Author Topic: We should stop posting on Brass Goggles and migrate  (Read 1926 times)

Lazaras

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Have Wierd; Will Travel.
    • Cheapie Theatre
We should stop posting on Brass Goggles and migrate
« on: February 02, 2022, 04:55:10 pm »
I will lead with this: All the talk of building a new community went out of the window the moment Brass Goggles returned.

I will follow it up with: Preservation Efforts are hindered by continual use of that forum.

Reason for my thinking is simple: I view Brass Goggles as a terminally ill patient that we are essentially holding vigil over and has had a deathbed rally. we not only cannot, we MUST not, view that in any other sense.

Providence, in whatever guise you wish to invoke, is giving us a chance to gracefully let go and collectivly migrate.

Migrate to here, neverwas, it doens't matter. We need to face that reality and stop lying to ourselves.

The grand lady is giving us this chance.

Edit: Needed context.

out of the folk i know and consider friends? I've lost three in the past two years

One died right as the pandemic was getting going i know not why and will forever wonder because I talked t othem the day before and....  it will always eat at me that it was suicide and I hadn't done enough. Or that they were sick and didn't see it.

Two turned their backs to me. One because of a community failing and them throwing in my face my own anger issues without bothering to acknowledge anyone else's faults and what closing community off from me does to that mental welbeing. They Sincerely and wholeheartedly believe they are right in talking down to me. This is someone I had helped come to terms with being non binary and kept them from cutting things short, and they threw in my face a point in my life thirteen years ago when i was  so mentally blown apart I'd literall ygrasped at straws and ended up eight hours away from home about to board a bus to new york on a hope for better.....

The other is someone i had loved and had known since the mid ninties who revealed to me they had lied to me for years in having any interest at all just for the sake of keeping me around.

So.... i want you to understand all that when I look at this one community I haven't been thrown at and am saying we must leave.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2022, 05:11:07 pm by Lazaras »
Cheapie Theatre - Web Proxy for my Gemini Site
Want something to read? Got ten minutes to kill? Here you go!

Spare Goggles
If this forum goes down. I shall be reachable there under the same name.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
Re: We should stop posting on Brass Goggles and migrate
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2022, 05:40:07 pm »
Two things first. Consensus on the new platform and name for new platform. Are we remodeling Spare Goggles or opening a new forum? My concept was to save Brassgoggles as a kernel where we could link to it from a new forum. Also my idea was to link the new forum to other media. I'd be glad to start new connections to Pinterest Twitter and DeviantArt where I hold accounts. With your permission and with a proper identification (name) it's relatively easy to start creating multimedia links to the old forum pictures and links to the new forum (you can embed any picture you want and link to whichever URL you want. But I need to know what to link to.

NEW NAME AND NEW URL PLEASE.

Avalon Skyboat

• Deck Hand
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2022, 06:25:25 pm »
Ha ha ha, what a time to be a new member here, huh?  ;D

Regrettably I don't have a good handle on the tech stuff (in fact, I'm struggling to figure out how to upload an avatar photo here, the forum keeps rejecting mine).

But to be blunt, one of my strengths is financial wealth. I saw the PayPal link on here and was planning to contribute to the operating costs of the forum. Should I wait? I'd hate to contribute if this place is just going to close down.

I would love to be a part of whatever new platform might come to be... I can help to defray expenses. ~ Doug
"Would you rather land now, or in the dark?" ~ Martha King

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 12:46:39 am »
If we decide to migrate elsewhere

1) It needs to be managed

2) The new site needs to be up and running from the start

3) The new site needs no attachments

So what does this mean?

