Author Topic: Any archives of beginner projects?  (Read 2372 times)

Naytreox

• Swab
Any archives of beginner projects?
« on: July 03, 2021, 03:20:15 pm »
Hello, im new and new to steampunk stuff IRL, though i have more experience with steampunk themed games (to play city of steam again)

but i want to try and make some stuff, however my mechanical comprehension and engineering skills are low at best, nonexistent at worst, i have no electrical engineering skills, but i know true steampunk stuff is both fashionable and functional, its what drew me to the look to begin with, after all why sacrifice beauty for function?

However such stuff requires moving parts like adding a functional analog clock to your top hat.

are there any projects that a pure beginner can do?

also what books would you recommend to make a smart phone look better? without losing its function? or is that type of stuff less accessible to new steams?

thanks in advance!  :D

mizzarrogh

• Officer
Re: Any archives of beginner projects?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2021, 08:21:37 pm »
No, problem, honestly i think very little You will find here is actually functional in traditional meaning most of it are just decorative props, a few times with some motion in order to make the piece more interesting to look at.

Set the aim on something You actually want to do and think would be actually fun to learn.  :)

E.J.MonCrieff

• Officer
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2021, 09:30:49 pm »

also what books would you recommend to make a smart phone look better? without losing its function? or is that type of stuff less accessible to new steams?

I think the idea of a steampunk mobile phone is a very good one - I'd been wondering about it too.  It should be possible to adapt a very basic mobile phone handset to work with with an authentic-lookiing old-fashioned telephone handset.  Remember that it has to be mobile, not necessarily portable - so you could always pull the equipment around on a cart.  Think of the very early handsets - they made bricks look streamlined!

Do you have a local hackspace?

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2021, 10:38:53 pm »
You might look through The Definitive Goggles Threads, Volume 1 and Volume 2.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Naytreox

• Swab
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2021, 04:40:35 am »

I think the idea of a steampunk mobile phone is a very good one - I'd been wondering about it too.  It should be possible to adapt a very basic mobile phone handset to work with with an authentic-lookiing old-fashioned telephone handset.  Remember that it has to be mobile, not necessarily portable - so you could always pull the equipment around on a cart.  Think of the very early handsets - they made bricks look streamlined!

Do you have a local hackspace?

actsually i had already thought of that one. it would be a moblie phone holder for the house, i normally have one in front of me to watch youtube vids on, but you can adapt that into a holder with a clip ob case, it would require that you have a headphone jack with a pair of headphones witha Microphone attached as you would want to put that in  the hand phone itself, with the mic where you talk into and the headphones where you listen, this way you get a call to answer then pull the phone out.

after that you can watch youtube videos on it as the screen is right there you would have to just not hook up the headphones to it to not have to hold it all the time.

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2021, 12:52:27 pm »
I use old books from the library archive as my main source in order to understand the basic principle of the mecanic behind actual things, from that point one can break it down into smaller elements of a certain function and then combine those together for a particular project one hawe in mind.

Most of my own projects are functional, but on the other side one often want to to add in elements that need a sorto made up explanation beside the purly decorative function if one wwant to go for a deep realistic style.

For example if i want to incorporate electric tubes i start with studies of wich particular types i can relativly easy get my hands on and from there chategorize them into wich types does hawe parameters i can use for the project and how can i design this into a construction that are safe to use, wich functions can i achieve with those, can i drive the finished project with a portable battery that can easily be hide in cloathing or does it require to be plugged into the wall, etc.

For example, we want a wireless charger, can i take a pre made device apart and use the intestines in a different construction that are still safe to use, shall it be an open, wisible design, or do i want to hide it under a wooden slab, etc.

Does the intestines of this computermouse fit into the sheepcranium i found last year, if not how can i reassemble it and put it together again in order to make it fit, etc, at least for me it is much easier when i have a rough idea, to hawe some physical pieces to play around with and an idea of how they might be implemented in reality.

Naytreox

• Swab
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2021, 04:23:35 pm »
I use old books from the library archive as my main source in order to understand the basic principle of the mecanic behind actual things, from that point one can break it down into smaller elements of a certain function and then combine those together for a particular project one hawe in mind.

Most of my own projects are functional, but on the other side one often want to to add in elements that need a sorto made up explanation beside the purly decorative function if one wwant to go for a deep realistic style.

For example if i want to incorporate electric tubes i start with studies of wich particular types i can relativly easy get my hands on and from there chategorize them into wich types does hawe parameters i can use for the project and how can i design this into a construction that are safe to use, wich functions can i achieve with those, can i drive the finished project with a portable battery that can easily be hide in cloathing or does it require to be plugged into the wall, etc.

For example, we want a wireless charger, can i take a pre made device apart and use the intestines in a different construction that are still safe to use, shall it be an open, wisible design, or do i want to hide it under a wooden slab, etc.

Does the intestines of this computer mouse fit into the sheepcranium i found last year, if not how can i reassemble it and put it together again in order to make it fit, etc, at least for me it is much easier when i have a rough idea, to hawe some physical pieces to play around with and an idea of how they might be implemented in reality.

would you say that the ROKR style wooden 3d puzzles would be a good starting point for someone absolutely new to analog machinery? their puzzles have moving parts when finished and i think it would be a good starting point for myself before moving on to other things perhaps even making larger scale versions for like their clocks

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2021, 07:45:17 pm »
I know this is very individual, but personally i had probably sketched it up in a 3D cad program first (But You can of course just go directly on a cardboard mock up model and cutting it out by hand for example and only change the parts that need to be adjusted, personally i use Lego and Meccano a lot for testing out ideas).
It requires a bit of mathematics, but it is technically not that hard to design cogwheels.
Cogwheels from scrap almost newer fit to each other, so here You will have a massive advantage if You can design them.  :)

Naytreox

• Swab
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2021, 03:41:37 am »
I know this is very individual, but personally i had probably sketched it up in a 3D cad program first (But You can of course just go directly on a cardboard mock up model and cutting it out by hand for example and only change the parts that need to be adjusted, personally i use Lego and Meccano a lot for testing out ideas).
It requires a bit of mathematics, but it is technically not that hard to design cogwheels.
Cogwheels from scrap almost newer fit to each other, so here You will have a massive advantage if You can design them.  :)

I would have a better time if i had a small 3D printer, however i did get a book called "Steampunk: Gear,Gadgets and Gizmos, a makers guide to creating modern artifacts" by Tomas Willeford which goes into depth about some projects that i could get into.

one of the ones was a phone holder that is from a model T Ford ignition Coil that is a wooden box essentially.

i have ideas to make it less an enclosure and more of a phone case i can have, a clip on one that allows me to remove it when i need to.

essentually i plan to take the T model (i found plenty on e-bay) and reduce the boxes size  to be a more thin wooden brick.
the phone will already have a phone case on it but it will be one with a clip or hoop that i can attach to some string inside (with a place in the back of the box to remove the string and tie it) this will allow the phone to stay inside with the ability to remove it when i want, afterwords the box front face will have hinges and a latch so i can use it to access my phone without removing it from the box.

Naytreox

• Swab
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2021, 03:37:17 pm »

Does the intestines of this computermouse fit into the sheepcranium i found last year, if not how can i reassemble it and put it together again in order to make it fit, etc, at least for me it is much easier when i have a rough idea, to hawe some physical pieces to play around with and an idea of how they might be implemented in reality.

would you say those ROKR puzzles would be a good starting point for seeing how analog systems work?

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2021, 10:20:09 pm »
I hawe honestly newer made one so i can't realy tell, but parts of them might be.
You don't need a 3D printer, just print it out on a piece of paper, or draw it by hand.

I don't use any printer at all for my project once i hawe figured out the design.  :)
But i usualy make things from scrap or things i can make in the blacksmith forge.
I am no expert on making pussle boxes.

Naytreox

• Swab
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2021, 10:58:54 pm »
I hawe honestly newer made one so i can't realy tell, but parts of them might be.
You don't need a 3D printer, just print it out on a piece of paper, or draw it by hand.

I don't use any printer at all for my project once i hawe figured out the design.  :)
But i usualy make things from scrap or things i can make in the blacksmith forge.

could you rephrase that? i don't understand what your saying, what do you mean by Hawe?

