Author Topic: Pirate Guacamole And Bumbo  (Read 817 times)

chicar

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • Student in Techno-Shamanism and Lyncanthrope
    • My Facebook Page
Pirate Guacamole And Bumbo
« on: July 27, 2021, 07:19:36 pm »
From Too Early, Yet Fit For A Air Pirates Party:
https://youtu.be/FNg71yR7b-E
The word pagan came from paganus , who mean peasant . Its was a way to significate than christianism was the religion of the elite and paganism the one of the savage worker class.

''Trickster shows us how we trick OURSELVES. Her rampant curiosity backfires, but, then, something NEW is discovered (though usually not what She expected)! This is where creativity comes from—experiment, do something different, maybe even something forbidden, and voila! A breakthrough occurs! Ha! Ha! We are released! The world is created anew! Do something backwards, break your own traditions, the barrier breaks; destroy the world as you know it, let the new in.''
Extract of the Dreamflesh article ''Path of The Sacred Clown''

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
Re: Pirate Guacamole And Bumbo
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2021, 10:28:29 pm »
From Too Early, Yet Fit For A Air Pirates Party:
https://youtu.be/FNg71yR7b-E

No. Just no. These are fighting words. I don't care if this guy is a historian. >:( You don't get to say that the **first** recipe for Guacamole was written by British Privateer /Pirate, William Dampier in 1697 while in Panama. Just no!! Worse, the English language description of the wiki entry includes the William Dampier story, and the Spanish version of wiki includes no mention of William Dampier but the correct etimology of the word:

The name "Guacamole" comes from the Nahuatl (Aztec) word "Alhuacamolli" which literally means "Avocado Sauce," a portmanteau of the words "Ahuacatl" in Spanish "Aguacate," meaning avocado (or certain "nether regions" of male anatomy as pointed out by this historian), and "molli", "mole" in Mexican Spanish, meaning "sauce." Guacamole was first encountered after Hernán Cortés" 1512 conquest of the Aztec capital Tenochtitlán. Period. The implication being that Guacamole preceeded the Spanish conquest, and moreover it would at least be recorded pictographically or logographically by prehispanic people, and *then* written in Latin alphabet by natives who were taught to read and write by the Spanish. The first orthographically written description of Guacamole could easily be in Nahuatl using the Latin alphabet as written by native hands, or at least written in Spanish by a nun or monk in the 16th century. No sugar would be involved in the first recipe much less plantains, which in the Americas were an import from Africa by the Spanish or Portuguese.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2021, 11:21:49 pm by J. Wilhelm »

chicar

• Rogue Ætherlord
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2021, 12:12:00 pm »
I took into myself to transmit your reaction to him .Because  it is among my deepest beliefs you shall not keep accidental cultural appropriation unmentioned.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2021, 12:17:12 pm by chicar »

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2021, 07:50:45 am »
I took into myself to transmit your reaction to him .Because  it is among my deepest beliefs you shall not keep accidental cultural appropriation unmentioned.

Oh. He already got a comment from m on YouTube. I don't know if he read it though. I also asked a historian, @Tlahtoani_1521 on Twitter to give his reaction, but the latter ignored me. I still have my high school buddy who is a tenured professor in Mexico City, but he's into Western history, and he teaches 20th century Asian political history, not necessarily pre-Hispanic cultures, which is what we need to argue the point.

Most useful, it'd be to have a real debate on the subject, though. Otherwise the cultural domination of history written in English becomes perpetuated.

Like the false concept of the "Spanish Moors," pushed in English literature since Elizabethan times. The Moors were only a small tribe and they weren't Sub-Saharan, and only played a small role in the formation of Spanish Caliphates. But for some reason, probably involving Sir William Shakespeare, we have a partícula notion  that it was the Moors who conquered Spain, which is completely wrong, and yet is permanently pushed by amateur historians and even plays a role in some cultural traditions like the controversial helper of the Dutch Sinterklaas, "Swart Piete," supposedly a Moor.

chicar

• Rogue Ætherlord
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2021, 01:38:02 pm »
Yet Another Pirate Dish:
https://youtu.be/ywGjytAOnHo