The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
September 17, 2019, 03:35:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Brassgoggles.co.uk - The Lighter Side Of Steampunk, follow @brasstech for forum technical problems & updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Victorian Shaving... yes, some of us still shave with a naked blade..  (Read 34636 times)
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« on: March 11, 2007, 10:04:28 pm »

Just thought I'd share a pic of one of my striaght razors.. This one is from the late 1950's and was the one I was taught to shave with by my grandfather (ex British Cavalry).. There's some staining, and its got a bit of wear, but its good steel, and still shaves as well as my newer feather or Dovo Razors.  For those days when I need a quciker shave, I use a classic Merkur "Hefty Clasic" safety razor. Shaving brush is a  Rooney  Style 1, Medium, badger hair, and the shaving cream is either the Itallian Proraso, or the English Trumpers Sandalwood. The Proraso is great in warm weather, has eucalyptus oil in it, and  really cools the skin when you rinse it off. The Trumpers is pure magic, though..

Cheers
Harold

PS.. the background is a MouseRug..

You never know what lonesome is , 'til you get to herdin' cows.
Ultimate Antihero
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 10:11:31 pm »

I say, that's a fine razor you've got there.

I've always wondered what it feels like to shave with a real straight razor.
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer
United States United States

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2007, 10:12:40 pm »

HAC, that is gorgeous!
Shaving with a straight razor scares me silly, I must say. Though my barber here locally still does it, and I've been promising myself that I'd indulge sometime soon.
I love using a cup and brush to lather up, though!

"I replied that only <i>lost</i> causes were of any interest to a gentleman..."
Jorge Luis Borges "The Shape of the Sword"

Official Engraver of the Imperial Stamps of the Duchy of McIntyre
The Grand Duchess
Snr. Officer
Patior Sed Supervivo

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2007, 10:13:03 pm »

I happen to have a love of masculine accouterments.  I indulge my interest by buying items for my amour; a few years ago I gifted him with a straight razor. I bought his at the Art of Shaving in New York. http://www.theartofshaving.com/taos6/group.php?group=10&cat=3

He says that using it is wonderful.  I think he uses it several times a week.  I think he uses AoS's cream; I'm not sure.  When he moves in In a few weeks, or so he is saying), I shall find out.

A true alternative subculture is one that not only questions the social status quo but poses viable solutions to some of the perceived underlying problems. Difference from the norm is not the same as superiority to the mainstream unless it can be  argued that the difference is positing a better way.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2007, 10:18:56 pm »

Well. its hard to descirbe, but if the thing is properly sharp, and you have figured out where all the bumps on your face that you need to work around, its a very odd feeling, no real drag or scraping. the weirdest thing is the sound of the whiskers popping of the edge of the blade as their cut.
  You will nick yourself learning, I know I did. The real key is keeping tehr azor well honed. A dull razor gives you razor burn and irritation..
Cheers
Harold
Honky-Tonk Dragon
Snr. Officer

Scootin' through a West that Ne'er Was...

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2007, 10:21:49 pm »

And from what I hear, there is no comparison to other shaving methods... done with practiced hands, it is the cleanest, smoothest shave you'll ever have, and it takes lasts longer, too. Just what I've heard.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2007, 10:28:39 pm »

And from what I hear, there is no comparison to other shaving methods... done with practiced hands, it is the cleanest, smoothest shave you'll ever have, and it takes lasts longer, too. Just what I've heard.

That's true, I can almost skip a day shaving with the straight razor, while the Merkur is a daily shave..
Cheers
Harold
kyriu
Gunner
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2007, 10:59:44 pm »

Smiley

I also use a blade, Filarmonica, a spanish company that is out of business right now. For foam I do advise you to look for Musgo Real (it's portuguese and the best. developed for the portuguese aristocracy of the late XIX century).

There's also a forum somewhere for people who shave with mug and blade.

What do you use as after shave? I used a wonderfull gel but it wen't out of production and I'm looking for a replacement...

