Author Topic: hope you're all safe in the heat  (Read 172 times)

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
hope you're all safe in the heat
« on: July 21, 2022, 05:51:56 am »
drink plenty of water and get some electrolytes too. freeze a half filled bottle of water on it's side and wrap in kitchen towel to press against your neck (cools the blood in the arteries flowing to your head). and keep an eye on each other for signs of heat stroke.
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Sir Henry

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Poking the i's and drinking the t's
Re: hope you're all safe in the heat
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2022, 09:22:19 am »
Thanks for the advice. As it's so unusual to get these temperatures in England, we really don't know how to deal with anything over 80ºF, let alone the 100º we got on Tuesday.

But one of the few benefits of waking at 5am every morning is that I could open up all the doors and windows in the house to cool down the bulk of the building. Then, once the outside world started warming, I shut down everything and trapped as much coolth in as possible. It meant that it didn't get unbearable until mid to late afternoon.

And today it's back to 60ºF and rainy...
I speak in syllabubbles. They rise to the surface by the force of levity and pop out of my mouth unneeded and unheeded.
Cry "Have at!" and let's lick the togs of Waugh!
Arsed not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for tea.

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2022, 11:50:45 am »
Thanks for the advice. As it's so unusual to get these temperatures in England, we really don't know how to deal with anything over 80ºF, let alone the 100º we got on Tuesday.

But one of the few benefits of waking at 5am every morning is that I could open up all the doors and windows in the house to cool down the bulk of the building. Then, once the outside world started warming, I shut down everything and trapped as much coolth in as possible. It meant that it didn't get unbearable until mid to late afternoon.

And today it's back to 60ºF and rainy...

I'm a night owl, so windows are all opened her at sunset, and closed within and hour of sunrise. kinda wish the crazy old philipino lady would stop turning 2-3 stove top burners at 6am until noon and again at 4pm until 9.

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Overlord
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2022, 02:56:32 am »
hottest day of the years here today, right when I started my flexibility training routine (modified to not stress my stomach surgery (this nothing strenuous for 2-6 months right as I was starting prep for this work out experiment is stupid).

RJBowman

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 11:34:39 pm »
I've spent my like in the Great Lakes region. Sub-sub freezing winters and oppressively hot summers are expected where I am.

Chicago has it really bad; they get those 100 degree days in the summer with 99% humidity because they are on the lake. There are poor elderly people who live in rough neighborhoods and are afraid to open their windows; some of them die sitting in their apartments doing nothing every summer.

Open youre windows; the burglars aren't going to come in because they can't stand the heat either.