Author Topic: I need inspiration for model railroad! :)  (Read 1344 times)

mizzarrogh

• Officer
  • *** To the North! *** (they/them)
I need inspiration for model railroad! :)
« on: June 24, 2021, 09:30:47 pm »
Hi guys!

I have a small collection of 1920-50s 0 gauge locomotives and some original tracks and accessory's for them, until now it has been more of a loose display i usually store in boxes when i am not using them, but i decided to build a more permanent table for the tracks and some model steamplants now when i finally got some scrapwood to play with.

It's not really going to be very serious since none of the old tinplate trains are really up to scale or details and the rest of it is a bit wacky 1940s style with felt, pinecones and original trees made of sawdust i had since before and the tinplate houses that comes with it are way out of proportions anyway but i want them in the display.

At first my taught where just to go for a slightly anachronistic traditional 1800 style, like a mix of Victorian fashion and a pinch of a western foresters or cowboy camp in the redwoods, maybe some space related or something, i don't know what would fit in there among our imaginary anachronistic Victorian spacecowboys... (in short words You are free to choose Your weapons for the mission... As long as it fits in reasonably in the theme, it can be anything from 1950s dieselpunk rocket engines to medieval as long as it goes together with the trains, they already had that kind of wacky mishmash to begin with, one could encounter wagons with rocketparts and submarines on the original sets as well... It's sometime goes totally crazy, particularly in the 1940-50s American trainsets and That's why i totally love them so much from that era! ha ha)

I am a big fan of Vadim Voitekhovitch paintings since he's in my opinion a true master of fusing serious historically accurate things with total madness like floating miniature celestial bodies and robots on the streets and still make it looks pretty realistic and functional as it all where just a part of the citizens normal life in the Victorian era to me.

Any ideas are welcome!
(However, my budget is very limited so i have to do it all by my self from scratch or cheap kitbashing as far as it's possible, but i don't want it to look too cheap.)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2021, 09:33:22 pm by mizzarrogh »

Hez

• Zeppelin Captain
  • aka Miss Primrose C Leigh
Re: I need inspiration for model railroad! :)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2021, 02:28:05 am »
Here is some inspiration for building on a small budget.

chironex

• Snr. Officer
  • The typing jellyfish monster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 01:00:43 pm »
Rocket? Yeah-eah!

Satellite of love...
No gel ball ban in WA! http://chng.it/pcKk9qKcVN

QUEENSLAND RAIL NOT FOR SALE!!!!!!

chironex

• Snr. Officer
  • The typing jellyfish monster
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 01:09:46 pm »
Also, I started a thread on fantasy modelling here:
https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/18301

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2021, 01:53:22 pm »
Thank You a lot guys!
I decided to set the scale to roughly around 1:45

I am not going to change anything irreversible on the old trains them self, but i have a loose H0 frame i concider making a miningtrain of.
For those of You who are folowing Martin Zeros Manchester series on Youtube i guess some of You may guess where my aim is set for the mine entrance on a riverside...  :)

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2021, 02:01:12 pm »
Rocket? Yeah-eah!

Satellite of love...

Elon Musk's Starship is looking a lot like these mid 20th century comic rockets  ;D

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2021, 02:20:51 pm »
Yes, they really would fit in as they are, especially the stainless steel ones... ha ha
I think there is a German company that makes actually flying models of some of them that can be equipped with a small solid fuel engine.
(I think there are some retailers in the US for them)

I bought a 3D resin printer last winter and i think we can use it for this project.
I did spend some time watching people making Warhemmer tabletop game models from scrap, and i think the style would fit in parts of this maybe.

Personally i love the contrast with those artistic elements mixed in with actual historical correct objects so it look relatively functional on the surface.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2021, 09:18:15 am »
The more I look at the model railway threads popping up here, the more I remember about the HOn3 scale and the fun things you can do with it.

I like these trolleys.

I was thinking that a "race track" layout would be fun. Build something where contestants line up for a straight sprint. You could have six lines of track side by side and a whole complex set of points to get trolleys from the pits onto their running lane.

Then build scenery for a race track layout.

”Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown”

mizzarrogh

• Officer
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2021, 01:01:24 pm »
I have some vintage TT tracks i think would fit for such project actually.
I considering using some of the smaller scales on the same layout.
It is quite difficult to find HOn3 locomotives where i live, but i will definitely have a look for them, that set You showed here looks awesome!

(I already have the 0 gauge tinplate trainsets, i think they will fit in really good with that set, particularly the LNER and SNCF locos with the soapwagons.  :) )