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2021, 11:56:38 pm »

I don't use any printer at all for my project once i hawe figured out the design.  :)

could you rephrase that? i don't understand what your saying, what do you mean by Hawe?
"Have." Once you've read a few of mizzarogh's posts, you learn to translate. ;)

Naytreox

• Swab
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2021, 07:10:13 am »

I don't use any printer at all for my project once i hawe figured out the design.  :)

your saying they speak in "owo"?

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2021, 08:33:55 am »

I'm saying they write with a strong Swedish accent. ;D

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2021, 02:27:29 pm »

I'm saying they write with a strong Swedish accent. ;D

And very understandable.....Uuuuum, not everyone on this forum has English as a first language and some use an internet translator, so please have some kind of respect for their efforts. ::)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2021, 02:31:52 pm by SeVeNeVeS »

E.J.MonCrieff

• Officer
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2021, 07:41:55 pm »

I would have a better time if i had a small 3D printer, however i did get a book called "Steampunk: Gear,Gadgets and Gizmos, a makers guide to creating modern artifacts" by Tomas Willeford which goes into depth about some projects that i could get into.

one of the ones was a phone holder that is from a model T Ford ignition Coil that is a wooden box essentially.

i have ideas to make it less an enclosure and more of a phone case i can have, a clip on one that allows me to remove it when i need to.

essentually i plan to take the T model (i found plenty on e-bay) and reduce the boxes size  to be a more thin wooden brick.
the phone will already have a phone case on it but it will be one with a clip or hoop that i can attach to some string inside (with a place in the back of the box to remove the string and tie it) this will allow the phone to stay inside with the ability to remove it when i want, afterwords the box front face will have hinges and a latch so i can use it to access my phone without removing it from the box.

Thanks for the reference to the book by Thomas Willeford.  I've ordered a copy from the States for myself, and another for a Steampunk friend.  Nothing like a few good ideas to inspire me during the winter evenings.

Kensington Locke

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2021, 01:50:48 pm »

Thomas's 2 books are a good place to start.  Get the kids book as well.  The reason is that there's good projects in there and the only difference is making it with leather and better crafting.

Key to that is this, what kind of crafting experience do you have? I am thinking next to none, primarily because an experienced crafter tends to already be diving in to the next project.  You're hesitancy signals you're not there yet.  That's OK.  You need some successes, and Thomas's book will help.

Now let's examine that T-Case project (I have the same book). He's using a grimy original object, disassembling and cleaning it, before adapting it.  You can skip that part IF you are comfortable making a box from scratch. It's not hard if you have tools and a bit of woodshop experience. And even with Thomas's version, you still might need to cut some wood.

The basic idea is that you make a box frame that fits your phone (and case), perhaps with some shims.  It'd be wise to cut the box a bit bigger and deeper, and then cut shims to position your current phone so it's centered in the box.

Now imagine that the BACK side of the box is removable or hinged.  That's the side you load the phone in.

On the front side, cut a front panel where the outside edges matches the box. Then cut an inside rectangle that aligns with the screen size (not phone size or internal dimension).  What this does what the front is fixed to the box body is trap your phone against the front, while giving you access to the screen/surface).

Now make a second front panel, and hinge it to the first.  The second front panel hides your screen when it's not in use. has steampunk greebles on it. has a latch to keep it closed.

that's the crux of the T-Case, you'd be doing something like this with the original pattern. I just don't fancy cleaning hundred year old grease.

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2021, 01:25:56 am »

How I wish I'd had the opportunity to learn a bit of engineering at school... Why isn't this taught? To everyone!

Kensington Locke

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2021, 07:18:05 pm »

How I wish I'd had the opportunity to learn a bit of engineering at school... Why isn't this taught? To everyone!

Despite a few score of years. I've not needed to make my own gears yet, but Steampunk would be the hobby to drive that.

So I tried google.  Sure enough, there's an interactive web site to help with that:
https://geargenerator.com/

It can produce CAD files so you can do something else with them

Then this machine shop gives away a program, presumably so you'll be tempted to send them the resulting file to make it for you:
https://www.emachineshop.com/gear-design-software/

von Corax

• Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2021, 07:43:53 pm »

Kensington Locke

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2021, 08:12:56 pm »
Here's another one: https://woodgears.ca/gear_cutting/template.html

that is pretty handy, and probably simpler for somebody looking to make these for decoration/by hand