The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 29, 2020, 12:49:25 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Bufonidae Specimen Box (or, 'what i actually put in my sealed mahogany box')  (Read 11501 times)
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain
United Kingdom United Kingdom

i don't like cogs, gears, goggles or tesla

« on: November 29, 2007, 04:51:33 pm »

This specimen of Duttaphrynus Melanostictus (The Black-Spined Toad) was collected from a small colony inexplicably living on the Scottish island of Helscar in the summer of 1898 by the re-known naturalist Gen. Percival Farquhard.  The Black-Spined Toad is a native of Southern Asia, where it normally thrives in the humid monsoon season.  The anomalous colony of toads numbered in the twenties, all of which have now perished or been collected for study and distributed to centers of knowledge across the empire.
Contained within this box is the partially disarticulated skeleton of one of these rogue bufonidae, along with a pamphlet written by Gen. Farquhard on the re-articulation of the specimen.

This piece is of outstanding provenance,  sold by Percival Farquhard to the Imperial Bureau of Information in 1899 and housed there for many years before being transferred to the Stanhope Foundation in 1944.  Upon the closing of the Foundation in 1972, it was purchased from a private auction by myself and it has remained in my collection until today.

upon opening the box, you are greeted by the pamphlet titled Re-Articulating your Bufonidae by General P. Farquhard.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

after removing the pamphlet you are free to investigate the contents at your leisure.

finally, i present to you an extract from the booklet

(the true story of the box is... this is a specimen box i was commissioned to make a few months ago. unfortunately the girlfriend of the commissioner decided that she didnt like the idea of having a skeleton in their house and 'encouraged' him to pull out of the deal.  i continued to work on the box inbetween other jobs, until i finished it this morning)

i put a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=3505.0">head in a tank</a> and a <a href="http://www.brassgoggles.co.uk/bg-forum/index.php?topic=5309.0">toad in a box</a>, now i'm putting _____ into a ______
Cornelius Sagan
Officer
Spain Spain

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 05:06:07 pm »

Superb piece ...
I feel great envy for his beautiful work. Wink

Please ... could indicate how the bones are composed of copy.
(You will forgive me for my English ... it is made in google).

Cornelius Sagan.

Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD
Zeppelin Captain
United States United States

The clockwork crusader of truth

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 05:11:08 pm »

Indeed. well done!

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."
junkdrawer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 05:13:56 pm »

Very nice work. Very authentic feel and excellent composition.
WisconsinPlatt
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 06:32:18 pm »

ByJ ol Chap.  Well done.

Did you make the box or is it a found object?  It looks like it was made for that presentation, but it looks authentically old.  I'm impressed either way.
spcglider
Officer

Fifty characters isn't enough to write my message!

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 07:21:50 pm »

Absolutely stunning!  I don't know if I want to show this to my wife (Wildlife major and Natural History museum curator)... she'll probably beg me to buy it from you or lobby me to build one for her!  But this is EXACTLY the kind of cool stuff she's into.

Once again, absolutely stunning.

-Gordon

Professor Gordon Elias Weatherbee, Tinker and Time Travel Machine Repair. All models serviced.
Contessa Ellen Graves
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 07:24:40 pm »

I feel sorry for the chap who pulled out of the deal! What a thing to miss, that truly is a lovely little artifact. Were I not astoundingly poor at the moment, I'd be tempted to negotiate for something similar for myself.
I don't understand females who get so very squeamish about things like skeletons. There are already at least two in her house- one in her, one in him. One more little one hardly makes any difference!
Saphyra
Snr. Officer

Femineer

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 07:49:21 pm »

Very cool. I can't imagine why the lady would be squeamish about that being in her home. Your box gave me the final idea of what to do with the tactile end of my Mound Builders and The Davenport Conspiracy project.

