The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
May 24, 2017, 05:15:31 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Blog is temporarily offline. See this tweet, follow @brasstech for updates.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is a kinotrope?  (Read 11285 times)
mythdude
Officer
United States United States

« on: November 28, 2007, 06:12:34 am »

I have seen them referenced, but have no idea what it is.  Searches on wikipedia/google didn't really tell me anything...so i ask the good members of this forum, what is a kinotrope player?

Just as no one can be forced into belief, so no one can be forced into unbelief.
Sigmund Freud
Prof. A. Morphous
Snr. Officer

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 06:56:13 am »

M. Mythdude,

Someone may correct me, but depending on where you saw the reference it probably refers to a device for public entertainment and information dissemination in the novel "The Difference Engine" by Mssrs. William Gibson and Bruce Sterling. Some on this forum consider it the book by which all other steampunk fiction must be weighed. The kinotrope was a display of wooden widgets of undescribed  dimensions that by means of the machine rotated or were swapped out to act as pixels and display images and text. They are used in the novel in place of/in conjunction with stage theater, public lecture (i.e. powerpoint) and as a means of advertisement and news reports. The pieces of wood made a distinct clacking noise as they transitioned from one position to another lending the programmers that operated them the title "clackers". The kinotropes operated via a set of punchcards containing the program they should run. More than you wanted to know? You should pick up the book, it is pretty good IMHO.

-Prof. A. Morphous  Grin

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Difference_Engine

"All of my comments are random thoughts, meant to help, praise or suggest a path of travel. All should be pondered, and disregarded as you see fit."

I feel like punching a penguin in the face today. -Ella Kremper
mythdude
Officer

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 06:59:07 am »

oh...so kind of like a steampunk age computerish thing?...I'm must pick up the book next time i have a chance, that shall further my steampunk education
zircher
Officer

Have gun, will travel.

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 05:51:47 pm »

I haven't read the book (it's on my to-read list) , but I think these images will explain the concept quite well.

http://www.smoothware.com/danny/woodenmirror.html
--
TAZ
Prof. A. Morphous
Snr. Officer

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 06:50:21 pm »

I haven't read the book (it's on my to-read list) , but I think these images will explain the concept quite well.

--
TAZ

M. Zircher, I believe those illustrate the concept perfectly, those are amazing, have they been posted here before? Maybe I was asleep at the time. Thank you for posting those.

-Prof. A. Morphous  Grin
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 07:55:08 pm »

It's more of a computer monitor rather than the computer itself.
I also heartily recommend the book. I feel like a re-read, but alas and alack, my copy has been lent to an order of nuns for their holiday readings (oh, the variety of my life Tongue)

Quod me non necat me confirmat

Cappuccino?! I'll give you a cappuccino!

Fellow of the Retrofuturist Society
Augustus Dayafter
Snr. Officer

Chief Medical Officer ~ S.S. Seraph

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 08:31:42 pm »

I must say that I have never seen the Wooden Mirror before. Wow, that was amazing. Now I just need to get myself one Smiley
Ben Hudson, Esq.
Snr. Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

New avatar, same person.

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 10:10:53 pm »

My thoughts exactly.
Off-topic: Nice ship name you have there, Mr Dayafter. A most interesting person. One of my top five Russians; he qualifies purely on the credit of his fantastic death and his legendary footlong anatomical member which is pickled in a museum somewhere.

*edit*
Hoorah! My centenary post!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2007, 10:14:07 pm by Ben Hudson, Esq. » Logged
mythdude
Officer

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 03:13:44 am »

ok...thanks for clearing that up for me
Panny Dreadful
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 05:55:55 am »

One of my top five Russians; he qualifies purely on the credit of his fantastic death and his legendary footlong anatomical member which is pickled in a museum somewhere.

"Ivan, what did you do at work today?"

"I don't want to talk about it ..."

SHJ
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 08:00:23 pm »

I believe London Victoria (Train) Station, still uses Kinotropes for announcing trains arrivals & departures.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Prof. Friedrich VonHart, PhD
Zeppelin Captain

The clockwork crusader of truth

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 08:09:49 pm »

--
TAZ

That guy is a genius. The peg mirror is quite fantastic as well.

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error." — John Kenneth Galbraith
"God does not care about our mathematical difficulties. He integrates empirically."
"Education begins the gentleman, but reading, good company, and reflection must finish him."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: