Author Topic: Maduncle has been a bit absent, but …  (Read 7005 times)

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
Maduncle has been a bit absent, but …
« on: June 19, 2021, 10:47:07 am »
Hello friends,

I most sincerely apologise for being MIA for a few years (well - six years actually), but I have found my way back and I have a new project underway in the workshop.

I shall take some photos of the works underway and share shortly.

Lovely to see you all by the way, you are all looking swell.

« Last Edit: June 19, 2021, 11:08:22 am by maduncle »
”Lockstock stonedead shock of a Dog Fenn frown”

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
Re: Maduncle has been a bit absent, but …
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2021, 11:27:56 am »
And so lovely to see you back, sir! You have been missed! Has it really been so long - the time has just flown past, to be sure!

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2021, 11:35:47 am »
Welcome back. ;)
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2021, 11:39:29 am »
Well thank you.

I am constructing my largest piece yet, it will stand tall man size which may offer a clue as to what I am building.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 11:54:42 am »
I am constructing a life size robot.

This is my first attempt at an object of this scale.

The back story is that this is an abandoned agricultural robot specifically manufactured to pick and collect flowers.

It now sits run down and frozen in a field staring at the last flower it picked.

It will have one long articulated arm with pincers for holding a flower stem and another long articulated arm with shears for flower cutting.

It will move on one wheel and sit balanced above the wheel on a rear jointed single leg.

The body is an old motorcycle fuel tank and the head is an old electric drill.

I am busy designing, fabricating and test fitting components, I hope to have more to share soon.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 01:12:07 pm »
Holy crap, another returns.......

Good to see you back, my friend.

so long since you posted....  :o

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2021, 01:59:24 pm »
I am constructing a life size robot.

This is my first attempt at an object of this scale.

The back story is that this is an abandoned agricultural robot specifically manufactured to pick and collect flowers.

It now sits run down and frozen in a field staring at the last flower it picked.

It will have one long articulated arm with pincers for holding a flower stem and another long articulated arm with shears for flower cutting.

It will move on one wheel and sit balanced above the wheel on a rear jointed single leg.

The body is an old motorcycle fuel tank and the head is an old electric drill.

I am busy designing, fabricating and test fitting components, I hope to have more to share soon.

Nice to see you back 'ere, Mad Uncle! And with an automaton to boot!

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2021, 06:11:08 am »
Welcome back maduncle. Glad to hear your creative mind and body is still around. Your present project is inspired by Laputa: Castle in the Sky perhaps?

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2021, 08:53:04 am »
Little bit of tinker time today, repurposing a rusty old piece of farm gear into the spine for the robot.

This is how I found it.

This is it cut down, cleaned, shortened, tapped and fitted into the robot torso.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2021, 08:57:16 am »
Here's a few shots of the robot head and torso in production.

The head is an old drill, easy to repurpose for a head and fitted with lots of spots to mount things - like eye bolts to hold eyes (I mean, what are eye bolts for anyway?).

The body is an old Gillera motorcycle tank, it has the right form for a torso with flared shoulders and a narrowing waist.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2021, 10:31:01 am »
now, that is looking pretty good, oh how I have missed builds like this over the years.

watching with mucho interest, good sir.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2021, 10:37:22 am »
now, that is looking pretty good, oh how I have missed builds like this over the years.

watching with mucho interest, good sir.

Thanks, I was distracted building custom motorcycles for a while but they are all gone now and I have a large workshop full of tools to tinker with.

I think my current and future work will lean more towards the hard industrial steampunk/dieselpunk aesthetic than the highly decorated Victoriana style steampunk.

Banfili

• Zeppelin Admiral
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2021, 11:43:39 am »
The head of the robot reminds me of something, and I am trying to remember what robot it is - Something in Star Wars, I think! Mind you, the Star Wars one wasn't called "Sher"! Perhaps the builders of the robot army?? It's a been a few years since I saw that episode of Star Wars!

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2021, 11:56:17 am »
The head of the robot reminds me of something, and I am trying to remember what robot it is - Something in Star Wars, I think! Mind you, the Star Wars one wasn't called "Sher"! Perhaps the builders of the robot army?? It's a been a few years since I saw that episode of Star Wars!
A drill? or could this be the thing?

Spoiler: ShowHide

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2021, 12:02:49 pm »
A drill? or could this be the thing?

Spoiler: ShowHide

Yes they did come to mind albeit briefly once I mounted the drill head.

The similarity should not be so obvious once I get into the detailing.

SeVeNeVeS

• Master Tinkerer
  • Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2021, 12:34:35 pm »
Looks nothing like it IMO......

Carry on, I'm getting long lost undulations and possibly slightly moist in my creative juices department.......   8)

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2021, 02:33:00 pm »
If you are thinking Star Wars, I think K-2SO (Alan Tudyk's security droid from Rogue One) is more like it. Either way, be it influenced, inspired or having nothing to do with previous designs, it is looking good.

Sorontar

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2021, 05:32:21 am »
A little more today.

I have upgraded my workshop to now include a few larger tools, very handy when making parts fit other parts.

With the aid of my trusty lathe I was able to turn up steel connectors to join tube to universal joints for the shoulders.

Now the arms are in basic form I can determine how long they need to be compared to the rest of the robot when it is all laid out to get a feel for just how tall this is going to be.

That is a tad too tall, so I have taken 30cm out of the steel tube to bring the height down a bit and get the form more balanced.

Next step is to disassemble, clean and reassemble the single pivot wheel. There is some nice old red paint on there I will keep.

Once this wheel is cleaned up I shall weld it to the plough disc base and then I can dry run assemble the whole robot before detailing.

I also have pair of 10cm diameter discs of aluminium on order to serve as the shoulder mounting plates to the torso. They need some hand forming to get them to curve to fit the torso curve so I will be on the panel hammer and shot bag soon.

Lord Pentecost

• Snr. Officer
    • Pentecost Steampunk Builds
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2021, 08:27:04 am »
Not sure if that part you are using for the spine is farm machinery. To me it looks like it might be a train coupling
"Any machine is a smoke-machine if you screw up badly enough"

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2021, 08:33:45 am »
Not sure if that part you are using for the spine is farm machinery. To me it looks like it might be a train coupling

Quite possibly - or tram coupling. There were a lot of old timber mill tramways up this way a while ago.

Hez

• Zeppelin Captain
  • aka Miss Primrose C Leigh
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2021, 02:24:42 am »
I was going to say I can't wait to se the finished work but actually I am enjoying the WIP

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2021, 06:30:31 am »
Thank you Hez, more WIP for you.

Today I cleaned the mono - wheel. Soaked in degreaser and scrubbed with a wire brush. This keeps a lot of the original paint while also cleaning the parts.

I like the old red and green, This may become the colour theme through the build.

The wheel has a bit of nice detail to it, not just a big old wheel barrow wheel.

Next part of the project is another eye for the head.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2021, 10:27:33 am by maduncle »

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 11:53:00 am »
Today I found a spare hour to tinker and built and attached the left eye.

Old brass lens, brass plumbing parts, motorcycle parts and fasteners combined.

I intentionally set one eye higher than the other to give the head a more offset "punk" look.

maduncle

• Zeppelin Captain
  • Indubitably...
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2021, 11:05:24 am »
An hour in the workshop after a dull day at work in training to learn all about how wonderfully complex PowerBI is when I will never use it.

I really need to get on and write my novel so I can be rich and retire from work early.

So that hour was spent in mindful bliss prepping a couple of aluminium discs to act as arm mounts to the torso.

I got to use my all time favourite hand tool - the "nutsert" gun. This little ripper inserts threaded studs into drilled holes, my kit has a range of metric fittings from 3mm to 6mm but they come in all shapes and sizes. Perfect for creating a threaded mounting point where ever you need one in a piece of metal.

All I had time for this evening, and it looks like the weekend will one taken up supporting a local community recovering from a recent storm that hit the hills and brought down a few Mountain Ash (tallest flowering trees in the world) onto homes. So I will be back into tinkering on the robot next week some time.

Meanwhile time to dig out that draft novel first few pages and share them on BG for some feedback ...

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Caledon MacHinery (they/them)
« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2021, 09:11:25 pm »
Woah this is an impressive looking project!
Passion is like a Peatfire