« Reply #121 on: August 14, 2008, 11:26:25 pm »

Please supply me with the thickness and width of the blade of one of your straight razors, in millimetres is possible. I intend to flat-grind one to the same dimensions to prove myself right.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2008, 11:36:39 pm by Sir Nikolas Vendigroth » Logged
Alexander Edmund Clough
« Reply #122 on: August 14, 2008, 11:40:27 pm »

Please supply me with the thickness and width of the blade of one of your straight razors, in millimetres is possible. I intend to flat-grind one to the same dimensions to prove myself right.

I know your enquiry was aimed at HAC, but...

*gets the calipers out*

Right. My Dovo, full hollow grind

Spine = 4.45mm
Just behind the edge = 0.12mm - I'm not going to try and get right on the edge - I shave with this after all!
« Reply #123 on: August 14, 2008, 11:43:59 pm »

And the width of the blade?

Hang on, 4.45mm?

And you hone and strop is with the back of the hollow grind on hte same line as the cutting edge...? That's...epically thick. I expected they'd be thinner at the spine...
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #124 on: August 14, 2008, 11:49:53 pm »

I'll get on it.. Thickness at spine and edge?  However, there are flat ground straight razors as well. Both shave well, if correctly sharpened. The main difference is that one can produce a thinner edge with the hollow grind, and thus it will require less honing  for sharpening, and it will be more flexible during shaving.. I have an old plastic handled Chinese made $10.00 straight, and its flat ground at the edge. Bothe razors (the Dorko, hollow ground) and the flat ground one have the same blade profile, its just the final edge that is different..  FYI.. my Dorko is a 5/8 razor meaning the blade is 5/8" wide..I'll measure the thickness if I can..

Wiki has a great article on razor construction...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straight_Razor#Grinding_method

"The second category refers to the type of grinding method used and, since it affects the curvature of the blade cross section, includes the following two main types of blade grinds:[21]

Flat or straight grind, indicating that the sides of the blade cross section are linear. This cross section most closely resembles a wedge and therefore this blade is sometimes called the wedge.[9][21]
Hollow grind, indicating that the sides of the blade cross section are concave.
The combination of the types found in these two classification categories can, in theory, lead to a wide variety of blade types such as round point hollow ground, square point flat ground etc., but in practice some points are combined with a specific grind. As an example, a French point blade is usually flat ground.

For a blade to be most effective in cutting it must be as thin as possible. Therefore the grinding method that removes the most material from the blade, without compromising blade integrity, is to be preferred. A hollow grind produces a thinner blade than the flat grind because it removes more material from the blade (hollows or thins the blade more) and is generally considered a more effective (and expensive) method.In fact some high-end razor manufacturers limit their production exclusively to hollow ground razors."

"Flat ground razors are very stable and as such they can handle tough shaving jobs since they do not easily deform under pressure and they can take rough handling such as heavy stropping and honing"

Cheers
Harold

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: