Author Topic: Commonwealth Games bull  (Read 60 times)

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
Commonwealth Games bull
« on: July 29, 2022, 11:23:04 am »
I missed the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth games in Birmingham (started before 6am in the morning for me), but I have seen various images of a mighty metallic mechanical bull with steam coming out of its nostrils (very steampunk looking). Did any of you see the full ceremony? Did the bull do anything other than be driven around? I read that it was symbolic of the industrial revolution and there were (suffragette?) women pulling chains attached to it (or being pulled). Is that right?

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.
Re: Commonwealth Games bull
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2022, 12:06:27 pm »
I Googled.

The original Bull is in the Bull Ring, Birmingham's shopping centre, which itself got its name from its history of bull-baiting and slaughter.

''Commissioned to herald Birmingham's regeneration, and to represent its history, the Bull has been adopted by the people of Birmingham as a 21st Century mascot. One of the largest bronze animal sculptures in the UK, the piece is modelled on the Hereford Bull, an animal with strong historical associations to Birmingham.''

The mechanical Bull...

''The most visually impressive element of the show was the raging bull, a giant aluminium and steel puppet constructed around a forklift truck-like machine from materials sourced in local factories. It was dragged into the stadium by 50 women representing chainmakers from the Industrial Revolution.''
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
Re: Commonwealth Games bull
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2022, 01:51:44 pm »
If anyone doesn't know what I am talking about...

I am curious if it transformed or had a lightshow or fireworks or anything other than just moving around during the ceremony (I know that smoke etc came from its nostrils).

Sorontar
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 01:59:43 pm by Sorontar »