Kyriu

Cultural Instigator @ Radio Zero
http://www.radiozero.pt
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2007, 11:04:33 pm »

Aftershave is also Proraso.. (I get it locally at a little Italian supermarket)
I will definitely look into yoru suggestion of Musgo Real, sounds bery interesting
Cheers
Harold
Tinkergirl
Brass Goggles Curator
Founders
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2007, 12:44:26 am »

My gentleman friend doesn't use a straight razor, but he does use a brush and almond-based shaving soap from The English Shaving Company.  I have no complaints.
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2007, 02:17:44 am »

This writer prefers a daily shave by the skilled hands of a Turkish barber. Failing that luxury, von Zarkov favours the Lehman's range of shaving accessories:

http://www.lehmans.com/jump.jsp?itemID=731&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=680&iSubCat=731&i1Cat=680&i2Cat=730&i3Cat=0&i4Cat=731&page=1&defaultDisplay

"The fact that I wear the protective coloration of sedate citizenship is a ruse of the fox — I learned it long ago."
– Loren Eiseley
Caffeinated Gent
Snr. Officer
Do you feel lucky, steamPunk? Good.

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2007, 02:36:15 am »

In my travels to Malaya, I found the straight razor much used among the native barbers.

The first time I shaved my head was in Malaysia, and when I went to the barber to get it neatened up, he used a straight razor on my head and sideburns.

It was ever so slightly hair raising, but not unenjoyable  Wink
CapnHarlock
Zeppelin Overlord

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2007, 03:02:15 am »

In my youth, I used a straight razor from some un-remembered Solingen manufactory, but now, my beard is older than many of my new friends here. (36 years in September.) I do enjoy a good bladesmith work, though.

A hint for those who wish to experiment with straight razors, - find a local barber of "a certain age" (one who calls
himself a barber, not a hair stylist) and ask the simple question "have you got any old razors you want to sell?"

These gents tend to be "tool geeks" and often have drawers full of very high-quality equipment that just "aren't quite perfect" to their hand. One can sometimes find a very high-priced razor for the cost of a disposable, and you do a service by helping "clean house"

Jeremiah Cornelius Harlock
At Your Service

"It's so hard to know if you're bound for a fall,
But better to have tripped than never danced at all."
"Dancing Under The Rose" - The Albion Band.
The Infernal Mr Adams
Zeppelin Captain

A Weird Westerner, His Own Damn Self

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2007, 04:02:57 am »

Ive been wanting to use a Safety Razor for a while now, Im scared of straight razors though, gulp....Im pretty clumsy  Undecided

But you can use a straight razor and still be classic Wink

Signed,
Mr. M___ E_____ Adams
Tinkerer, Adventurer, Man of Leisure, Weird Westerner, and Cad
18--
phantomradio
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2007, 04:30:55 am »

Beautiful blade. Alas, I only shave with a Merkur Futura and Proraso. The Proraso is quite an excellent cream. I have an extremely sensitive face, and went through numerous disposable and electric razors. It was not until I learned the joys and advantages of the older shaving methods that my constant razor burn and bumps went away. I plan on converting to straight edge sometime in the next year, or whenever the funds become available.
Ultimate Antihero
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 09:40:08 am »

Well. its hard to descirbe, but if the thing is properly sharp, and you have figured out where all the bumps on your face that you need to work around, its a very odd feeling, no real drag or scraping. the weirdest thing is the sound of the whiskers popping of the edge of the blade as their cut.
  You will nick yourself learning, I know I did. The real key is keeping tehr azor well honed. A dull razor gives you razor burn and irritation..
Cheers
Harold

Thank you, I will do my best to remember this information just in case I get a straight razor someday.
kyriu
Gunner
Portugal Portugal

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 11:01:13 am »

Not to forget that in this Brave New World of ours using a straight razor is the Ecological option to go Wink

If you use a straigh razor maybe you also indulge yourself in shaving at the sound of music! What do you listen to? I must acert it should be Italian Opera played in a gramaphone or, to the more modern, a turntable.
OHebel Wring
Snr. Officer
The world is only 80 days away.

« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 01:51:54 pm »

when I was in India, I had a man cut and style my hair, and give me a straight-razor shave for about a quarter.

I honestly wouldn't trust me with the thing.

“The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes. “
-Sherlock Holmes
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 03:51:45 pm »

Not to forget that in this Brave New World of ours using a straight razor is the Ecological option to go Wink

If you use a straigh razor maybe you also indulge yourself in shaving at the sound of music! What do you listen to? I must acert it should be Italian Opera played in a gramaphone or, to the more modern, a turntable.

Firts thing is to make sure the cats aren't around, trying to help.. Music in the AM, is whatever classical stuff CBNC is playing at the moment..
Cheers
Harold
MrFats
Snr. Officer

Heretic Chronogadgeteer

« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2007, 02:05:01 am »

I read the thread, and I wanted to know if anyone had the young boy's shaving toy? I don't recall, but I am certain it was made by Fischer Price...it had a fake razor, old style brush and stand, with a little container that would have had shaving cream...I remember using it as a child, pretending to shave, and, now that I think back, it was the first truly Victorian-type item I had.

Fueled by coffee, powered by steam
Scientist, philosopher, photographer, writer
Kabuki
Snr. Officer

My physician claims there is something wrong...

« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2007, 11:33:55 pm »

First thing is to make sure the cats aren't around, trying to help..

Yep...  I have a scar from where I was shaving with an electric unit and my adolescent cat was brought in close by my wife.  He attempted to attack said shaver with razor sharp kitten claws, and sliced open my upper lip in three places.

That said, judging from the experiences portrayed here...  My ultra-sensitive face and I need to try a straight razor shave sometime.

The only thing more important that squashing one's foe, is doing so with style and panache... - Jake of All Trades

Join the fun here: http://www.b
Vincent M. Dantes Esq.
Officer

Draftsman of the Imagination

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2007, 10:17:55 am »

In my youth, I used a straight razor from some un-remembered Solingen manufactory, but now, my beard is older than many of my new friends here. (36 years in September.) I do enjoy a good bladesmith work, though.

A hint for those who wish to experiment with straight razors, - find a local barber of "a certain age" (one who calls
himself a barber, not a hair stylist) and ask the simple question "have you got any old razors you want to sell?"

These gents tend to be "tool geeks" and often have drawers full of very high-quality equipment that just "aren't quite perfect" to their hand. One can sometimes find a very high-priced razor for the cost of a disposable, and you do a service by helping "clean house"

That is a positively brilliant idea! Hats off to you, sir! I've been searching high and low in my area for a straight razor, and all I've managed to some across were several ancient jagged relics (that gave me nightmares upon contemplation of their application to my face) and several terribly tacky models that were in slightly better condition, though all of them were for sale at absurdly high prices. But I'd only been looking in antique stores; all of them seem to carry the exact same six rusted implements of destruction, or epidermal tissue disruptors, to quote one of my favorite Disney films.

Sincerely,
Vincent M. Dantes, Esquire

Gentleman of Fortune by trade, Sky Pirate by nature. Habitual liberateur of all things valuable.
Maverick inventor and Captain of the H.M.S. Amaranth.
Fantômas
Snr. Officer
Netherlands Netherlands

As many steps ahead of this claim as I want to be.

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2007, 10:23:29 am »

Ive been wanting to use a Safety Razor for a while now, Im scared of straight razors though, gulp....Im pretty clumsy  Undecided

But you can use a straight razor and still be classic Wink

i use a single blade safety, with a 1930's handle, it works just fine, and the blades are cheap.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 07:01:15 am by Fantômas » Logged

" 'I' Is For 'Infamy' "
Dr von Zarkov
Zeppelin Captain

<Maddest Scientist>

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2007, 01:11:24 am »

CapnHarlock and young Squire Dantes discuss obtaining "cut-throats" from older barbers. My own barber, a young man, agreed to order me a straight razor from his supply house. If one merely enjoys the appearance of the old cut-throat, be advised that there are some models which use replaceable blades.
HAC
Steam Theologian
Zeppelin Overlord
Canada Canada

HAC_N800
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2007, 01:15:19 am »

A good brand of "replaceable" blade straights is Feather. I don't have one, but the balance is supposed to be excellent..
Some info here:
http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/1240646.htm

Cheers
Harold
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: