The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
January 28, 2022, 11:58:32 pm *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Melbourne Earthquake (in Oz.)  (Read 494 times)
Mercury Wells
Rogue Ætherlord
I insiste that you do call me WELLS. :)

« on: September 22, 2021, 10:38:34 am »

Melbourne earthquake: Tremor rattles southeast Australia

Are you lot ok?.

Oh...my old war wound? I got that at The Battle of Dorking. Very nasty affair that was, I can tell you.

The Ministry of Tea respectfully advises you to drink one cup of tea day...for that +5 Moral Fibre stat.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2021, 12:32:10 pm »

We were just having breakfast and at first I thought it was a huge truck roaring up the road, which was a bit disconcerting, as we live in a little cul de sac with a 90 degree bend in it… Then the house started shaking and it just went on and on. Our incredibly sensitive canine companions didn’t even wake up, so they missed it… Nothing fell off shelves or cracked or anything at our house. This is earthquake number 3 for me, so it was just another one.
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2021, 04:19:12 pm »

We were just having breakfast and at first I thought it was a huge truck roaring up the road, which was a bit disconcerting, as we live in a little cul de sac with a 90 degree bend in it… Then the house started shaking and it just went on and on. Our incredibly sensitive canine companions didn’t even wake up, so they missed it… Nothing fell off shelves or cracked or anything at our house. This is earthquake number 3 for me, so it was just another one.

Earthquakes are their own beast. Each one will do something a little different. The  initial roaring noise and shaking from a moderate quake can be a little disconcerting. One e the pot plants are swaying and the pictures are knocking I know it's not a truck or V 8  going past

J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2021, 05:37:54 pm »

Earthquakes are their own beast. Each one will do something a little different. The  initial roaring noise and shaking from a moderate quake can be a little disconcerting. One e the pot plants are swaying and the pictures are knocking I know it's not a truck or V 8  going past

Earthquakes in Mexico are really intense. There's no rumbling usually, more like very large amplitude swaying and occasionally up and down "stomping." On the really large ones like the Magnitude 8.2 in Mexico City in 1985, it started as lateral movement and phased to circular motion, in the part of town where I lived. I was lucky enough as I was over solid ground. The center of the city is on a dry lake, and circular waves rippled from the center, like a drop of water falling on a pond. So you would have large vertical oscillations as well.

Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 02:28:03 am »

I was up, waiting for the daily COVID-19 news when it struck. It has been a while (read years) since we have had tremors like that. No damage, just surprise.

We left our old house a couple of years ago because the walls and ceilings were cracking. A builder bought it, patched everything up and resold it a year later. I hate to think what state it is in now. Our new place is a lot more sturdy.

The location of the quake epicentre was in the hills near a place called Licola. It has a general store, a garage with one fire engine, a small camping/caravan site, a large bunk cabin/camping site - and one thin windy road in and out (takes about 1 hour to travel 20 km). I normally worry about bushfires in places like that, but now I guess I can add earthquakes.

Sorontar
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:30:01 am by Sorontar » Logged

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Admiral
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 05:41:43 am »

Earthquakes in Mexico are really intense. There's no rumbling usually, more like very large amplitude swaying and occasionally up and down "stomping." On the really large ones like the Magnitude 8.2 in Mexico City in 1985, it started as lateral movement and phased to circular motion, in the part of town where I lived. I was lucky enough as I was over solid ground. The center of the city is on a dry lake, and circular waves rippled from the center, like a drop of water falling on a pond. So you would have large vertical oscillations as well.

Liquification. A big word I have learned from recent NZ mega thrust earthquakes. Shaking is more intense on reclaimed swamp land or where there is softer land.   I have mostly lives in areas of former swamp  and have felt  strong shaking  on occasion.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 05:44:54 am by Hurricane Annie » Logged
E.J.MonCrieff
Officer
United Kingdom United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 09:49:48 pm »

It's a few years ago now, but I remember a small earthquake here in the UK.  There was a loud bang, and I thought that there had been a traffic accident nearby.  Quite a surprise for me to hear that it had been an earthquake!!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: