Author Topic: The 19XXs were better than the 2020s because:  (Read 2821 times)

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
The 19XXs were better than the 2020s because:
« on: August 23, 2021, 05:58:33 am »
In pictures, I'd like to express why I believe that other decades in the past were better than our current decade.

I'm sure all of us have at least one example to show, which will make it obvious why 19XX was plainly better than 202X.

I'll start with the 1980s. I believe the 1980s were definitely better than 2020s, because:

1980s:

2020s:

Your turn...
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 06:12:33 am by J. Wilhelm »

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
Re: The 19XXs were better than the 2020s because:
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 10:29:42 pm »

For me, the 1970s. The world was at a zenith.  Industry and consumption was at a peak. People lived well. It was a decade of aspiration and inspiration.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970s_in_fashion

It took us from folk music through disco funk and on to punk. Music and movies were legendary.

In New Zealand beaches and native rainforest were untamed. Country roads were unsealed. The country side went on for miles. You could camp anywhere, swim anywhere,  play anywhere.

Childhood was shorter but less fraught with angst. The future was clear. Get a job, start a family, buy a home, have your holidays and Sunday drives

https://adventuresinparadisenz.com/1970-memory-lane

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 11:16:25 pm »
Interesting. I was going to nominate the bright shiny 1970s as well.

For me, the 1970s. The world was at a zenith.  Industry and consumption was at a peak. People lived well. It was a decade of aspiration and inspiration.

It took us from folk music through disco funk and on to punk. Music and movies were legendary.
It also gave us the Moon, and then took it away again.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2021, 12:18:00 am »
Interesting. I was going to nominate the bright shiny 1970s as well.

It also gave us the Moon, and then took it away again.

Did they give us the Moon ? Or did they give us a legendary movie  clip? Conspiracy theories from the 70s were outlandish

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 02:49:23 am »
The 1990s were better than the 2020s because...

1990s

2020s

My apologies if my post seems chauvinistic, but I'm under the impression that in 30 years we've lost a lot of class

« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 02:55:48 am by J. Wilhelm »

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2021, 03:35:33 am »

1990s

2020s

My apologies if my post seems chauvinistic, but I'm under the impression that in 30 years we've lost a lot of class

No you're not chauvinistic or quaint. Not at all. You're  being discerning  and cultivated

Somethings just haven't weathered well  from the 90s. Bless him though, he does look happier now.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2021, 06:10:46 am »

1990s

2020s

No you're not chauvinistic or quaint. Not at all. You're  being discerning  and cultivated

Somethings just haven't weathered well  from the 90s. Bless him though, he does look happier now.

He hasn't aged well, has he?

Umm... Who is he again?

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2021, 06:45:35 am »

Umm... Who is he again?

axl rose from guns and roses.

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2021, 06:53:29 am »

Umm... Who is he again?

axl rose from guns and roses.
Ah. Not someone to whom I've ever paid attention.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2021, 05:26:02 pm »

1990s

2020s

And you actually pulled a decent recent photo of him. I've seen *much* worse. Don't do drugs and drink hard, boys and girls...

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2021, 05:11:12 am »

Why the 1900s were better than the 2020s -

Going out for a wild night on the town imbibing liquids and substances  was far more flamboyant and wicked way back when

Night club 1900s

2020s

RJBowman

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2021, 02:25:35 pm »
I found a Youtube video that was a compilation of opening credit sequences from Anime shown in chronological order. There was one that really stood out, in part because of great art direction and animation, but also because of the character design, which was very distinctively mid 1980's fashion; they type associated with the youth culture and music of the era.

I am not a big follower of fashion, but when was the last time mainstream fashion was so distinctive and colorful, and distinctive to an era? If you are very conscious of such things, you might be able to explain the tiny changes in high fashion or dress clothes in the last 30 years, but casual cloths from 2021 are mostly indistinguishable from those of 1995.

Something interesting happened in the 1980s that has not been matched since.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2021, 04:40:13 pm »
I found a Youtube video that was a compilation of opening credit sequences from Anime shown in chronological order. There was one that really stood out, in part because of great art direction and animation, but also because of the character design, which was very distinctively mid 1980's fashion; they type associated with the youth culture and music of the era.

I am not a big follower of fashion, but when was the last time mainstream fashion was so distinctive and colorful, and distinctive to an era? If you are very conscious of such things, you might be able to explain the tiny changes in high fashion or dress clothes in the last 30 years, but casual cloths from 2021 are mostly indistinguishable from those of 1995.

There's no question that the 1980s were a strong inflexion point. Not only that, but it also marked the early boundary of strong retro movements.

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2021, 12:12:03 am »

Obviously, the 1980s was when we lost control of our hair...  ::)  ;D

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2021, 12:27:10 pm »
... and our shoulder pads.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2021, 03:36:44 pm »

Obviously, the 1980s was when we lost control of our hair...  ::)  ;D

So many little ozones were sacrificed for all that hair

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2021, 09:15:59 pm »
I'll throw a couple more in the pot...

Computers and their operating systems.

