Author Topic: Steve Vai's New Guitar...  (Read 600 times)

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Capt of the "AO Victoria," Cdr of the Aeronauts!
    • The Writings of A.J. Smith
Steve Vai's New Guitar...
« on: January 28, 2022, 11:55:21 pm »
Steve Vai--YouTube Link for Teeth of the Hydra (Official Visualizer)

So... I'm posting this here because it's partially in the category of Sir Reginald Pikedvant, Esquire's "Just Glue Some Gears On It (And Call It Steampunk)." Most of the bits and baubles have no function whatsoever. And, while nixie tubes are undoubtable splendid, they come from long after the age of steam ended... Pity really, I love nixie tubes...

All that said, the bits and baubles on the body of the guitar (ostensibly) have some sort of function (some are MIDI, some are pickup selectors, etc.).

And all *that* being said, it's still a rather lovely beast, and I thought some of you might enjoy the sheer spectacle of it if nothing else. Ibanez has done a wonderful job with it. I'm particularly in love with the half-fretless bass neck (shades of their Ashula SRAS7 7-String that ran for a while) aspect of it. Less crazy about the "harp" strings, I mean, I get why they're there, but just... WHY? Ya know?

Anyways, here ya go! Some interesting bit of kit, made to look old, and definitely probably falling into the "Just Glue Some Gears" camp.
Don't let these shakes go on, it's time we had a break from it. Send me to the rear! Where the Tides of Madness swell, and men sliding into Hell...

Oh please don't let these shakes go on...

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
Re: Steve Vai's New Guitar...
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2022, 07:42:50 am »
I kind of get the apparently-meshing gear trains, and the various gears applied not nilly-willy, but in definite design patterns. That makes it not so much a glue-gears-on-and-call-it-steampunk work, buuut ... it IS a bit excessive. I mean, wouldn't all that extra moving-part stuff kind of rattle and interfere with the electromagnetic field that drives an electric guitar?

I've thought of making a sort of electrified "steampunk" banjo, but I tend to shie away from the idea of largely-decorative components that run a high risk of getting caught on clothing or knocked off by whangs and the other flourishes that a live performer engages in to whip the crowd into a more excited state (Yes, even us Old-Time and Bluegrass types do stuff like that, lol). Things that are just there to look cool and act like a working gear train, to my mind, fall into the category of "gewgaws-that-come-loose-and-rattle-and-catch-on-your-clothes-at-the-worst-possible-moment.

Then again, I'm just an old, gray banjo frailer with delusions of grandeur, so what the blazes do I know? (lol)
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 03:28:08 pm by MWBailey »
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

Dave Leppo

• Snr. Officer
  • fabricateur
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2022, 07:50:55 pm »
A seven-string, a twelve-string, but only a four-string bass?

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2022, 09:46:31 pm »
Well, frankly, ick!
But really, .... aesthetically appalling!
« Last Edit: January 29, 2022, 09:48:25 pm by Banfili »

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 03:33:26 am »
Well, frankly, ick!

I'll second that...

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 07:03:02 pm »
Well, frankly, ick!

I'll second that...

It's OK to be wrong.  ;) :D  ;D

The Corsair

• Defective Inspector
  • Board Moderator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2022, 02:33:16 am »
See I don't mind the odd non-functional ornament that is there to evoke an aesthetic (the gears on the tuning pegs, for example), but so much of this just looks very plastic.

There's a real 'Painted over a nerf gun' look to all this.
Still here, just quieter

https://apothecary.press/

Xenos

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2022, 07:56:41 am »
See I don't mind the odd non-functional ornament that is there to evoke an aesthetic (the gears on the tuning pegs, for example), but so much of this just looks very plastic.

There's a real 'Painted over a nerf gun' look to all this.

I will say the gears around the tuning pegs was a real nice touch.

I'm not getting painted Nerf Gun, though. "Try hard steampunk," maybe. Still dig the look of it myself.

Avalon Skyboat

• Deck Hand
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 07:24:28 pm »
I have absolutely no musical talent whatsoever, but that thing looks pretty wicked!

When I was a kid I had a very narrow mind concerning form over function, but lately I have gained a new appreciation for any given design aesthetic, especially when it triggers the imagination.
"Would you rather land now, or in the dark?" ~ Martha King