"And here for the first time in my life I saw my beloved Mississippi River, dry in the summer haze, low water, with its big rank smell like the raw body of America itself." Jack Kerouac ~ 'On the Road'

Oh how I long to return to my Mighty Mississippi River.
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2007, 02:47:26 pm »

thanks everyone Smiley glad you all like it and even happier that it has inspired some of you Smiley

Cornelius Sagun: the bones are all real ones from the species described in the text.  i guess i could've made them out of something like scuply or DAS air-clay if i wanted to, but the real ones were perfect after a few hours work.

WisconsinPlatt:  the box started life as a relatively modern microscope box
which i then added the 'shelves' to hold the glass, and the suede covered slope. after that, i bashed the hell out of it and added some patination with oil paints.
so i guess the short answer is, its a small-part found object and a large-part purpose built Smiley
JohnRichard
Deck Hand

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 02:53:53 pm »

Where did that text come from? Did you hand write all that? Or did you use some automatic printing device?

I do wish my penmanship was on your level it you did write all that out!

Bravo.

juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 02:58:53 pm »

the handwriting was based on a font that i downloaded from http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=601.

after i typed each word, i applied a very small transformation to it in photoshop, to stop them looking too uniform. i slanted some by a degree or two, i squashed some by 2-3%, i bent some into slight arches or bulges and so on.  just to try and capture the various nuances of handwritten text.
Lord Croker
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 11:58:12 pm »

Thats fantastic, it looks really genuine, but I have to point out a small mistake. It should be Duttaphrynus melanostictus i.e. capital letter for the genus name, lowercase for the species. Its a small thing but every serious naturalist would know that. Also this species was described by Schneider in 1799 as Bufo melanostictus. The genus Duttaphrynus is new, it was only erected in 2006 by Frost et al.

Sorry, can you tell I'm trained in taxonomy?

Cheers
Charlie

"There's a bounty for shooting tigers you know, it's fifty pounds a head"
"You must have shot an awful lot of tigers sir"
"Yes, I used a machine gun."
willow_twig
Officer

No one move, I have a doilie!

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2007, 12:30:07 am »

O, very nice! A VERy nice job of fitting the red felt.

Member, Van Helsing Society
juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2007, 12:43:40 am »

Thats fantastic, it looks really genuine, but I have to point out a small mistake. It should be Duttaphrynus melanostictus i.e. capital letter for the genus name, lowercase for the species. Its a small thing but every serious naturalist would know that. Also this species was described by Schneider in 1799 as Bufo melanostictus. The genus Duttaphrynus is new, it was only erected in 2006 by Frost et al.

Sorry, can you tell I'm trained in taxonomy?

Cheers
Charlie

whoops!

the capitalisation mistake  i believe has only happened in my write-up here (i think) the text in the project itself is in the correct format (by accident rather than by intent) 
and with the Bufo mistake i can claim i wanted to be anachronistic  Wink (all of my text actually said Bufo or Bufonidae up until the last minute, when i thought i was wrong and changed it to Duttaphrynus)

glad you like it though Smiley if only i had a trained taxonomist close at hand when i need one Wink

O, very nice! A VERy nice job of fitting the red felt.

thank you Smiley
it was actually my fourth attempt at fitting the interior, i didnt realise it would be so tricky. i tried first with flocking, then velvet, then felt and i eventually used the red suede thats in the pictures.
Lord Croker
Zeppelin Captain
Australia Australia

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2007, 01:32:09 am »

whoops!

the capitalisation mistake  i believe has only happened in my write-up here (i think) the text in the project itself is in the correct format (by accident rather than by intent)

Its an easy mistake, if you think of a species name as being like a personal name it seems natural to capitalise both letters.

and with the Bufo mistake i can claim i wanted to be anachronistic  Wink (all of my text actually said Bufo or Bufonidae up until the last minute, when i thought i was wrong and changed it to Duttaphrynus)

glad you like it though Smiley if only i had a trained taxonomist close at hand when i need one Wink

I do like it, it reminds me of the dusty cabinet full of dead animal parts that was at the back of the zoology lab at university. Perhaps the use of the modern name can be thought of as a deliberate mistake that proves the anachronism of the piece, a sort of steampunk equivalent the Japanese wabi-sabi aesthetic, where a craftsman demonstrates his fallability by deliberately making something slightly asymmetrical.

Charlie
unlimitedchaos
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2007, 10:43:05 am »

where did you get the bones from for this?  i need some small bones for a 40k model i'm making. and how did you cut the glass or perspex bit?

you should put this on ebay, i'm sure there loads of people who would want to bid on it
Rosel
Zeppelin Captain

Natural Historian, Bluestocking, Translatrix,

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2007, 02:12:12 pm »

This is lovely. I really like the old style natural history displays. (and this reminds me i have some insects that i really need to get mounted)

juxtimon
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2007, 04:15:43 pm »

thank you rosel Smiley  get those insects mounted right away! i want to see them Smiley

lord croker- i love the whole wabi-sabi ideal, and its something I've always tried to work into things i make by putting 'intentional mistakes' in places. so i will definitely use that excuse  Cheesy

unlimited chaos- i had the glass cut for me at a glaziers (quite frankly, they did a very poor job at cutting it accurately. it is nearly 3mm out in some places and not even remotely square.) and it was 'glued' with silicon sealant. 
the bones were originally from ebay, they were described as a "professionally museum cleaned skeleton, ready for display", however in reality they were little more than a dessicated corpse.  after cutting the skeleton into pieces, i had to soak it in disinfectant for 24 hours, then pick a load of connective muscles and tissue off the bones. then i had to let it dry out, then shave the tough cartilage from the joints. then soak again in disinfectant, and remove even more connective tissue and muscle. then dry them out again, bleach them slightly, and do a bit more picking away of tissue. all in, i spent nearly 12 hours cleaning the "professionally museum cleaned" piece.  there will nearly always be small amounts of tissue and muscle on smaller skeletons, as it is needed to hold the piece together, but this was horrendous.
there are plenty of better places to get bones from if you want them for modelling- thats the beauty of hindsight i suppose, its perfect 20/20 vision.

I'd love to sell this box on ebay, but i wouldn't have the slightest clue where to start advertising the auction to make sure people knew about it.  with something like this, to achieve even close to what its worth/what i want for it, i would need to advertise in a lot of places.
mine
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2007, 10:38:27 pm »

Cool stuff Smiley
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2007, 10:49:02 pm »

If you ever need any more calligraphy, I would be glad to help, as I am fully trained in copperplate. Also, I have a silkworm I picked up in China. Any ideas on how I would make a dislpay case? (I have about two actually)
heavyporker
Zeppelin Admiral

« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2007, 04:44:01 am »

About that silkworm, I'd look up entomological practices, such as butterfly or beetle collecting, and examine their display cases - it's rather like a frame and a glass pane protecting the sample(s). Pretty simple to do, in my opinion.

I hope you all enjoyed Air Kraken Day
Fortigurn
Zeppelin Captain
Taiwan Taiwan

« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2007, 05:12:23 pm »

That is a beautiful piece of work.  I hope it ends up in a museum one day.

My eyes!  The goggles - they do nothing!

Steampunk@Redbubble

Brushes:

500ml

Obsidian Daw
mythdude
Officer

« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2007, 11:35:05 pm »

That is very nice.

Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief.
Sigmund Freud
Gazongola
Zeppelin Admiral
England England

I am the flashing monocle.

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2007, 01:02:34 am »

About that silkworm, I'd look up entomological practices, such as butterfly or beetle collecting, and examine their display cases - it's rather like a frame and a glass pane protecting the sample(s). Pretty simple to do, in my opinion.

I know where I can get those, however, they are not small enough. I will have to construct one.
polyphemus
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2007, 03:22:31 am »

I have read somewhere that one can clean a skeleton (presumably a fairly small one) quite well by leaving it in an anthill for a season. I have not yet tried this however.

Polphemus Pomfret
"Don't be silly. He wouldn't write,"Aaarrgghhh!"
"Perhaps he was dictating."
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: