The Steampunk Forum at Brass Goggles
April 18, 2021, 12:29:33 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: Support BrassGoggles! Donate once or $3/mo.
 See details here.

Home   Blog Help Rules Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ridiculous subculture wars.  (Read 292 times)
J. Wilhelm
╬ Admiral und Luftschiffengel ╬
Board Moderator
Immortal
United States United States

Sentisne fortunatum punkus? Veni. Diem meum comple

« on: April 02, 2021, 09:27:44 pm »

I was writhing in my seat with laughter when I saw a post on Twitter about confrontations between punks and emos in Mexico City 13 years ago. I don't know if the most hilarious part is that it took place in downtown Mexico City, or that after failing to separate the groups the 150 personnel-strong police force allowed the Hare Krishna to intervene and finally disperse the crowd!

Emos vs Punk DF

"A second group arrived, people with different beliefs, another cult"

- police officer addressing reporter's questions.

Text borrowed from Vice Magazine,
https://www.vice.com/en/article/wdz8qn/emos-vs-punks-124-v15n6

"Legend has it that the whole thing started after the MTV Mexico program Telehit aired an episode with the topic “What is an emo?” The host of the show, an uglier version of Mark McGrath named Kristoff, gave one of those precious talk-show “Let me break it down for you” speeches in which he made crushingly acute observations about emos, such as “Emo is for people who are just starting to grow pubic hair” and “Emos only like a band because the lead singer is cute.” Not really amazing burns, but whatever. Still, his little quips started a war. Shortly after the airing of the episode, the proverbial kids organized an emo-versus-punk showdown at one of the main emo stomping grounds: the Glorieta de Insurgentes in Mexico City.

The day of the face-off, about 200 kids showed up, guarded by about the same number of police officers. The emos lined up on one side and chanted creative things like “Emos, emos, emos!!” and the “punks” (who look like extras from a Billy Idol video) were all like, “DIE!” Then the emos were like, “FUCK YOU!” and the punks were like, “FUCKIN’ FAGS!” and then they threw plastic bottles at each other, made threatening gestures with studded belts, and gave interviews to eager journalists on the sidelines. After two hours of this, a group of robed Hare Krishnas playing drums and singing into loudspeakersJujr happened to gambol through the crowd and the kids dispersed." - Mauricio García for Vice Magazine, Mexico City. June 1, 2008.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 10:03:32 pm by J. Wilhelm » Logged

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2021, 04:01:39 am »

Really giving those emo something to cry about !!

Those Hare Krishna used to scare the wits out of me as a child. Going down the main st of the Auckland CBD on a summer weekend evening in their robes and shaved heads , chanting, shaking their bells and banging their drums. They've since had very sinister reports come out about their boarding schools

https://youtu.be/fEEkX-UGdt0

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 03:46:15 pm »

Those Hare Krishna used to scare the wits out of me as a child. Going down the main st of the Auckland CBD on a summer weekend evening in their robes and shaved heads , chanting, shaking their bells and banging their drums. They've since had very sinister reports come out about their boarding schools

Ha ha ha, that's hilarious. Maybe start a new genre of street dance. The "Krishna Krush"

Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2021, 05:33:14 am »

Ha ha ha, that's hilarious. Maybe start a new genre of street dance. The "Krishna Krush"

Like the Techno Viking . There's a man who knows  how to stop a street fight and protect maidens

https://youtu.be/UjCdB5p2v0Y

J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2021, 06:50:19 am »

Like the Techno Viking . There's a man who knows  how to stop a street fight and protect maidens

Ha ha ha! WTF is this? The blue haired girl quickly disappeared, then the "Viking" starts something akin to Michael Jackson video, ha, ha, ha!
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2021, 09:35:03 am »

Ha ha ha! WTF is this? The blue haired girl quickly disappeared, then the "Viking" starts something akin to Michael Jackson video, ha, ha, ha!

It's the Devil's work of the  sinful heathens !  Shocked
Rockula
Board Moderator
Rogue Ætherlord
United Kingdom United Kingdom

Nothing beats a good hat.

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2021, 11:25:36 am »

Hare Krishna has always given me the creeps since I saw Romero's 'Dawn Of The Dead' in 1978.  Smiley

The legs have fallen off my Victorian Lady...
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2021, 01:33:22 am »

Hare Krishna has always given me the creeps since I saw Romero's 'Dawn Of The Dead' in 1978.  Smiley

Life imitating art
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2021, 01:37:24 am »

Romero may we'll have been inspired by the  more pagan and ritualist street performance of a previous generation of Hare Krishna. It featured a more haunting shamanic  overtone than these current displays.

morozow
Zeppelin Captain
Russian Federation Russian Federation

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2021, 07:08:22 pm »

ДМБ. Призыв кришнаитов в химвойска.

We have beliefs.
- What are your beliefs?
"We believe in our Lord Govinda. And he doesn't tell us to shoot people.
- That's it. You're good for us. And your Govinda is all right, a little thin, but nothing. And again, you do not need to cut your hair. And you people can be seen to be hardy, three hours of Hari-krishna yelling, it's not everyone who gets it.
You will join the chemical forces.

Sorry for the errors, rudeness and stupidity. It's not me, this online translator. Really convenient?
Hurricane Annie
Zeppelin Captain
New Zealand New Zealand

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2021, 09:05:57 am »

We have beliefs.
- What are your beliefs?
- That's it. You're good for us. And your Govinda is all right, a little thin, but nothing. And again, you do not need to cut your hair. And you people can be seen to be hardy, three hours of Hari-krishna yelling, it's not everyone who gets it.

What are the "chemical forces" ?  Is it safe to join ?
Sorontar
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

All ideas should have wings

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2021, 11:34:23 am »

Maybe just a return to the basic chemistry...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpKCqp9CALQ

Sorontar, Captain of 'The Aethereal Dancer'
Advisor to HM Engineers on matters aethereal, aeronautic and cosmographic
http://eyrie.sorontar.com
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2021, 02:47:08 pm »

We have beliefs.
- What are your beliefs?

"And your Govinda is all right, a little thin, but nothing. And you people can be seen to be hardy, three hours of Hari-krishna yelling, it's not everyone who gets it."

Ha ha ha! If they fit in why not?   Grin
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2021, 02:49:35 pm »

We have beliefs.
- What are your beliefs?

What are the "chemical forces" ?  Is it safe to join ?

We would call it "chemical warfare division" , or some such in the West
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2021, 02:51:38 pm »

Maybe just a return to the basic chemistry...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpKCqp9CALQ

Different kind of chemistry, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind. Just showing our age here....
J. Wilhelm
Board Moderator
Immortal

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2021, 02:53:38 pm »

Hare Krishna is not particularly a numerous bunch, but they're very widespread in the west. I don't suppose they'd be considered for chaplain service in the army. I know the US Army has Buddhist chaplains and even Hindu besides Christian, Muslim and Jewish.
Deimos
Snr. Officer

aka Countess Millicent Addlewood

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2021, 03:17:02 pm »

Hare Krishna is not particularly a numerous bunch, but they're very widespread in the west. I don't suppose they'd be considered for chaplain service in the army. I know the US Army has Buddhist chaplains and even Hindu besides Christian, Muslim and Jewish.
But no Zoroastrian, I guess.....

Here is a test to find out if your mission in life is complete:
If you're alive, it isn't. -- Lauren Bacall

"You can tell a man's vices by his friends, his virtues by his enemies."

"Only the paranoid survive."
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2021, 09:13:58 pm »

"And your Govinda is all right, a little thin, but nothing. And you people can be seen to be hardy, three hours of Hari-krishna yelling, it's not everyone who gets it."

This is a black comedy about the post-Soviet army. The army was waiting for everyone.

"It was a difficult year: taxes, disasters, prostitution, banditry and a shortage in the army. It was impossible to put up with the latter, and a knowledgeable person — our military commissar-took up the task. He gathered all the parasites, fools and cripples in the area, even the deaf identified in the border guard "Alpine grouse". So many years have already passed, and they are still somewhere strange!" (с)

As for the chemical troops, I thought it would be necessary to clarify. The full name is the Troops of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Protection. Those who serve in them are unlikely to have to shoot people. But walking for hours in a rubber chemical protection suit really needs endurance.

I'm sorry for being so boring.
Synistor 303
Snr. Officer
Australia Australia

Zenyna Ironbracker

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2021, 03:24:03 am »

This is a black comedy about the post-Soviet army. The army was waiting for everyone.

"It was a difficult year: taxes, disasters, prostitution, banditry and a shortage in the army. It was impossible to put up with the latter, and a knowledgeable person — our military commissar-took up the task. He gathered all the parasites, fools and cripples in the area, even the deaf identified in the border guard "Alpine grouse". So many years have already passed, and they are still somewhere strange!" (с)

As for the chemical troops, I thought it would be necessary to clarify. The full name is the Troops of Radiation, Chemical and Biological Protection. Those who serve in them are unlikely to have to shoot people. But walking for hours in a rubber chemical protection suit really needs endurance.

Not the slightest bit boring! I look forward to your posts - I must be tuned to Russian humour.
morozow
Zeppelin Captain

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2021, 09:17:18 pm »

Not the slightest bit boring! I look forward to your posts - I must be tuned to Russian humour.

That's somewhere like this - http://brassgoggles.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,47544.msg1009244.html#msg1009244
Banfili
Zeppelin Admiral
Australia Australia

« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2021, 12:07:22 am »

They have Pagan chaplains, I believe. There is a Pagan Chaplain's handbook. I think I have an e-copy somewhere.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: