Author Topic: The 19XXs were better than the 2020s because:  (Read 2822 times)

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
Re: The 19XXs were better than the 2020s because:
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2021, 11:54:32 am »
Ah yes, the days when you went to a service station , not a petrol station. In Australia, we still call them servos, but haven't got the service for about 25 years.

I have noticed that a number of the petrol stations, especially those staffed by one person, will only allow prepaid petrol to be bought after certain hours (i.e, swipe your credit card before filling up).

Australia doesn't do tips for things like retail. We expect employees to be paid by their boss at a defined rate for adequate work, not the customer.

Sorontar

I recall, when living in Western Australia some time ago, that service stations were open on a roster during the weekends. Signs were placed along the road side to indicate the nearby stations that were open. They were  green signs emblazoned with a red ROSTER. At first glance  they were taken as signs for the Red Rooster  fried chicken outlets

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2021, 04:55:16 pm »
Indeed, it's been so long I couldn't think of the name for the people that filled your car; I knew 'staff' wasn't right but last night I could not recall the correct term which is of course forecourt attendant. Gone the way of the Dodo (although I don't think it was because people were eating them...)

Yours,
Miranda.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2021, 06:04:43 pm »
We simply called them attendants or service station "jockeys" apparently (I wouldn't know first hand because I was raised in another country and by the 70s when I'd visit the US every year, self service was becoming the norm), and the service station was also called a "filling station" toward the early 20th century.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I feel we're going down the rabbit hole  ::) talking of the 1970s, here's another mall staple: Hickory Farms. Luckily this one has not disappeared yet, let's just say they have no presence in malls any longer, because malls in the US are practically gone. Their presence is much reduced in the United States and now limited to brick and mortar shops and online sales.

Rare Commercial Vault: Hickory Farms (1978)

A company from Ohio, Hickory Farms dealt in gourmet sausages, cheeses, fruit preserves and candy products meant to be sold as gifts or consumed at parties. Requiring no refrigeration meant they could mail their products and have shops anywhere, from a kiosk to a vending cart, or a full shop at the mall. Their food products were marketed as "American farm traditional," and were mostly German, Czech and Dutch immigrant foods from the US "Midwest."

At a time when "Little House on the Prarie" was a popular TV show, it was not unusual for them to have a young female employee dressed like an American pioneer girl, or some grandfatherly gentleman handing out samples to the public walking at the mall.

A situation which was hilariously alluded to by "That Seventies Show"

That 70s Show - Jackie Says Cheese
« Last Edit: September 06, 2021, 06:25:42 pm by J. Wilhelm »

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2021, 08:14:21 pm »

The staff running the local petrol station in our small beach side suburb were referred to  by the local matrons  as "B@$£%#&"

It was an archaic ramshackle 1920s  2 story premises straight out of a bad 70s horror movie. The brothers that owned the place were a leering lurching bunch that regularly ripped off and propositioned and harrassed local housewives. Many tried to avoid  going into the front office.

I have fond  memories of a childhood  friend's mild mannered mother  being so incensed one day,  she fired back  infront of us with both barrels  blazing as she came out, threatened to send her large husband to deal to them.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2021, 06:23:38 am »
Why the 1950s were better than the 2020s.

1953: New Zealander explorer Edmund Hillary and Nepalese sherpa Tenzing Norgay reach the summit of Mt. Everest.
Image CC by SA 3.0, by Jamling Tenzing Norgay.

2019: People die due to weather waiting in line to reach the summit

« Last Edit: September 11, 2021, 06:29:04 am by J. Wilhelm »

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2021, 06:43:36 am »
Why the 1950s were better than the 2020s.

1953: New Zealander explorer Edmund Hillary and Nepalese sherpa Tenzing Norgay reach the summit of Mt. Everest.
Image CC by SA 3.0, by Jamling Tenzing Norgay.

2019: People die due to weather waiting in line to reach the summit

Hilary "knocked the & #$+@£( off".

I went to school  for a few years with the son of a chap who  joined Hilary on later expeditions.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2021, 09:00:10 am »
My sister met Hillary's son, Peter,  in Nepal when she was a teenager, as part of his work for the Himalayan Trust. Even though there have been some nasty court cases, it seems some of the family have seen value in the people and culture of Nepal, not just in bragging rights for climbing a hill.

I much prefer the Goon Show's solution though - a lift (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jln0). That is another treasure from the 1950s.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 13, 2021, 02:30:59 pm »
My sister met Hillary's son, Peter,  in Nepal when she was a teenager, as part of his work for the Himalayan Trust. Even though there have been some nasty court cases, it seems some of the family have seen value in the people and culture of Nepal, not just in bragging rights for climbing a hill.

I much prefer the Goon Show's solution though - a lift (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jln0). That is another treasure from the 1950s.

Sorontar

The Hillary family and others connected with the Everest expeditions  have arguably put a lot back in to the local Nepalese communities. The  Trust is involved in building schools and hospitals, conservation projects, employment creation and more. 

There are schools and public spaces dotted around NZ named after Edmund Hillary, his face on our $ 5  note  and his childhood home has heritage status.