Author Topic: Thoughts for Texas  (Read 278 times)

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
Thoughts for Texas
« on: May 25, 2022, 06:08:15 pm »
I apologise if this is considered political but I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with the grieving people of Uvalde today.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
Re: Thoughts for Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2022, 06:30:07 pm »
I apologise if this is considered political but I just wanted to say that my thoughts are with the grieving people of Uvalde today.
I think we're all mature enough to express our sympathies for the folks in Uvalde without straying into political territory.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 06:47:15 am »
I second the motion. What happened boggles the mind.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2022, 02:19:10 am »
It leaves one speechless. Thoughts are with the people of Uvalde, of Texas, and of America itself.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2022, 11:52:52 am »
Not being callous or unfeeling here, but this is just the latest.
* von Corax has deleted the bulk of this post

If considered too political, please do delete.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2022, 01:57:41 pm by von Corax »

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2022, 01:58:24 pm »
Not being callous or unfeeling here, but this is just the latest.
* von Corax has deleted the bulk of this post

If considered too political, please do delete.

Yes, it was too political, but I expect you feel much better to have gotten it off your chest.

Lazaras

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Have Wierd; Will Travel.
    • Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 04:42:17 am »
It's been twenty three years since columbine.

We still are faced with this problem I had prayed to God andanyone or anything else listening was a one off. Something where we collectivly realized Problems Exist we needto Solve it for the good of future generations. Except it is the next generation, and some of the children of that generation (if they started particularly young on family making) facing that same monster.

I am intentionally leaving further talk of blame assignment, failings, solutions. All of that gets too into politics for this place.

I am sick at heart and I dread this feeling that for all the dressing up. All the 'thoughts and prayers,' and all the talking heads..... that this has somehow become 'Normal'. that it's 'normal' for someone to go into school and start killing people.

As part of the generation where thsi became a thing that we must all fear for when sending children to get an education. I am sorry. It is a boogyman I would throttle with its own chord at birth if I could.

God save us, because it seems we are doing a poor job of saving ourselves.
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 09:43:23 am »
*Mod hat on*

I'll take this opportunity to remind everyone of our ban on political discussions and in particular gun control laws.
Whilst you're welcome to express your frustration as to the response to events like these, if you want to talk politics then go elsewhere.

I'd personally say you're on shaky ground lazaras, but will hang fire and not do anything until its been discussed by myself and the other modims.

*mod hat off*
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 05:27:02 pm by Madasasteamfish »
I made a note in my diary on the way over here. Simply says; "Bugger!"

"DON'T THINK OF IT AS DYING, JUST THINK OF IT AS LEAVING EARLY TO AVOID THE RUSH."

Lazaras

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Have Wierd; Will Travel.
    • Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 05:19:11 pm »
Fair enough. I'm trying to avoid being political, but. aggravation is high that this is still a thing.

Madasasteamfish

• A clanger waiting to be dropped......
  • Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2022, 05:39:16 pm »
Fair enough. I'm trying to avoid being political, but. aggravation is high that this is still a thing.

I appreciate that it may not have been your intention to start a political discussion (and you're entitled to your opinion) but sensitive topics have a tendency to spark arguments even when the subject is indirectly mentioned.

Whilst my own sympathies are with you as well as the victims and their families, there are plenty more places on the Internet for people to argue over the rights and wrongs surrounding this unfortunate event.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2022, 02:08:12 am »
It's been twenty three years since columbine.

We still are faced with this problem I had prayed to God andanyone or anything else listening was a one off. Something where we collectivly realized Problems Exist we needto Solve it for the good of future generations. Except it is the next generation, and some of the children of that generation (if they started particularly young on family making) facing that same monster.

I am intentionally leaving further talk of blame assignment, failings, solutions. All of that gets too into politics for this place.

I am sick at heart and I dread this feeling that for all the dressing up. All the 'thoughts and prayers,' and all the talking heads..... that this has somehow become 'Normal'. that it's 'normal' for someone to go into school and start killing people.

As part of the generation where thsi became a thing that we must all fear for when sending children to get an education. I am sorry. It is a boogyman I would throttle with its own chord at birth if I could.

God save us, because it seems we are doing a poor job of saving ourselves.

May I suggest that in addition to taking the political conversation elsewhere, that you participate in the political process by raising awareness in other sites.  If I may just add something that is political, but not partisan before I shut up:

I'm not keeping my opinion to myself here, solely based on the furum rules, but rather because anything I write here feels like I'm just complaining. Politics unfortunately is a contact sport and your duty as a citizen.

In light of the situation we need to accomplish two things:

1. Increase number of participant voters. Especially in Primary Elections with focus on local elections.
2. Increase participation of young voters, particularity those who just turned 18.

A deficiency in these two points is causing our country to have old leadership and a registered electorate that is no longer representative of the population. If we could fix this lack of participation situation among the young, you might find we can break the political deadlock, get new leadership and turn the country sane again.

I've sent you a private message expounding on these two points. Hopefully this makes it seem a bit less hopeless.

You won't see me post here again, unless it's for moderation purposes.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2022, 07:10:18 am by J. Wilhelm »