The 1980s were a period of incredible innovation and creativity, if you were into that sort of thing. Every week it seemed some new manufacturer was coming up with new idea and the products developed at a pace. Once you had your hands on the machines, assuming you were not just there for the games you were almost driven to being creative, through graphics, audio, animation etc. and every new release expanded what was possible.And it was a tinkerer's paradise, both hardware and software could be altered, expanded and shaped to your own wishes.

Now in the 2020s we have just a handful of OS manufacturers who do everything they can to control what you do with their systems. They say what you can and cannot run, what you may or may not do with their software, and spy on you to boot. On the face of it there are far more harware choices, but mostly they are just variations on a theme and equally as un-customisable as the OSs. As to creativity, that's just not what the devices of the 2020s are sold as; rather, they are mainly just positioned as gateways to the internet. There are some exceptions (such as the RPi), but nothing like in the 80s.

Fashion.

Throughout the 20th century up until somewhere around the 80s, due to cost and availability the vast majority of people would have to choose their clothing carefully as it would need to last. If you couldn't afford an outfit, you'd get out the needle and thread and learn the valuable skill of sewing. If things wore oit, you'd mend them until they were nothing but rags and then you'd use the rags until they disintegrated.

Now we have 'fast fashion'; people are encouraged to buy cloths, wear then a couple of times and then throw them away and buy more. Great for the profits of the clothing companies, awful for the next to slave labour making the garments up (got to keep the unit cost down...) and terrible for the environment.

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2021, 08:34:18 pm by Miranda.T »

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2021, 06:10:06 pm »
Blackpool Illuminations were much better back then too.
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #18 on: September 04, 2021, 02:21:44 pm »
And let's not forget being able to go out for a walk, with an electronics project in mind, then after lunch casually pass by Tandy/Radio Shack at your local strip mall, and be able to complete said project by nightfall. *sigh*

RJBowman

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2021, 02:46:10 pm »
I'll throw a couple more in the pot...

Computers and their operating systems.

The 1980s were a period of incredible innovation and creativity, if you were into that sort of thing. Every week it seemed some new manufacturer was coming up with new idea and the products developed at a pace. Once you had your hands on the machines, assuming you were not just there for the games you were almost driven to being creative, through graphics, audio, animation etc. and every new release expanded what was possible.And it was a tinkerer's paradise, both hardware and software could be altered, expanded and shaped to your own wishes.

Now in the 2020s we have just a handful of OS manufacturers who do everything they can to control what you do with their systems. They say what you can and cannot run, what you may or may not do with their software, and spy on you to boot. On the face of it there are far more harware choices, but mostly they are just variations on a theme and equally as un-customisable as the OSs. As to creativity, that's just not what the devices of the 2020s are sold as; rather, they are mainly just positioned as gateways to the internet. There are some exceptions (such as the RPi), but nothing like in the 80s.

Fashion.

Throughout the 20th century up until somewhere around the 80s, due to cost and availability the vast majority of people would have to choose their clothing carefully as it would need to last. If you couldn't afford an outfit, you'd get out the needle and thread and learn the valuable skill of sewing. If things wore oit, you'd mend them until they were nothing but rags and then you'd use the rags until they disintegrated.

Now we have 'fast fashion'; people are encouraged to buy cloths, wear then a couple of times and then throw them away and buy more. Great for the profits of the clothing companies, awful for the next to slave labour making the garments up (got to keep the unit cost down...) and terrible for the environment.

Yours,
Miranda.

And Microsoft (and its predicessor IBM) are basically the villains in the scenario, for pushing a standardization that killed innovation.

Exemplary of what happened was the Amiga, which was designed by Jay Miner, formerly of Atari, and was basically the third step; first the 2600 video game, then the Atari 800 computer which was a massive innovation that had some vestiges of the 2600 design, then the Amiga, which was the leap forward from the Atari 800. It was the first mass market machine with true multitsaking, and the first real mulitmedia machine. IBM and the compatibles manufactures knew they had to crush it, so they hard-sold their boring text machines as the only "legitimate" business machines, and pointed to Amiga's multimedia capability as evidence that it was only good for playing games. And people actually bought into it. The machine that should have been the leader of the new generation of technology became the alternate-culture gaming and art machine.

Amiga went on for about a decade, but never caught on like it should have. If you read computer magazines from the era, you saw that graphic and sound cards slowly began to approach the capabilities of the Amiga over the following decade, and the reviewers wrote of them as if it were incredible never-before-seen innovations. After about ten years, the compatibles had more or less caught up to Amiga, and Amiga had closed shop.

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2021, 07:41:09 pm »
The 1920s were better than the 2020s, because:

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2021, 08:11:28 pm »

And Microsoft (and its predicessor IBM) are basically the villains in the scenario, for pushing a standardization that killed innovation.

Exemplary of what happened was the Amiga, which was designed by Jay Miner, formerly of Atari, and was basically the third step; first the 2600 video game, then the Atari 800 computer which was a massive innovation that had some vestiges of the 2600 design, then the Amiga, which was the leap forward from the Atari 800. It was the first mass market machine with true multitsaking, and the first real mulitmedia machine. IBM and the compatibles manufactures knew they had to crush it, so they hard-sold their boring text machines as the only "legitimate" business machines, and pointed to Amiga's multimedia capability as evidence that it was only good for playing games. And people actually bought into it. The machine that should have been the leader of the new generation of technology became the alternate-culture gaming and art machine.

Amiga went on for about a decade, but never caught on like it should have. If you read computer magazines from the era, you saw that graphic and sound cards slowly began to approach the capabilities of the Amiga over the following decade, and the reviewers wrote of them as if it were incredible never-before-seen innovations. After about ten years, the compatibles had more or less caught up to Amiga, and Amiga had closed shop.

Absolutely, although some of us rebels still use the Amiga's descendants - I'm currently typing this on a MorphOS iMac (the OS is still sadly tied to ancient Apple PPC hardware) and for work I use an AROS powered laptop.

Blackpool Illuminations were much better back then too.

Walsall Arboretum used to have Balckpool's cast-offs, but that's stopped now too...

And let's not forget being able to go out for a walk, with an electronics project in mind, then after lunch casually pass by Tandy/Radio Shack at your local strip mall, and be able to complete said project by nightfall. *sigh*

Agreed! I really miss Maplins here in the UK. Although they'd been going downhill in terms of hobbyist electronics for a while before they folded. I went in once for some transistors and found they had a grand total of three in stock.

I'm just about old enough to remember staff filling up the car at a service station.

Yours,
Miranda.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:14:26 pm by Miranda.T »

J. Wilhelm

• Board Moderator
  • Immortal
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2021, 11:02:17 pm »

SNIP

Agreed! I really miss Maplins here in the UK. Although they'd been going downhill in terms of hobbyist electronics for a while before they folded. I went in once for some transistors and found they had a grand total of three in stock.

I'm just about old enough to remember staff filling up the car at a service station.

Yours,
Miranda.

In some countries it's illegal for drivers to self-serve. I don't know if it's illegal in Mexico, but the gas stations which are state owned still are full service. You have to remember to tip, and most people buy a set amount of fuel in cash, as opposed to filling up to avoid scams. I don't think I remember full service in the American Southwest, and I have memory going back to 1976.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In their heyday, Radio Shack stores could be found in "every corner" somewhat like pharmacies. Every shopping mall had one, and they were peppered across the city in smaller strip malls. You could get a haircut and go shopping for a car stereo or DIY electronics in the same stop. When the shopping mall died, that was the nail that broke the Camel's back, because they depended on smartphone sales by then.

Radio Shack in the 1970s

Radio shack was very good at having general interest electronics from audio components, through analog electronics, communications equipment and later digital chips. They complimented their products with Tandy brand stereo components and ham radios built for them in Japan and China. The quality of the products was good, but they lacked brand name and were slightly more expensive than famous Japanese brands so they couldn't break past the 1990s with their Hi-fi products.

In the 80s, they made one of the first "portable" cell phones and a few "portable" computers, and later they also commissioned portable computers from Japan which looked like handheld calculators, circa 1986 using Basic, but they couldn't compete with HP programmable calculators at the time (naturally I had both, Tandy and HP). They carried toys like RC toys, and in the early 90s suspended the Tandy Hi-Fi line concentrating mostly on Tandy PC products like cables and media, and they began to carry RCA brand audio and video products.

Radioshack-Cell Phone Commercial

In the 1990s, interest in DIY electronics dwindled, and the stores found themselves in trouble and closing, since RCA video and Tandy PC did not carry the weight of famous brands like Sony and HP either. They followed the PC market in the 2000s, but lost ground to "computer supermarkets" like "CompUSA." The computer supermarkets themselves started to go out of business at the start of the 2010s, as operating systems became more restricted with Android and iOS portable products.

When Apple broke big with iPhone, and competing smart phones flooded the market as you approached the 2010s, they tried their hand at carrying various brands of cell and smart phones, like regular smartphone dealers do today. But you could tell the company was in trouble as they kept reducing their stock and changing their product focus. At some point I thought they had been reduced to a smartphone dealer with a few extra PC product lines like "Gigaware" (interesting stuff like a pluggable HD radio module for the iPhone, which I have). Their last product introduced in the last couple of years of life included Arduino and Raspberry Pi projects.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 11:53:20 pm by J. Wilhelm »

Hurricane Annie

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2021, 05:55:28 am »

Regarding  regulations against self serve petrol stations. Unfortunately it is another sign of the times. With the price of petrol rising to extortionate luxury  levels, "drive offs" have  become all to common. That is driving off with out paying for petrol.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2021, 06:38:30 am »
Ah yes, the days when you went to a service station , not a petrol station. In Australia, we still call them servos, but haven't got the service for about 25 years.

I have noticed that a number of the petrol stations, especially those staffed by one person, will only allow prepaid petrol to be bought after certain hours (i.e, swipe your credit card before filling up).

Australia doesn't do tips for things like retail. We expect employees to be paid by their boss at a defined rate for adequate work, not the customer.

Sorontar