Author Topic: Past Imperfect  (Read 1306 times)

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
Past Imperfect
« on: July 31, 2021, 11:05:02 am »
Past Imperfect is the working title for an exhibition I am slowly planning.

Here's the backstory:

I do like watching shows about people driving around and rummaging through old homes and barns, finding and buying old stuff. All those "pickers" shows and other related programs.

I also like reading fiction, in particular science fiction, and a few of the novels I have read propose the "multiverse" theory. "There are other worlds than these" and so on. King, Koontz, Pratchett and Baxter have all done this. Some of them have used potatoes.

Now then, imagine if a couple of pickers could travel from one universe in the multiverse to another to go picking. If they could just take a "step to the left" and go one world over, pick a few old barns and come back with things that never existed here.

Things that could not have existed here as the technology for them was not around over here at the time they were made over there back then.

Or words to that effect.

With all this in mind, I am starting to build "punk" old artefacts that were picked from another world. You have seen the construct I am building, why I am building it has escaped me for a while. It was inspired by the constructs in "Perdido Street Station" (my favourite novel) and now I look at it, well it could have been picked off the junk pile a world over and brought back here. So the "Sher Flora-bot, model E22" is the first item for the exhibition.

Here is something else underway:

and

This started as a scale model punk racer, but now I realise it is in fact an old children's pull along toy based on a real race car from one world over. This will be the "Trenchfield Trundler" special edition. I will find an old wooden crate for it and mock up an old torn faded paper label for the crate.

Other items I have in mind to construct for this exhibition are the "Parleyphone" (Early video phone) a couple of children's toy robots (based on real life domestic constructs) and a motorised mono-cycle/unicycle type machine.

The idea is to build everything to look as functional as possible, and as domestic as possible. The cast offs and detritus of a time past in a different place.

More soon ...
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 03:19:32 am by maduncle »
”Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown”

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
Re: Past Imperfect
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2021, 02:52:52 pm »
Reminds me of "Rover 300," a popular child's automaton pet, after the great cat and dog plague of 2045.

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2021, 01:40:22 am »
I like it!

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 04:39:36 am »
The "Trenchfiled Trundler" children's pull along toy for the exhibition - update.

Wheels set in place with axle sleeves.

Fuel cell and exhaust fitted.

Pull rope and handle fitted.

Chain drive for power generation for the lights fitted.

Brass cockpit fitted, ready for detailing with joystick, seat and windscreen.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2021, 04:42:05 am »
For the exhibition, this will be an arcane form of videotelecommunication.

Now stripped down, with some parts polished and other parts partly polished but retaining patina.

I have a large fresnel lens on order to fit behind the grill, then I will fit an old WW2 pilots headset and chest mike on a lead coming from the unit.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2021, 10:58:33 am »
I'm loving your work, could I ask where this exhibition is to be held?

Keep 'em coming

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2021, 11:27:06 am »
For the exhibition, this will be an arcane form of video-telecommunication.
Now stripped down, with some parts polished and other parts partly polished but retaining patina.
I have a large fresnel lens on order to fit behind the grill, then I will fit an old WW2 pilots headset and chest mike on a lead coming from the unit.

Would look really impressive silvered! Or gilded with gold (& yes, I see it!)

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 06:53:45 am »
I'm loving your work, could I ask where this exhibition is to be held?

Keep 'em coming

At this stage in my home town of Healesville, Victoria (Australia).

I may run it as an event with one or two other artists under the banner "Salvage".

Reason being, I am also looking at ways to support my volunteer fire brigade in Healesville (I am a member) with fundraising to support the replacement of one of our trucks, known as "Healesville Salvage" (Basically a big tool box on wheels).

Having an exhibition featuring artists using salvage to create art can tie in with the fund raising.

mizzarrogh

• Officer
  • *** To the North! *** (they/them)
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 12:33:55 pm »
That sounds realy awsome!

Cora Courcelle

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2021, 10:10:57 am »
I want a 'Parleyphone'.
Just because of the wonderful name!
You have to tread a fine line between avant-garde surrealism and getting yourself sectioned...

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2021, 10:34:45 am »
Here's another one whipped up for the exhibition.

The Rover Expedition Lamp.

Fully functioning moveable floor lamp.