Author Topic: Maduncle has been a bit absent, but …  (Read 7004 times)

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
Re: Maduncle has been a bit absent, but …
« Reply #50 on: July 25, 2021, 11:09:07 am »
Don't get me wrong, I'm all for gratuitous copper pipe and brass, it's just a random comment someone made in another thread about the over use of copper pipe in Steampunk, which I thought rather ridiculous and I have dwelled on it for far too long..........

You lavish that baby with as much copper pipe as you like!

Looking more than rather splendid so far.

Oh don’t you worry - I was also there on the same thread when the same comment popped up.

I will be playing that line as a long gag for years to come.

”Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown”

Hektor Plasm

• Zeppelin Captain
  • All-Round Oddfellow.
    • The Nefarious Device Company
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2021, 11:59:34 am »
Oh that metal chap looks good!

Welcome back!

(He says, having been absent for ages...  ;D )

HP
"all die! o, the embarrassment."
H Plasm Esq. ICUE    Avatar by and with kind permission of Dr Geof. Ta!!

Some musings:-
http://hektorplasm.blogspot.co.uk/

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2021, 12:17:46 pm »
Looking exceptionally good, maduncle!

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2021, 03:41:12 am »
Thanks folks,

It is getting there.

I need to step back for a while now and ponder, I am still not happy with the head or the eyes and I may replace the eyes or the head entirely when I find an appropriate substitute.

I like the idea of this piece being a constantly evolving work in progress as I build other pieces.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #54 on: July 31, 2021, 10:46:20 am »
I worked on the head today, amazing how just repositioning it to tilt down changed everything about it.

I then repositioned the left eye and added some copper tube and flexible lines to it to tie it in with the rest of the build.

Now I need to look for doo dads to add to the arms, I still may add another universal joint to each arm to articulate at the elbow.

This piece will most likely become part of an exhibition I am now planning, I will start a different thread on that soon.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #55 on: July 31, 2021, 12:10:29 pm »
Nice! For some reason, I think of a robotic goat when I look at the first photo.
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #56 on: July 31, 2021, 02:54:11 pm »
Nice! For some reason, I think of a robotic goat when I look at the first photo.

Shrub Niggurath Model Ïa-35B.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2021, 02:59:58 pm by J. Wilhelm »

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #57 on: August 07, 2021, 08:29:56 am »
Elbows arrived today.

Now I can get on and add some dress parts to the arms once they are fully articulated.

More soon.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #58 on: August 15, 2021, 06:21:55 am »
Sunday update.

I got into the workshop and built the linkages for the elbows.

I then rummaged through the parts bins (sadly not a lot there at the moment) and started detailing the arms.

The left arm is the original electro-mechanical arm that came on the robot when it was originally built and sold as a general purpose agricultural assistant.

The right arm was replaced later with a hydraulic unit, when the robot was upgraded to perform specific duties and needed finer motor controls.

That is the upper arms done.

Now I need to hunt down more parts for each forearm, probably go a bit beefier and keep the electro-mechanical theme on the left and the hydraulic theme on the right.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 06:23:45 am by maduncle »

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2021, 07:13:41 am »

That little gear box is a truely beautiful thing, looks like some kind of horizontal to vertical 90 degree tranfer, do you know it's original purpose?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:19:15 am by SeVeNeVeS »

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2021, 07:28:58 am »

That little gear box is a truely beautiful thing, looks like some kind of horizontal to vertical 90 degree tranfer, do you know it's original purpose?

It is an old hand drill. I removed a couple of parts and took the covers off so you can see the gears.

Here's a photo of a nicely restored one. My one was not worth restoring.

Advantage is that the elbow below will swivel 360 degrees on the drill shaft and turn the gears.

I am already on eBay, looking at an "egg beater drill" for the forearm on the left, and a Rega stirrup pump for the forearm on the right.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 07:34:23 am by maduncle »

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2021, 12:28:30 pm »
Apropos of nothing much at all other than it caught my eye in one of the photos, I bought one of those Staedtler blue propelling draughting pencils in 1972, in Sydney, at the Uni Coop Bookshop on Broadway, near Central Railway Station. Right now it is on my desk at my left hand. The painted name has worn off, but the rest of the pencil is in perfect working condition. The pencil has been on archaeology field schools, trips to archaeological sites in Ireland, and generally been a hard working, indispensible piece of equipment.
Quality will out!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2021, 12:30:21 pm by Banfili »

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2021, 05:54:58 am »
Apropos of nothing much at all other than it caught my eye in one of the photos, I bought one of those Staedtler blue propelling draughting pencils in 1972, in Sydney, at the Uni Coop Bookshop on Broadway, near Central Railway Station. Right now it is on my desk at my left hand. The painted name has worn off, but the rest of the pencil is in perfect working condition. The pencil has been on archaeology field schools, trips to archaeological sites in Ireland, and generally been a hard working, indispensible piece of equipment.
Quality will out!!

Yes, I have had mine since design school. I also have a box of 144 spare leads.

Did you know that the chrome tip pulls off and is a sharpener? Not many folk do ...

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2021, 12:16:04 pm »
Quality will out!!

Yes, I have had mine since design school. I also have a box of 144 spare leads.
Did you know that the chrome tip pulls off and is a sharpener? Not many folk do ...

I don't have that many spare leads, but I do have the sliding top blue and white box that holds the extra leads! And I do know about the pencil sharpener - a real hidden gem! I can't remember just how many projects I have use that pencil for - definitely made to last. I have a couple of sets of Staedtler draughting pens, too, and the coloured drawing pencil leads with a couple of holders. Good tools!

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2021, 10:29:21 am »
I am calling it finished.

Today I built the lower arms, electro-mechanical on the right and hydraulic on the left.

Added a few more brass dome nuts and then positioned "Brett" ( my wife named it) in the front yard to peer over the fence at passers by.

Nice day today but raining tomorrow so I expect (hope) the gradual rust will start.

Right. Onto the next thing ...

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #65 on: August 30, 2021, 12:40:48 pm »
Brilliant, simply brilliant, maduncle!

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #66 on: September 04, 2021, 04:39:19 pm »

Nice day today but raining tomorrow so I expect (hope) the gradual rust will start.

Fantastic, but I feel sorry for the person who walks up in fog and suddenly this looms up out of the murk in front of them  :D
Persons intending to travel by open carriage should select a seat with their backs to the engine, by which means they will avoid the ashes emitted therefrom, that in travelling generally, but particularly through the tunnels, prove a great annoyance; the carriage farthest from the engine will in consequence be found the most desirable.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #67 on: September 04, 2021, 05:43:20 pm »

Today I built the lower arms, electro-mechanical on the right and hydraulic on the left.

Added a few more brass dome nuts and then positioned "Brett" ( my wife named it) in the front yard to peer over the fence at passers by.

That's pretty awesome, Mad Uncle. Perfect spot to lurk around.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #68 on: September 05, 2021, 07:48:13 am »

Well, I must say I am mighty impressed with the finished piece, my only question has to be........ Is a project ever really finally finished? The next car boot and you see something and in you mind think that could be added to.............

James Harrison

• Immortal
  • Bachelor of the Arts; Master of the Sciences
« Reply #69 on: September 05, 2021, 08:32:00 am »
No project is ever completely finished.  There's always the 'last little bit' or the 'I've had a rethink' or 'I did this bit again as my skills have improved'.

Herr Döktor

• Gadgeteer, Contraptionist, and Inventor, FVSS
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Herr Döktor, and friend.
    • Herr Döktor's Thoughts and Musings
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2021, 09:47:42 am »
Good grief!

Good work!

Good to see you here!

:)

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #71 on: October 09, 2021, 11:41:50 am »
Oh my! Oh my! Oh my!

MWBailey

• Rogue Ætherlord
  • "This is the sort of thing no-one ever believes"
« Reply #72 on: October 16, 2021, 05:23:32 am »
Weyell, I'll be. Kind of looks like an uncle of mine...
Walk softly and carry a big banjo...

""quid statis aspicientes in infernum"

“WHAT?! N0!!! NOT THAT Button!!!”

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2021, 09:51:06 am »
Update.

"RoboBrett" continues to watch over the front gates as he takes on a lovely patina.

He may travel soon as there is word of an event in a small village called Walhalla where his presence may be required.

I am now focussed on some more lighting constructions, photos soonish.