Author Topic: ~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~ Trinkets, Taxidermy, Trash ~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~  (Read 5425 times)

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
Re: ~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~ Trinkets, Taxidermy, Trash ~Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ~
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2021, 12:16:40 pm »
About that central heater thing,(personaly i think it is super cool!)  Is is just a self circulating system, or did You use any pump module or so for it?

I wish i could get my hands on some of those Talon clamps outside the UK, but nobody seem to sell them in  my country.  :)

I went to a scrap yard and grabbed a few Combi boiler main heat exchangers which initially look like this....

Soaked them in industrial paint stripper to remove as much silver paint as possible.

They are all plumbed directly into the central heating system using the existing combi boiler pump, as if a radiator, a flow and return.

Another one attached to a painted towel rail in my kitchen....

One semi cleaned and awaiting a project....

« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 12:50:45 pm by SeVeNeVeS »

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2021, 12:46:44 pm »
This was a totaly awesome idea!

I need to install radiators in the old farmhouse since there was no radiators to begin with whan i moven in here, i will deffinitly hawe a look if they hawe any of those copper radiators on the town scrapyard here!

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2021, 01:37:15 pm »
I've also found it possible to drill a hole in the face of the radiator and soft solder copper extentions by cleaning and tinning the steel....

An on going project, somewhere to wash and dry my socks, a utility room kinda thing in the form of a pumping station feel,

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2021, 02:16:34 pm »
That's a brilliant idea repurposing car radiators. 
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2021, 02:44:41 pm »
That's a brilliant idea repurposing car radiators. 

They are actually from scrapped central heating boilers, but now that you mention it, car radiators could be an option to look into........

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2021, 03:01:16 pm »
You did say they were combi boilers and I misread  :-[

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2021, 09:03:18 pm »
I think any copper or brass radiotor that can withstand the heat will do.  :)

Personaly i realy like the unusual shape of those on the pictures.

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2021, 09:53:18 pm »
Absolutely amazing creations! Yours is not a home, it's a magnificent work of Steampunk art; galleries would charge a small fortune in admission fees to see installations such as you have created. I can only imagine how many hours of painstaking work have gone into them.

Yours,
Miranda.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2021, 07:41:02 am »
Absolutely amazing creations! Yours is not a home, it's a magnificent work of Steampunk art; galleries would charge a small fortune in admission fees to see installations such as you have created. I can only imagine how many hours of painstaking work have gone into them.

Yours,
Miranda.

Thank you so much Miranda, a few Sundays over a few years, my Brother says it's starting to look like a museum, if only.

Hark back to the egg, that egg needed something to sit upon and I had a squeaky floorboard..... things just snowballed from there.......

A coffee table was constructed and embellished then a hole cut in my living room floor with 25mm walk on glass set upon salvaged mahogany, levelled with a car scissor jack, hole dug, a few slabs and bricks and of course some skulls......

I do tend to get a little carried away with things sometimes.

And the floor squeaks no more.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2021, 08:56:39 am by SeVeNeVeS »

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2021, 05:08:07 pm »
That is such a great idea, and superbly executed!

Yours,
Miranda.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #35 on: September 04, 2021, 12:47:02 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Thanks again, at least one person here likes it.

Due to the obvious lack of interest, I will not be updating this thread and have decided to let it sink down to the depths of Davy Jones' Locker.

Shame.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2021, 01:14:16 pm by SeVeNeVeS »

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #36 on: September 04, 2021, 04:17:09 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Due to the obvious lack of interest, I will not be updating this thread and have decided to let it sink down to the depths of Davy Jones' Locker.

Shame.
Nooo! Show us more please!
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2021, 04:24:46 pm »
^^^ What VC said^^^

I might not say much but then again that's mostly because of my view that merely saying 'nice' or 'good' is just noise.  This thread has given me an idea or two for my own project.     

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #38 on: September 05, 2021, 07:36:40 am »
^^^ What VC said^^^

I might not say much but then again that's mostly because of my view that merely saying 'nice' or 'good' is just noise.  This thread has given me an idea or two for my own project.    
like what?
Please don't get me wrong here, I am not after adulation in any way, just a reply now and then to confirm I'm not boring you even to say you don't like it, far too many dead things, that reminds me of a penis  ;) or questions on how I did it... etc.

Any noise, even a pin dropped in a world of silence can sometimes be a cacophony and can reassure one that yes, it's worth carrying on.

Surely a community should have some kind of reciprocating dialogue, which frankly seems to be somewhat absent these days compared to the past.

For any one in the UK thinking of a glass floor, I used Diomet Online https://diometonline.co.uk/walk-on-floor-glass my one cost £280 inc delivery, very cheep for 25mm toughened / laminated glass I thought.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 07:40:24 am by SeVeNeVeS »

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #39 on: September 05, 2021, 07:49:37 am »
^^^ What VC said^^^

I might not say much but then again that's mostly because of my view that merely saying 'nice' or 'good' is just noise.  This thread has given me an idea or two for my own project.    
like what?
Please don't get me wrong here, I am not after adulation in any way, just a reply now and then to confirm I'm not boring you even to say you don't like it, far too many dead things, that reminds me of a penis  ;) or questions on how I did it... etc.

Any noise, even a pin dropped in a world of silence can sometimes be a cacophony and can reassure one that yes, it's worth carrying on.

Surely a community should have some kind of reciprocating dialogue, which frankly seems to be somewhat absent these days compared to the past.

For any one in the UK thinking of a glass floor, I used Diomet Online https://diometonline.co.uk/walk-on-floor-glass my one cost £280 inc delivery, very cheep for 25mm toughened / laminated glass I thought.

Well, the use of boiler heat transfer elements has got me thinking about something I could do when I finally get around to replacing the radiator in my bathroom.  The glass in the floorboard has reminded me of those cast iron floor vents and now I'm thinking whether I could put some of those in, when I replace the sitting room floor.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #40 on: September 05, 2021, 08:20:32 am »
^^^ What VC said^^^

I might not say much but then again that's mostly because of my view that merely saying 'nice' or 'good' is just noise.  This thread has given me an idea or two for my own project.    
like what?

Well, the use of boiler heat transfer elements has got me thinking about something I could do when I finally get around to replacing the radiator in my bathroom.  The glass in the floorboard has reminded me of those cast iron floor vents and now I'm thinking whether I could put some of those in, when I replace the sitting room floor.

Some more closeups of what started as a standard off the shelf towel rail.

I built a wooden frame as a backing from mdf painted the lot green and used some reclaimed tiles from my Mums garden as a plinth.

In hindsight I wish I'd used 22mm and not 15mm, it kinda gets a liittle lost.

Food for thought.

I've found cast iron door mats to be usefull, something like this.....

« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 08:35:02 am by SeVeNeVeS »

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #41 on: September 05, 2021, 08:30:25 am »
Do you mean using 22mm diameter pipe there?

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #42 on: September 05, 2021, 08:38:58 am »
Do you mean using 22mm diameter pipe there?

Sorry, yes I should have used 22mm pipe, the 15mm looks too skinny for the size of the project, I may change it at a later date.

I am currently collecting bits and bobs for a very large radiator, a full wall piece for the bathroom, this one is going to be very Industrial rather than Steampunk, mostly sprayed black and grey with hints of copper and brass.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2021, 09:43:27 am by SeVeNeVeS »

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #43 on: September 09, 2021, 02:25:12 pm »
Dawn awsome! I totaly love them all, the floor window is just stunnign in my opinion!
I am not going to mention what the whole lighthouse look like with a bit of human fantasy...  ;D

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #44 on: September 09, 2021, 04:39:13 pm »

Yours,
Miranda.

Shame.

Please don't assume there's a lack of interest. To be honest, in the last month and a half I've been so busy at work that I tend not to read other members' posts. I barely have time to eat and sleep after work. Sometimes I'll post while riding the bus (hence the city scapes in my posts). Your taxidermy work reminded me of some museum pieces that we posted about a decade ago. I meant to reply on that, but I don't think I said much. And your excellent pipework, I just noticed today!

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2021, 03:31:31 pm »
Plugging away........

After a days work, I ended up with this, an old and very rusty telephone wire steel bracket with ceramic (?) ends......

I'm thinking a darn good clean with a flap wheel to rid most of the rust and some black hammerite paint, maybe a washing line anchor for the garden, if not, just a feature screwed to the wall.  :-\

James Harrison

• Immortal
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2021, 06:29:50 pm »
What a shame they aren't made like that any more.  When I had the telephone line reinstated at mine (the previous owners had cable), I had to be content with some awful plastic thing.  And don't get me started on the Jodrell Bank arrangement of inactive/ half-working television apparatus clinging onto the roof and front wall...

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2021, 07:30:12 am »
What a shame they aren't made like that any more.  When I had the telephone line reinstated at mine (the previous owners had cable), I had to be content with some awful plastic thing.  And don't get me started on the Jodrell Bank arrangement of inactive/ half-working television apparatus clinging onto the roof and front wall...

I totally agree, everything these days is made as purely functional with almost no consideration for design, a little finesse can go a long way.

I had some time to flap it and apply some paint, looking a bit better, give it a few days, some touch ups and it will be on my garden wall.

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2021, 10:58:59 am »
A friend of my father dug down a lot of those in a local landfill long time ago, not as beautiful as those red ones, but now i am realy tempted to try to dig up some of them and see if they can be salvaged.
At least i will try to dig there and see if i can find anything useful, but it will be after the winter here since the soil became rock hard here in the winter and not possible to dig anymore.  :)

RJBowman

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #49 on: September 14, 2021, 12:44:55 am »
Plugging away........

After a days work, I ended up with this, an old and very rusty telephone wire steel bracket with ceramic (?) ends......

Ceramic...insulators. The wires, which were probably bare metal without any kind of insulation, cloth, rubber, or otherwise, was tied to those ceramic insulators. It kept the current from running through the metal bracket.