1) Management
- needs to define who owns the site and name, and this can't be one person
- needs to define who manages the site and name, and this can't be one person
- both the BG and the new site must work together to make the connection, so people know to migrate. Ideally, this would include having all accounts from one imported into the other, but that might not be possible. Alternatively, BG would have a big banner/header advising people to migrate for one month, then after one month BG is locked down and only have one page that advises people to go to the new site, or actually forwards them there. Likewise, the new site has to advise that it is a replacement.
- during the time that both site exist, then there needs to be some cross-posting, so people know what discussions they are missing out on on the new site

2) Up and ready
- All storage issues resolved
- All policies established, including what can be posted and how the content can be used, given data protection laws in EU, California, Australia etc etc
- All forum sections defined (probably mirroring the major ones for BG)
- A set of startup Moderators organised
- Advice posted on image attachments, video embedding available
- host paid for at least a year
- secure system for sponsorship established
- the system must be able to be updated
- has a backup system in place that is not at the same host (though obviously having a backup system there is vital)
- the system must be searchable and divisible as a forum, not just a chat environment like FB/IRC/Discord/Guilded

3) No attachments
- not part of another non-steampunk group (including diesel/atomic punk)
- not part of a community members' existing site (though they could be the host if they have an established company)
- not part of a fansite forum structure, unless it can be very clearly separated
- not allowing another third party to make decisions about the policies or structure
- not giving IP or content to any third party
- not relying members to be part of any broader social media platform to contribute, like FB or Pinterest.

Now, some of those may be hard to do, given the manpower and financial overheads, but this is what I see as ideal if we want to work around problems with BG and other sites. The new community has to be a steampunk community, regardless of its size.

I probably left some things out, but they are my thoughts for now.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 01:14:06 am »
Spare Goggles for me; I can't afford to pay to access a new venue. Damn me if you wish; I have been damned many hundreds of times for all kinds of things - though I know some will be happy to see me go.

I do know this, however: BG is about to break under the strain of usage. Every time I come on this site lately, it loads a little slower. Threads that popped right up a week ago now take ages to load. My machine stopped being viable for scraping longer ago than even that. We're just going to have to accept it; we have to migrate. Where? When? Which? We'll just have to see what's available

There will be those who  refuse to leave until BG literally goes dark. Those of us on Sparegoggles will, I'm sure, welcome those who are unable to afford the price of a new membership, or have given their word to never spend a cent online (yes, I realize you don't believe that such people exist, but I assure you, we do).

Wherever you go, please keep in touch with others, SOMEHOW. Life gets pretty dark when you start thinking nobody wants to talk to you.
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 02:26:15 am »
Ha ha ha, what a time to be a new member here, huh?  ;D

Regrettably I don't have a good handle on the tech stuff (in fact, I'm struggling to figure out how to upload an avatar photo here, the forum keeps rejecting mine).

But to be blunt, one of my strengths is financial wealth. I saw the PayPal link on here and was planning to contribute to the operating costs of the forum. Should I wait? I'd hate to contribute if this place is just going to close down.

I would love to be a part of whatever new platform might come to be... I can help to defray expenses. ~ Doug

Welcome to the forum, Doug. Definitely don't send money. You must be a little bit confused by the situation. To summarize, the forum is very old and was very centralized with only a couple of people (presumably only one, call him the top engineer) with the keys to the engine room, so to speak, since probably before 2009 when I came on board.

The founders of the forum became a bit scarce over the decades and during the pandemic we got an announcement that the person hiring the hosting service, Mr. Proteus, and who was footing the bill, could no longer do so. He gave us until last year to find a new administrator, and Mr. Von Corax was elected.

However, the site continued being hosted well over the limit that Proteus posted. Not so long ago, this Winter, we had a prolonged outage and we assumed that the service had been permanently cut. It's more likely that lack of maintenence of the data in the servers temporarily rendered the server useless, until some automated service performed some routine maintenance (we assume) and the site became operational again.

The thing is that Mr. Proteus is an extremely private person and sufficiently savvy in computer matters so as to be very difficult to contact. This prevents us from reaching the engine room through the back door, ie an FTP address where we could have access to the database to save, copy, export to another platform, etc. Efforts by Prof. Marvel to scrape the whole forum are ongoing, though that produces much more volume, since the website is stored as a collection of html web pages.

So you see, efforts to rescue the data are ongoing as we speak. We're not yet in a position to integrate any of the old data into a new forum, but Lazaras raises a good point: we need to establish the new platform now.

We do have, however a lifeboat, another forum sustained from advertising (thus free) which requires minimal maintenance and which was established for emergency situations where members needed to meet and communicate and which find at

https://sparegoggles.forumotion.net/

The current conversation on the subject can be found here:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51232.msg1013104.html#new

I hope this information brings you up to speed on our situation. I would have hoped to greet you under better circumstances, but we are still Brassgoggles, even if we have to scuttle this old ship and jump to a new one with all our possessions (including the curtains) at hand. Otherwise, feel free to peruse the ship and for the time being your cabin is ready. On your way you'll find the  dining room and our own Brassgoggles orchestra playing the classics. Just follow the monkey butler, he will take you to your quarters and he will also give you a complimentary life vest!

At your service

-The management-  ;D

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 02:45:57 am »
If we decide to migrate elsewhere

1) It needs to be managed

2) The new site needs to be up and running from the start

3) The new site needs no attachments

So what does this mean?

1) Management
- needs to define who owns the site and name, and this can't be one person
- needs to define who manages the site and name, and this can't be one person
- both the BG and the new site must work together to make the connection, so people know to migrate. Ideally, this would include having all accounts from one imported into the other, but that might not be possible. Alternatively, BG would have a big banner/header advising people to migrate for one month, then after one month BG is locked down and only have one page that advises people to go to the new site, or actually forwards them there. Likewise, the new site has to advise that it is a replacement.
- during the time that both site exist, then there needs to be some cross-posting, so people know what discussions they are missing out on on the new site

2) Up and ready
- All storage issues resolved
- All policies established, including what can be posted and how the content can be used, given data protection laws in EU, California, Australia etc etc
- All forum sections defined (probably mirroring the major ones for BG)
- A set of startup Moderators organised
- Advice posted on image attachments, video embedding available
- host paid for at least a year
- secure system for sponsorship established
- the system must be able to be updated
- has a backup system in place that is not at the same host (though obviously having a backup system there is vital)
- the system must be searchable and divisible as a forum, not just a chat environment like FB/IRC/Discord/Guilded

3) No attachments
- not part of another non-steampunk group (including diesel/atomic punk)
- not part of a community members' existing site (though they could be the host if they have an established company)
- not part of a fansite forum structure, unless it can be very clearly separated
- not allowing another third party to make decisions about the policies or structure
- not giving IP or content to any third party
- not relying members to be part of any broader social media platform to contribute, like FB or Pinterest.

Now, some of those may be hard to do, given the manpower and financial overheads, but this is what I see as ideal if we want to work around problems with BG and other sites. The new community has to be a steampunk community, regardless of its size.

I probably left some things out, but they are my thoughts for now.

Sorontar

One thing that I will warn you, and all of you reading this, is that one of the reasons why Brassgoggles has been on decline is that we are deaf, mute, and blind, so to speak. People can't find us. We can't talk to new people. We refuse to see others outside of our confines. We're one step away from being a Discord group with a slightly better venue.

We need to share some material to other platforms outside of the brassgoggles.co.uk/Spareparegoggles.forumotion.net and provide links back to our forum so people can join us. In the past we were the biggest and most important Steampunk forum in the web, arguably worldwide. That was before 2010. The web has changed, so much that even Facebook, where most Steampunk ended up is already looking tired, not to mention riddled with ethical issues. Facebook is no longer, and hasn't been for a while, where younger people meet. It's now the home for middle aged politically obsessed people.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steampunks started abandoning Facebook on moral grounds alone. And you know what? We could take advantage of that fact, and pull older people coming out from Faceplant and the new kids from elsewhere too. .

We can no longer rest on our laurels and reputation to keep Brassgoggles alive. At some point people will not remember who Brassgoggles was. The reputation of Brassgoggles being the place to rub elbows with Von Slatt, Datamancer, and Herr Doktor is a memory in the long distanced past. Younger generations, for whom 5 years is an eternity, don't even have a way of knowing who we are.

If we hold several platforms at once which point back to the forum, we will have a chance to grow again and inject new blood into what I still consider to be the absolute seminal Steampunk Forum for the Steampunk Movement since it started.

It's your decision but you NEED to lose your fear from the outside world and keep up with the times, or just accept your days are over, at least outside of small in-person meetings.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:47:24 am by J. Wilhelm »

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Board Moderator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 03:51:17 am »
Right, let's get this show on the road is it were.

Firstly, let's keep the Brassgoggles name. It's a good enough one and frankly it's never been a 'brand' that any one person owns. Let's not get caught up in the theoretical legalese here.

To that end, Brassgoggles.net is available for $20 a year, which is laughably cheap. If nobody objects then I'll register the URL and hand it over to whoever's handling the actual forum stuff.

To that end, who here is willing to do the computer wizardry required to get a forum up and running? If Von Corax is still interested then we can go that route.

RE cash, let's just get the thing up and running. If we need money in up-front then I'll transfer it to whoever needs to make the transaction to get it going. We can always pool resources in subsequent years as payments come due. There's no point us sitting here wondering exactly how we're going to split the bill when the ship the restaurant is in is sinking.

So to summarise:

- Brassgoggles.net is getting registered unless I hear a compelling enough reason not to.
 - Someone needs to step forward to actually set a forum up. Let's prioritise that over saving what's here.
 - Separately, if we can scrape what's here and somehow put it on the new site as an archive then that's a bonus.

Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 04:29:09 am »
Right, let's get this show on the road is it were.

Firstly, let's keep the Brassgoggles name. It's a good enough one and frankly it's never been a 'brand' that any one person owns. Let's not get caught up in the theoretical legalese here.

To that end, Brassgoggles.net is available for $20 a year, which is laughably cheap. If nobody objects then I'll register the URL and hand it over to whoever's handling the actual forum stuff.

To that end, who here is willing to do the computer wizardry required to get a forum up and running? If Von Corax is still interested then we can go that route.

RE cash, let's just get the thing up and running. If we need money in up-front then I'll transfer it to whoever needs to make the transaction to get it going. We can always pool resources in subsequent years as payments come due. There's no point us sitting here wondering exactly how we're going to split the bill when the ship the restaurant is in is sinking.

So to summarise:

- Brassgoggles.net is getting registered unless I hear a compelling enough reason not to.
 - Someone needs to step forward to actually set a forum up. Let's prioritise that over saving what's here.
 - Separately, if we can scrape what's here and somehow put it on the new site as an archive then that's a bonus.

I second capturing Brassgoggles.net. I ignore if Von Corax already had a venue in mind.

Also: We will need to start forwarding proposals like these and start voting on them, so it's on record.
I suggest a process like this:

Proposition A: Capturing a domain name, Brassgoggles.net

Proposition B: Satellite platforms

My second proposal is to start exploring satellite venues (all free)  which will point/link back to Brassgoggles.net .
Moderators can share login information and post accordingly. It should be trivial to contact one another by email
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 04:37:42 am by J. Wilhelm »

Lazaras

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 04:37:27 am »
If for no other reason than to keep someone who cares nothing but domain squatting it is a bit of a nestegg investment.

As for the rest. Uuuuhhh.

Eeerr....

oh dear.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 04:38:28 am »
If for no other reason than to keep someone who cares nothing but domain squatting it is a bit of a nestegg investment.

As for the rest. Uuuuhhh.

Eeerr....

oh dear.

Sorry. I modified my post before you posted.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 05:42:21 am »
To clarify my point about that members shouldn't have to be part of FB etc to contribute to any future BG setup. I am meaning that you shouldn't have to log into a FB/LinkedIn/Gmail account in order to use or post to the BG forum. I have no problem if BG also has a presence in that platform, but if so, its primary focus should be to direct people to the BG forum, or be an option for members to use to share information. It should not become the norm, especially since we have no control over how these platforms choose to use any personal information or creations placed on their platform.

As I have previous said in other threads, being able to provide links on FB/Twitter etc to "popular" or new discussions on the BG forum would be great, and should be doable, provided we can set up scrapping bots to do it.

Sorontar

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 05:51:48 am »
To clarify my point about that members shouldn't have to be part of FB etc to contribute to any future BG setup. I am meaning that you shouldn't have to log into a FB/LinkedIn/Gmail account in order to use or post to the BG forum. I have no problem if BG also has a presence in that platform, but if so, its primary focus should be to direct people to the BG forum, or be an option for members to use to share information. It should not become the norm, especially since we have no control over how these platforms choose to use any personal information or creations placed on their platform.

As I have previous said in other threads, being able to provide links on FB/Twitter etc to "popular" or new discussions on the BG forum would be great, and should be doable, provided we can set up scrapping bots to do it.

Sorontar

Are you suggesting using IFTTT? I was going to do it manually at first, like the blog we had, especially because I don't even know which venue we'll be using. Links can be changed or added any second. Twitter posts can be withdrawn at any time, and Pinterest links and captions can be edited for an indefinite amount of time. But if we can set it up with bots that's easier.

There was (is?) a platform called Rebekmouse which was a combination of scraping bot and frame platform like pinterest, but it's useless because all it does is embed the links to your own web page. In other words, scraping from other of your venues into a web page..

IFTTT is extremely useful in Twitter, but I've never attempted to use it for Pinterest. I was experimenting with IFTTT around 2012!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 06:02:40 am by J. Wilhelm »

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 06:46:33 am »
I haven't used IFTTT or heard of it, but yes, basically it would be a bot that watches BG, does some basic analysis of what is popular or new (nothing complex), then uses APIs to post announcements about its analysis each day and week on FB/Twitter etc. This is much better than the repetitive "Come join us at XXXXXXXXXXX.com" post that some bots use. If images are posted on BG and popular, they are great to use too, as in FB or Twitter posts like:

"J Wilhelm shared the following on https://brassgoogles.co.uk on 3 Feb 2021
[IMAGE]
Come join the discussion titled "Magnificent Flying machines" at http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52082.0"

"The following topics have been getting a lot of attention today/this week at https://brassgoggles.co.uk:
* "Magnificent flying machines" http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52082.0
* "A finer cardamom tea" http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52081.0
* "Underwater pressure on glass" http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52062.0
Come join in the Brass Googles discussions."

This will enable others to share/retweet/favorite/like the announcements and spread the word within the external platform, but the link to the BG forum is always there.

Sorontar

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 07:03:43 am »
I haven't used IFTTT or heard of it, but yes, basically it would be a bot that watches BG, does some basic analysis of what is popular or new (nothing complex), then uses APIs to post announcements about its analysis each day and week on FB/Twitter etc. This is much better than the repetitive "Come join us at XXXXXXXXXXX.com" post that some bots use. If images are posted on BG and popular, they are great to use too, as in FB or Twitter posts like:

"J Wilhelm shared the following on https://brassgoogles.co.uk on 3 Feb 2021
[IMAGE]
Come join the discussion titled "Magnificent Flying machines" at http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52082.0"

"The following topics have been getting a lot of attention today/this week at https://brassgoggles.co.uk:
* "Magnificent flying machines" http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52082.0
* "A finer cardamom tea" http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52081.0
* "Underwater pressure on glass" http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=52062.0
Come join in the Brass Googles discussions."

This will enable others to share/retweet/favorite/like the announcements and spread the word within the external platform, but the link to the BG forum is always there.

Sorontar

I'm reading all the IFTTT features. It's changed a lot since back then. I think it can pipe an RSS feed to Pinterest posts!

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2022, 10:40:18 am »
I'll stick in my somewhat useless yet still heartfelt agreement to the process proposed for setting up Brassgoggles.net. Not a whole lot of monetary or tech support can I give, but I'm in. Like many another, I can't throw money around, but ...well. Let that pass. Let's just get this thing done before the hulk sinks.

Lazaras

• Zeppelin Admiral
    • Cheapie Theatre
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2022, 06:39:50 pm »
I do like the idea of BrassGoggles.net being a hub t oother resoruces rather than the whole works. This makes ie easier for those whom must pay epenses on upkeep and allows for fluidity in case Things Happen.

The fear naturally is it leading ot a sense of elitism 'oh you arne't noteworthy enough' ando r 'this is for my Friends Not You' which i've seen on communities. However I feel it is better than just trying to buildthis place brick by brick.

The web is a diffrent place than it was sixteen years ago.

However I will wholeheartedly and vehimently agree with the sentement of no facebook, google, twitter, etc integration into the mainline work. Having links to projects or groups on these platforms? Fine. Integration? I shall spare all here the rant on why I feel facebook style social media is a blight upon the land and the less saidof Google integration, the better.

Avalon Skyboat

• Deck Hand
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2022, 06:49:20 pm »
Ha ha ha, what a time to be a new member here, huh?  ;D

Welcome to the forum, Doug. Definitely don't send money. You must be a little bit confused by the situation. To summarize, the forum is very old and was very centralized with only a couple of people (presumably only one, call him the top engineer) with the keys to the engine room, so to speak, since probably before 2009 when I came on board.

The founders of the forum became a bit scarce over the decades and during the pandemic we got an announcement that the person hiring the hosting service, Mr. Proteus, and who was footing the bill, could no longer do so. He gave us until last year to find a new administrator, and Mr. Von Corax was elected.

However, the site continued being hosted well over the limit that Proteus posted. Not so long ago, this Winter, we had a prolonged outage and we assumed that the service had been permanently cut. It's more likely that lack of maintenence of the data in the servers temporarily rendered the server useless, until some automated service performed some routine maintenance (we assume) and the site became operational again.

The thing is that Mr. Proteus is an extremely private person and sufficiently savvy in computer matters so as to be very difficult to contact. This prevents us from reaching the engine room through the back door, ie an FTP address where we could have access to the database to save, copy, export to another platform, etc. Efforts by Prof. Marvel to scrape the whole forum are ongoing, though that produces much more volume, since the website is stored as a collection of html web pages.

So you see, efforts to rescue the data are ongoing as we speak. We're not yet in a position to integrate any of the old data into a new forum, but Lazaras raises a good point: we need to establish the new platform now.

We do have, however a lifeboat, another forum sustained from advertising (thus free) which requires minimal maintenance and which was established for emergency situations where members needed to meet and communicate and which find at

The current conversation on the subject can be found here:
http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,51232.msg1013104.html#new

I hope this information brings you up to speed on our situation. I would have hoped to greet you under better circumstances, but we are still Brassgoggles, even if we have to scuttle this old ship and jump to a new one with all our possessions (including the curtains) at hand. Otherwise, feel free to peruse the ship and for the time being your cabin is ready. On your way you'll find the  dining room and our own Brassgoggles orchestra playing the classics. Just follow the monkey butler, he will take you to your quarters and he will also give you a complimentary life vest!

At your service

-The management-  ;D

Thanks for taking a moment to apprise me of the situation J. You are correct to assume that I had no idea what was going on! Sounds like a bit of a mess, but it also sounds like there are some kind-hearted, tech-savvy steampunks here who can help us out of this mess! While I’m not one of them, I’m grateful for anyone who steps up to the plate to help this awesome network survive and thrive.

As I noted, I am of little help when it comes to the tech stuff, but I’ll reiterate that I am happy to contribute financially when the network reaches its final manifestation. As the son of an industrialist I’m a multimillionaire, yet at the age of 28 I have no friends and have never had a girlfriend either. I mention this just to dispel the myth that people who have money are happy. We are not. But we can still be kind and caring people, especially to those who deserve a helping hand.  

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2022, 08:09:31 pm »
I'm sure we can contact The Wizard directly at the business who are hosting Brassgoggles, can we not? We have openly, in this forum, discussed the cost of running the website before when Proteus last addressed the issue. The reason being that we were choosing whether to stay at the current hosting service or acquire a new venues. Surely we can learn the outstanding balance as well as available plans offered by the web hosting service currently used.

We need name and URL of hosting service.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 08:19:25 pm by J. Wilhelm »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2022, 08:14:26 pm »

Thanks for taking a moment to apprise me of the situation J. You are correct to assume that I had no idea what was going on! Sounds like a bit of a mess, but it also sounds like there are some kind-hearted, tech-savvy steampunks here who can help us out of this mess! While I’m not one of them, I’m grateful for anyone who steps up to the plate to help this awesome network survive and thrive.

As I noted, I am of little help when it comes to the tech stuff, but I’ll reiterate that I am happy to contribute financially when the network reaches its final manifestation. As the son of an industrialist I’m a multimillionaire, yet at the age of 28 I have no friends and have never had a girlfriend either. I mention this just to dispel the myth that people who have money are happy. We are not. But we can still be kind and caring people, especially to those who deserve a helping hand.  

Your offer is most welcome, and very generous! But I'd like to see what situation we're facing first. I'd like to hear from "The Wizard" who identified himself as the web hosting company (?) (see that other thread) and learn of outstanding balances, location of hosting service, real names, available service plans, and we can discuss an perhaps vote on a course of action.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 08:19:01 pm by J. Wilhelm »

John Zybourne

• Gunner
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2022, 11:32:22 pm »
I know I was mostly an infrequent poster here on Brass Goggles, but learning about this looming migration/forum collapse took me by surprise. I had no idea what has been going on behind the scenes, only that the site was down for a few weeks. I registered at the Smoking Lounge and attempted to register at Spare Goggles so this hopefully is not the end. But, Heaven forbid that it is, I wanted to say thank you to all the members here, your imaginations and talents have inspired me and your ability to keep this space online for so long has been nothing short of magnificent. A final outpost of the old internet. Thank you all and Heaven willing, a new community will coalesce.

God Speed and Full Steam Ahead,
John Zybourne 

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2022, 12:40:52 am »
I know I was mostly an infrequent poster here on Brass Goggles, but learning about this looming migration/forum collapse took me by surprise. I had no idea what has been going on behind the scenes, only that the site was down for a few weeks. I registered at the Smoking Lounge and attempted to register at Spare Goggles so this hopefully is not the end. But, Heaven forbid that it is, I wanted to say thank you to all the members here, your imaginations and talents have inspired me and your ability to keep this space online for so long has been nothing short of magnificent. A final outpost of the old internet. Thank you all and Heaven willing, a new community will coalesce.

God Speed and Full Steam Ahead,
John Zybourne 

Mr. Zybourne, thank you for your support. The situation is extremely fluid at the moment, but we're hopeful we can have an answer for you all very soon. Stand by and don't forget to register at our backup site, Spare Goggles:

Avalon Skyboat

• Deck Hand
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 01:17:05 am »
Hey, so I've registered over at Spare Goggles but I'm still waiting for an administrator to activate my account... perhaps whoever is serving as administrator only works during the week. Hopefully by Monday my account will be activated! Funny, I've never had to have a forum account activated before. They must run a tight ship over there! ~ Doug

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 01:53:39 am »
Hey, so I've registered over at Spare Goggles but I'm still waiting for an administrator to activate my account... perhaps whoever is serving as administrator only works during the week. Hopefully by Monday my account will be activated! Funny, I've never had to have a forum account activated before. They must run a tight ship over there! ~ Doug

Sorry about that. We've been very busy with real, life, I'm guessing. The two step registry process is part manual and was meant to control flow, as it's technically an emergency boat, so to speak.That would be Von Corax, I believe who could do that. I'm registered as a moderator over there, but I'm looking all over my only control panel, and I don't think I have the ability to activate the account- that's probably only possible for the administrator, again Von Corax. I'll message him directly.

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 02:15:51 am »
Hi, Doug. You should be set up on SG now. I'm supposed to get an email notification when someone registers, but that hadn't happened yet.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading