Author Topic: steampunk ducttape?  (Read 5610 times)

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
steampunk ducttape?
« on: April 21, 2021, 12:51:16 am »
there is the going joke that duct tape binds the universe together, and so many people consider it essential for a feild gerry rigging kit. but I find myself wondering if there is a steam punk equivalent?

for that matter there is the backwoods mechanic I know that says there are two types of mechanical problems: It moves and it's not supposed to, and it's supoosed to move and it doesn't. Thus the dynamic duo of any back woods mechanic tool bag is duct tape and wd40.

What are the equivalents? brazing and axel grease? rivets? sardine oil?
When an explosion explodes hard enough, the dust wakes up and thinks about itself.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
  • All ideas should have wings
    • Sorontar
Re: steampunk ducttape?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2021, 10:23:23 am »
Rivets, definitely. They hold my pants up.

Sorontar
Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2021, 11:33:26 am »
Yep, rivets would be my choice.

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Caledon MacHinery (they/them)
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2021, 07:57:51 pm »
i agree with rivets, yes
perhaps solder would be an option too
Passion is like a Peatfire

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2021, 08:17:48 pm »
For me it's safety pins - they hold most of my outfits together...

Yours,
Miranda.

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2021, 05:44:27 am »

Yours,
Miranda.

We once knew this old bloke who was a very wealthy land-owner/orchardist/farmer and he always had an old rubber band looped through the button-hole of his shabby trousers which was then safety-pinned to the other side. A couple of bits of binder-twine then looped through the belt tabs and up and over his shoulders braces-style ensured we (thankfully) never had to see the state of his undergarments... He was worth millions and looked about 12 cents.

rovingjack

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • https://youtube.com/c/RovingJack
    • rovingjack.com
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2021, 12:11:03 am »
We once knew this old bloke who was a very wealthy land-owner/orchardist/farmer and he always had an old rubber band looped through the button-hole of his shabby trousers which was then safety-pinned to the other side. A couple of bits of binder-twine then looped through the belt tabs and up and over his shoulders braces-style ensured we (thankfully) never had to see the state of his undergarments... He was worth millions and looked about 12 cents.

Ooo, weirdly, this reminded me that somebody once referred to baling wire as one of the most useful things in the world. It's essentially safety pins, zip ties, string, and I'd bet you could make quick emergency rivets with bits of it too.

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
  • aka Countess Millicent Addlewood
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2021, 07:15:37 am »

Yours,
Miranda.
Yep, safety pins work best with your outfits, as rivets would definitely be more than a bit jarring. ;)
"Unless you’re prepared to surrender everything, don’t surrender anything."

Society: Be yourself.
Me: OK
Society: No. Not like that.

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2021, 07:29:28 am »
I would think rivets are fine for clothing. After all, how else do you make sure the auto-tightening machinery for your braces and corset lacing holds together? If it doesn't, just add more rivets.

Sorontar 

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 09:21:31 am »
I would think rivets are fine for clothing. After all, how else do you make sure the auto-tightening machinery for your braces and corset lacing holds together? If it doesn't, just add more rivets.

Sorontar 

Ok...Rivets (once attached) with a centered rhinestone. I've actually done that on a Steampunk (non clothing) project.
Should work just well on braces and corsets.

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2021, 10:12:35 pm »
Hand-driven rivets (the ones you put in with a hand-punch thingy*) are very useful. I've used them to add picture hoops to belts from which one may attach all the accouterments a Steampunk needs - compass, magnifying glass, aetheric molecular disrupter...

Yours,
Miranda.

*And from that description you can see how ironic it is that I teach Engineering. Well, blag it in the best way a Physicist can.

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2021, 11:34:54 pm »
Well, that hasn't happened [to me] for a while on this forum....to wit, learned another (British) informal/slang word: blag
Had to look it up. ;)

Caledonian

• Zeppelin Admiral
  • Caledon MacHinery (they/them)
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2021, 12:28:40 am »
Well, that hasn't happened [to me] for a while on this forum....to wit, learned another (British) informal/slang word: blag
Had to look it up. ;)

from living among English speakers for a while now i do have to say they seem to come up with new words every so often. what even are all of these

von Corax

• Squire of the Lambda Calculus
  • Administrator
  • Master Tinkerer
  • Prof. Darwin Prætorius von Corax
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2021, 12:48:12 am »
Had to look it up. ;)

from living among English speakers for a while now i do have to say they seem to come up with new words every so often. what even are all of these
Only when we're too lazy to steal words from other languages.
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
By the Beans of Life do my thoughts acquire speed
My hands acquire a shaking
The shaking becomes a warning
By the power of caffeine do I set my mind in motion
The Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics is 5821 km from Reading

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2021, 03:23:33 am »
Had to look it up. ;)

Only when we're too lazy to steal words from other languages.

Noah Webster (a British colonist born in Connecticut in 1758) didn't bother about stealing.
He just took English words and truncated them ( tonne-> ton), eliminated "redundant" letters (jewellery -> jewelry, waggon -> wagon) and "useless" ones (colour -> color), reversed them (theatre -> theater), preferred "z" to "s" (civilisation -> civilization), and otherwise acted, it appears, rather arbitrarily in modifying his native tongue.  
And his word(s) became lexicological law in what was eventually to become the American language.  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 03:34:39 am by Deimos »

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2021, 08:16:35 am »
Strewth mate. Just think about how much lingo you could cobble together in one arvo.

Sorontar

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2021, 09:58:52 am »
Bostin! (Just to add a bit of Black Country in to the mix...)

Yours,
Miranda.

P.S. have there every been a thread on BG relating to local dialects or words? I'm sure, as Deimos has documented, there are interesting historical stories behind these.

P.P.S. re. creating and stealing more words for English, it's a conspiracy to force the rest of the world to buy new copies of our dictionaries  ;D

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2021, 06:06:05 pm »
Strewth mate. Just think about how much lingo you could cobble together in one arvo.

Sorontar

OK..."strewth" was easy: contraction and [more or less] phonetic spelling of "it's the truth" .
But "bostin" and arvo"? *sigh* ...had to look up those.
"Bostin" (smashing, wizard) I get as it's just a word of exclamation which can be just about any emphatic word, real or contrived.
However, it beats me how 'afternoon' became arvo, but there you have it.  
« Last Edit: April 24, 2021, 06:15:03 pm by Deimos »

Rockula

• Board Moderator
  • Rogue Ætherlord
  • Nothing beats a good hat.
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2021, 06:16:06 pm »

OK..."strewth" was easy: contraction and [more or less] phonetic spelling of "it's the truth" .

Actually it's a contraction from the Cockney 'Gor Strewth' which is 'God's Truth'.

See also 'Gor Blimey' which is 'God Blind Me'.

Both considered blasphemy hence the contractions.
The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...

Deimos

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2021, 06:42:13 pm »
Ah, yes, that makes more sense; similarly Shakespeare's 'sblood  and 'zounds.
Contractions/ alternate spellings and the like typically come about because the actual expression is blasphemous, excessively vulgar or obscene.
George Carlin's " 'Shoot' is just 'sh-t' with two Os" always made me laugh.

Miranda.T

• Zeppelin Captain
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2021, 08:58:39 pm »

Sorontar

"Bostin" (smashing, wizard) I get as it's just a word of exclamation which can be just about any emphatic word, real or contrived.

Absolutely, as in "Ow bist yower fittle mar mon?" "Bostin mar wench, fit fur a trencherman!"

O.K., I'll stop now...

Yowers,
Miranda.

P.S. if the characters in 'Peaky Blinders'  actually spoke the dialects of the time around the Black Country and Birmingham, it would probably need subtitles.

J. Wilhelm

• ╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
  • Board Moderator
  • Immortal
  • Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple
    • NASA Dude
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2021, 11:07:42 pm »
Hand-driven rivets (the ones you put in with a hand-punch thingy*) are very useful. I've used them to add picture hoops to belts from which one may attach all the accouterments a Steampunk needs - compass, magnifying glass, aetheric molecular disrupter...

Yours,
Miranda.

*And from that description you can see how ironic it is that I teach Engineering. Well, blag it in the best way a Physicist can.

Oh. No. No. Engineers and physicists speak different languages. Same as physicists and mathematicians. Quite simply, we engineers don't care about math grammar or nomenclature. f=f(x), n'est-ce pas  ?

Synistor 303

• Snr. Officer
  • Zenyna Ironbracker
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2021, 02:16:46 am »

Sorontar

'Afternoon' became 'Arvo', because if you say "Afternoon!", three flies just flew into your mouth... You can say "Arvo" quickly and with limited gum-flapping, which results in few fly sarnies...

Sorontar

• Administrator
  • Zeppelin Admiral
    • Sorontar
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2021, 09:55:25 am »
Aussies like it short and sweet. Just ask Davo, Baz, Waz, Jez, or even Shazza, next time you go out for a smoko or go down to Maccas.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/australian-nicknames

Sorontar

The Bullet

• Snr. Officer
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2021, 10:07:17 am »
Two little jars,
one containing grease (make it move if it does not want to)
the other containing some sticky semi-liquid stuff that dires out quickly when exposed to air (stops it moving when id should not)

Those jars are held in a small pocket on the  belt.
If brute force does not work....you´re not using enough of it.