Author Topic: Tips for model pipework facilitys?  (Read 770 times)

mizzarrogh

• Officer
  • *** To the North! *** (they/them)
Tips for model pipework facilitys?
« on: October 17, 2021, 07:22:32 pm »

While i still waiting for the toy sets to arrive from China i watced a lot of tabletop roleplaying model making videos and simiular, as i probably said in other posts, i want to make a few such facilitys for my model railroad, they does not need to be connected to the railroad, and they are just static models so they does not by any means need to be playable from an actualy RPG perspective, in short word we are completly free to dream up all kind of stuff of our desire here. It's probably going to be a bit anacronistic anyway, so there would be no problem to incorporate more modern elements just as long as it looks good for the scenario.
(The trains are mainly old Hornby 0 gauge and various American steamhaulers and similar type of vintage trains).

However i am of course also realy interested in tips that would suit my 1:12 Dollhouse i talked about before.
Whan i am done with my actual house i plan to build a crudly made model steamplant factory that could serve as a live display for my model steamplants and acceorys for them.

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
Re: Tips for model pipework facilitys?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2021, 11:05:35 pm »
There are lots of tutorials on YouTube which show people making their little models (and some not so little). Try this one - whilst it is not a pipework facility per se, it has a lot of pipes and metal work and it is a good teaching video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDQ-sDDqWvk&list=LL&index=6

You can see what he used for pipes etc and see the way he painted the finished model. The painting makes a HUGE difference. I once saw a guy make a spectacular 3D model of a dragon - it was so realistic! They he painted it solid purple and made it look like a cheap plastic toy... terrible!

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2021, 06:52:46 pm »
Plastic drinking straws make really good dolls house drainpipes - if you can get them now that is (ecologically unacceptable as they are).  Perhaps the reusable metal straws would be ok, although not as easy to cut ...
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2021, 09:41:42 pm »
Plastic drinking straws make really good dolls house drainpipes - if you can get them now that is (ecologically unacceptable as they are).  Perhaps the reusable metal straws would be ok, although not as easy to cut ...
You could probably use paper straws.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2021, 10:28:22 pm »
Both paper and plastic straws are quite thick - you need a combination of thick and thin to make it look realistic. Lollipop sticks make good small pipes, as do the plastic sticks used to make cotton era-buds (or whatever woke thing they call them now). You just have to keep your eyes open for things and start collecting. Craft supply places often have good stuff if you don't want to clean your ears or eat lollipops!  ;D

mizzarrogh

• Officer
  • *** To the North! *** (they/them)
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2021, 11:06:52 am »
Thank You all!
I realy love the enthusiasm and positivity here, it realy does give a lot of motivation to de dust old hobby projects and realise childhood dreams!

Yes, í will also try some copper tape.

I a massive bag with those pipe toys just arrived from China, i think they will do great for larger pipes, i concider using small round nail heads for rivets.
(However, as a fun piece of history cast iron pipework where very seldom riveted in reality it was almost only industrial sheetmetal works that had those classic style rivets, i actualy found a piece of genuine antique drainpipe in a barn on my fathers farm whan i was a kid. It was way beyon rescue, but still interesting to see how it was made (yes, that's what i did whan i newer got any videogames from my parents... ha ha To be honest, i think kids toys are often unnessesary expensive and just one way to play with them today, not much room for your own imagination and to actualy be constructive, i think cognitive toys are very important for kids to hawe, whatever it id just pinecones with sticks as i had or expensive LEGO sets (wich me and my brother somtime got once a year if one had behaved well before Christmas, and of course my first model train set from grandpa, i must say that i realy was deeply impressed it still was in such a good condition it could so easily be repaired back to functional state when i found it in my parents attic and handeled it ower to my brothers children.  :) ).).)

I will take pictures whan i hawe painted the parts, but at the moment it is difficult to reach the cities where i live bacause of well, reasons... But i hope it will lift soon.

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2021, 06:57:57 pm »
Try plastic sprue (the long-straw-like bits you get in model kits which all the bits are moulded onto). 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.